Seth Green to Minnesota?

With all the much ado about Seth Green, how come we are not hearing the Gophers coaches paying him an in home visit down in Texas?

I am beginning to really worry about our QB recruitin' situation and about losing both Sean Foster and Tony Poljan.
Potentially, these two will come back to haunt us.

Let's hear about players committing this weekend! Come on, let us hear some good news. Preeeeeeetty pleeeease Santa!

I wouldn't worry too much about the QB recruiting situation right now. We don't have an OC or a QB coach right now, it's difficult to recruit a QB without either of those in place. It might be the craziest commitment of all time if Green commits and we don't have either coach. Just give it some time. The same goes for OL commits.

That being said, Castillo and Byrd commitments this weekend would be great.

We need some good news.

As previously mentioned everywhere here, this has been one crazy season at the U. Everything is so out of sync and disjointed.

We need to bury this season starting next Tuesday with the exorcism of Mega Tongue & Title IX investigation report, hiring a new OC/other coach(es), truly getting the construction of the new facilities underway, and getting a new AD by the start of Spring Football practices.

No idea what to think about the kid. Obviously has talent but Oregon no longer wants him at QB (not that their staff has developed a QB behind Mariotta) after the last year. I think QB is extremely tough to predict and recruit and as a guy just watching highlights its impossible to tell if he has the mental and intangibles to play QB at a high level

No idea what to think about the kid. Obviously has talent but Oregon no longer wants him at QB (not that their staff has developed a QB behind Mariotta) after the last year. I think QB is extremely tough to predict and recruit and as a guy just watching highlights its impossible to tell if he has the mental and intangibles to play QB at a high level

I can't get too excited about either of these recruits, Green and Howard. Howard jumps off the film as a little more athletic and he throws a rope but his completion percentage has hovered around 50% for his career. He did put up monster yardage and TDs. He was also blitzed on almost every snap on his hudl (instead of a largely clean pocket and huge holes with Green) which could explain some of the stats red flags.

Green, I just can't buy the argument that he split time/came off the bench because he's not from Texas. That seems a bit optimistic IMO. Seems like Jonke could come off the bench instead of the reverse, if that were the case,to get him some reps for his senior campaign. Huge red flag IMO. Is it attitude, mental acuity, etc etc etc. Oregon went out and got a different QB which should open some eyes.

As a school, we will probably need to compromise a bit and get some projects or undersized producers for now. I was excited abou the Poljan project but it looks like I need to get excited about the Howard or Green project. Howard looks like he a gamer and has produced, which is exciting. Perhaps there will be another.

I can't get too excited about either of these recruits, Green and Howard. Howard jumps off the film as a little more athletic and he throws a rope but his completion percentage has hovered around 50% for his career. He did put up monster yardage and TDs. He was also blitzed on almost every snap on his hudl (instead of a largely clean pocket and huge holes with Green) which could explain some of the stats red flags.

Green, I just can't buy the argument that he split time/came off the bench because he's not from Texas. That seems a bit optimistic IMO. Seems like Jonke could come off the bench instead of the reverse, if that were the case,to get him some reps for his senior campaign. Huge red flag IMO. Is it attitude, mental acuity, etc etc etc. Oregon went out and got a different QB which should open some eyes.

As a school, we will probably need to compromise a bit and get some projects or undersized producers for now. I was excited abou the Poljan project but it looks like I need to get excited about the Howard or Green project. Howard looks like he a gamer and has produced, which is exciting. Perhaps there will be another.

If they were both going to play quite a bit, my guess is that Jonke would be the starter. He is from that area, he went through the youth football program, etc. If you're going to split time between both of them, Jonke would be the one I would think would start.

Exactly. I've watched Green play a number of times and he impressed but didn't wow me, but the tools are there. The kid had legitimate offers to play QB at Oregon, Michigan St., Iowa, Wisky, Texas, etc, etc, etc. Name me the last MN QB recruit who had an offer list like that? Tell me who we are going to sign at this juncture that is better than Green?

The best scenario for this class is that we sign Seth and Keon Howard.

Obviously the chance of a 4 or 5 star QB panning out are better than a 2 star, but I love the underdogs. Aaron Rodgers was offered a walk on at Illinois coming out of high school.

Jeff Tedford gave him his sole offer coming out of community college. It's an inexact science at best. So many variables. Some coaches hit gold. If the average team can hit on one prospect every 3 to 4 years that puts it all together that team is going to be pretty good.

If they were both going to play quite a bit, my guess is that Jonke would be the starter. He is from that area, he went through the youth football program, etc. If you're going to split time between both of them, Jonke would be the one I would think would start.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Can you name any other successful college QB that didn't start their senior year (aside from injury)? Allen clearly has a dominant team, and Green benefitted from that. I think some are looking for any positive angle to explain what has happened.

Why has Oregon reportedly told him he's a tight end? Why has no other program swooped in?

Sorry, I don't buy it. Can you name any other successful college QB that didn't start their senior year (aside from injury)? Allen clearly has a dominant team, and Green benefitted from that. I think some are looking for any positive angle to explain what has happened.

Why has Oregon reportedly told him he's a tight end? Why has no other program swooped in?
Allen High School is not just any high school football program, have you seen their stadium? As Bob_Loblaw stated, Green and Jonke would probably be the 2 best high school quarterbacks in the state of Minnesota had they played there. Oregon can be a bit more selective than Minnesota, that doesn't mean Green can't be a good QB.

All this tells me is that he's considered a top-flight athlete and that Oregon feels they have better options at QB.
How do you know other programs haven't swooped in and tried to flip him?

Some interesting talk about Seth and Allen on a Texas HS football forum. According to one of the posts, he started out 1-6 with 3 picks and got benched. I'd still be thrilled to have him though.

http://www.texasfbt.com/forum/-6-a-...89-looks-like-seth-green-is-the-allen-starter

That was the first time got benched -- in game #5. Jonke subsequently struggled and Green immediately reclaimed his spot. Green then got benched a second time when he went 2-9 in game #9. Jonke has been starting ever since; Green has only 21 pass attempts the past four games to Jonke's 71.

That was the first time got benched -- in game #5. Jonke subsequently struggled and Green immediately reclaimed his spot. Green then got benched a second time when he went 2-9 in game #9. Jonke has been starting ever since; Green has only 21 pass attempts the past four games to Jonke's 71.

In the meantime, Tony Poljan is player of the year in Michigan:
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/gatorade-michigan-football-poy-tony-poljan

Did he de-commit, or was he release from his commitment? At 6'7" 230 lbs, wecan sure use him as a LB if he is nor going to play QB. Is MN completely out of the picture?

I guess from a character and leadership standpoint, I have better vibes about him than with Seth Green.

With all the much ado about Seth Green, how come we are not hearing the Gophers coaches paying him an in home visit down in Texas?

I am beginning to really worry about our QB recruitin' situation and about losing both Sean Foster and Tony Poljan.
Potentially, these two will come back to haunt us.

Let's hear about players committing this weekend! Come on, let us hear some good news. Preeeeeeetty pleeeease Santa!

Don't worry about Green. He's still playing right now. If he loses today he'll visit next weekend and things should move quickly.

In the meantime, Tony Poljan is player of the year in Michigan:
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/gatorade-michigan-football-poy-tony-poljan

Did he de-commit, or was he release from his commitment? At 6'7" 230 lbs, wecan sure use him as a LB if he is nor going to play QB. Is MN completely out of the picture?

I guess from a character and leadership standpoint, I have better vibes about him than with Seth Green.

I was wondering the same thing. Make a real DE out of him.

Here are the last 3 weeks of playoff numbers for Seth:

Round 1 7 attempts 4 completions 37 yards. 9 rush for 41 yards. Vs Byron
Round 2 4 attempts 1 completion 44 yards. 6 rush for 81 yards. Vs Desoto
Round 3 6 attempts 3 completions 62 yards. 10 rush for 20 yards. Vs Arlington Martin

To summarize, against decent competition in the playoffs Green has 17 attempts, 8 completions, 47% for 143 yards. He rushed 25 times for 142 yards for a 5.68 average.

I watched the tape of Jonke and he has a clean pocket on every throw. Anyone looks good when it's essentially a 7 on 7 drill. Allen is a top 5 national program. Dominating lines, dominant defenses make it hard to know how they will do under duress in college.

Always recruit the very best line you can! Can't express that enough. We need at least 4 O-line signees per year. If they cannot pass and be an all American tackle, and a great place holder for the buffet line, they are dead to me as a recruit.

The competition Green is playing at Allen high school is light years better than anything in Minnesota or Michigan. Jonke is a fantastic high school quarterback, probably one of the best in the country. And he will be a D1 quarterback. But his skills aren't going to translate as well as Green's. If you don't want Seth Green, you're crazy.

The competition Green is playing at Allen high school is light years better than anything in Minnesota or Michigan. Jonke is a fantastic high school quarterback, probably one of the best in the country. And he will be a D1 quarterback. But his skills aren't going to translate as well as Green's. If you don't want Seth Green, you're crazy.

Really now? And you're calling us crazy. Join the Iowa fans in the padded room.

Allen wins and Green finishes with 1 rush for 6 yards in late, late mop up duty. He was also credited with a 4-yard reception earlier in the game.

Not the same situation, but similar. Matt Cassell has carved out a nice career in the NFL dispite never even being close to beating out Matt Leinart at USC.

Not the same situation, but similar. Matt Cassell has carved out a nice career in the NFL dispite never even being close to beating out Matt Leinart at USC.

I would argue they're not similar at all. Cassell and Leinart had impressive high school careers to even be considered by USC. Jonke plays at a high profile program, is the starter, but hasn't garnered a single offer at any level. Most of the top 2017 QBs have at least an offer at this point.

Seth Green was rated on athletic potential and a strong camp appearance, but has failed to wow, has played sparingly this season, and has recently been flirting with other teams again after Oregon told him he would not be a QB there, despite Oregon really hurting at the position. He was re-rated below Tony Poljan, another dual threat QB and Michigan Player of the Year, by 247 sports.

Look, I hope he'll prove some of us wrong in a big way and be an all Big-ten type of player. I hope he has a strong mind and fights through this instead of taking the woe is me route we see so often. IF he comes to the gophers I'm going to cheer him on as hard as I can and overlook any faults and growing pains as best I can, because he's one of us. I'd love for us to find a CJ Beathard or Connor Cook type of underrated high school player and maybe Seth is that type of player. Maybe Keon Howard. Maybe Demry Croft. Maybe it's someone we haven't heard the name of yet.

Some of you forget that we are the University of Minnesota. Top QBs are not lining up to play for us. If a 4 star QB is considering us, he's gonna have warts. I don't know how you can justify your bitching if Green does want to come here. Who else are we going to get?

Some momentum on Twitter right now that this may be a done deal.

Top Bottom