Sean Henderson talks about meeting the Kiffin's, says Seantrel to wrap up with Brew

I will go ahead and agree with DMB123. I think Henderson meeting with the Gophers last is merely a courtesy. Henderson has said he thinks Brewster is a "good guy". I belieive this is just letting Brewster know Henderson thinks that but his prospects are better going to a different school than the U.

You and DMB123 must not be paying attention to think Seantrel's consideration of the Gophers is just courtesy. If it was courtesy he would have cut the Gophers awhile ago. He went with Brewster to the basketball game 2 weeks before signing day and is spending the last hours of allowed contact time with Brewster, This is not token consideration. Brewster has done a phenomenal job to have gotten this far in the recruitment regardless of where he signs. With that said I would believe we are in a very good position to sign him.

You and DMB123 must not be paying attention to think Seantrel's consideration of the Gophers is just courtesy. If it was courtesy he would have cut the Gophers awhile ago. He went with Brewster to the basketball game 2 weeks before signing day and is spending the last hours of allowed contact time with Brewster, This is not token consideration. Brewster has done a phenomenal job to have gotten this far in the recruitment regardless of where he signs. With that said I would believe we are in a very good position to sign him.

How do you know? Are you on speaking terms with Henderson and he gave you inside info?

This is your opinion and I respect that but your tone comes off as this is fact. I said I believe spending his last recruiting hours with Brewster is a courtesy. I have no idea if that is a fact our not. It is just what I believe. Just like your take on it is what you belieive and is not fact.

Really, it's probably geography. But I still think it's a good sign and it's nice that Brew can be the last in his ear. I don't think this is "courtesy" at all. I think the kid has a lot of friends in these parts, and it will be hard for him to leave. In the end, he may not decide here, but I think there's a part of him that really wants to be here.

Yes, that was all my own guesses, but just going off what I've seen from his recruitment so far.

Being "courteous" would involve being truthful and if he was being courteous to the "U" he would have told Brew long ago that he is not interested and would not go to games with him and spend extra time with him. That is one of many reasons why I believe we do have a real shot.

The only problem there is that this overall body of work appears to be taking a negative turn as we are looking at a class this year ranked around 50th in the nation, barring SH not signing here.

I have no problem with your argument, I think that it is in fact a good point, and one that concerns me at present. My issue with DMB is that he gives no credit to Brew for improved in state recruiting and no credit for staying on the Henderson's radar until the end. A final rank of 50 to me would be a cause for concern. We shall see where we end up on Wednesday. If we end up at 50, I won't abandon Brew, but I will have a heightened sense of concern for our direction.

I hope your heightened sense of concern would be shared by most GHers, it sure would be by me. But as you said, the flaw in dmb's argument (as it is in most negative posts) is there is no balance. No credit is given for the positive steps, only wild-eyed desperation over a couple of seasons that haven't produced top notch bowl games or whatever else the perfectionists demand. Childish points of view that make mature analysis very appreciated.

Regardless of what anyone thinks certain people's motives are, the Henderson's have been extremely classy about Seantrel's recruitment. They should be commended.

I agree. Sean being the spokesperson for his son is preferable to Seantrel having to face the media onslaught on his own. This process has to be tremendously stressful for Seantrel and his family; as a parent I would do everything in my power to mitigate the stress and pressure from outside sources for my son. I think the Hendersons' are doing an admirable job under the circumstances.

We won't come here, but at least Brewster gets the last shot with the new three year contract!

What is Sean Henderson supposed to say? "Kiffin is a fraud. He stunk up our house"? It's not going to happen. He's being diplomatic, and that's the way to go. He's a parent and a role model. He's supposed to take the high road in matters concerning his son.

I think people have been much too hard on Sean Henderson. If Seantrel signs with the Gophers, what will you say? You'll be loving him then, won't you?

He could have said something about how great a program USC has been, their pedigree and how Kiffin made a good presentation and left it at that. But to go on about how "honest" he is? Give me a break. There's more than enough evidence that Kiffin is anything but honest. But hey, maybe Sean actually does think Kiffin that is an honest, straight-forward guy. If that's the case, I'll gladly part ways with both Seantrel and Sean Henderson and not even give them a second thought. In fact, I won't give Seantrel or Sean Henderson the time of day if he goes anyplace else. That's just the way it works.

And for the record, I won't give Sean Henderson any props or credit if his son comes to Minnesota either. Hope that clears things up a bit.

I have no problem with your argument, I think that it is in fact a good point, and one that concerns me at present. My issue with DMB is that he gives no credit to Brew for improved in state recruiting and no credit for staying on the Henderson's radar until the end. A final rank of 50 to me would be a cause for concern. We shall see where we end up on Wednesday. If we end up at 50, I won't abandon Brew, but I will have a heightened sense of concern for our direction.

I never mentioned overall in state recruiting, not once. I was specifically talking about Henderson. Brewster has improved our in state recruiting, although not as drastically as many here believe. My standards are just a little higher than coming close to getting the top ranked kid in your state. I want to actually SIGN him, that's all. Any good recruiter should be able to get a local top ranked kid to at least look at his home university. What Brewster has done in this situation is comendable due to his effort, but I don't get too impressed by coming close.

He could have said something about how great a program USC has been, their pedigree and how Kiffin made a good presentation and left it at that. But to go on about how "honest" he is? Give me a break. There's more than enough evidence that Kiffin is anything but honest. But hey, maybe Sean actually does think Kiffin that is an honest, straight-forward guy. If that's the case, I'll gladly part ways with both Seantrel and Sean Henderson and not even give them a second thought. In fact, I won't give Seantrel or Sean Henderson the time of day if he goes anyplace else. That's just the way it works.

And for the record, I won't give Sean Henderson any props or credit if his son comes to Minnesota either. Hope that clears things up a bit.

True, but the old saying goes "you catch more flys with honey than vinegar", although Woody Boyd once succinctly added, "but you catch the most with dead squirrels". But I digress. Was it over the top sure, but I have no issue with it, its how the game is played as a general rule. I tell people daily in my job that I respect my competitors and that they do a fine job, but you know what, I think about 90% are dbags and they suck at what they do. Why do I do this? Simple, because people expect it and while we might not get bonus points for "taking the high road", we also don't lose them for playing in the gutter. Methinks Sean is more savvy than he gets credit for. As to your second point, I couldn't agree more, if SH goes somewhere else, see ya, don't ask me to care about where you go or whether you succeed. I won't wish you ill or injury, but you will simply be another Buckeye or Irish, which to me is nobody worth caring about. I've never understood the need for people here to "support our own" when they choose to be someone else's.

p.s. Bonus points for using the term props when describing a man who wants to be a rapper. I like it as a poster and Coolio fan! :D

I never mentioned overall in state recruiting, not once. I was specifically talking about Henderson. Brewster has improved our in state recruiting, although not as drastically as many here believe. My standards are just a little higher than coming close to getting the top ranked kid in your state. I want to actually SIGN him, that's all. Any good recruiter should be able to get a local top ranked kid to at least look at his home university. What Brewster has done in this situation is comendable due to his effort, but I don't get too impressed by coming close.

Precisely, and that is the point, you initially appeared to want to make an all or nothing evaluation on one kid. As to the rest of your post, I think we have some (not all) agreement. Step one is repairing badly damaged relationships with HS coaches, Step two is leveraging those better relations into results. That is tricky considering the era where kids like SH grew up was indifferent to Gopher football at best. It is a process, and one I think is improving, but there will be some roadblocks and setbacks on the way. As I said earlier, if this years class ends up in the 50 range, I'll be concerned. Lastly, you might want to think about a career as a defensive back, you've done a commendable job in backpedalling (from your original point), now just admit being "not too impressed" is not the same as not impressed at all and give whatever grudging respect you can to Brewster for staying in the hunt until the end.

Precisely, and that is the point, you initially appeared to want to make an all or nothing evaluation on one kid. As to the rest of your post, I think we have some (not all) agreement. Step one is repairing badly damaged relationships with HS coaches, Step two is leveraging those better relations into results. That is tricky considering the era where kids like SH grew up was indifferent to Gopher football at best. It is a process, and one I think is improving, but there will be some roadblocks and setbacks on the way. As I said earlier, if this years class ends up in the 50 range, I'll be concerned. Lastly, you might want to think about a career as a defensive back, you've done a commendable job in backpedalling (from your original point), now just admit being "not too impressed" is not the same as not impressed at all and give whatever grudging respect you can to Brewster for staying in the hunt until the end.

I haven't back pedaled at all. I will be extremely impressed if he signs Henderson, but I'm not impressed that he's gotten him to look at his home state's university. I'm just not. That's the least we should expect. Brewster was brought here for one reason, and that's recruiting. I'm not impressed by barely missing out on the state's top kid. Once he signs a Floyd or a Henderson I will be very impressed, until then I won't be. And I'm shocked by how low other people's standards are.

You're right. You took my post literally. Was mainly trying to play devil's advocate.

There are; however, at least 20 4-5 star guys in OH, FL, CA almost every single year. At least. While there might be anywhere from One to Five 4-5 star guys in MN each year; therefor amplifying the importance of each of these MN guys while Ohio State can lose out on 1/3 of their states' top guys and still come out with 12-14 Four-Five Star guys without having to even recruit nationaly yet.

When I think of SH and Michael Floyd, I think of 5 star studs that everyone wants. Generally there are about 25ish per year in the nation.

If we want to lump in 4 stars, then we're talking about at least 200 or more prospects. If we're putting them together, then I agree. But if its SH and Michael Floyd, elite 5 star prospects, there's not 20 (I know not literally), or even 5 in each state.

But we're just at semantics here now, carry on.

Today Reusse said Brewster seems to have a real shot with Seantrel.

Say what you will about Pat, he doesn't report things irresponsibly.

So...I guess we'll see.

Today Reusse said Brewster seems to have a real shot with Seantrel.

Say what you will about Pat, he doesn't report things irresponsibly.

So...I guess we'll see.

I heard his thing with Souhan and thought the same thing. Reusse likes to hedge himself when something good could happen.

Pretty cool that Brew gets to have the last word with SH. That's gotta count for something.

I haven't back pedaled at all. I will be extremely impressed if he signs Henderson, but I'm not impressed that he's gotten him to look at his home state's university. I'm just not. That's the least we should expect. Brewster was brought here for one reason, and that's recruiting. I'm not impressed by barely missing out on the state's top kid. Once he signs a Floyd or a Henderson I will be very impressed, until then I won't be. And I'm shocked by how low other people's standards are.

Then I think you are blind to the progress and inroads Brewster has made recruiting. Recruiting appears to be binary on the surface. You either get the player, or you don't. The fact we are in the game for Seantrel this late is a major sign that we are making progress -- a couple of years ago it would've been a foregone conclusion that he is gone.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither is a respectable football program. It takes steps and progress -- Seantrel's legitimate interest in us (whether he commits to us or not) is a bellwether that Brewster is moving the program in the right direction. I'm not saying it will continue that way, but he's made progress.

All of this positive last-minute news is beginning to adversely affect my assume-the-worst-that-way-any-surprises-are-good-ones mentality.

I feel like I'm being set up for disappointment here. I sure hope I'm wrong. Landing Seantrel will make the long wait for spring practice and the 2010 season so much more bearable.

I don't understand where Miami fits in to all of this at all. It has to be all about the location. ACC football is so weak compared to the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-10, and Big 12. Didn't Seantrel see the 2nd best Big Ten team destroy the #1 ACC team in this year's Orange Bowl? And the most people nation wide would put Big Ten as the third or fourth ranked conference out of the four I listed. I'm guessing Seantrel is just using this weekend's trip to get out of the sub-zero temperatures.

Umm....no. Did you watch the Bowls this year? At worst the Big Ten is a close second to the SEC. Even Big Ten hating sites like collegefootballnews.com called the Big Ten the number 1 conference this year. The Big Ten plays second fiddle to no other conference.

True, but the old saying goes "you catch more flys with honey than vinegar", although Woody Boyd once succinctly added, "but you catch the most with dead squirrels". But I digress. Was it over the top sure, but I have no issue with it, its how the game is played as a general rule. I tell people daily in my job that I respect my competitors and that they do a fine job, but you know what, I think about 90% are dbags and they suck at what they do. Why do I do this? Simple, because people expect it and while we might not get bonus points for "taking the high road", we also don't lose them for playing in the gutter. Methinks Sean is more savvy than he gets credit for. As to your second point, I couldn't agree more, if SH goes somewhere else, see ya, don't ask me to care about where you go or whether you succeed. I won't wish you ill or injury, but you will simply be another Buckeye or Irish, which to me is nobody worth caring about. I've never understood the need for people here to "support our own" when they choose to be someone else's.

p.s. Bonus points for using the term props when describing a man who wants to be a rapper. I like it as a poster and Coolio fan! :D

Good points. I understand the whole "maintaining a good vibe" idea as well, and if Henderson had said something along the lines of "it was a good meeting and they made an impressive presentation" and left it at that, I would have been fine with that. But the whole honesty thing threw me a bit, especially considering Kiffin's background. Be that as it may, perhaps Sean is more astute than I'm giving him credit for. I tend to be a little pessimistic about folks who cite someone's honesty when the person in question has been shown over and over again to be anything but honest.

As for the rapper thing, I didn't even factor Sean's desire to be a rapper into using the word "props." But looking back, it could certainly be viewed as ironic considering the rumors of Sean's wish to become the next big rapper. :D

Good luck to Brewster with SH. This would be a major coup and a feather in a fairly rumpled hat.

While it certainly still looks to be a longshot, Brewster getting facetime at the end could be huge. This is a big decision for a young kid. If he's not 100% convinced yet, the right words at the end could swing the difference. If SH is anything like I was at that age, such a decision will probably really start to mess with his head as it get to be crunch time to sign on the bottom line. The 'known quantity' with a face there to offer support could get the nod no matter HOW long the shot was before hand. Basically, the kid could be waffling, wringing his hands, look at a friendly Brewster and just say, "$%^ it. Minnesota it is. Let's do this."

Here's hoping.

Top Bottom