Save Gopher Football

ButchNashGuy

Section 212 Row 23
Reaction score
A former Gopher football player that I know was asked to be part of the Save Gopher Football group. He solicited my opinion as a fan. I told him I was thrilled to hear of the passion and concern that players are having. It sounds like the groups goal is to shine a light on we can't have the same people in charge (AD, search firm...) and expect better results. Also, they are to be meeting with Joe Schmitt and do some TV interview or something. In a nutshell here is what I said:

I don't have confidence in Maturi by himself
We don't have time to fire him and find a new AD especially since our President is retiring
Go to Bruininks and express your desire and concern since he is Joel Maturi's boss
We need a big time FBS proven winner, spend the money and get it done right. We are too beat up to have anyone else learn on the job. (I believe Kill, Hoke and others might be great coaches but not for us right now. If they are chosen I would get behind them)
If the group is about pushing Trestman or someone only/mainly because they have some "M" connection I would oppose the group.
If we hire a younger HC who is offensive-minded he needs to bring with him a first-class DC. Value defense at Minnesota.
Put to death small-thinking, defeatism, excuse making and negativity. No excuses why we can't be like WI/IA/NE. It will take some time but we are not as bad as we think we are.

These are my opinions. But, I told him how several people have mentioned the same things to me.

A former Gopher football player that I know was asked to be part of the Save Gopher Football group. He solicited my opinion as a fan. I told him I was thrilled to hear of the passion and concern that players are having. It sounds like the groups goal is to shine a light on we can't have the same people in charge (AD, search firm...) and expect better results. Also, they are to be meeting with Joe Schmitt and do some TV interview or something. In a nutshell here is what I said:

We don't have time to fire him and find a new AD especially since our President is retiring
Go to Bruininks and express your desire and concern since he is Joel Maturi's boss
We need a big time FBS proven winner, spend the money and get it done right. We are too beat up to have anyone else learn on the job. (I believe Kill, Hoke and others might be great coaches but not for us right now. If they are chosen I would get behind them)
If the group is about pushing Trestman or someone only/mainly because they have some "M" connection I would oppose the group.
If we hire a younger HC who is offensive-minded he needs to bring with him a first-class DC. Value defense at Minnesota.
Put to death small-thinking, defeatism, excuse making and negativity. No excuses why we can't be like WI/IA/NE. It will take some time but we are not as bad as we think we are.

These are my opinions. But, I told him how several people have mentioned the same things to me.

This group's heart is in the right place.
That said, Maturi isn't getting publicly removed from the hiring process.
We can only hope behind the scenes, he's been explained to that his role will be figurehead and go between for Bruininks/Dungy/Mona/Regents and the search firm. He has no power or say in the final decision of who to interview. If this is the case then we're at least clear of his BS.
If not, then we're doomed.
As for the M man connection, i agree, no group pushing for trestman should be supported.
I do disagree though, that the hire NEEDS to be a big name. What we need is a good coach that knows how to win. Honestly most gopher fans don't even know who Chris Petersen or Gary Patterson or Jim Harbaugh or Mike Bellotti are.
We need the right coach with the right mix of x's and o's, enthusiasm and energy, recruiting, and quality connections to put together a great staff.
Sumlin, Hoke, Calhoun, Mullen and Golden are like that, they have won at lower levels, but have been a part of winning at the highest levels.
I really hope gopher fans don't blow their tops if the hire is one of these 5 guys, they would all be great hires.

ButchNashGuy, I would agree with most of your advice, especially about getting rid of the "small thinking" as it relates to this hire.

Maturi's comments have put him in a bit of a box because expectations have been built up so much. I would be happier with an up-and-coming coordinator from a top-tier program than a recycled second-tier coach if it is universally held that he's the right guy. I do believe you are correct that we need a pizzazz hire and a coordinator will only work if he comes in and shows in concrete ways why he would be a full head-and-shoulders above other guys being considered. It would have to be a very special guy and I don't know if there is a guy like that among the current crop of coordinators.

I think it's great that the former players are involved, but I'm old enough to be wary of the M-Club influence that forced out Warmath and, ironically (seeing he was the M-Club choice to replace Warmath), Stoll.

I agree with all your points 100% especially with the lack of confidence in Maturi doing a solo. I don't think that will happen as Bruininks understands the importance of this hire. I hope there are enough checks and balances in the process to keep Maturi from doing something real stupid-like hiring Paul Chryst or Marc Trestman.

Said that, I am pleased with this movement as former players should carry a fair amount of weight. I hope "they" get an audience with Bruininks and also make a splash in the media the next few days.

I think Coach Brewster did the UM a huge favor by creating a buzz of sorts, not with victories or success but with his campaign and insistance that we can win at the UM. He was relentless with that theme from the git-go and also received a huge amount of criticism for his enthusiasm and positive attitude. But he kept at it. He was instrumental in involving past players in the program not only as motivation to his players but also to help create spark and interest in the program state-wide. I think that has the potential to pay big dividends down the road.

In my heart, I wanted Brewster to succeed as I still believe he had a lot of positives to offer. But unfortunately, he will go down as a failure. Yet he had the ability and vision to plant a seed for success that I hope the Admin. and the new coach can nurture and grow.

These are interesting times. Encourage your contact to stay the course as I know there are a lot of us out there who realize the impact they can have on the process.

I am pleased with this movement as former players should carry a fair amount of weight. I hope "they" get an audience with Bruininks and also make a splash in the media the next few days.

Not picking on you Bayfield because I really enjoy your posts. Just wondering why people feel this way? I think that giving former players a voice is fine to an extent (a successful guy like Jeff Wright or guy with some coaching experience like Ray Hitchcock), but carrying weight in a hire in a general term doesn't make sense to me. As an alum, fan, season ticketholder since graduation and Golden Gopher fund donor, I've met several players, most of whom are excellent people off the field. But being a former player doesn't necessarily qualify them as experts on consulting for hiring a football coach. Unless they are major donors or have been involved in coaching themselves for an extended time, they are only slightly more entitled to impact (donors)/qualified than most fans. I have been involved in hiring/firing people in my job, at no time did I consider it important that our retired and present worker bees have input on executive hiring. It doesn't fit their general skill set and they would undoubtedly pick a guy inside whom they liked (ala John Gutekunst). When you see a guy like Jack Brewer proposing we bring Coach Mason back, I think that is a good indicator/example that former players don't possess any special insight and are just as prone to pushing their friends or personal agendas as anyone. Should they be involved with the program? Yes, they should be around to provide support and insight to players and help when called upon. The savegopherfootball group might have great motives, but I do question their credentials. From the jist of what I've seen, the site's main goal is self promotion. "We're not going to allow the program to fail!". Sounds great, the best way to do that is to write a check or work behind the scenes in the corridors of power. If they want input, do the really expect to get access by publicly calling out the admin or AD? Professionals generally handle these things behind closed doors. Maybe I'm just a natural skeptic, but the approach is what could lead one to question the motivation of whomever is behind the site. I respect and admire many of the former players, but they are still people like all of us here. Some good, some bad, with all kinds of motivations from personal to altruistic and all types of intelligence levels. I hope that the coming days demonstrate that the group is exactly as it claims to be, but as they say in Missouri, show me.

Boosters and former players can be as fickle and as wrong as anyone else. While the ultimate responsibility for hiring and firing decisions lies with the President and the AD, other hands aren't clean either. Weren't boosters behind hiring Joe Salem? The AD needs to know when to listen to the boosters and when not to listen.

The site appears to have vanished.

I hope they got a less public channel to voice their concerns with the Administration. They are a group that is proud and gave their all to the University during their playing days, hopefully they won't embarrass themselves or the university anymore (their website and promotion of it).

U of M needs to get ALL the instate kids, find someone that will A) emphasize Defense and B) instate recruit and C) not be a cocky, arrogant, prick.

U of M needs to get ALL the instate kids, find someone that will A) emphasize Defense and B) instate recruit and C) not be a cocky, arrogant, prick.

VERY insightful:rolleyes:

How about A)offering in state prospects worthy of a Big Ten athletic scholarship and B)offering in state FCS prospects preferred walk on status and C) Not lose to FCS teams giving their idiot fans a reason to open their traps.

U of M needs to get ALL the instate kids

Find me one school, just one that does this, even the schools that are the only game in town, and I'll show you a classy Bison fan.

find someone that will A) emphasize Defense and B) instate recruit

Brewster did both of these things.

C) not be a cocky, arrogant, prick

This is about the polar opposite of Brewster. In fact, this was one of the big reasons we got rid of Mason.

What else do you have, Twinky?

If these guys wanted to "save" Gopher football, they should have made more tackles. This organization is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Originally Posted by lakesbison
find someone that will A) emphasize Defense and B) instate recruit

Brewster did both of these things.

BREWSTER didnt have a good defense or instate recruit.

Minnesota needs a Coach that brings the state together and brings some freakin PRIDE back, there is 0 pride down in that program, cmon guys, pump it up, BRING IN A STAR COACH!!

Dude, look at your own posts, twitter quotes, etc ... and tell me you are really qualified to speak to (c).

Whenever I see Jerry Kill's name I start hearing that keyboard riff from Riders on the Storm.

There's a killer on the road... :)

Not picking on you Bayfield because I really enjoy your posts. Just wondering why people feel this way? I think that giving former players a voice is fine to an extent (a successful guy like Jeff Wright or guy with some coaching experience like Ray Hitchcock), but carrying weight in a hire in a general term doesn't make sense to me. As an alum, fan, season ticketholder since graduation and Golden Gopher fund donor, I've met several players, most of whom are excellent people off the field. But being a former player doesn't necessarily qualify them as experts on consulting for hiring a football coach. Unless they are major donors or have been involved in coaching themselves for an extended time, they are only slightly more entitled to impact (donors)/qualified than most fans. I have been involved in hiring/firing people in my job, at no time did I consider it important that our retired and present worker bees have input on executive hiring. It doesn't fit their general skill set and they would undoubtedly pick a guy inside whom they liked (ala John Gutekunst). When you see a guy like Jack Brewer proposing we bring Coach Mason back, I think that is a good indicator/example that former players don't possess any special insight and are just as prone to pushing their friends or personal agendas as anyone. Should they be involved with the program? Yes, they should be around to provide support and insight to players and help when called upon. The savegopherfootball group might have great motives, but I do question their credentials. From the jist of what I've seen, the site's main goal is self promotion. "We're not going to allow the program to fail!". Sounds great, the best way to do that is to write a check or work behind the scenes in the corridors of power. If they want input, do the really expect to get access by publicly calling out the admin or AD? Professionals generally handle these things behind closed doors. Maybe I'm just a natural skeptic, but the approach is what could lead one to question the motivation of whomever is behind the site. I respect and admire many of the former players, but they are still people like all of us here. Some good, some bad, with all kinds of motivations from personal to altruistic and all types of intelligence levels. I hope that the coming days demonstrate that the group is exactly as it claims to be, but as they say in Missouri, show me.

My concern with the process is all about Maturi. And I think that is a common thread amongst many supporters. For me, Marturi lost creditability with the Brewster hire as well as how he handled Monson's and Mason's departures. Many feel that Tubby landed in Maturi's lap as well. My confidence level is nill with him with this hire.

So what do we do?

IMO, Bruininks is in the drivers seat and Maturi is in the back seat doing the leg work. Bruininks would be well advised to use as many resources as possible. Can formers players be an asset? I think so. They have contacts and a vast network that can help provide information about candidates that a search firm may not be able to provide. I believe Dungy, whom most have a lot of faith in and a past player, falls in that category.

By no means am I suggesting a vigilante type of process here but getting the right people involved to assist the Admin. in making a great hire.

Maturi

Guys, our best chance is to let Maturi do his job. It's what he does. If Bruininks didn't feel football was important enough to be involved in Brewster's hire then he isn't of any value now.
If he's not willing to be accountable and share the responsibility for Brewster's failure then we don't need him either.

What in the world does Bruiniks know about hiring a football coach? At best he's a fan. His job is to support who the athletic director hires.

Give Maturi credit: He fired Mason. He got us a nice stadium.

His timing in replacing Mason got us Brewster. Brewster did more for Gopher football than Mason did. Mason had no relationship with MN HS coaches. None. Brewster did. Mason didn't donate any money to the stadium. Brewster did. We have athletes in place. It is all fixable.

Maturi is our best chance to hire the right guy. Some booster has an agenda. Tony Dungy has an agenda. Dave Mona is hilarious as a component to hiring a coach. His job is to talk about the result. Sell it. Not be involved in choosing it other than a sounding board like any of us.

They may have shut down their website but, according to today's Pioneer Press, they took out a full page ad in today's Minnesota Daily.

BREWSTER didnt have a good defense

You didn't say "have a good defense". You said "emphasize defense". Brewster did that, without question. Look at where he focused most of his recruiting energy. Look at position switching. Mason almost always went defense to offense, whereas Brewster almost always went offense to defense. For such a big Gophers fan, you sure don't know what the hell you're talking about.

or instate recruit

Let me say it loudly, so you'll perhaps understand.

NO SCHOOL, NO COACH, GETS ALL THE IN-STATE PLAYERS THEY WANT. Period.

Considering the state of the program, Brewster did an admirable job keeping in-state recruits home. Period.

It's not a fair critique of the University to say that Random Recruit X went off and did well at NDSU, Northern Iowa, Air Force, etc. because A) every BCS school misses out on a ton of recruits they wish they had and B) not only Minnesota, but every BCS school missed out on those particular Minnesota HS recruits. Period.

Apparently they took an ad out in the MnDaily today about not letting Maturi make the hire. What a joke.

Apparently they took an ad out in the MnDaily today about not letting Maturi make the hire. What a joke.

Waste of money. The clock is ticking down, the final game is 16 days away, and we will have a new coach soon after that. There's no one to pressure. Bruininks is retiring, you can't tell him "fire Maturi, you you will be fired." Brewster was a mistaken hire, but overall, if anything we've listened too much to boosters in hiring and firing over the years.

Today's Press Release
Clipped:

The group’s message is:
“We’ve bled on the field and we’re bleeding now; our hearts are breaking at what’s happened to our Gopher Football program. The University leadership is wasting its last, best chance to set our football program, our athletic department and the institution’s reputation on a successful path. We cannot sit back and watch this happen – again. We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore.”

If Maturi shouldn't make the hire, then who should? Should the boosters take a vote? The boosters probably aren't any more unified than anyone else, whoever is selected as the HC is probably going to piss off some of the boosters. I'm a lot more interested in what current ADs and coaches think about the new candidates.

The intensity is all good, but it's not like they don't already know things are in the crapper right now. The 2nd half of OSU is all you needed to watch to know what's up. I think FINALLY, the administration is serious about this thing. Let's not kid ourselves, there was nothing but apathy with this program when Mason was fired. No one seemed to really care. If hiring Brewster is what it took to fire everyone up, then I'm glad we did LOL.

Regarding the process and search firm involved, didn't it produce very strong candidates, as well as Brewster? Just because Maturi got caught up in the interview and bought into the sales job doesn't mean the process was completely flawed. He's not gonna be the end all guy here, I guarantee you input will be coming from many places. And not only that, the process then was about 10 days since they fired Mason in January, so everything that happened then, doesn't apply now. They have a very solid amount of time, more resources in their arsenal (new stadium, more money), and an already botched previous hire that's putting more pressure to make a good hire this time around.

I guess I just wonder, they don't want Maturi involved, but is having a group of former players really better? I'm very hesitant to go that route. I'm not sure why they would be infinitely more qualified to handle any kind of hiring process than the administration. Just because they haven't had a chance to screw up a hire before? I'm just saying, I like the fire, but let's be careful in thinking we can just do Maturi's job cause we aren't in position to do it.

In case anyone is interested in finding out more, Joe Schmit just Tweeted this would be on channel 5 right now:

Former #Gophers not happy that Maturi is picking new coach. Preview at 6:00, story at 10:00 and on Sports Wrap Sunday night

""Most "M" men and I have a great love for the University but for some reason we are on the outside looking in. Many hang in there while others stay away as far as possible. I was appalled with the high number of native Minnesotans who are "M" men who have nothing to do with the Athletic Department and the Football program in particular. There are so many groups and subgroups trying to influence the direction of Gopher Football, but their efforts are counterproductive because of the absence of strong leadership. There's a cancer within the Athletic Department and this disease is quite destructive.
A great number of "M" men feel ignored and serious rejection when their eligibility has expired. The program appears not to care about them afterwards. We have too many folks without meaningful employment, although the promise is, "Give the University 4 years on the gridiron and we'll give you 40 years of work in the business community." The proof of the pudding for all athletic departments is what happens to the athletes after they have gone through the program. I don't know of any athlete who has gone through Notre Dame or USC who is doing poorly. In addition to that it's embarrassing to hear how well Wisconsin and Iowa treat the players who have gone through their programs.

We have had "M" men with children and prospects who were "Blue Chippers" who placed calls to the football office because they were interested in Minnesota Football and never received a return call. Therefore many of these players went on to contribute to other major programs around the country. Something is seriously wrong with that picture.

We need strong leadership in the President, Athletic Director, Head Football Coach and fan base such as "M" Club, Alumni and community.

Just the tip of the iceberg."
—John M. Williams, 1965-67"

this alleged quote pretty much sums up their effort. What a fraud.

Seemed like a lot of random axe grinding. If former players aren't involving themselves with the athletics department, that at least can't be solely the fault of the AD. And I suppose with every school there are players who aren't going to do so well out in the business world. I don't think the U promised players that they would have a guaranteed high-paying job for 40 years.

And parents bringing their "blue chip" children to the U, and getting turned down? If these players were really blue chip players, the U would be giving them scholarships. But everyone thinks that their kids are the best players out there. It would be great if the children of former players could themselves play for the U. But sometimes, they just aren't Big Ten caliber. They can walk on if they want a chance to earn a scholarship here.

I wonder how many people they really represent. I imagine a 1/4 page add in the student newspaper isn't cheap, but I also imagine it is a lot cheaper than an ad in the Star Tribune or the Pioneer Press. But with that ad, they got free media coverage on TV, radio and newspapers.

A new hire, a few wins, and this will all be forgotten about.

""Most "M" men and I have a great love for the University but for some reason we are on the outside looking in. Many hang in there while others stay away as far as possible. I was appalled with the high number of native Minnesotans who are "M" men who have nothing to do with the Athletic Department and the Football program in particular. There are so many groups and subgroups trying to influence the direction of Gopher Football, but their efforts are counterproductive because of the absence of strong leadership. There's a cancer within the Athletic Department and this disease is quite destructive.
A great number of "M" men feel ignored and serious rejection when their eligibility has expired. The program appears not to care about them afterwards. We have too many folks without meaningful employment, although the promise is, "Give the University 4 years on the gridiron and we'll give you 40 years of work in the business community." The proof of the pudding for all athletic departments is what happens to the athletes after they have gone through the program. I don't know of any athlete who has gone through Notre Dame or USC who is doing poorly. In addition to that it's embarrassing to hear how well Wisconsin and Iowa treat the players who have gone through their programs.

We have had "M" men with children and prospects who were "Blue Chippers" who placed calls to the football office because they were interested in Minnesota Football and never received a return call. Therefore many of these players went on to contribute to other major programs around the country. Something is seriously wrong with that picture.

We need strong leadership in the President, Athletic Director, Head Football Coach and fan base such as "M" Club, Alumni and community.

Just the tip of the iceberg."
—John M. Williams, 1965-67"

Can you give a few examples please?

Not to be rude, but why would the M men have any more say than any other alumnus with a checkbook and a degree from the U? They are mearly a faction that is vocal. The public comment period, which isn't part of the process, must come to a close very soon and people should start to shut up and watch. The U has a hiring process. Don't interfer with it. The more people tamper with the process the higher the likelihood of interference will be a concern to candidates or applicants. Nice to have concern. Too many people with their fingers in the stew only spoil it for everybody. Gopher football is nice and even modestly important to the University. Beyond that, the new President hire has more importance and impact on the reputation of the University than does the football team that I so dearly love. Not many football players posting on that hire or pulling ads for their slate of candidates for that job. That is how pathetic and low this fine country of ours has sunk. I look forward to hiring an outstanding President and an outstanding coach. I would rather our school move up the world rankings than win the national championship. But, I would be cheering the team on every step of the way. I am not going to give up sleep on if the football alum get their undies in a bunch.

I can certainly vouch for this on the basketball side. I had a former player come to me - a good kid, never got into trouble, and graduated from the U - he actually conducted 50 informational interviews before he got his 1st job out of college. He had emailed all the boosters, and had only even heard back from 2-3...these are guys that worshiped him when he was playing. This is clearly not a player that expected to have everything handed to him, was just looking for a break. I can't believe we don't have better career placement advice/help for these young men. For the 99% that don't go pro, imagine being able to sell a recruit on the fact that 100% of graduates from their sport got a job within X amount of months after graduation. Or something to that effect. It's a huge recruiting tool, and just the right thing to do.

Top Bottom