Saban Retiring. Was one heck of a run.

I could see Dabo taking it. Too traditional and stuffy for Lane. Maybe Sark.
I have a hard time believing any of the 5 I mentioned won’t get a match from their current employer. In which case why would they go to a school where their current level of performance over the last two years would get them fired in 4 years at Bama?

So I don’t think they’re getting any of those 5. I do think those 5 will get nice raises.

He'll throw himself into his Mercedes dealerships, but he'll do something, he can't sit still.

Have to tip your hat to the GOAT. I’ve come to begrudgingly admire Saban, though I won’t shed a tear if Bama has a Nebraska stretch.

I know Bama is a top job… maybe THE top job… but man, taking over from Saban in a rapidly changing environment is a tough ask. If I’m the Washington, Texas, Oregon, etc. coach, I’m thinking I could regularly compete for one of the 12 playoff spots and be safe for years. But you probably have 2-3 years at Bama to be competitive for a title or they’re calling for your head. Maybe I just don’t have that ultra competitive edge it needs to take the Bama job.

Have to tip your hat to the GOAT. I’ve come to begrudgingly admire Saban, though I won’t shed a tear if Bama has a Nebraska stretch.

I know Bama is a top job… maybe THE top job… but man, taking over from Saban in a rapidly changing environment is a tough ask. If I’m the Washington, Texas, Oregon, etc. coach, I’m thinking I could regularly compete for one of the 12 playoff spots and be safe for years. But you probably have 2-3 years at Bama to be competitive for a title or they’re calling for your head. Maybe I just don’t have that ultra competitive edge it needs to take the Bama job.
Exactly how I feel. Especially when there are 50-60 jobs that give your family enough money to set you up for generations now.

It’s not like Bama is the only school who pays.
Hell, Tom Allen just got a 15.5 million buyout

Jerry Kill mentioned yet?

I wonder if we could calculate the hours worrying about someone stealing MN's head coach and nothing happened vs hours worrying about it when it did happen.

Reminds me of a guy I worked with who always was terrified of a layoff. We worked together for 15 years before he got the axe and ... amusingly he wasn't worried about it by the time it happened.

There was something in the way he looked after the Michigan loss I thought looked different. Not saying I knew he was retiring. Just saying there was a different look.
I think there were a lot of signs this past year that he was preparing for retirement. There were stories how he has purchased an $18M home in FL (new retirement destination). Then this past year he agreed to do a once a week stint on the Pat McAfee show (preparing for that TV job after football). So, I think he was giving plenty of hints he was preparing for that next post football phase of life. I just wonder who gets kicked off College Gameday to bring him in.

Transfer portal now open for Bama players…. 30 days.
The wolves will definitely be at the door with their checkbooks trying to lure a few of their guys away. The Alabama collective better have their war chest built up if they thought this might be coming.

Texas and Okla fans have to be licking their chops with this timing. If Alabama just drops off slightly with Saban's departure then it's their chance to slide into that dominant spot with Georgia.

I think there were a lot of signs this past year that he was preparing for retirement. There were stories how he has purchased an $18M home in FL (new retirement destination). Then this past year he agreed to do a once a week stint on the Pat McAfee show (preparing for that TV job after football). So, I think he was giving plenty of hints he was preparing for that next post football phase of life. I just wonder who gets kicked off College Gameday to bring him in.
He just looked tired. Not like himself at times.

Probably the best coach, in any sport, in our life time. Sad, really sad!
I'm old and I've seen a lot of great coaches, but I agree he's the best of this era by far and puts up a great resume against coaches from earlier eras. What I always liked about him is that he was intense without being a big-time dick.

Ya, poor Nick. Such a disadvantage at a university that doesn't emphasize football. ;)
even with the advantages, more meaning you have to be willing to pour into it year after year. gotta be tiring in your 70s.

Low key image...

Hey, has Jerry Jones commented on this? (barged in for attention)

Sources told Low that Saban had grown increasingly frustrated with "what college football had turned into. He's all about team and building a team and developing players, and now the only thing that seems to matter is who can get what in the NIL and who can get the biggest deal."

His last play of his career was awful. Sad to see him end his tenure on a bad note. It seemed like he did not know it was OT. Will he in a few months coach again?

Top Bottom