Rumor: Fleck to be considered for UCLA job.

It will be impossible to know if I'm wrong unless someone discovers he is offered the job and doesn't take it.
Ah so you are not just wrong and a pessimist but you are chicken[bleep] too.

So if he is coach next year you will weasel out of eating crow by saying he was never offered. Classic bonin.

If people don't think he'd take that glamorous job if given the opportunity...
Glamorous job? UCLA has a name, in basketball and academics. In football? No. Their facilities are not good on campus. They play at the Rosebowl, which is a long ways from campus. Attendance is horrible, with 60k empty seats. It is not a glamorous job to most college football coaches.

I don't think UCLA can afford Fleck, UCLA is broke and in the red. Cool to play in the Rose Bowl, but the stadium is almost 20 miles from campus, plus I think their fans are more indifferent than here. They can't even fill Pauley Pavillion when they had their periodic runs in bathroom.

PJ would take it I believe. Whether people choose to believe it or not, he has tried to leave Minnesota several times now(Oregon twice, Tennessee, Nebraska) the other programs just weren’t interested. Minnesota doesn’t have NIL nor instate talent. Atleast UCLA offers tons of talent within a car ride from campus. Just listen to his statements this season expressing increasing frustration over lack of NIL. His Gucci wardrobe and persona would be a perfect fit in the superficial world of LA

I can't say whether he would take it (I'm 50/50 on it) because it is not a great job...but they likely won't offer him unless he is willing to leave for similar money. He isn't getting a raise.

And it is not a glamorous job.

I hope he is offered. If Fleck were to leave that would be because he didn’t think he could win here. That would be a disappointing viewpoint. And, that would be better for Minnesota as we need someone else to roll up their sleeves get to work then.

Glamorous job? UCLA has a name, in basketball and academics. In football? No. Their facilities are not good on campus. They play at the Rosebowl, which is a long ways from campus. Attendance is horrible, with 60k empty seats. It is not a glamorous job to most college football coaches.
Didn't they open a new football building not long ago? And averaged 47,000 fans. If we played in the Rose Bowl, we'd also have 60,000 empty seats.

let's take a look at UCLA football.
1 National Championship - 1954
19 Conference championships - last one in 1998.

from 1976-1995, under Terry Donahue, UCLA won 5 Conf titles. finished top 20 AP/Coaches poll 12 times. went 8-4-1 in Bowl Games

Under Bob Toledo, UCLA had back-to-back 10-2 seasons in 1997 and 1998, finishing #5 and #8 in final polls.

but, starting in 1999, only finished in top 25 AP/Coaches poll 4 times in 25 seasons. 3 10-win seasons (1 under Karl Dorrell, 2 under Jim Mora). 11 losing seasons in 25 years.

Historically, a Helmet school. but in recent history, an average to below-average P5 team.

A challenge for a coach - but an opportunity if that coach could find a way to win more consistently.

This is an all-time SON post finished with the wisdom of “an opportunity if that coach could find a way to win more consistently”. You’re describing nearly every job.

PJ would take it I believe. Whether people choose to believe it or not, he has tried to leave Minnesota several times now(Oregon twice, Tennessee, Nebraska) the other programs just weren’t interested. Minnesota doesn’t have NIL nor instate talent. Atleast UCLA offers tons of talent within a car ride from campus. Just listen to his statements this season expressing increasing frustration over lack of NIL. His Gucci wardrobe and persona would be a perfect fit in the superficial world of LA
I don't believe NIL for UCLA FB has been robust so I think that issues a wash.

Who knows what PJ values but comparing a number of factors:

NIL: Wash.

Weather: LA.

Pay: Wash.

COL: MN

Taxes: LA (CA income taxes are higher but overall tax burden CA is lower than MN)

Talent base: LA.

Plastic Surgeons: LA

Attendance: Wash.

Stadium: Wash.

Schtick fit: LA

Campus: Never been to UCLA campus so someone else will have to chime in.

Athletic Dept: MN

UCLA has been heavily criticized for being way behind the NIL curve

I can think of plenty of reasons for Fleck to stay at Minnesota.

I can also think of plenty of reasons for Fleck to take the UCLA job.

I expect we will all find out by Monday where this goes.

Flecks ego is not big enough for L.A. He stays here in the land of gullible.

If this is true good for Fleck.

UCLA is a better job and if Fleck is offered the job why wouldn’t he take it.

Fire up the Jamey Chadwell to the Gophers hot takes.

Last edited:

I said basically the same thing in another thread.

He probably looked ahead to 2024 and beyond in the B1G and determined that life would be rough, rough enough he might get fired, and he wanted to get ahead of it. It's easier in the long run to take a demotion on your own terms than it is to save your career after getting fired.

Plus, if he sticks around long enough at Ohio State and gets lucky, perhaps he becomes the heir aparrent for the HC job there if Day ever leaves or is ousted.

I don't think UCLA can afford Fleck, UCLA is broke and in the red. Cool to play in the Rose Bowl, but the stadium is almost 20 miles from campus, plus I think their fans are more indifferent than here. They can't even fill Pauley Pavillion when they had their periodic runs in bathroom.
What now?

UCLA isn't swimming in NIL either and may not even have as much as MN. LA football fans give their $$ to USC.

On paper, you'd think anyone would take the UCLA job over Minnesota. Weather alone would be a factor for me. Of course there were idiots around here who thought NDSU's coach was a fool to go work for USC because Fargo is such a more desirable place to live.

But something HAS to be up with the UCLA job. Why would someone leave a B1G HC job to take a coordinator position, albeit at a much bigger name program? There has to be something else going on there to make someone want to up and leave like that.
Maybe he was going to be fired?

Maybe he was “cutting corners” and thst was discovered internally before the NCAA caught them?

There are a plethora of possibilities.

You got any credible sources for that claim? Or just rumors that he was being considered as a candidate?

From "row the boat" to "steer the yacht".

I still want someone to explain why UCLA is a better job besides the weather?
Better recruiting area for starters.

Minnesota is a bottom 1/3 of the conference job. UCLA is easily a tier above the Gopher job.

Better recruiting area for starters.

Minnesota is a bottom 1/3 of the conference job. UCLA is easily a tier above the Gopher job.

And significantly more competition for those recruits not only in state, but nation wide. UCLA has recruited similarly to Wisconsin/Iowa during the Kelly era, it's only slightly better than the Gophers.

I disagree on the tiers, in the B1G UCLA is a comparable job to MN. I think these Pac 12 teams are going to struggle more than people think in the B1G, similar to Nebraska. UCLA doesn't have a facility or financial advantage over MN.

I don't believe NIL for UCLA FB has been robust so I think that issues a wash.

Who knows what PJ values but comparing a number of factors:

Campus: Never been to UCLA campus so someone else will have to chime in.
UCLA is a gorgeous campus, much nicer than the U's. Westwood has a cool college town vibe, and the campus is nestled at the edge of Brentwood, so the surrounding neighborhood is kinda nice, too.

Top Bottom