Rumored that Matt Rhule to Lincoln

Wow....PSU is 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 and this ahole is speculating about Franklin's future just because Rhule is now on the market.....can't make it up.
First and foremost, let me say that I think Franklin is a damn good coach and PSU would be foolish to oust him.

But Rhule eventually coaching PSU has been rumored for what seems like 5 years now due to his connections to the area, and obviously pretty strong resume.

To be clear, no way in hell I make that swap if I'm Penn State, but the writer isn't making this up out of nowhere.

I think Rhule would be a very good hire for any college team. The only concern I’d have is how long he stays. He appears to be an excellent college coach.
He hade some great years but I was surprised to see he is ony 4 games over .500 as college HC.

He hade some great years but I was surprised to see he is ony 4 games over .500 as college HC.
4 years at Temple, 3 years at Baylor. He has one terrible year, one mediocre year, and one really good year on his Power 5 coaching resume.

He may be a very good college coach but I'm not sure some of these program builder comments being associated with his name are really based on much since he has a very short track record as a college coach to go along with just 3 years at the Power 5 level.

i can't come up with 5 guys that would be a bigger splash that are realistic candidates. Won in college. Prior NFL head coach. Not many guys with the resume he has. plus, most importantly, i think he can actually coach as well and isn't just a name (see: Frost, Scott). If you're going to throw guys like Meyer or Stoops on the list (neither of which is realistic imo) then sure I can see where you're coming from.
His NFL experience should be a takaway, not a plus.

And his P5 record is only 3 years at Baylor: 1-11, 7-6, and 11-3.

He's for sure an upgrade from Frost though.

That's almost a little Frost like though. Rhule has the head coaching experience at Temple that Frost doesn't have, but Frost was a top coordinator at a big time school in Oregon which is experience Rhule doesn't have. His coordinator experience was at Temple.

Despite UCF being 0-12 the season before Frost took over, they were not void of talent as they won 9 games and 12 games the two years prior to that season. I feel similarly about Baylor who won 7 and 10 the two seasons before Rhule only won 1.

I think Rhule is a good coach, but I think the jury is still out on him long term.

That's almost a little Frost like though. Rhule has the head coaching experience at Temple that Frost doesn't have, but Frost was a top coordinator at a big time school in Oregon which is experience Rhule doesn't have. His coordinator experience was at Temple.

Despite UCF being 0-12 the season before Frost took over, they were not void of talent as they won 9 games and 12 games the two years prior to that season. I feel similarly about Baylor who won 7 and 10 the two seasons before Rhule only won 1.

I think Rhule is a good coach, but I think the jury is still out on him long term.
Baylor was in the middle of a major scandal when Rhule took over, so I'm not so sure those 7 and 10 win seasons mean much.

There is no sure fire flawless head coaching candidate on the market right now that Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. could realistically land. Rhule is far from a sure thing but his resume is about as good as anyone you will find out there, unless someone is going to take on the Urban Meyer baggage.

Baylor was in the middle of a major scandal when Rhule took over, so I'm not so sure those 7 and 10 win seasons mean much.

I get that, but it mostly involved former players and didn't have much effect on the roster Rhule inherited. You can argue the scandal at MN had a greater affect on the roster when PJ took over and he still won 5 games, not 1, his first season.

His NFL experience should be a takaway, not a plus.
some guys are just not cut for the nfl and do better in college. meyer, saban, holtz come to mind. it's a very different animal so don't think i'd hold it against him. but again that's a personal feel

Wow....PSU is 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 and this ahole is speculating about Franklin's future just because Rhule is now on the market.....can't make it up.
I would much rather have James Franklin but he also seems to be one foot out the door every year (and they seem to be one foot out the door with him too). It's weird because youd think both sides would just realize they have a pretty good thing but for whatever reason both sides kind of seem like they want out at different times.

I saw a tweet earlier alleging Ruhle has only a few high profile college teams he would consider at this time, but none of those jobs are open at this time. If true, I guess that leaves out Neb.

I saw a tweet earlier alleging Ruhle has only a few high profile college teams he would consider at this time, but none of those jobs are open at this time. If true, I guess that leaves out Neb.

That would mean he doesn't coach next season unless for some strange reason Penn St opens up. I just don't see any other high profile jobs opening since that carousel happened last year.

19-20 at Baylor (28-13 the 3 years before him)
28-23 at temple (30-19 the 4 years before him)

I am not sure I would be that jazzed about it. He isn’t a build it guy. He is a it was going well but the coach left (briles or golden) and Ruhl kept it going kind of well guy but not as good as the most recent good coach.

4 years at Temple, 3 years at Baylor. He has one terrible year, one mediocre year, and one really good year on his Power 5 coaching resume.

He may be a very good college coach but I'm not sure some of these program builder comments being associated with his name are really based on much since he has a very short track record as a college coach to go along with just 3 years at the Power 5 level.
Especially considering Baylor and temple were both good very recently before his arrival

19-20 at Baylor (28-13 the 3 years before him)
28-23 at temple (30-19 the 4 years before him)

I am not sure I would be that jazzed about it. He isn’t a build it guy. He is a it was going well but the coach left (briles or golden) and Ruhl kept it going kind of well guy but not as good as the most recent good coach.
Take out the 1-11 year at Baylor(with the Briles scandal, not much in the cupboard) and he’s 18-9. You can’t compare the 3 years before him with the roster he was left and the cheating that Briles was doing. I have no knowledge of the Temple situation but it is always a stepping stone program.

Possibly. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-panthe...-7-year-contract-to-matt-rhule-182422701.html

Wasn't he at Baylor? Shouldn't it probably be assumed that any Baylor coach has cheated or broken laws in some way? Seems to be the pattern there.
He took over for Briles, who was at the center of the slimefest.

I haven't been following the world of sports today and just saw Ruhle was fired. Came over here to see how fast the Ruhle-to-Nebraska theme would plant roots. Answer: Not long.

Take out the 1-11 year at Baylor(with the Briles scandal, not much in the cupboard) and he’s 18-9. You can’t compare the 3 years before him with the roster he was left and the cheating that Briles was doing. I have no knowledge of the Temple situation but it is always a stepping stone program.
18 and 9 is good but also, not a huge resume.

Nebraska just got burned on a guy we didn’t have very much résumé.

He benefitted greatly from the program briles built and from the program Al Golden built

I am not saying he is a bad hire. I’m just saying if you think he is a sure fire slam dunk I don’t agree. He is a guy who could be successful or could be just okay. He has never coached a 5th year senior he recruited. He has never coached a power 5 4th year senior he recruited.

I would say there is incomplete information. I wouldn’t be upset if my team hired him but I wouldn’t be over the moon either.

Take out the 1-11 year and Brewster is 14-19

Totally agree. Unless he loses 3 games the rest of the way…which I guess is possible

Take out the 7 national championship seasons for Saban, and he’s won zero. Does that make him a bad coach? They all count the same, you don’t get to pick and choose.

He gets $40 million as his termination buyout that diminishes to near zero if he takes a well-paying coaching job.
Why not just retire on that and his piggy bank filled with $ from his prior jobs?

He gets $40 million as his termination buyout that diminishes to near zero if he takes a well-paying coaching job.
Why not just retire on that and his piggy bank filled with $ from his prior jobs?
Coaches don’t want to stay out of coaching.
For coaches with huge buyouts, why not ask for a lower salary to start, which would bump way up in a few years if you’re successful? Instead you could ask for more $ for hiring top flight assistants.

Take out the 7 national championship seasons for Saban, and he’s won zero. Does that make him a bad coach? They all count the same, you don’t get to pick and choose.
Unless you call it year zero. 😜

I don't think that the Penn State job opens up for a few years. If Rhule is truly interested in it I don't think he take a job in the same conference.

The Rhule resume is not impressive to me. On paper it looks good with that last year at Baylor, but no wins vs top 25. It wouldn’t be a home run hire in my eyes.

It may be all NE can get though. I don't know if their options for coaches is as good as they hoped it would be.

The Rhule resume is not impressive to me. On paper it looks good with that last year at Baylor, but no wins vs top 25. It wouldn’t be a home run hire in my eyes.
Yeah he could be great but if you want to make a big splash or Rhule wants big money. He's still just a very good prospect type HC. There's nothing about his resume that seems like a really great choice / you should throw tons of money at.

Now on the other hand if he's not looking for insane / top money, dude seems like very good hire.

Top Bottom