Seantrel Henderson has selected his five official visits

dalostpinoy

Reaction score
cut from ESPN recruiting blog http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4403921&name=Midwest_Recruiting:

The country's No. 1 offensive tackle, Seantrel Henderson (St. Paul, Minn./Cretin-Derham), has selected his five official visits according to his father Sean Henderson.

"I definitely know his five official visits," Sean Henderson said. "He will visit Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, USC and Notre Dame.

"So far he has Ohio State Sept. 12. Notre Dame will probably be Oct. 17. And USC is Nov. 28 tentatively."

Seantrel will visit Ohio State the weekend the Buckeyes play USC. Oct. 17 is the weekend the Irish take on USC. The weekend of Nov. 28 the Trojans play UCLA.

"He is going to the Oklahoma-Texas game just to watch," Sean Henderson said. "I'm not sure when he will make his official visit to Oklahoma. And I'm not sure about the date for his Florida visit."

Henderson, the No. 4 prospect on the ESPNU 150, has scholarship offers from dozens and dozens of schools across the country. He is still considering a host of other schools including Minnesota, though he is not planning to make an official visit with the Gophers.

"We live here," Sean Henderson said. "He's been to Minnesota a thousand times. And he's made unofficial visits to Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan State. Everybody is still a possibility. But the schools he is taking official visits to are all pretty high on his list."

Those are some huge games he is going to and he will definitely get a good perspective of what games days are like for big games with those respective schools.

Interesting that USC plays in every game he has scheduled thus far.

It's too bad Oklahoma and Florida don't play the Trojans this year, because he would schedule those games too.

I guess none of this is a real surprise. It's scary that ND is now an official visit, though.

I was at the USC/ND game in October 2007 and saw Michael Floyd and other recruits on the golf cart getting a tour of campus before the game that day. The next day, Floyd announced he had chosen Notre Dame. This was even after ND lost to USC 41-0. Of course, it was also the same day that the Gophers lost to NDSU.

Any visit to ND is hard to not be impressed. Visiting on the weekend of the USC game is impossible to not be blown away. We'll see what happens for Henderson. I agree, it's interesting that almost all of his visits are vs. USC. Too bad we don't play them this year...ha.

nananaaaaana nananaaaaana
hey hey hey
good bye.

Time to cut ties and put on a full court press for beau allen!!!

Well, I don't like that he isn't going to be at the Gophers vs. Air Force game - the inaugural game of the new stadium - because there will be such a buildup, but maybe he will be at the Wisconsin game (unofficial visit), or Michigan State which both should be important games and have crazy atmospheres.

No matter what happens, it is what it is...

He's obviously scouting USC for next year's game so he knows how to best play them. Great job, Seantrel. :)

nananaaaaana nananaaaaana
hey hey hey
good bye.

Time to cut ties and put on a full court press for beau allen!!!

I know this is the whole "I'm dumping you so I don't get dumped" mentality, but assuming you're serious then its just silly. You don't give up on the #1 recruit in the country when he's in your backyard. You especially don't give up on the #1 recruit in the country when he happens to play for the FB powerhouse in your state. This is a pipeline school that you MUST have good ties with to win at the U and cutting off the recruitment of the biggest stud they’ve had since Mauer is a good way to make sure a CDH kid never considers the Gophers again.
Keeping up the effort and pressure on Henderson costs the Gophers NOTHING. His school is literally 6 miles away from campus and his potential position coach’s son goes to CDH. We’re not talking about weekly plane rides to Houston here.

A 2009 Golden Gopher season that ends in a Rose Bowl win could assist in changing his mind.

A 2009 Golden Gopher season that ends in a Rose Bowl win could assist in changing his mind.

Unless the Gophers show they are ready to enter into the upper echelon of team, you are probably right!

The only thing I'm getting tired of is one elite CDH player after another giving the U no chance and being pipelined right into Notre Dame.

If the Gophers are ever going to really take the next step, they need to end the obvious issues they have with CDH. We have to build the bridge from CDH to the U and somehow clog the pipeline from St. Paul to South Bend. The only option we have for doing that now is to keep recruiting Henderson and not give up on him. If we think he is too good for us he will surely think that too.

Anyone else getting tired of hearing about this guy?

Absolutely. Wish he made his decision more quickly, because it's all we're going to hear about 'til February. At least we'll have a 'lil football to bide our time in the process.

Can someone explain what can be done during an official visit that can't be done for an unofficial one? And are those things important to landing a local recruit who already spent a lot of time around the program?

The only thing I'm getting tired of is one elite CDH player after another giving the U no chance and being pipelined right into Notre Dame.

If the Gophers are ever going to really take the next step, they need to end the obvious issues they have with CDH. We have to build the bridge from CDH to the U and somehow clog the pipeline from St. Paul to South Bend. The only option we have for doing that now is to keep recruiting Henderson and not give up on him. If we think he is too good for us he will surely think that too.

I think this is one of those things that's more perception than reality. If you look back since 2002 (the earliest year Rivals has data available), 14 CDH recruits have signed with a D-IA program. Of those, 4 signed with Notre Dame. Since Carufel transferred back home, that gives them a net result of 3 CDH recruits (Freeman, Harris, and Floyd) in 8 years. I personally wouldn't consider that a "pipeline".

I think we need to be concerned about CDH players going anywhere other than MN - not just Notre Dame.

I think this is one of those things that's more perception than reality. If you look back since 2002 (the earliest year Rivals has data available), 14 CDH recruits have signed with a D-IA program. Of those, 4 signed with Notre Dame. Since Carufel transferred back home, that gives them a net result of 3 CDH recruits (Freeman, Harris, and Floyd) in 8 years. I personally wouldn't consider that a "pipeline".

I think we need to be concerned about CDH players going anywhere other than MN - not just Notre Dame.

Good point and information, dpodoll68. I didn't realize that data. I agree....the clear anti-Gophers mentality at CDH (at least when they have elite players come along) is the biggest problem that somehow must be overcome or hopefully changed.

Can someone explain what can be done during an official visit that can't be done for an unofficial one? And are those things important to landing a local recruit who already spent a lot of time around the program?

The short answer is that on an "official" the school can pay for everything -- plane, hotel, food, entertainment, etc. While on an "unofficial" the player has to pay for their own trip, except for tickets they can get for free.

Interesting that USC plays in every game he has scheduled thus far.

It's too bad Oklahoma and Florida don't play the Trojans this year, because he would schedule those games too.
Not that interesting. His old man is calling the shots and I suspect his old man is already receiving bags of cash from Sneaky Pete Carroll.

The short answer is that on an "official" the school can pay for everything -- plane, hotel, food, entertainment, etc. While on an "unofficial" the player has to pay for their own trip, except for tickets they can get for free.

This is correct. I would also add, to further elaborate, that their "compensation" for unofficial visits is limited to 3 tickets that are issued on a pass list - that is to say, they can only enter through a special gate where their name is on a list, and they must provide ID to prove who they are. This is to prevent recruits from selling the tickets and profiting from them.

The games they can attend must be regular season only, and within a 30-mile radius of campus. This is to prevent a potential unfair recruiting advantage by hosting recruits for a tournament game in basketball or a bowl game in football.

Then I take it, the coaches can spend the same amount of time with an unofficial visiting recruit as one on an official visit? I'm just trying to get a sense of how much opportunity we're missing by not having Seantrel on an official visit.

What are they going to pay for...a few gallons of gas? Dinner at the local steakhouse?

Even if we don't get him, there is no way you can slam Brewster for not getting him. Brewster has done a great job recruiting so far.

What are they going to pay for...a few gallons of gas? Dinner at the local steakhouse?

He would stay at a hotel and get the full treatment just like any out of town recruit. They would pay for everything but a plane ticket basically.

The only interesting thing here is which 5 schools he will be visiting. He stated long ago that Minnesota will not get an official because he sees them enough and can visit anytime. He's also stated he won't make his decision until LOI day. We need to settle down and not read every little press clipping as a sign that he is going somewhere else. So far he's done exactly what he said he was going to do.

I get why Seantrel would take a look at some of the best schools in the country (except ou). They will offer him the world and they will make him offers he can't refuse. It will be hard for a young kid to turn that down. I went to a BXII school in Texas and also attended a masters program in oklahoma. Oklahoma is probably not a good fit for the kid. It's a pretty backward state that is 80% very conservative and Norman is a very white town. I really believe it would be a bad fit. USC, Florida, ND, and Ohio State are all great football schools, but here's my take. Whey go to one of these schools where you'll have 10 other guys just like you. He'll have to compete and may not start his first year. At Minnesota, he will have a brand new stadium and he would be HERO if he stays local. He would be a giant fish in a smaller pond. He would immediately contribute and be "The Man." I'm not a Big10 guy, but I would go see Seantrel if he did this. I would have an enormous amount of respect for this kid. Good luck to him wherever he goes, but It would be nice to see him suit up in Maroon and Gold.

I get why Seantrel would take a look at some of the best schools in the country (except ou). They will offer him the world and they will make him offers he can't refuse. It will be hard for a young kid to turn that down. I went to a BXII school in Texas and also attended a masters program in oklahoma. Oklahoma is probably not a good fit for the kid. It's a pretty backward state that is 80% very conservative and Norman is a very white town. I really believe it would be a bad fit. USC, Florida, ND, and Ohio State are all great football schools, but here's my take. Whey go to one of these schools where you'll have 10 other guys just like you. He'll have to compete and may not start his first year. At Minnesota, he will have a brand new stadium and he would be HERO if he stays local. He would be a giant fish in a smaller pond. He would immediately contribute and be "The Man." I'm not a Big10 guy, but I would go see Seantrel if he did this. I would have an enormous amount of respect for this kid. Good luck to him wherever he goes, but It would be nice to see him suit up in Maroon and Gold.

Uh oh, you didn't get dpodoll's permission before posting this and talking about another school.

Top Bottom