Royce White Leaving the U per Myron

Actually you can have it both ways. Its called doing what the coach has asked of you, stay out the public eye, dont break any laws no matter how small and in due time Im sure Tubby would lovee to have him play.

Dont make any mistake about what is going on here. I would say Tubby and almost all of people on gopherhole want Royce to play for the Gophers. But at what cost is the question? Is it too hard to keep your mouth shut and man up for your transgressions?

I dont think anybody but Royce and Tubby knows what was asked of him. But Im going to trust Tubby on making the right decision. Because he has more experience in situations like this than than everyone who commented on here combined and that is what he gets paid a lot of money to do.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'll take Tubby's judgment over Royce's supposed status as a victim any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I have to admit, <i><b>baller</b></i>, your "logic" is flawless. Go ahead, though, and show us the link to where I say his 3.4 is meaningless, just so we're sure.

Okay... i'm confused... I'm not saying that your the one discrediting the 3.4... also... me saying 'we' didn't mean me included because I think he deserves just as much credit with a 3.4 gpa as someone in carlson with a 3.4 gpa... it's ridiculous that some people are saying that he doesn't deserve credit for that...

Some of you people major in the minors....Lets just say that the kid may or may not be up to you'alls standards as far as course load or attitude...bottom line is the White has a 3.3333 GPA, can play basketball and is qualified and under scholorship...I want him to PLAY BASKETBALL...not hang out at my house,come over for dinner,date by sister,etc, so keep your smug and arrogant comments to yourself and focus on hoops. You must be totally insecure maybe you have little mans syndrome... and you know that I know who you are!

CFIELD, keep up the good posts.....

Some of you people major in the minors....Lets just say that the kid may or may not be up to you'alls standards as far as course load or attitude...bottom line is the White has a 3.3333 GPA, can play basketball and is qualified and under scholorship...I want him to PLAY BASKETBALL...not hang out at my house,come over for dinner,date by sister,etc, so keep your smug and arrogant comments to yourself and focus on hoops. You must be totally insecure maybe you have little mans syndrome... and you know that I know who you are!

CFIELD, keep up the good posts.....

Thanks millions2spare...

He had a 3.4... not a 3.3333....

I agree though... he's a great asset to the team *basketball-wise* and I think the team could use a lot of help and his services would be of great help!

I take Tubby to be one on the BEST coaches in college basketball and agree with whatever he's doing/done... so enough with the "blame tubby" "this season's wasted... monson would've done better"... All in all, we'll see if Royce actually leaves... I have class with him tomorrow at 2:30 so we'll see if he's there... I hope he is and I hope his decision is to stay and that he's just diverting attention away again because he knows that he might not be able to play this year... but regardless, arguing over his personality (without knowing him like most people here are doing) is just wrong...

After reading this entire thread and reading the article in the trib I still have a hard time taking a side in this whole fiasco...On one hand I feel like RW acted like an immature jerk, but he's a 19 year old kid...I can guarentee everyone on this board acted like an idiot at 19.

I love and trust Tubby but I feel like he and Joel Maturi have handled this situation very poorly and it seems like the lack of communication has been atrocious at best. If it's true he had a 3.3 GPA and after 3 months all the UMPD (whom I personally can't stand) could charge him with is a bogus trespassing charge then I feel like he should've had the chance to see the court. With the way the U has handled the RW situation and Trevor situation I am worried that potential recruits may be scared away, thinking that the U won't have their back if they get in trouble.

One other problem I have is if I/someone writes a critical statement about a players on court performance we get skewerd by many members, but these members have no problem calling RW a thug and criticizing his character when they don't know the whole story....

HEY Facts34---
I coached AAU ball---practice 3 days a week, tournaments almost every weekend. These kids work hard! Especially in the Elite class which WHite Played in since 4th grade. He admitted Guilt in the MOA incident. No excuses. Regarding the J-Walking--I mean tresspass charge- that is crap. Was anyone else in his group charged? Look--JOEM and Tubby need to explain how a kid can have a 3.33 GPA, be at practice and not play. It is time to either lay out the case and let the kid play or cut the cord.

Handing out towels in the mens locker room doesn't qualify you as a "coach". Comparing j walking and what White did is like comparing MN weather and Hawaii. Try and figure out what white was doing going into 3 dorm rooms. Just stopping to say hi? A laptop was stolen out of one of the rooms, the other 2 rooms maybe just lucky?

White pled not guilty today because his lawyer didn't work out a sweetheart deal for him. White was ready to plead guilty to some other petty charge. Wait for the trial and perhaps we will see that the Police have a little better case then you think. "The first to talk is always the first to walk." Now we will see who White's friends are.

HEY R07--U must be a troll,,,,

You must also have never lived on campus.... Did he steal a laptop? Was he charged with that today? Were his other friends charged with tresspass too or did they single out Royce? HMMMM.....By the way, Tresspass in a dorm is like being arrested for J-Walking...sorrry to deflate your legal mind. Yes Freshman hang out all the time in dorms.

I really don't care that Royce had a 3.375.

Q: Why discredit his GPA?
A: Why use his GPA as evidence that he has "worked hard"?

There are prerequisites to any major and the advisers wouldn't ever let you take as weak a course load as you just suggested.

Advisers don't control what you should take. They recommend what you should take.

And, BTW. For undergrad I was a CSci major in IT. One quarter of my junior year, I couldn't get any courses that I really needed, so here's what I ended up with:
- Intro to Theater - 4 credits
- Beginning Acting for Non-Theater Majors - 4 credits
- Principles of Financial Accounting - 4 credits
- Badminton - 1 credit
- Basketball - 1 credit

Weak courseload? You betcha!

I really don't care that Royce had a 3.375.

Q: Why discredit his GPA?
A: Why use his GPA as evidence that he has "worked hard"?

Questioner : cfield23
Answerer: brucekaupa

Q: Why come to GH to post negatively on others?
A: Nothing better to do.

Q: Why not use his GPA as evidence that he has "worked hard"?
A: No one wants to give him credit.

Q: Would you say Hoffarber's worked hard?
A: Yes

Q: Doesn't Hoffarber have around a 3.5 GPA?
A: Yes

Q: What's the difference?
A: Nothing... oops... I have no argument now.

He is QUALIFIED!.......Why do you care what his course load is? That has nothing to do with this. You are trying to discredit the kid. I am saying, he is a great basketball player, on scholorship, and is qualified to play. So what is the hold up? Was he charged with Theft? People in this country can not be charged and convicted on circumstancial evidence or guilt by association. Some of you folks equate this kid with Charlie manson....he is a 19 yr old kid....lets play some basketball!.......Jeeeze

Advisers don't control what you should take. They recommend what you should take.

And, BTW. For undergrad I was a CSci major in IT. One quarter of my junior year, I couldn't get any courses that I really needed, so here's what I ended up with:
- Intro to Theater - 4 credits
- Beginning Acting for Non-Theater Majors - 4 credits
- Principles of Financial Accounting - 4 credits
- Badminton - 1 credit
- Basketball - 1 credit

Weak courseload? You betcha!

I'm aware what advisers do... however I'm sure the classes taken by basketball players are closely monitored by different advisers than you and I had...

My Public Speaking teacher said this semester that "members of the basketball team really do well in her class because they've got great guidance as apposed to some other sports"...

Royce said 2 weeks ago that the whole team has to do 10 hrs per week of study hall now... Academics are really important to Tubby, so I'm sure he doesn't allow them to fill their schedule with "joke" classes.

He is QUALIFIED!.......Why do you care what his course load is? That has nothing to do with this. You are trying to discredit the kid. I am saying, he is a great basketball player, on scholorship, and is qualified to play. So what is the hold up? Was he charged with Theft? People in this country can not be charged and convicted on circumstancial evidence or guilt by association. Some of you folks equate this kid with Charlie manson....he is a 19 yr old kid....lets play some basketball!.......Jeeeze

Well stated!

He did NOT steal the laptop!... The police had 3 months and couldn't find it... INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.... wasn't found guilty... police charged him with misdemeanors... stupid charge because (especially in Territorial Hall) people see if others' doors are unlocked... and if they are... they walk in for conversation... that's how it is... you don't want company... lock your door... simple... if the police charged everyone with what they charged Royce (misdemeanor for trespass)... they would have to hand out around 1000 trespass misdemeanors every day!!!!!!!

When Royce says he doesn't feel safe he may mean that he does not feel certain that the UMPD will not continue making allegations against him that it can not prove.

In any case, this is another distraction this team did not need.

When Royce says he doesn't feel safe he may mean that he does not feel certain that the UMPD will not continue making allegations against him that it can not prove.

In any case, this is another distraction this team did not need.

I think that's exactly what he meant... and I feel where he's coming from... I'd feel the same way... wouldn't you?

Well stated!

He did NOT steal the laptop!... The police had 3 months and couldn't find it... INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.... wasn't found guilty... police charged him with misdemeanors... stupid charge because (especially in Territorial Hall) people see if others' doors are unlocked... and if they are... they walk in for conversation... that's how it is... you don't want company... lock your door... simple... if the police charged everyone with what they charged Royce (misdemeanor for trespass)... they would have to hand out around 1000 trespass misdemeanors every day!!!!!!!

I'm neither crediting nor discrediting him. I'm simply responding to those who think a freshman getting a 3.349 == a freshman who's working hard. GPA is not an indicator of how hard you are working.

I think that's exactly what he meant... and I feel where he's coming from... I'd feel the same way... wouldn't you?

Yes.

Especially if I had a rep after assaulting a mall cop and getting kicked out of 2 dorms.

Yes.

Especially if I had a rep after assaulting a mall cop and getting kicked out of 2 dorms.

Right... previous things he did were stupid/wrong/etc... but now it's like the Salem Witch-Trials where they want to charge him with anything they can....

I have class with him tomorrow at 2:30 so we'll see if he's there.

cfield - start a thread tomorrow with a full report. That could be interesting. Go paparazzi on it - might be your only chance!

In order to set the record straight - I have full respect for any freshman achieving a 3.4 in his first semester, no matter the class load difficulty, never said anything to the contrary.

My problem with Royce is that he has made several stupid moves over the past couple years, including getting suspended from his full-ride D1 basketball team. He was given parameters for return - maybe some gray, maybe some specific - but obviously one was that the "laptop" deal needed to be "closed." Well, it's still open. Add to that the fact that he can't seem to shut his mouth when I think it is quite obvious that is what OTS would want makes me think, despite his probably well-deserved 3.4, he is acting like an idiot.

And yep, many 19 year olds act like idiots. But that doesn't mean I need to feel sorry for him or want the rules bent because he happens to hold the keys to our NCAA chances. Sucks for us, sucks for his teammates, but, most of all, it sucks for Royce. But he's got nobody to blame but himself. He needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut and be patient. Fair or not, this is/was his only path to see the floor for the Gophers.

cfield - start a thread tomorrow with a full report. That could be interesting. Go paparazzi on it - might be your only chance!

In order to set the record straight - I have full respect for any freshman achieving a 3.4 in his first semester, no matter the class load difficulty, never said anything to the contrary.

My problem with Royce is that he has made several stupid moves over the past couple years, including getting suspended from his full-ride D1 basketball team. He was given parameters for return - maybe some gray, maybe some specific - but obviously one was that the "laptop" deal needed to be "closed." Well, it's still open. Add to that the fact that he can't seem to shut his mouth when I think it is quite obvious that is what OTS would want makes me think, despite his probably well-deserved 3.4, he is acting like an idiot.

And yep, many 19 year olds act like idiots. But that doesn't mean I need to feel sorry for him or want the rules bent because he happens to hold the keys to our NCAA chances. Sucks for us, sucks for his teammates, but, most of all, it sucks for Royce. But he's got nobody to blame but himself. He needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut and be patient. Fair or not, this is/was his only path to see the floor for the Gophers.

I am not the paparazzi and I will not report like one... However, I'll see if he's there tomorrow...

I agree with everything you said there... look at this...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14501

Regardless of Royce's legal situation...

I hold to the fact that playing him now, with the season edging over the rim of the toilet bowl, is less important than saving a season of eligibility.

Tubby should convince him that starting next year with 4 years left is the smartest thing to do.

Regardless of Royce's legal situation...

I hold to the fact that playing him now, with the season edging over the rim of the toilet bowl, is less important than saving a season of eligibility.

Tubby should convince him that starting next year with 4 years left is the smartest thing to do.

I agree... but I'm not convinced that he's the type of guy that stays all 4 years... That being said... why not play him for the rest of the season and the next 3 years... if he stays that long???

jake, you and Bruce just need to drop the gloves now...

I am a volunteer Sherif and we don't charge people unless we have evidence to support the charge. It is obvious the campus security did not have evidence for the laptop theft so they used the 3 misdemeanor charges. Apparently White would not rat out his buddies who likely stole the laptop thus he chose to go down in these charges. His statements that he is afraid of campus security is bogus and makes him look like a fool or else it is an attempt to play some form of "race" card. Soon Sharpton will come strolling in to take up Whites case. I think he should play but he is a misguided kid who likely will get into trouble again.

I was joking about the paparazzi. I am very interested to see if he attends class.

Haha alright... He wasn't in class all last week (tues-fri)... so idk whether he'll be there or not... that makes me think he's serious this time... but by the video and his new quotes, i'm still not convinced...

until tomorrow .... :rolleyes:

Full disclosure: I thought Tubby should've dropped Royce from the team after the shoplifting/mall cop assault...and I'm very surprised he didn't.

Top Bottom