Schedule set for 2024 and 2025

When I learned that Rhode Island wasn't even an island, I got suspicious.
Something new I learned from Wikipedia today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island#Origin_of_the_name

"
Despite its name, most of Rhode Island is located on the mainland of the United States. Its official name is State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, which is derived from the merger of four Colonial settlements. The settlements of Newport and Portsmouth were situated on what is commonly called Aquidneck Island today but was called Rhode Island in Colonial times. Providence Plantation was the name of the colony founded by Roger Williams in the state's capital of Providence. This was adjoined by the settlement of Warwick; hence the plural Providence Plantations.
"

Something new I learned from Wikipedia today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island#Origin_of_the_name

"
Despite its name, most of Rhode Island is located on the mainland of the United States. Its official name is State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, which is derived from the merger of four Colonial settlements. The settlements of Newport and Portsmouth were situated on what is commonly called Aquidneck Island today but was called Rhode Island in Colonial times. Providence Plantation was the name of the colony founded by Roger Williams in the state's capital of Providence. This was adjoined by the settlement of Warwick; hence the plural Providence Plantations.
"
Still suspicious.

Seriously what are the odds of that.

I've been doing some research on youtube and ... it seems highly unlikely much of anything that we're told about Rhode Island is true.
How do we know it even exists? I've never been to Rhode Island, have you? Have any of your friends or family?

/s in case that's needed for anyone

Pretty weak home schedule opponents in 2024...hopefully gophs will be coming off their third or fourth 10 win or more season so attendance won't be an issue...:drink:

Last edited:

How do we know it even exists? I've never been to Rhode Island, have you? Have any of your friends or family?

Had a flight to Boston diverted to Providence for weather. So I guess I've been there though I never put foot on Terra Firma

I've actually taken a train from Boston to NYC and passed through Rhode Island. Or was it all a dream?

Do we have to wait till the 2030s to consistently get quality non conference opponents that we can get excited about? My god.

Do we have to wait till the 2030s to consistently get quality non conference opponents that we can get excited about? My god.

I think if we consistently perform at or close to our current level, better non-Cons will come. Also, we’ve got UNC and Colorado on the docket over the next few years. UNC is absolutely going to be legit, and both are P5 programs.

Murray Warmath was the head coach at Mississippi State in 1952 and 1953 before accepting the Minnesota head coaching job in 1954. For 18 seasons Murray coached the GOPHER team. He succeeded Wes Fessler...and became Minnesota’s Alvarez...Frye...Coming on board only 4 years after Bernie B, tenure had ended...only Murray won a NC for Minnesota Surpassing Barry and Hayden’s respective roles near State Street in The mad city east of here and in i-town to the south of us. I hope they make that story part of the build up for that non-conference match up both in Minneapolis and Starkville.

Will Mike Leach still be coaching there in 2027? The pirate is 58 as he starts his first season @ Miss. State in 2020. Time will tell and the pirate does move around a bit. Could be very interesting if he is.

Last edited:

RI

Definitely run by the mob.
Home to many commuters who work in Boston due to cost of living.
Can drive the state corner to corner in under 2 hours.
Two division one football teams. Brown leads the series 79-29-2 (but URI has claimed the governor’s cup right the past two years). The Rams don’t fare to well when they schedule Harvard or any other ancient 8 team either.

4 division one basketball teams (this year, Brown is the only one that can claim they went undefeated against their instate rivals). But Ed Cooley’s teams are always fun to watch.

TF green is an easy in and out.

If you are ever there, water fire in unique, the cliff walk is full of beautiful homes, Newport has a great beach and scenery, the Dunk is a good place to take in a friars game (with fans shouting in their thick accents that even their own player X can’t even make all first team Rhode Island).

Providence is clean and walkable. Never been to Kingston (and unlikely to change...Lamar Odem played there and that is about it)

Federal hill has some of the best Italian food out there and it houses the most down to earth and genuine ivy with ppl who want to change the world rather than own the world (;)).

We'll see plenty of Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, et al in the CFP and NYD6 bowls...no need to wear oneself out in the first 3 weeks of the season :)

2024 - UNC, R.I, & Nevada (UNC FIXED)
Bufalo, Bowling Green & BYU
These OOC schools will all be comming to the Gophers stadium without a home and home. I know R.I. wont have a chance at a home & home but what about N.C.?

1579372330389.png

Last edited:

2024 - NC State, R.I, & Nevada
Bufalo, Bowling Green & BYU
These OOC schools will all be comming to the Gophers stadium without a home and home. I know R.I. wont have a chance at a home & home but what about N.C.?

View attachment 6944
It’s UNC, not NC State. We play at UNC in 2023. BYU comes here this coming season.

Sorry about the NC State thing. NC State is an FCS HBCU team. Fixed the UNC post!

Bottom line is winning. SEC teams play lower-level non-conf opponents, and as long as they win, it doesn't impact public perception.

It's all about winning your conference, or posting the best possible conference record. Losing non-conf games will hurt you in national perception as far as the overall record. Beating lesser opponents does not hurt you as long as you win (and don't run up the score too bad.)

I'm fine with one 'name' non-conf opponent and two schedule-fillers.

Imagine this scenario - Gophers play a 'tough' non-conf opponent and lose a close game. Gophers go on to win the B1G - but don't make the CFP playoffs because other teams have better overall records. If that happens, will anyone credit the Gophers for playing a tough non-conf team?

When is the next time we play Ohio State during regular season?

Plus their records in the games against P5 teams:
Last 10 years: 18-30, .375 (this would equate to 3.4 wins in the Big Ten)
Last 5 years: 8-16, .333 (this would equate to 3 wins in the Big Ten
sounds like a LOT of p5 teams i know
1579532344809.png

Top Bottom