Scoggins talks to four coaches anonymously about the Gophers job

Let’s put it this way, I’d rather overpay for a GREAT coach than stick $100M into a new arena.
Completely disagree.

Great coach comes here, does well for a few years ...... then leaves. And probably no one hates him for it, either.

New arena can't pick up and leave.

Absolutely nailed it. Let's build an arena that looks just like the Kohl Center and watch the recruits flood in. Sure.

Every coach everywhere is conditioned to complain about the facilities. Always ask for bigger and better and complain that what you have is hindering your ability to win.
The Minnesotan way: find excuses for how not to spend money, even to keep on level with other teams in the league.

Don't worry, when friggin Rutgers builds a new arena, we can be all by ourselves in last place for the worst arena.

Last edited:

Precisely.

It takes a great coach to win, and a great coach wins anywhere. Facilities don't do squat.

Daddy Pitino has won at 5 schools.

Duke was nothing before Coach K. That arena is a dump

How has UCLA faired post Wooden?

Finding a hall of fame caliber coach is what it takes to win. That's extremely hard to do. Everything else is BS.
There is a lot to this to win. However, it is easier for an above average coach to look like a good coach if the variables are right.
It is easier to make a good coach look like a legend if the variables are right.

If it is a reality as sure as you say it is, you better start rallying your network of donors. Getting buy in for an arena that looks like the Target Center with the promise that we will be competitive in this conference is gonna take some work.
The House that Craig Smith built! :D

Just curious as to how basketball might look at Mariucci? I think the place holds 10K or so and maybe could be renovated and add some seats. I know this wouldn't be a popular idea but look at the Badgers and the Kohl Center, aka multi-purpose sports facility. There is certainly nothing wrong with the seating at Mariucci but they probably could use about 5K more in capacity for BIG10 basketball.
Might be a good option for a year or two while they renovate

I think that’s more realistic on an NHL size sheet of ice than what we have. But I don’t know anything about hockey

It’s almost as if they’re spending your money the way it has you fired up.

There are ways to build and modernize an arena without making it corporate and stale. They asked anonymous coaches (who are in the industry) and they gave you an honest answer. Recruiting matters. If a coach tells you that’s the biggest blemish or obstacle than I believe them. Have you ever been to The Barn when it’s literally empty? It is old and smells like stale popcorn and urine. I LOVE that place when it’s electric and packed, but let’s be honest those have been few and far between. The last great memory I have is knocking off #1 Indiana when Mbakwe was on the team and we rushed the floor.
Better than popcorn and stale urine.

It takes a great coach to win, and a great coach wins anywhere. Facilities don't do squat.
Yikes dude. You obviously hate money being spent on facilities. We get it.

Gonna guess that coaches and admin disagree with you. I'm going to side with them.

The crew here isn't going to like what they say about Williams Arena. But it's 100 percent accurate.

Any way to view the article without signing up to pay the Strib?

It was free for a while and now they went back to subscription mode - last time I signed up they got hacked and exposed my credit card all over the net - their firewall is like swiss cheese.

It was free for a while and now they went back to subscription mode - last time I signed up they got hacked and exposed my credit card all over the net - their firewall is like swiss cheese.
Not view it, but you can still read the text. I'll PM you.

Show them the home court advantage.
Truth is...winning makes Williams a moot point. Get a coach who has a plan to win and executes that plan and the rest will fall in place. Clem showed you could win here. He just forgot to tell his tutors to only do their job and not the job of the players when it comes to academics.
I said in every post that a great coach is a bigger need. Also Clem was 25 years ago. No high school kid was even alive then. The “Clem did it here” is a joke and means nothing to kids now a days. You are right in that winning will help, but it can be true that we need a better coach and that we can get to a “Purdue” level with the right guy. That argument is literally true at any university though. It also can be true that Williams is a dump and not helpful in recruiting. MN high school kids have no attachment to it.

Apples to oranges. We didn't have a football stadium. We rented the off-campus Metrodome.
Good point.

But I have to believe if Memorial was never torn down, it would've needed renovations at some point?

The Minnesotan way: find excuses for how to not to spend money, even to keep on level with other teams in the league.

Don't worry, when friggin Rutgers builds a new arena, we can be all by ourselves in last place for the worst arena.

The Minneapolis way: Spend money you don't have to achieve roughly the same poor results as you did before. And when questioned why things aren't better, always say it is because we haven't spent enough money yet.

The Minneapolis way: Spend money you don't have to achieve roughly the same poor results as you did before. And when questioned why things aren't better, say it is because we haven't spent enough money yet.
Then build it on the St Paul campus! :)

My god, anyone who thinks building a new arena is the answer is an idiot.
That is the same bad excuse (amongst others) for the football team making the move to the Metrodome. We all know how that turned out.

PJ probably wouldn’t have taken the job of the gophers were still playing at the Metrodome (if it still existed). You’re right though that someone with crazy energy is needed to turn it around, but in the meantime something needs to happen. I truly think saving Williams is a lost cause. Need to have something with luxury boxes, nice locker rooms, and those type of amenities.
And modern bathrooms, better concession options, improved sight lines, and generally improved accessibility, amenities, ability to generate revenue thru other events, and general bang for your buck.

As a 30-something alum, those are things that I pay for when going to a game. Even though the Timberwolves suck, and Target Center isn’t considered world class, I’d still much rather see a game there than Williams for a number of reasons. With all the other new and improved sports venues in town, paying to sit at Williams just isn’t fun.

I was 6 when we went to the final four, and it’s not displayed in the rafters. Williams holds no nostalgia for my generation and the upcoming ones that the program needs to cater to in order to succeed. If I wasn’t an alum, there’s a chance I may never have stepped foot in the building.

Last edited:

I said in every post that a great coach is a bigger need. Also Clem was 25 years ago. No high school kid was even alive then. The “Clem did it here” is a joke and means nothing to kids now a days. You are right in that winning will help, but it can be true that we need a better coach and that we can get to a “Purdue” level with the right guy. That argument is literally true at any university though. It also can be true that Williams is a dump and not helpful in recruiting. MN high school kids have no attachment to it.

Good post!

To piggyback on it, look at all the coaches who have won in spite of where they play their home games. I'm not an arena buff, but does Butler or Villanova have (present) or had (past) the nicest arenas? What about Gonzaga?

IMO, a fellow coach would rather do anything than be critical of one his coaching brothers.

Cripes, you couldn't even find them speaking out against Pearl or Dave Bliss - IIRC, some coaches were made that one of his assistants had taped some of Bliss' conversations, - so of course they'll go for the arena and not that MN has hired many more incompetent coaches than competent ones.

It doesn't mean they can't spend some money to update the toilet/concession situations though.

It's a tweaking of it's not you, it's me (my God, George Costanza understood everything) -

Last edited:

A job is what you make of it.

Negatives are positives, positives are negatives.

You need the right person to recruit to that and make it all seem positive.

Big City.... positive or negative.
Historic arena... negative, old cramped, no atmosphere when empty. Positive, Old, cozy, atmosphere when full, history.

Only Div 1 school. - Negative... all eyes are on you. People will watch players with a microscope. Positive... major market. Your name is in the newspaper and on the radio in a major market weekly.

If you hire a coach who tells you it's a tough job, you got the wrong person.

I use incognito mode on Chrome

There is a lot to this to win. However, it is easier for an above average coach to look like a good coach if the variables are right.
It is easier to make a good coach look like a legend if the variables are right.
But to be great a coach has to be great. To build a program identity, to evaluate and implement, to build something sustainable takes great skill. Only a select few have that.

A job is what you make of it.

Negatives are positives, positives are negatives.

You need the right person to recruit to that and make it all seem positive.

Big City.... positive or negative.
Historic arena... negative, old cramped, no atmosphere when empty. Positive, Old, cozy, atmosphere when full, history.

Only Div 1 school. - Negative... all eyes are on you. People will watch players with a microscope. Positive... major market. Your name is in the newspaper and on the radio in a major market weekly.

If you hire a coach who tells you it's a tough job, you got the wrong person.
Awesome post. This is a great job. All the opportunities necessary. The guy that sees it as change to make a true mark and build something will see it that way. No excuses. O f course it is tough. Hundreds of schools are in the business of winning, that is what competition is all about. The winners are identified as winners, the losers by being losers. Greatness is one guy away.

The Minneapolis way: Spend money you don't have to achieve roughly the same poor results as you did before. And when questioned why things aren't better, always say it is because we haven't spent enough money yet.

You are of course 100% correct on your arena position. The last thing we need is a generic "corporate" Kohl Center type facility. However, if they did go down the new arena road please do something old school like Mizzou Arena:

1615736299706.png

The part about facilities is a great topic of conversation, and I appreciate what Chip did gathering this anonymous input. These are important voices, but there are other voices who'd say different things. There are no cut-and-dried answers to these questions. There are obviously some deep divides in opinion here. A couple of my favorite lines from Star Trek:

SPOCK: Has it occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about?
KIRK: It gives me emotional security.

In another episode...KIRK (to Helen Noel): One of the advantages of being a Captain, Doctor, is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it.

There are all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas, some better than others. It pays to listen to everyone, but as I sometimes joke about the project I'm leading right now: if I ask 30 people for their input, I'm likely to get 40 opinions. At the end of the day, you can't focus-group your way through decisions of this sort. They require robust input but, more importantly, vision and bold leadership.

A few thoughts:
  • As much as I mourned the loss of Memorial Stadium and still feel bad about its destruction, I feel like we ended up in a really good place, even though we had to wander in the wilderness like the Israelites to get there. It's hard to imagine still playing in the old stadium. It would have had to be stripped down to the outside walls and completely reinvented.
  • I think the original designers and builders of Williams would be surprised that we're still using it as a competition venue to this day. I don't even think that was its originally envisioned function. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of that building.
  • Williams Arena is a mixed bag, as I've written about before. I absolutely LOVE watching games there, but the fan experience is lacking in a lot of key ways.
  • It's now over 25 years since Williams' last renovation. You have to keep renewing a place like that or it does become outmoded. If plans aren't being made for its next renewal, there should be.
  • This community has a mixed history of historic preservation and getting use out of old facilities. We've torn down a lot of great stuff, but when we set our minds to preservation, we've done a pretty dang good job of it. Don't look now, but the international airport in its current conception is over 60 years old, and say what you want about it, but it's better than ever because we've kept working on it. I think of it the same way I think of Dodger Stadium: a midcentury gem that I hope is never demolished.
  • Speaking of Dodger Stadium, it's the third oldest venue in MLB (!). Is Royals Stadium the fourth? Assembly Hall in Bloomington is a half century old this year. It and Royals Stadium are stunningly beautiful and functional reflections of their age, and like Dodger Stadium I hope they can be made to last forever.
I'm personally OK with either keeping Williams rolling or replacing it. Either way, whatever you do, it needs to be first class with an emphasis on optimizing both the fan and player experience and not losing what makes the existing situation unique, distinctive and special. When you talk about what you have to sell to fans and recruits, I personally think that trying to sell what everyone else has is inherently difficult. Different is good.

What specifically makes the Mizzou arena "old school" and acceptable? Asking for a friend.

We just gave 8 full seasons to a coach who has 36% winning percentage in the Big 10. That same coach inherited a program that just went the Tournament and could recruit in the state during an historical boom of talent.

You can call the fanbase a lot of things (and I have) but impatient is not one of them.
You are the exception. This is a pro town and people stop going to games when you lose. That can look like impatience. Not sure it is.

Top Bottom