Rumors?????

As you gopherholers know, I take rumors to be worth what I pay for them. But I would like to share: Today, my son, whom I would trust with my checkbook, called me. He has a very close friend inside the Gopher Athletic Department. This "rumor" is that on Monday, both Brewster and Maturi will be gone. Any other holers heard anything? I do not want opinions. I want to know if any of you have anything to add to this rumor.

I think there is a better chance that this 'inside information' would more likely lead you to either no longer trust your son with your checkbook, or determine his friend isn't as far inside the athletic as he seems.

It's nauseating when it comes in the context of trying to deflect attention away from the failure of the football program.

+1

It's fine to tout the virtues of rowing, gymnastics and golf; but not when your football program with its fancy new stadium is a steaming ash heap.

Tubby Smith landed in Maturi's lap. He gets virtually no credit for that one.

If you're going to blast a guy for his misses, you have to at least credit his successes, especially one that came completely from left field. You can't possibly say that the Gophers could have made a better hire than Tubby Smith at that time. He instantly turned the barn into a sold out venue again, which no doubt helped the University, even with the stupid Jimmy Williams fiasco.

It's nauseating when it comes in the context of trying to deflect attention away from the failure of the football program.

Exactly. The optics on this sort of thing are just terrible.

If you're going to blast a guy for his misses, you have to at least credit his successes, especially one that came completely from left field. You can't possibly say that the Gophers could have made a better hire than Tubby Smith at that time. He instantly turned the barn into a sold out venue again, which no doubt helped the University, even with the stupid Jimmy Williams fiasco.

Right or wrong, I can assure you that most Gopher sports fans do not give Maturi credit for "landing" Tubby. And in the end, public sentiment is important.

How did you become so all-knowing?

Right or wrong, I can assure you that most Gopher sports fans do not give Maturi credit for "landing" Tubby. And in the end, public sentiment is important.

I love it when guys claim to speak for "most Gopher sports fans". You have your opinion but "most real Gopher sports fans" disagree.

Well...it's Monday...

One day left on your Credibilty Card...

I love it when guys claim to speak for "most Gopher sports fans". You have your opinion but "most real Gopher sports fans" disagree.

This coming from a guy with the username "Goofers." You must be one of the real fans :rolleyes:

You realize the irony here is that you too are attempting to speak for most Gopher fans. And I have to chime in that anyone with a name like "Goofers" doesn't look like a fan at all.

Life works that way sometimes...Tubby could have said no and waited for a better opportunity.

The claim that most Gopher fans do not credit Maturi for getting Tubby is suspect at best. A poll would prove nothing, moist Gopher fans do not post here. And in any case, it would be deeply colored by current attitutes toward Maturi about the football situation/

Life works that way sometimes...Tubby could have said no and waited for a better opportunity.

Except that Tubby came to the Gophers and said, "hire me." Pretty sure he wouldn't have said no at that point. :confused:

Except that Tubby came to the Gophers and said, "hire me." Pretty sure he wouldn't have said no at that point. :confused:

Michigan was open at the same time. As was Iowa. Why didn't he go there?

Michigan was open at the same time. As was Iowa. Why didn't he go there?

IF I remember correctly, somebody steered Tubby to the U due to the hunger for a winning coach, the probability he would be more appreciated here and far less pressure then being in a school expecting a Nat. Championship every year from the point of hiring. Basically KENtucky wore him out.

In regards to Tubby, wasn't it a situation where the search firm that the University happened to hire is owned by a big time Georgia alum who became good friends with Tubby when he was coaching there.

If

it was a joke it wasnt funny. I hate misleading headlines.

it was a joke it wasnt funny. I hate misleading headlines.

The point is this..... rumors, rumors, I heard from..., sources say.... etc. etc. etc. all make for good fun. if anyone knew for sure, they would not be posted as rumors. Live and learn, pups.

Top Bottom