Sanford Says Buffs' Retooled Coaching Staff Has Right Stuff

SonjayLarrick

Reaction score
Full article here: https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/4/18/...-retooled-coaching-staff-has-right-stuff.aspx

Does it feel like this quote could be directed at Fleck?

"It's great to work in a healthy environment with a head coach that has a clear vision, lets you coach and be who you are," Sanford said. "I just love that he lets all of us as position coaches and coordinators lead the way we are comfortable leading. It starts with Coach Dorrell and his vision, allowing us to do things we see are fit for our offense."

Full article here: https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/4/18/...-retooled-coaching-staff-has-right-stuff.aspx

"It's great to work in a healthy environment with a head coach that has a clear vision, lets you coach and be who you are," Sanford said. "I just love that he lets all of us as position coaches and coordinators lead the way we are comfortable leading. It starts with Coach Dorrell and his vision, allowing us to do things we see are fit for our offense."
I think it is probably fairly safe to assume that Sanford and Fleck aren't that tight anymore. That clear vision and great leadership from Coach Dorrell led his squad to a 4-8 record last year. Couple more years of great leadership like that is going to see him unemployed.

100% But, if he was brighter Sanford would of realized before he came to Minnesota how PJ does things.
Time will tell how successful their offense is under his direction. He now has no excuses left, everyone knows he is the guy responsible for the offense.

Doubtful. With Sanfords track record of making QBs worse. He can’t afford to burn any bridges.

MPLS Gopher had a thread about him:

Given where the fans were after the total domination that was the Minnesota Golden Gophers for one game last year...he probably has some leg room for his maiden season...

Given where the fans were after the total domination that was the Minnesota Golden Gophers for one game last year...he probably has some leg room for his maiden season...
I think I can say that...leg room and referencing a maiden...

Here's a little Sanford tidbit:

I coach High School ball in Colorado. I couldn't attend the big Glazier Coaches Clinic and asked some of our position coaches go to certain sessions/speakers. Our OL coach went to Sanford's session on RPO blocking. Our OL coach said it was super complicated and confusing.

There's a lot of styles of coaching, but a universal tactic is to make things simple for your players. Sounds like maybe Sanford was lacking in that aspect.

Here's a little Sanford tidbit:

I coach High School ball in Colorado. I couldn't attend the big Glazier Coaches Clinic and asked some of our position coaches go to certain sessions/speakers. Our OL coach went to Sanford's session on RPO blocking. Our OL coach said it was super complicated and confusing.

There's a lot of styles of coaching, but a universal tactic is to make things simple for your players. Sounds like maybe Sanford was lacking in that aspect.
Rossi when he took over was said to have simplified things, turned that season around.

Granted that's also a "new guy middle of the season" 100% normal thing to do too.

But outside a few options ... how complicated could RPO blocking be? They're kids, can only have so many options ...

MPLS Gopher had a thread about him:

Not defending him at all because I didn’t watch the games but I like the people who are critical of the job he did at Western Kentucky and Utah state having never watched a game he coached at either place.

Not defending him at all because I didn’t watch the games but I like the people who are critical of the job he did at Western Kentucky and Utah state having never watched a game he coached at either place.
I get your point.

But he is a Robb Smith clone on the offensive side of the game. He overcomplicates schemes instead of simplifying them as Rossi does. Tanner seemed out of sync last season. Did Sanford Jr. cause TM to think too much instead of reacting naturally?

We shall see how Tanner Morgan does this season.

Last edited:

He’s fortunate to be getting a clean slate at QB. Colorado doesn’t have one with a history of success that he can really mess up.

I get your point.

But he is a Robb Smith clone on the offensive side of the game. He overcomplicates schemes instead of simplifying them as Rossi does. Tanner seemed out of sync last season. Did Sanford Jr. cause TM to think too much instead of reacting naturally?

We shall see how Tanner Morgan does this season.

Yeah. I’m not sure he is very good at teaching what he preaches.
He knows what he is talking about which is why he keeps getting jobs, but he can’t get his guys to execute it.
No doubt that was the case at Mn.

But if you never watched Jordan love jn college, you don’t get to claim he regressed because of Sanford. You have no idea. I’d venture to guess 98% of this board never watched a Utah state game in its entirety during the Jordan love era.

I suspect he has had his MN issues at previous spots. But I didn’t really watch at Utah state or western Kentucky so I don’t know for sure.

He knows what he is talking about which is why he keeps getting jobs, but he can’t get his guys to execute it.

But if you never watched Jordan love jn college, you don’t get to claim he regressed because of Sanford. You have no idea. I’d venture to guess 98% of this board never watched a Utah state game in its entirety during the Jordan love era.

I suspect he has had his MN issues at previous spots. But I didn’t really watch at Utah state or western Kentucky so I don’t know for sure.
Not sure he really knows what he's talking about...

Not sure he really knows what he's talking about...
Unless you think all kinds of coaches all over the country were dooped by him, he knows something

You don’t become an FBS head coach, a Notre dame, big 10, and pac 12 coordinator if you can’t talk some X’s and O’s With people who know stuff

I suspect he has had his MN issues at previous spots. But I didn’t really watch Utah state or western Kentucky so I don’t know for sure.
Jordan Love is a talented QB. Utah State lost a lot of starters through graduation when he returned to Utah State:

Wikipedia: "In 2019, Love returned to Utah State under a new head coach and offensive coordinator, and saw many teammates from his previous season graduate, including four starters on the offensive line. He again started all 13 games, completing 293 of 473 passes for 3,402 yards with 20 touchdowns and a career-high 17 interceptions. His team slid to a 7–6 record with the changes to the roster and coaching staff."

You are correct. We don't know if the loss of starters, coaching, or both played a part. Jordan Love still had a decent season minus the interceptions.

The Packers drafted him to be the heir-apparent to Aaron Rogers.

We know what he did in Minnesota.

Jordan Love is a talented QB. Utah State lost a lot of starters through graduation when he returned to Utah State:

Wikipedia: "In 2019, Love returned to Utah State under a new head coach and offensive coordinator, and saw many teammates from his previous season graduate, including four starters on the offensive line. He again started all 13 games, completing 293 of 473 passes for 3,402 yards with 20 touchdowns and a career-high 17 interceptions. His team slid to a 7–6 record with the changes to the roster and coaching staff."

You are correct. We don't know if the loss of starters, coaching, or both played a part. Jordan Love still had a decent season minus the interceptions.

The Packers drafted him to be the heir-apparent to Aaron Rogers.

We know what he did in Minnesota.
Yup. And I only watched Sanford coach at Notre dame and Minnesota

At Minnesota; Morgan couldn’t execute what he was trying to do in 2020 then he went into a shell in 21. I tend to blame sanford for that: at Notre dame those were quality offenses whether they were slightly worse than the year before or not

It is all dependent upon your success.

If things are going well, a HC will "let you do your thing", if not, then the HC tends to meddle.

It is all dependent upon your success.

If things are going well, a HC will "let you do your thing", if not, then the HC tends to meddle.
It literally isn’t. It is all dependent on the speciality and personality of the head coach

I believe he was definitely taking a few shots at PJ and the Gopher program. PJ is wound so tightly and his program probably resembles that personality. I would guess many assistants can't handle the environment very well. PJ was probably all over Sanford and making him uncomfortable. Now he finds it refreshing to work for a guy who is hands off and less driven. Problem is, his new boss is not winning.

Unless you think all kinds of coaches all over the country were dooped by him, he knows something

You don’t become an FBS head coach, a Notre dame, big 10, and pac 12 coordinator if you can’t talk some X’s and O’s With people who know stuff
You'd be surprised...

Good news is it will be hard for him to make that offense worse...

All I know was that his offense was overly predictable and did not have the same level of flow as KC did with Morgan. I did like that he threw to the TE more though. I would say from an eye test that the team regressed some with him as OC. Now would he have been better this year? Hard to say. I wouldn’t say he was bad per say but he wasn’t good and wasn’t innovative.

It’s called 💋 your new boss’ backside.

All I know was that his offense was overly predictable and did not have the same level of flow as KC did with Morgan. I did like that he threw to the TE more though. I would say from an eye test that the team regressed some with him as OC. Now would he have been better this year? Hard to say. I wouldn’t say he was bad per say but he wasn’t good and wasn’t innovative.
I personally think if you go back to 2020 he was trying to be and it didn’t work.

This year the team was super vanilla no doubt

So to paraphrase what Sanford Jr said was "we have fun"..."we toss out ideas" "coach Dorrell lets us do what we want".."our receivers and our tight ends and our backs caught a lot passes in practice. It's awesome.

Good riddance

One thing we will never know for sure, is how much the pandemic affected Sanford being able to install his offense for 2020.

Not worth rehashing. Just another in a million factors.

End of the day, it didn't work out, and we moved on.

Top Bottom