Save Gopher Football

I don't know GL. I hear what you are saying but I just can't agree with hiring somebody instead of a more qualified candidate just because they played sports for the U. In fact I think that it could be taken to a level that is borderline sleazy. "Come to the U and a booster will take care of you after you are finished playing." I know it is common practice around big time college sports but to me it just seems unseemly. Most basketball and football players are getting a full ride scholarship to a pretty darn good education. I just don't see how they should be entitled to more than that.

I can certainly vouch for this on the basketball side. I had a former player come to me - a good kid, never got into trouble, and graduated from the U - he actually conducted 50 informational interviews before he got his 1st job out of college. He had emailed all the boosters, and had only even heard back from 2-3...these are guys that worshiped him when he was playing. This is clearly not a player that expected to have everything handed to him, was just looking for a break. I can't believe we don't have better career placement advice/help for these young men. For the 99% that don't go pro, imagine being able to sell a recruit on the fact that 100% of graduates from their sport got a job within X amount of months after graduation. Or something to that effect. It's a huge recruiting tool, and just the right thing to do.

But the person was blaming the U, and this sounds like a problem with the M Club, in other words, former players not helping out former players.

Top Bottom