Rumors?????

Dr.Don

Reaction score
As you gopherholers know, I take rumors to be worth what I pay for them. But I would like to share: Today, my son, whom I would trust with my checkbook, called me. He has a very close friend inside the Gopher Athletic Department. This "rumor" is that on Monday, both Brewster and Maturi will be gone. Any other holers heard anything? I do not want opinions. I want to know if any of you have anything to add to this rumor.

Interesting to watch. I doubt anything happens before the end of the season, but the start of the season has been so disappointing that anything is possible.

I would genuinely be shocked if either of those things happen.

Based on how Bruininks was talking last week, I wouldn't be surprised. He has a lot more of a take charge attitude than Maturi. And I can't believe he had anything good to say after yesterday.

It's painfully obvious Brewster is on his way out. As to whether all of this comes to fruition as soon as tomorrow or as late as the end of the season, I think it's fair to say both Maturi and Brewster are in serious trouble.

Better not be yanking my chain

Here to hoping.

Monday would certainly be a memorable day if that went down.

I wish they had a Tom Moe type guy waiting in the wings to clean up this mess.

Maybe Chris Voelz or one of her men left in the department will step in for us. Ha Ha Ha

I'd call Leach right away though and check his temp, then start working back channels with Randy Edsel and Al Golden. Those two guys may not be splashy, but they are very competent.

If Maturi is at meeting in Dallas until Wednesday then I doubt it would happen on Monday.

Had anyone heard any rumors about former gopher Bob Stein wanting the AD job? I heard that but don't rely know how credible or realistic it is and I believe he is pretty old now but that was one I heard. Wanting the job and being considered however are two different things.

Seeing is believing

I'll believe it when I see it.

If we need a new AD, I would look to Dungy as AD, not FB coach.

Keep Chris Voelz away from campus. She nearly took down the men's programs in her bitter feminist march with Title IX. Best thing the U did was combine AD's in to one not worried about gender.

Monday would certainly be a memorable day if that went down.

I wish they had a Tom Moe type guy waiting in the wings to clean up this mess.

Maybe Chris Voelz or one of her men left in the department will step in for us. Ha Ha Ha

I'd call Leach right away though and check his temp, then start working back channels with Randy Edsel and Al Golden. Those two guys may not be splashy, but they are very competent.

Al Golden is going to hold out for the Penn State job, imo. Randy Edsall will not leave UCONN for Minnesota. He has been there for more than 12 years and carried them through the transition.

Keep Chris Voelz away from campus. She nearly took down the men's programs in her bitter feminist march with Title IX. Best thing the U did was combine AD's in to one not worried about gender.

I wasn't serious about Chris V, she was an awful cancer for the overall program.

Bob Stein is a great name.

Yeah, let's all dump of Voelz for doing her job. That's got nothing to do with anything.

Needless to say, no one remotely close to Voelz would be in line for the AD position.

Rumors, the only good one is the album by Fleetwood Mac.

I suppose I could see this happening if Maturi was told to fire Brewster immediately and he refused to do so. If true, I guarantee it will be Maturi "resigning," not being fired.

A little over the top to me.

Honestly, especially in regard to Maturi, you have to gauge what he has done for the entire athletic department and not just the football program. Not sure of his work in that regard.

Al Golden is going to hold out for the Penn State job, imo. Randy Edsall will not leave UCONN for Minnesota. He has been there for more than 12 years and carried them through the transition.

Al Golden would be my choice. I don't know that he's been promised the Penn St job, but he would be strongly considered. Check out what he's done with a Temple team that seriously considered dropping down from division 1.

Joel Maturi has done a very credible job as the AD at the University of Minnesota. That being said the hiring of a Head Football Coach at Minnesota was his first time making a significant hire as an AD. As it appears he whiffed on this miserably. The hiring of a coach that lacked the qualifications to take over a program that had been lackluster for decades may have been a mistake that does Maturi in.

I makes me wonder what happened or what exactly Maturi saw in or Brewster said or did during the interview process that proceed Maturi to make the decision to hire him. It maybe as simple as looking for someone that was the complete opposite direction of the previous coach in personality and demeanor.

Whatever it was Maturi made the hire. It is on him and he needs to be held accountable for the huge decision on the hiring of Brewster that looks to have completely backfired on him.

Though I do not think Maturi should be fired. If a change is made with the football coach President Bruininks probably will need to think long and hard if Maturi should be the one making the decision who the next coach will be.

Maturi got Tubby Smith here and his extension last year to Brewster lowered the buyout, which will save money for the university in the long run. The Brewster hire was awful as was an extension to Mason, but ADs make a lot of bad hires. I'm not so sure canning Maturi is the best move. Maybe it is, but I'd be inclined to base Maturi's management of the athletic department as a whole rather than the record of the football team before canning him.

As you gopherholers know, I take rumors to be worth what I pay for them. But I would like to share: Today, my son, whom I would trust with my checkbook, called me. He has a very close friend inside the Gopher Athletic Department. This "rumor" is that on Monday, both Brewster and Maturi will be gone. Any other holers heard anything? I do not want opinions. I want to know if any of you have anything to add to this rumor.

Yes, I've heard the same thing.

Does that mean I can now have access to your checkbook?

I would kiss Bruininks on the lips if he did this (and he's not even my type). If Joel is fired, who is going to promote the Lady Gophers and their quest to excel in soccer and tennis and gymnastics?

I have heard rumors for a year. I don't put much stock in them. As my earlier post said, unless there is a wholesale change and comitment from the Pres office down, hiring a new AD and coach will not really help. We cannot keep doing the same things we have done the past 50 years and expect different results. We need a radical wholesale change in people. But more importantly we need a change in culture and expectations for the revenue producing sports that matter to the masses.

I don't know if Bruininks really will deal with this. It's his last year, and his primary goal is balancing the U's budget and dealing with all the crazy issues associated with that.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he gives Maturi the axe, but there is a lot on his plate already.

I bet if asked properly, Maturi would step aside and allow someone else deal with this. I think it's too harsh to fire Maturi. He doesn't get enough credit for the things he's done well (raising the money for the stadium and unifying the separate ADs). He's made some gaffes, and done somethings that run counter to conventional wisdom, but he's walking a mine field at Bierman 24/7.

I thought I read that Dungy wasn't interested in college coaching, but has he commented on the AD role? I would think that would be a great hire. He has been successful at putting together people to get a job done, has Minnesota ties, and has unimpeachable credibility. The question is whether that means success in college football. It would be a much harder job than television commentary, but probably more rewarding too. Is the reward worth the risk at his time of life?

I'd bet the donor dollars would start rolling in again with Dungy as AD.

My understanding from what I've read id that Dungy's wife does not want to live in
Minnesota. Red slash mark.

Stein, IMHO, would be a fantastic AD. We would not have to worry about support for football.

Stein

Didnt he run the timberwolves into the ground or am I mistaken?

I do think that Glen Mason could make a good athletic director but do not bring him back as coach.

Top Bottom