San Diego Union Tribune: Will Minnesota try to hire away Brian Dutcher from Aztecs? (mentions GopherHole)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the SD Union Tribune:

Because buried on the third page of coach Brian Dutcher’s 2020 contract extension, under item 6 (g), is this sentence:

Should Employee accept head coaching position at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, … the buyout obligation shall be $1 million.

For anyone else, it is $6.925 million.

Dutcher’s father, Jim, coached at Minnesota from 1975 to 1985 and won the school’s last Big Ten men’s basketball title that wasn’t later vacated. Dutcher went to high school in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington and was a student manager for his father’s teams while getting a degree in physical education. His three sisters attended Minnesota as well. So did Jan, his future wife.

Jim Dutcher and most of their relatives still live in Twin Cities.

Brian and Jan split their summer vacations between different family lake houses in the state.

Dutcher declined comment Friday, as did SDSU Athletic Director John David Wicker. Coyle, the Minnesota AD, said he won’t discuss Pitino’s future until after the season.

Gopherhole.com already has listed its top 10 replacement candidates, five of which have Mountain West ties. Former Nevada and current Arkansas coach Eric Musselman, whose father, Bill, was Minnesota’s head coach immediately before Jim Dutcher, is No. 3. Colorado State’s Niko Medved, whose Rams are in second place behind SDSU and is also a Minnesota alum, is No. 2.

Dutcher is No. 1.

Go Gophers!!

Just having some fun. I was insinuating that we are all famous now because we're a "source" to the SD Tribune.

We made it!! We relevant!

Started from the bottom now we here

It's also from a classic Drake song

Ahh, gotcha, thanks.

Go Gophers!!

The pool of Minnesota connected candidates is much deeper than the last time, all of whom I would be excited by hiring even if they didn't have a connncection.

I figured it was only a matter of time before they started to get publicly nervous about this. I remember their AD being asked about the clause when the contract was executed. He pretty much shrugged and said Brian insisted on it.

No question in my mind that he'll come here with a reasonable offer. Double his base and put in similar, more lucrative incentives as his SDSU contract.

I figured it was only a matter of time before they started to get publicly nervous about this. I remember their AD being asked about the clause when the contract was executed. He pretty much shrugged and said Brian insisted on it.
And I imagine also added something like "no human being actually wants to leave San Diego for Minnesota, mmmkay?"

No question in my mind that he'll come here with a reasonable offer. Double his base and put in similar, more lucrative incentives as his SDSU contract.
But will he be able to sustain the passion and energy that it's going to take to rebuild this thing from the foundation??

He's sitting very pretty at SDSU. Fairly high level western players want to play there. Will be a 180 change here.

That's really my only concern.

But were you stationed there? Not that it matters, just wondering (if you're willing to share).

No, non military. Went to grad school at SDSU and started my career there. Was there when Fischer and Dutcher first arrived.

Go Gophers!!

Does get to a broader point though (and I'm making an assumption about you, here):

the draw to come back home, especially with family in the area, can be a major force.

And I imagine also added something like "no human being actually wants to leave San Diego for Minnesota, mmmkay?"
He isn't entirely wrong.
However, I was in San Diego last spring (just before the Covid shutdown) and it rained for a couple days. The Tijuana River spewed toxins into the ocean and the current brought those toxins right up to the Silver Strand. All the beaches were shut down due to the toxic levels of contaminants. The news reported that the Tijuana River is one of the most polluted rivers in the world.
San Diego was beautiful and the climate is about as perfect as any place in the United States, so the AD isn't wrong. Given a much more lucrative existence, I would get a home in Torre Pines and golf the links every day. Just saying...

He isn't entirely wrong.
However, I was in San Diego last spring (just before the Covid shutdown) and it rained for a couple days. The Tijuana River spewed toxins into the ocean and the current brought those toxins right up to the Silver Strand. All the beaches were shut down due to the toxic levels of contaminants. The news reported that the Tijuana River is one of the most polluted rivers in the world.
San Diego was beautiful and the climate is about as perfect as any place in the United States, so the AD isn't wrong. Given a much more lucrative existence, I would get a home in Torre Pines and golf the links every day. Just saying...
We try to get out to visit our son in Del Mar as much as possible, especially when is is cold. Beautiful area. The Tijuana river problem just impacts the Imperial Beach area next to Mexico (just south of Coronado Beach).

I love southern California as much as anyone, but I still live here. It's home, and it's really a heck of a good place to live.

I truly believe that it's cheaper to live in the Twin Cities and visit SoCal often than to live there. That might be the winning move: the best of both worlds.

The San Diego Tribune quotes Gopherhole's Top 10 replacement candidate thread, but doesn't even mention GopherinNYC's Donation to Extend Pitino thread. How about both sides of the story?

LOL, very funny. Sorry to have peed in your cheerios WoodburyTim.

In my defense -

1615140721239.png

I love southern California as much as anyone, but I still live here. It's home, and it's really a heck of a good place to live.

I truly believe that it's cheaper to live in the Twin Cities and visit SoCal often than to live there. That might be the winning move: the best of both worlds.

The cost of living thing is very real when considering coaching salaries. I think a lot of coaching jobs in California have housing included or a separate allowance because housing costs are so high.

We try to get out to visit our son in Del Mar as much as possible, especially when is is cold. Beautiful area. The Tijuana river problem just impacts the Imperial Beach area next to Mexico (just south of Coronado Beach).
Last spring they closed all the beaches from Coronado down south. It was one reason we spent the day walking the beach and cliff shore of Torre Pines.

This has probably already been said In multiple threads. But if this guy has a buyout of $1million for Minnesots, compared to $6.5 million for other schools. Isn't it obvious he's coming here if we cant get Muss?

This has probably already been said In multiple threads. But if this guy has a buyout of $1million for Minnesots, compared to $6.5 million for other schools. Isn't it obvious he's coming here if we cant get Muss?
No, but it is obvious that we would like to be here...

Top Bottom