Sad day for Gopher Fans - Paul Carter is transferring

Paul - Thank you for blessing us with your presence the past two years.

I personally think this is somewhat happy news. Here is a kid who is sacrificing a lot to be with his family and obviously has a fantastic head on his shoulders. He also says many wonderful things about Nadine and about Gopher fans, including us here. What a great family and a great, inspirational young man.

All the best to Paul and his family. His decision and his note to GL show him to be a man of excellent character.

I wish Paul and his family nothing but the best. Thank you for all you've done for this team. I'll never forget how this team came together after they shaved their heads in support of your sister. Just shows you the power of love.

I too feel the same sentiment as everyone here..... PC handled himself well on the court and seems even better off the court. #1 we'll miss you and best wishes to your future, your sister and family. God bless.

Best of luck to Paul and his sister. I hope the NCAA has the heart and sense to let him play wherever he wishes next season.

I had a gut feeling maybe he would transfer considering how close he is to his family and the situation they were going through. Can't blame him one bit. I wish him and his fam all the best

Where is his family living? What D1 schools are nearby? Best luck to him, real class act. Praying for his sister and family.

Good luck Paul

Your are exactly the type of student athlete one should strive to be. Hopes and thoughts with you and your sister. Good luck to you...

God Bless You, Paul, and know that Gopher fans will be following your progress, and praying for a healthy recovery for your little sister.

For those who are wondering about where he'll transfer, an educated guess would be that he'd wind up at Arkansas-Little Rock. But wherever he goes, the program will be fortunate to have gained his services, both on and off the court.

Best of luck to Paul and his sister and entire family. Paul is a great person and an even better big brother!

Does anyone know where his sister and family are living? What colleges might be in line for his services?

If I recall correctly, the old Strib & Press stories said Bria was getting treated in Chicago. I believe they live there also.

If I recall correctly, the old Strib & Press stories said Bria was getting treated in Chicago. I believe they live there also.

Good call, then. Perhaps he'll wind up joining new coach Oliver Purnell at Depaul. Otherwise, the closest D-I schools would be Illinois-Chicago, Chicago State, or maybe Northern Illinois, which is about 60 miles West of Chicago.

Good Luck PC

Good luck Paul. You are a special student athlete that doesn't walk thru the doors everyday, that is why we will miss you so much, and also why there are 3+ pages of posts. You have your priorities
properly lined up. Good luck to you and your sister. We will miss your fine character on our team.
Some program is in for a pleasant addition.

This is sad news. He was a good player with a lot of potential.

Not to mention he seemed to have his head on straight.

Paul Carter is a shinning example of what is good about student athletics. The Gophers will sorely miss his leadership.

Paul, you are a great athlete but even a better human being.
Our prayers are with you and your family.

That's certainly sad. Paul's been a great asset to this team, and has always seemed like a nice guy. My prayers will be with him and his family, and I hope he has a great senior season somewhere.

Marcus Tweet March 19th-

Wonder who won't be back next season from the underclassmen for the Gophers. Are Paul Carter and Justin Cobbs possible departures???

Good work Marcus - Good luck in you future endeavors Paul.

It's all been said here.......

....spiritual leader, positive energy, improving player....this hurts the TEAM, because it's so hard to become a quality human being, and Paul is such a great example. I'm glad he's comfortable with the decision, I only wish he could be counted as a U of M alum, because I know he's going to a great example to others throughout his life.

If there's ever a good reason to transfer this is it! Thoughts and prayers with PC and his family, and good luck to him in the future.

Paul was perhaps my family's favorite Gopher. While a very good basketball player, he seemed to be an even better person. He conducted himself with class and character, and was a fantastic representative of the University and the team. While he will surely be missed, we support his decision 100%.

All the best to you, Paul, in your future endeavors!!!!

Thank you for being a Gopher, Paul.

God bless and best wishes on the rest of your journey.

I'm sure the NCAA would frown on it, but it would be great if he could get up here for what would have been his senior night. He deserves the recognition and gratitude.

Sad news ... Carter seemed to be a class player and to get along with his teammates. I was banking on him to replace Damian Johnson next year.

My thoughts exactly. I was anticipating PC being a senior captain and leader on the team, as well as a replacement for DJs minutes and defense.

Sad to see you go Paul, but family first. Best of luck at your new digs, and know that Gopher fans will be tracking your senior year. Hoping you have a terriffic and dominant senior season.

When a young man faces a family crisis like this it brings out his true character. Just like he did for his team, he is puting what is best for him aside to support his family. When your sister has cancer basketball seems like a silly game. This is a basketball player and human being we will all miss. Best of luck to Paul and his sister. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I hope GL will stay in touch with Paul and give us updates on how he and his sister are doing.

Here's an update...

Just heard from Paul - and he does not know where he will be transferring to. Any program would be lucky to have him!

Just heard from Paul - and he does not know where he will be transferring to. Any program would be lucky to have him!

I'm not too familiar with transfer rules. Could Paul go to a D-1 school without having to sit out a year? Does he only have 1 year of eligibility left?

I wish you the best, Paul. You, your sister and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm not too familiar with transfer rules. Could Paul go to a D-1 school without having to sit out a year? Does he only have 1 year of eligibility left?

YEs, the NCAA allowed Tyler Smith to transfer from Iowa to Tennessee because his father was sick without sitting a year. Of course, Smith's situation didn't work out for other reasons...

PC

This is so very sad on so many levels.

I hope for the best for Paul, his sister, and his family.

His time as a Gopher was too short but I will remember him for the class kid he is.

Top Bottom