Sean Henderson talks about meeting the Kiffin's, says Seantrel to wrap up with Brew

I don't understand where Miami fits in to all of this at all. It has to be all about the location. ACC football is so weak compared to the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-10, and Big 12. Didn't Seantrel see the 2nd best Big Ten team destroy the #1 ACC team in this year's Orange Bowl? And the most people nation wide would put Big Ten as the third or fourth ranked conference out of the four I listed. I'm guessing Seantrel is just using this weekend's trip to get out of the sub-zero temperatures.

Miami being in the mix could be part of a number of things.

- If it's true that Mom and Dad said they'd move to wherever Seantrel goes to school and get jobs there, Miami would be more appealing then Columbus. tOSU could arrange jobs, but not the city or the climate.

- If Dad wants a rumored music career, Miami wouldn't be LA, but it wouldn't be bad. I wonder where Jimmy Jam and Terry's loyalty lies?:p

- Randy Shannon seems like a decent fellow.

- Maybe they saw the special on the other "U" and thought the chances of getting "Maurice Clarett" money at tOSU or " Randy Bush or O.J. Mayo" money at USC were much less the getting sideline payoffs in Miami. (I kid, I kid)

Maybe we just don't know, but I do like your weather theory the most!

What is Sean Henderson supposed to say? "Kiffin is a fraud. He stunk up our house"? It's not going to happen. He's being diplomatic, and that's the way to go. He's a parent and a role model. He's supposed to take the high road in matters concerning his son.

I think people have been much too hard on Sean Henderson. If Seantrel signs with the Gophers, what will you say? You'll be loving him then, won't you?

This is spot on. By chance of luck, my neighbor is being recruited to play D1 hockey. He is not yet a senior and talking to his family and people around him the pressure is already huge. This is for hockey, where he will not be under the kind of microscope that a D1 football recruit would be, let alone a top 2 player in the nation. Regardless of what you think of Sean Henderson and his motives, I think he has done a good, fair job in this process. He has not disparaged any team or program. tpbeight is right, if he says "Kiffin is a fraud", he's getting lambasted by SC fans. Better to get lambasted for complimenting someone than ripping someone, it burns many fewer bridges. The conundrum for Sean is that no matter where his son goes, 5 other fanbase finalists will delude themselves with the statement: "His dad made him go there, otherwise he would be here for sure". Strangely, the only place to avoid that is by going to Minnesota, in which case the statement will change to "he only went to Minnesota because his mom wanted him close". That said, I'm encouraged that they are giving Brew the final meeting. Regardless of his choice, they certainly seem to have given Coach Brew a fair opportunity. That said, I still think our chances are less than 5%. C'mon Brew, pull the rabbit out of the hat!!!!!!!!!

You think that just being in the running for a local kid, even if he is the #2 recruit in the country, should be enough to lay off Brewster? If he misses out on Henderson it will be just another example of Brewster failing to get the top kid in his own state. I hope Brewster pulls this off and am glad he'll get the last word Sunday night, but to give Brewster credit for being in the race this late is ridiculous. We better be in the running for this kid... he goes go to high school 10 minutes from the U for crying out loud.

If Henderson doesn't come here I think it's safe to say he was just being courteous to his home state's university by making it look like he was actually considering coming here.

Great setup troll! :rolleyes: Gee, Brew sucks unless he lands SH, who can go to any school in the nation. Of course, you don't know the kid, his family or any circumstances of his recruitment beyond what you read, but you sure know that if Brew misses on him he is an abject failure. Brilliant. Here's a bit of advice, a good troll would be a little more subtle, a little less transparent. Don't get me wrong, I think that Brew needs to step his game up and prove he is leading the program forward. But posts like this are as completely idiotic as the Brew can do no wrong posts. We need more guys like the "Scourge of Section 246" guy in the Russian hat, at least he can call both the good and bad.

You think that just being in the running for a local kid, even if he is the #2 recruit in the country, should be enough to lay off Brewster? If he misses out on Henderson it will be just another example of Brewster failing to get the top kid in his own state. I hope Brewster pulls this off and am glad he'll get the last word Sunday night, but to give Brewster credit for being in the race this late is ridiculous. We better be in the running for this kid... he goes go to high school 10 minutes from the U for crying out loud.

If Henderson doesn't come here I think it's safe to say he was just being courteous to his home state's university by making it look like he was actually considering coming here.

this is just a stupid comment. If he chooses Ohio State instead of USC is it safe to say he was just being courteous to them to make it look like he was actually considering going there? You have no idea what is going through Seantrel's mind and no idea who is actually a close 2nd and who the pretenders are.

I would bet Seantrel is more torn than his parents. Seantrel is (mostly) the one who has built up a very close and presumably loyal relationship with Brewster for 3+ years. His parents aren't the ones who have to turn down 5 other coaches. Turning down Brewster would be harder than any other coach or school. Yet I'm sure there is also substantial allure to the "helmet schools" and all of their glitz...especially to an 18 year old. Most of his classmates will be going to the U or some local school. There is a pull to be "different," to reaffirm your uniqueness.

The thing I hope Henderson eventually realizes, though, is that ironically, if he chooses one of the other schools he WON'T be different. It'll be like every other top recruit choosing the "easy" way, the established, name school. He would break the mold by choosing Minnesota. He would give a permanent boost to the program, and he sure as heck would help his pro chances (by starting from day 1, against future pro linemen in the Big Ten, and being coached by a former NFL line coach).

I'll tell you one thing, if he commits here it may save Brewster's job.

this is just a stupid comment. If he chooses Ohio State instead of USC is it safe to say he was just being courteous to them to make it look like he was actually considering going there? You have no idea what is going through Seantrel's mind and no idea who is actually a close 2nd and who the pretenders are.

Very true bankonit; and yet all of us, myself included, talk about it. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Here's to a damn happy February 3 & 4!:drink:

If the him is Seantrel, yes. If its Sean....probably not. Once a meddling father, always a meddling father.

And if Seantrel does elsewhere, it will just be like any other recruit that we miss on. Hope when we play them in the future we kick thier ass and show them they were stupid to leave....

How is he a meddling father? Because he's the spokesman for his son? Because he gives the recruiting updates? Would it be better if he just stepped aside and let Seantrel answer the phone and do the interviews? The kid is a student. He's got other things on his plate in addition to trying tom make this huge decision. His father is trying to help him out. Guide him. You know.....like a father is supposed to. I think he's doing it right, and i think he's doing a good job. A father is supposed to "meddle" in his son's affairs.

Regardless of what anyone thinks certain people's motives are, the Henderson's have been extremely classy about Seantrel's recruitment. They should be commended.

Is this a serious question? USC isn't his home state, why would he feel the need to be courteous to them? You see this all the time with big time recruits from state's like ours. The player could go anywhere he wants but still includes his hometown team on his list, and yes many times it's just to be courteous. You have to be the most naive poster on this board.

What a whiff by Texas on Lache Seastrunk! How could a school like that let such a high caliber player leave for another school? Ridiculous.

Don't get me started on how Ohio State lost 3 of their top 4 in-state recruits either. With potential to lose all 4 depending on what Jordan Hicks decides.

Penn St didn't get their top 2in-states, and they weren't even in the final 2 for Terrelle Pryor!

Someone needs to have a talking with Mack, Jimmy, and Joey.

Pay attention.

Great setup troll! :rolleyes: Gee, Brew sucks unless he lands SH, who can go to any school in the nation. Of course, you don't know the kid, his family or any circumstances of his recruitment beyond what you read, but you sure know that if Brew misses on him he is an abject failure. Brilliant. Here's a bit of advice, a good troll would be a little more subtle, a little less transparent. Don't get me wrong, I think that Brew needs to step his game up and prove he is leading the program forward. But posts like this are as completely idiotic as the Brew can do no wrong posts. We need more guys like the "Scourge of Section 246" guy in the Russian hat, at least he can call both the good and bad.

Troll? Do you believe Brewster deserves credit for simply being in the running for Henderson? He'll deserve credit when he lands Henderson. You certainly don't set the bar very high. I don't believe a coach deserves credit for being in the running for the top rated kid in his OWN state. I simply said it will be the 3rd year in a row he failed to get the #1 recruit in his own state. Not sure how you can argue with anything I said.

You obviously don't know much about recruiting. With kids as highly regarded as SH, and programs with the current state that Minnesota is in, YES it is impressive that Minnesota is still in it. If you don't think so, you are a bit delusional.

What a whiff by Texas on Lache Seastrunk! How could a school like that let such a high caliber player leave for another school? Ridiculous.

Don't get me started on how Ohio State lost 3 of their top 4 in-state recruits either. With potential to lose all 4 depending on what Jordan Hicks decides.

Penn St didn't get their top 2in-states, and they weren't even in the final 2 for Terrelle Pryor!

Pay attention.

I hope you didn't just compare the high school talent of Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania to Minnesota. Let me ask you this... Should Jim Tressel get credit for being in the running for those top kids in Ohio? Of course not... he gets credit when he lands them. And again, comparing those states to our situation is absurd. It's like hockey in Minnesota. Lucia can never get ALL the best talent to come to the U because there's way too many players that can go to Wisky, NoDak, and other top programs. Same with Ohio and Texas for football. Your post is simply absurd.

Pay attention.

Actually Seastrunk wasn't wanted at Texas. Two words: street agent.

But your point is valid and it remains the same. Every year Texas seems to miss out on one of the top rated kids in state, and they pride themselves on recruiting Texas, but you don't see much criticism of Mack Brown because of this. Most of the time, the top ranked kids get a lot of attention from elsewhere and it's hard to ignore, especially if they've bought into all the hype surrounding them. And this is Texas we're talking about, not a struggling Minnesota program. For some Gopher fans to just expect to get the top kid in state while the program is in a transition and struggling, well that's just dumb.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but for every Micheal Floyd, Bryce McNeal, and Seantrel Henderson's of MN, Ohio has about 20 or so to match every year to our one. That's the difference.

I hope you didn't just compare the high school talent of Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania to Minnesota. Let me ask you this... Should Jim Tressel get credit for being in the running for those top kids in Ohio? Of course not... he gets credit when he lands them. And again, comparing those states to our situation is absurd. It's like hockey in Minnesota. Lucia can never get ALL the best talent to come to the U because there's way too many players that can go to Wisky, NoDak, and other top programs. Same with Ohio and Texas for football. Your post is simply absurd.

No, your post is absurd. SH is ranked higher than most Texas or Ohio kids this year. To assert that he is your run of the mill top kid in Minnesota is absurd. Get some perspective. Jesus. He was the top ranked kid in the NATION until a couple weeks ago. But yeah, Brewster should reel him in like you expect? Get real.

If Seantrel really cares about me he will sign with the Goph's. I guess we will see where "we" stand on signing day.

No, your post is absurd. SH is ranked higher than most Texas or Ohio kids this year. To assert that he is your run of the mill top kid in Minnesota is absurd. Get some perspective. Jesus. He was the top ranked kid in the NATION until a couple weeks ago. But yeah, Brewster should reel him in like you expect? Get real.

Not once have I said Brewster should reel him in with no problem. I never expected Brewster to get him to come here. I just don't give Brewster all this credit for being in the running this late. Getting a local kid, even one as highly regarded as Henderson, to consider his home state doesn't impress me. Signing him would impress me. Especially when we don't even know if his consideration of Minnesota is real or just courtesy.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but for every Micheal Floyd, Bryce McNeal, and Seantrel Henderson's of MN, Ohio has about 20 or so to match every year to our one. That's the difference.

Exactly. Comparing those states letting a top rated kid get away with us letting one get away is laughable. I can't believe those two are trying to make that comparison, it's beyond absurd.

Not once have I said Brewster should reel him in with no problem. I never expected Brewster to get him to come here. I just don't give Brewster all this credit for being in the running this late. Getting a local kid, even one as highly regarded as Henderson, to consider his home state doesn't impress me. Signing him would impress me. Especially when we don't even know if his consideration of Minnesota is real or just courtesy.

The way I {and probably many others on this site} view it is this... We are in the running for one of the top recruits in the nation who can go anywhere... We are in the finals.... we are getting mentioned in the national press about this... All good, and all because of Coach Brewster.

I ask the question... How many of our previous coaches would have us on this stage??? The only one I can think would have would be Lou Holtz. None of the coaches between Lyin Lou and Brewster would have Minnesota in the running for SH. They would have lost him long before now... For that, Coach Brewster gets a lot of credit in my book!

You seem to be back pedaling slightly on your original statement DMB but that's fine. I can understand why you might be a little disappointed that we didn't get a #1 MN guy like McNeal but SH is a different story. The Rivals number one recruit in the nation hasn't committed to their home state school since 2003.

Exactly. Comparing those states letting a top rated kid get away with us letting one get away is laughable. I can't believe those two are trying to make that comparison, it's beyond absurd.

And it's also absurd to think that you are on the same level as those other schools at this point in time.

I get what you are saying about not being impressed. I guess it's all or nothing with you. But I am impressed by Brewster laying the groundwork and establishing a good relationship with SH over years. It shows what a tireless recruiter he is. He saw this kid for what he was early on and has gone after him like priority #1 since then, and that is why Minnesota is still in it. But hey, I guess that's the difference between us. You aren't impressed unless he signs him, and I'm impressed that he's going to get the last few recruiting hours with him and is still in the running to sign him after the who's who of college football have been after SH. No big deal.

Here's a little more perspective.

The state of Ohio has three 5-star recruits this year. When Jordan Hicks announces his commitment to Texas in just a little while (Hook'em!), that will mean that THE Ohio State University missed out on ALL THREE of the top ranked talents in their home state! So if they get SH will you be impressed? Or will you simply be unimpressed because they couldn't keep the top rated state talents at home?

Just a little food for thought.

You're telling me that you don't think tOSU fans are a little upset with possibly losing out on their 4 top in-state recruits, 3 of which are 5-stars? They have the 22nd recruiting class right now, after winning the Rose Bowl. I think they would be griping about it. They are a powerhouse, we are not. They deserve to land and be in the running for their top recruits. We have a tougher road. There are not 20 SH's and Michael Floyd's in these states. I'm sorry, there's not, look it up. These are elite players, and to have the biggest guns in the country come calling on them is hard to fend off. It's a good thing to be in it this late, and credit is deserved to the coaching staff.

The Rivals number one recruit in the nation hasn't committed to their home state school since 2003.

Bingo! I don't even consider Seantrel a in-state recruit. When you are a Michael Floyd or Seantrel Henderson caliber your college choices are sooo much greater. The entire Nation is after you. If all of a sudden Seantrel woke up and said that he wanted to be a (2 schools I have never heard his name connected to) Texas Longhorn or a Penn State Nittany Lion, I would be willing to bet that Mack Brown and Joe Paterno would make room for him.

With that being said, this is what I think it is: Minnesota 40% Ohio State 40% and USC 20%. I am impressed that this late into the recruiting session Seantrel is still giving us the time of day - heck even the last 2-3 hours of his recruitment.

Troll? Do you believe Brewster deserves credit for simply being in the running for Henderson? He'll deserve credit when he lands Henderson. You certainly don't set the bar very high. I don't believe a coach deserves credit for being in the running for the top rated kid in his OWN state. I simply said it will be the 3rd year in a row he failed to get the #1 recruit in his own state. Not sure how you can argue with anything I said.

Yes, troll.

Yes, I give Brewster credit for remaining in the hunt until the final decision. We both agree he deserves credit if he lands Henderson, where I differ from you is that you make a 100% choice of no credit vs. credit. Given where this program has been, I would argue it is an improvement to be amongst the final choices on SH's list. You are making a black and white argument on success or failure, yet only want to apply that to Minnesota and Tim Brewster. THAT is what makes you a troll. If you want to use the "you either get him or you don't" standard, apply it evenly, that means with Lane Kiffin, Jim Tressel et. al. History, state talent etc... don't matter, you are the one arguing for judgment based either getting him or not, not me.

Not sure where you get that I don't set the bar high, you don't know me, you've never met me and I've not posted anything that would allow you that latitude in your commentary. Of course, you apparently prefer to post your assumptions as fact, so hey no surprise there. I am more than happy to criticize the staff and anyone anywhere when I beleive they are wrong. That said, I also know that life isn't as black and white as many would like it to be. Sometimes people do a good job and you just lose to someone better. Sucks, but it happens. When that does happen, I will give someone a pat on the back and credit for the effort.

I agree with you that we need to start landing a better percentage of top in-state talent. I am not happy with where we are at, but again, we seemingly differ in that I can see the improvement and am willing to give credit for it and to be patient as long as improvement keeps coming at a reasonable rate. I will not allow the decision of ONE kid to determine success or failure. That is just plain stupid. Reminds me of playing golf with my brother. He can outdrive me by 75 yards consistently, but always loses to me by around 5-10 strokes. He might look glitzy off the tee, but at the end of the day, you are judged by the entirety of your work, not 18 drives. Likewise, if Brew continues to improve in-state but misses a kid here or there, I'll live with the overall body of work. That is where I will argue with you, and subsequently, destroy your arguments. :p

I will go ahead and agree with DMB123. I think Henderson meeting with the Gophers last is merely a courtesy. Henderson has said he thinks Brewster is a "good guy". I belieive this is just letting Brewster know Henderson thinks that but his prospects are better going to a different school than the U.

DMB, the fact that we have only one five star elite athlete in the state this year, who also happens to be #2 overall magnifies him and makes him stick out like a sore thumb in Minnesota. He is not just like "one of the other 20 in this state" over here. So when recruiters go through our state he is the first one on everyone's mind and in some cases, a must get. I think that the fact that we are in the top 6 with Mr. Henderson says a lot due to the fact that he got offers from just about every major D1 program in the nation. But of course, this is only my opinion.

There are not 20 SH's and Michael Floyd's in these states. I'm sorry, there's not, look it up.

You're right. You took my post literally. Was mainly trying to play devil's advocate.

There are; however, at least 20 4-5 star guys in OH, FL, CA almost every single year. At least. While there might be anywhere from One to Five 4-5 star guys in MN each year; therefor amplifying the importance of each of these MN guys while Ohio State can lose out on 1/3 of their states' top guys and still come out with 12-14 Four-Five Star guys without having to even recruit nationaly yet.

Yes, troll.

Yes, I give Brewster credit for remaining in the hunt until the final decision. We both agree he deserves credit if he lands Henderson, where I differ from you is that you make a 100% choice of no credit vs. credit. Given where this program has been, I would argue it is an improvement to be amongst the final choices on SH's list. You are making a black and white argument on success or failure, yet only want to apply that to Minnesota and Tim Brewster. THAT is what makes you a troll. If you want to use the "you either get him or you don't" standard, apply it evenly, that means with Lane Kiffin, Jim Tressel et. al. History, state talent etc... don't matter, you are the one arguing for judgment based either getting him or not, not me.

Not sure where you get that I don't set the bar high, you don't know me, you've never met me and I've not posted anything that would allow you that latitude in your commentary. Of course, you apparently prefer to post your assumptions as fact, so hey no surprise there. I am more than happy to criticize the staff and anyone anywhere when I beleive they are wrong. That said, I also know that life isn't as black and white as many would like it to be. Sometimes people do a good job and you just lose to someone better. Sucks, but it happens. When that does happen, I will give someone a pat on the back and credit for the effort.

I agree with you that we need to start landing a better percentage of top in-state talent. I am not happy with where we are at, but again, we seemingly differ in that I can see the improvement and am willing to give credit for it and to be patient as long as improvement keeps coming at a reasonable rate. I will not allow the decision of ONE kid to determine success or failure. That is just plain stupid. Reminds me of playing golf with my brother. He can outdrive me by 75 yards consistently, but always loses to me by around 5-10 strokes. He might look glitzy off the tee, but at the end of the day, you are judged by the entirety of your work, not 18 drives. Likewise, if Brew continues to improve in-state but misses a kid here or there, I'll live with the overall body of work. That is where I will argue with you, and subsequently, destroy your arguments. :p

The only problem there is that this overall body of work appears to be taking a negative turn as we are looking at a class this year ranked around 50th in the nation, barring SH not signing here.

Top Bottom