Sean Henderson talks about meeting the Kiffin's, says Seantrel to wrap up with Brew

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SCPlaybook.com:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/941869.html

USC head coach Lane Kiffin and his father, Monte Kiffin, continued to crisscross the country visiting recruits, and the duo made a stop in Minnesota on Wednesday night for an in-home visit with Scout’s top overall prospect, Seantrel Henderson

USC head coach Lane Kiffin and his father, Monte Kiffin, continued to crisscross the country visiting recruits, and the duo made a stop in Minnesota on Wednesday night for an in-home visit with Scout’s top overall prospect, Seantrel Henderson.
The in-home visit was the first opportunity for the Henderson’s to meet USC’s new head coach and defensive coordinator and hear about their plans for Seantrel and his future.

“The visit went great. I got to meet head coach Lane Kiffin and his father, Monte Kiffin,” Seantrel’s father, Sean Henderson said. “To be able to put a face to the name and actually meet these guys went really well.

“Lane actually graduated from high school in Minnesota about three or four years after I graduated from high school so we all had a couple of things in common. They are real great guys.”

Sean Henderson raved about how thorough the coaches’ presentation was and also mentioned that he has been impressed with how the new staff has held the recruiting class together since the departure of Pete Carroll.

“They did a real job of utilizing their time. They showed everything about the school, the tradition, the past and current players, accolades and all that,” Sean Henderson said. “I think USC did a great job of coming and giving it to him straight.

“They have maintained all of the recruiting that Pete Carroll and his staff were doing. All of the guys that were in place are still in play and some of these guys have already started classes already, so everything is looking positive.

“Like I said, my son has just less than a week to make a decision and we just wanted to get him to meet the coaches, and let the coaches put their best foot forward, and give Seantrel as much information that they could, and do their best job with the small window of opportunity that they have so he can make a sound decision next Wednesday.”

One issue that was addressed during the visit was all the talk and media reports concerning the NCAA investigation of the USC football program and possible sanctions.

“Regardless of where my son chooses to go, whether he picks USC or not, I still wish those guys the best because with the allegations that are going on I really hope that it doesn’t affect the new coaching staff and these new guys that are coming in there. The media and some of the people out there have been putting a lot of flack on USC for maybe a couple of bad decisions made maybe by some people or players.

“For some reason, people like to point the finger at USC because of what they have done in the past and the success that they have had, and kind of want to bring them down a little bit, and I don’t think that is fair to anybody. It’s about these kids and their future.

"They said they are just allegations and nobody has been actually convicted of anything. A lot of this stuff could just be hearsay."

Henderson will make take his final official visit to Miami this week and has narrowed down his list of schools to USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, Minnesota and Florida with an announcement set for signing day.

“I honestly think it’s still up in the air,” Sean Henderson said. “He still has one final home visit with Miami and a final trip to Miami. Then we come back Sunday and will spend the last few hours with the (Minnesota) Gophers. Then everything has to be done. There is no more contact after midnight on Sunday.

“He will have roughly two days after that to really, really think hard about what he wants to do and where he feels most comfortable. I told him to trust his gut. I don’t pressure him; I just want him to take the most time possible.”

Go Gophers!!

To me it still sounds like dad has the big screaming O' for USC.

yeah he seems to be very defensive about the usc allegations.

It's definitely getting exciting. I still don't believe we're going to land him, but I'll park myself next to the Interwebs on signing day, hoping for a miracle.

I hope Seantrel took a bath and disinfected his home after meeting with Lane Kiffin to wash the stink off. That guy is Dirty.

To me it still sounds like dad has the big screaming O' for USC.

Exactly. This guy is beyond naive if he is really buying the "just allegations" line. A lot of the allegations have been confirmed already, but for some reason the NCAA hasn't done anything about it. And about it not being fair to the new staff? PLEASE! I have no doubt in my mind that the new staff was doing suspect things at Tennessee before they bolted after one year.

I've always thought that sanctions and punishments should follow coaches like Calipari, Carroll, and Kiffin if it's proven that they knew about the occurrences of violations. For Kiffin to decide to coach at USC and then have to deal with punishment, well that'd be the most fair thing that could happen in my opinion.

I'm really happy that signing day is almost hear because I'm tired of hearing what Sean thinks about the recruiting process. I would have rather heard his son's take on it. Is he just the mouthpiece for the family and is going to let his son decided (like he should), or is he just blowing smoke when saying that he tells his son to trust his gut? I guess we'll never know. I hope good news comes for the Gophers on Wednesday, because otherwise people around here are going to say that his Dad pushed him to one or another (especially if it's USC), but I guess that's the consequences of always speaking for your kid who should be the one making the decision.

I am happy that Minnesota will get the last word with Seantrel, and I hope he is the one making the decision.

It's definitely getting exciting. I still don't believe we're going to land him, but I'll park myself next to the Interwebs on signing day, hoping for a miracle.

Same here. It's great that Minnesota is actually in the race this late. With a recruit as highly regarded as SH, the cynics about Brewster's recruiting should bite there petty tongues.

I'm not expecting him to pick Minnesota, but I will be really happy about it, because it could be the turning point for both Brewster and Minnesota.

Good luck, Gophers!

I think if he is spending his last hours with Brew then his consideration for the Gophers is real and not just token to make Minnesota look and feel good like some on here think. I believe it is genuine. I also think if he is spending his last hours with Brew and he goes with his gut as his dad says he should in the interview then I like our chances. It may not come to pass that he is a Gopher but I give Seantrel credit for the way he handles himself.

Seantrel we NEED you and would LOVE to cheer for you on Saturdays at "the bank". You could be Minnesota's son like another CDH grad who will be playing outdoors at a new stadium not far from you.

Same here. It's great that Minnesota is actually in the race this late. With a recruit as highly regarded as SH, the cynics about Brewster's recruiting should bite there petty tongues.

I'm not expecting him to pick Minnesota, but I will be really happy about it, because it could be the turning point for both Brewster and Minnesota.

Good luck, Gophers!
Everything I've read and heard about Seantrel is about how humble as down to earth he is. I feel that if he wasn't seriously considering Minnesota, he wouldn't be putting forth the effort on his part to show the U they're still a possibility. I won't hate him if he goes elsewhere, but I'll love him to death if he stays home.

Exactly. This guy is beyond naive if he is really buying the "just allegations" line. A lot of the allegations have been confirmed already, but for some reason the NCAA hasn't done anything about it. And about it not being fair to the new staff? PLEASE! I have no doubt in my mind that the new staff was doing suspect things at Tennessee before they bolted after one year.

I've always thought that sanctions and punishments should follow coaches like Calipari, Carroll, and Kiffin if it's proven that they knew about the occurrences of violations. For Kiffin to decide to coach at USC and then have to deal with punishment, well that'd be the most fair thing that could happen in my opinion.

I'm really happy that signing day is almost hear because I'm tired of hearing what Sean thinks about the recruiting process. I would have rather heard his son's take on it. Is he just the mouthpiece for the family and is going to let his son decided (like he should), or is he just blowing smoke when saying that he tells his son to trust his gut? I guess we'll never know. I hope good news comes for the Gophers on Wednesday, because otherwise people around here are going to say that his Dad pushed him to one or another (especially if it's USC), but I guess that's the consequences of always speaking for your kid who should be the one making the decision.

I am happy that Minnesota will get the last word with Seantrel, and I hope he is the one making the decision.

I think Sean is doing a great job handling the situation. This is heady stuff for an adult, I would not want a 18 year old kid out front dealing with the media. Making the decision and talking to the media are two different things. I suspect if you thought his Dad had a gopher lean your perception of him would be dramaticly different.:cool02:

“The visit went great. I got to meet head coach Lane Kiffin and his father, Monte Kiffin,” Seantrel’s father, Sean Henderson said. “To be able to put a face to the name and actually meet these guys went really well.

Just curious, but who is getting recruited here? Seantrel or his Dad? I almost wonder that if this decision was solely up to Seantrel (sure doesn't appear to be), if this would have been decided a long time ago? It almost seems as though this is being prolonged so is father can "get a chance to meet" these coaches.

Not sure why, but hearing comments from his dad makes it seem like we do have a chance with him...almost like Seantrel is having these coaches in just to appease his dad...we'll see I guess.

I think Sean is doing a great job handling the situation. This is heady stuff for an adult, I would not want a 18 year old kid out front dealing with the media. Making the decision and talking to the media are two different things. I suspect if you thought his Dad had a gopher lean your perception of him would be dramaticly different.:cool02:

I dunno man, is there anyone in the college football world who actually trusts and respects Lane Kiffin right now out side of USC? The guy is scum, period. Any parent sending their 18 year old thousands of miles away to be watched under by Lane Kiffin has some sort of blinders on.
What kind of an example does this guy represent? Seriously he has been nothing short of the perfect example of what NOT to be in life. Always taking the easy way out, never standing for anything, never being loyal or humble, showing that breaking promises and bending rules is the way to succeed. Seriously that's the kind of guy you want setting an example for your kid during the most formative years of his life? That's the guy you want your kid to sacrifice and work for?

Not really. Even when kids choose Texas (my alma mater), and the families are in the middle of the process I kind of cringe. I guess I'm just the type of person that believes the recruit should handle it, because it's not like the attention will go away after signing day. Wherever he goes he'll most likely have to deal with the media at one time or another, so you might as well learn to deal with it sometime.

I'm not really familiar with his Dad's role here, but if it's just being a mouthpiece for his son, I can live with that. When the family starts to influence decisions, that's the worst case. Like I said, I hope he's just make things easier by dealing with the media for his kid, but Seantrel is going to have to dealt with it sooner or later.

But you are completely right about making decisions and dealing with the media being two different things. And I hope that's the case here, because Seantrel will be the one living with his decision.

Again, good luck Gophers! I hope Minnesota strikes gold next Wednesday.

it was over weeks ago

he is a Gopher.

Not really. Even when kids choose Texas (my alma mater), and the families are in the middle of the process I kind of cringe. I guess I'm just the type of person that believes the recruit should handle it, because it's not like the attention will go away after signing day. Wherever he goes he'll most likely have to deal with the media at one time or another, so you might as well learn to deal with it sometime.

I'm not really familiar with his Dad's role here, but if it's just being a mouthpiece for his son, I can live with that. When the family starts to influence decisions, that's the worst case. Like I said, I hope he's just make things easier by dealing with the media for his kid, but Seantrel is going to have to dealt with it sooner or later.

But you are completely right about making decisions and dealing with the media being two different things. And I hope that's the case here, because Seantrel will be the one living with his decision.

Again, good luck Gophers! I hope Minnesota strikes gold next Wednesday.

You make some great points. Keep in mind that when the player is in school he has school media personnel to help handle interviews. Also, coaches will bar players from talking to the media if they deem the player is unable to handle it.

But I do agree, the decision should be the players.:D

Gopherjay: he is a Gopher.

You made a similar statement yesterday, my guess is you have source somewhere.
I might be enjoying my beers tuesday more than normal.

Seantrel Henderson is spending his last recruiting hours with Brewster and the Gopher staff? That is phenomenal news.

Seantrel, at the U you can be more than just another elite prospect. You can be the face of a program that is on its way back to the Rose Bowl in the near future in a large media market. You achieve legendary status and have unlimited opportunities in this area long after your playing days are done.

If my 17 or 18 year old son was being highly recruited for anything, you can be sure that I would be involved in that decision. I can easily see myself as an young man being swayed by the sizzle rather than the steak, and I will not imply who I consider the sizzle or the steak.

Sometimes coaches are lauded for "taking the heat" for something that happened during a game, or some other off-field incident to remove the focus from the individual. Maybe Sean is filling that role....being the mouth piece, the sound bite, and allowing his son to weigh his options, with as much information as possible, and his family's input.

Personally, I think his father is filling his role as father, as I would. Making sure that his son makes the best decision available to him.

(as long as he realizes that Lane Kiffin is a dirt bag...and I know)

boy sean is sure in love with USC...sounds like a done deal to me

I can't lie, the fact that he's getting his last bit with the Gophers is nice, and really is a good sign of how in the thick of it we really are. I just want the kid to make HIS choice for HIM, not for anybody else. Obviously I'd love him to be on the Gophers, and honestly, I think it would be really good for him to play here, but it's hard sometimes to ignore the lure of the OSUs, USCs, and Miamis. Those schools get an awful lot of exposure, are typically decent, and have recent history of success. Minnesota, well, we don't and we haven't. But being a part of that group of classes that could turn a program around can be something very special as well, and that's something he wouldn't be a part of at any of those other schools.

I dunno man, is there anyone in the college football world who actually trusts and respects Lane Kiffin right now out side of USC? The guy is scum, period. Any parent sending their 18 year old thousands of miles away to be watched under by Lane Kiffin has some sort of blinders on.
What kind of an example does this guy represent? Seriously he has been nothing short of the perfect example of what NOT to be in life. Always taking the easy way out, never standing for anything, never being loyal or humble, showing that breaking promises and bending rules is the way to succeed. Seriously that's the kind of guy you want setting an example for your kid during the most formative years of his life? That's the guy you want your kid to sacrifice and work for?

Agree. I personally got a kick out of Sean Henderson talking how much of stand up guy Kiffin is and how he was honest and straight up with Seantrel. Um, what? Kiffin a stand up and honest guy? Really? All those statements mean is that Sean bought Kiffin's shtick hook, line and sinker. Hopefully, Seantrel is smarter than his old man. If not and he actually chooses USC because of Kiffin's "honesty", then they can have him.

What is Sean Henderson supposed to say? "Kiffin is a fraud. He stunk up our house"? It's not going to happen. He's being diplomatic, and that's the way to go. He's a parent and a role model. He's supposed to take the high road in matters concerning his son.

I think people have been much too hard on Sean Henderson. If Seantrel signs with the Gophers, what will you say? You'll be loving him then, won't you?

This is all I care about .."“I honestly think it’s still up in the air,” Sean Henderson said. “He still has one final home visit with Miami and a final trip to Miami. Then we come back Sunday and will spend the last few hours with the (Minnesota) Gophers. Then everything has to be done. There is no more contact after midnight on Sunday.

“He will have roughly two days after that to really, really think hard about what he wants to do and where he feels most comfortable. I told him to trust his gut. I don’t pressure him; I just want him to take the most time possible.”

If you are a sales guy you want to be last to present your case and close the deal. I know the chances are slim but why would they do that? Are they just trying to let down Brew gently and tell him in person? This is some great news.

This is all I care about .."“I honestly think it’s still up in the air,” Sean Henderson said. “He still has one final home visit with Miami and a final trip to Miami. Then we come back Sunday and will spend the last few hours with the (Minnesota) Gophers. Then everything has to be done. There is no more contact after midnight on Sunday.

If you are a sales guy you want to be last to present your case and close the deal. I know the chances are slim but why would they do that? Are they just trying to let down Brew gently and tell him in person? This is some great news.
Spending the last few hours with the Gophers might be just a convenience/proximity issue. I don't know. Either way, it's a good sign that they're going to be given every opportunity to land Henderson.

What is Sean Henderson supposed to say? "Kiffin is a fraud. He stunk up our house"? It's not going to happen. He's being diplomatic, and that's the way to go. He's a parent and a role model. He's supposed to take the high road in matters concerning his son.

I think people have been much too hard on Sean Henderson. If Seantrel signs with the Gophers, what will you say? You'll be loving him then, won't you?

+1

If the him is Seantrel, yes. If its Sean....probably not. Once a meddling father, always a meddling father.

And if Seantrel does elsewhere, it will just be like any other recruit that we miss on. Hope when we play them in the future we kick thier ass and show them they were stupid to leave....

I don't understand where Miami fits in to all of this at all. It has to be all about the location. ACC football is so weak compared to the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-10, and Big 12. Didn't Seantrel see the 2nd best Big Ten team destroy the #1 ACC team in this year's Orange Bowl? And the most people nation wide would put Big Ten as the third or fourth ranked conference out of the four I listed. I'm guessing Seantrel is just using this weekend's trip to get out of the sub-zero temperatures.

Good luck, Gophers!

You think that just being in the running for a local kid, even if he is the #2 recruit in the country, should be enough to lay off Brewster? If he misses out on Henderson it will be just another example of Brewster failing to get the top kid in his own state. I hope Brewster pulls this off and am glad he'll get the last word Sunday night, but to give Brewster credit for being in the race this late is ridiculous. We better be in the running for this kid... he goes go to high school 10 minutes from the U for crying out loud.

If Henderson doesn't come here I think it's safe to say he was just being courteous to his home state's university by making it look like he was actually considering coming here.

Top Bottom