Royce Charged

people who are flipping out over this are clearly uneducated and never went to college, because during the first couple of months everyone knows that random people end up in your dorm room all the time and NO ONE BATS AN EYE.

This is very true. If you were ever a freshman in college, you'd know that introducing yourself to random people, and yes, even girls (gasp) is very normal. From the accounts I read in the "Star and TRibune", they asked him to leave and he did.

"One woman told police she recognized White as one of the men who walked into her room earlier and introduced himself. She said she asked White and his friends to leave and they did." (Strib)

I agree that he shouldn't be in a place he's not allowed. But really, not a huge deal. Time to move on. Myron's title is ridiculous too " When it rains it pours" come on.

It might not be PC but my guess is that these women, young, 18 year old freshman, may have been a little intimidated by this behavoir. He and his buddies were cruising for chics, plain and simple; they took exception to it.

I've said it before but this stuff is very common. My freshman dorm (Hartford) was teeming with illegal activity including tresspassing, drug dealing, assault and worse. People were always coming into our apartment. One guy (now an active jazz mucision), came in, starting eating our food and watching TV when no one else was there!

You think Shooter is a strong source?

Besides our local newspaper, what kind of "strong source" can you have living in CA?

Tubby will give Andy interview's about Royce and Trevor, he certainly wouldn't do that for Myron. When Marcus has a story he actually talks to Royce White. Myron has to put calls in to everybody including Royce's Grandpa.

I think the pecking order is clear.

Thank-God that the Statute of Limitations has run on my activities during my freshman year of college. Trespassing? Seems he left when he was asked to....what a crock of crap.:mad:

Thank-God that the Statute of Limitations has run on my activities during my freshman year of college. Trespassing? Seems he left when he was asked to....what a crock of crap.:mad:

Problem is he was banned from being there in the first place. Wonder why that is??

I guess I should have pressed charges against random people that stumbled into my room freshman year?

You may have done just that if the UMPD had come around later and asked if you wanted to press charges against a specific individual that plays basketball.

It is way to obvious how this went down. It would be interesting to know how many other trespass charges were issued that night.

You may have done just that if the UMPD had come around later and asked if you wanted to press charges against a specific individual that plays basketball.

It is way to obvious how this went down. It would be interesting to know how many other trespass charges were issued that night.

And the police probably told them he was the one who stole the laptop.

I had a grad assist job as a hall director and I talked it over w/a friend who worked in res. life for years. How do I read this?
My interpretation: Royce took the laptop. Everyone knows he took it, and this is what he can be charged with. Or he would be playing. He's not been suspended because of these charges. He's been suspended from the team for what he did. The dorms and the BB team are not a court of law.

Pretty sure i have read it on here and seen it linked to a legitimate source more than a few times. But i will try to find this link to put my mind at peace.

He was banned from a dorm he lived in, not the dorm he allegedly trespassed.

Maturi needs grow a pair. Sit Tubby down and let him know the type of kids he has been bringing into the program is no longer going to be tolerated. The program is becoming a joke.

why is the program a joke?

why dont you give us examples of major universities that have not gone through legal issues with some of their players!

you must be someone that dislikes hopkins and tries to justify it by attacking a young man who has made mistakes.

people make mistakes! some big and some small but i believe what has happened to royce is unfortunate but the kid deserves a chance to turn it around. if we give up on him what does that fix? we could put royce into the streets so he can possibly get worse, or we can push him to succeed and get an education. same goes with trevor! get over it and let's wait to pass judgement on an 18 year old kid!

why is the program a joke?

why dont you give us examples of major universities that have not gone through legal issues with some of their players!

Stanford
Arizona
Indiana
Penn State
Purdue

I dont know many who have had lmore legal issues than the Gophs the past year...Tenn and MSU for starters, and there may be more...

Basically he was banned for playing music too loud on many occasions.

If Tubby or Maturi thought there was a chance Royce took the laptop, he would of been gone a long time ago. The more they talked to UMPD, the more they realized what a joke it was. Royce will be on the court before too long.

Basically he was banned for playing music too loud on many occasions.

If Tubby or Maturi thought there was a chance Royce took the laptop, he would of been gone a long time ago. The more they talked to UMPD, the more they realized what a joke it was. Royce will be on the court before too long.

Coming from Johnny, I am really happy to hear this.

As a former prosecutor (now retired), let me state that the misdemeanor trespassing charges are less than trivial. The treatment that Mr. White has received by our justice system is an outrage. It sure looks to these old eyes like the UMPD badly wanted to convict Royce of theft, knew it didn't have the evidence, and dragged the investigation out to punish him anyway, knowing that his suspension was a form of punishment in itself. People everywhere, not just Gopher BB fans, should be outraged by this. The UMPD should be investigated for it's mis-handling of this matter. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Mr. White has already been punished more than would be appropriate for two misdemeanor trespassing convictions (and he hasn't been convicted, only charged). It is time to let the young man play.

I don't post much, and I'm not a Royce appologist, but this is so appalling that I had to speak up.

I guess any decent sports program reflects poorly on universities. Do you really think that stuff like this doesn't happen everywhere? Quit your biitching, Royce and Trevor haven't even been reinstated.

Royce has one misdemeanor and no other issues. Keep your head buried in the sand. The problems are not only with one player. The problems have become systemic. This reflects poorly on the program and the university. It is becoming clear that winning is more important to Tubby than doing the right thing. Sad.

Give me a break. Royce isn't some random rapist who broke into the dorm or something. He went into a dorm that he wasn't supposed to at the school that he attends. Big deal. That's an awful comparison.

So trespassing is no big deal? I sure don't want strange people coming into my apartment or dorm room uninvited, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Wow, did you just randomly pick those and think that people wouldn't call bs?

Stanford
Arizona
Indiana
Penn State
Purdue

I dont know many who have had lmore legal issues than the Gophs the past year...Tenn and MSU for starters, and there may be more...

Are trepassing charges pressed by the police are do the occupants of the rooms have to say they want charges filed and sign a complaint?

Very nice to hear this was nothing serious, sounds way overblown. Anyone who has attended college and is social has done what he is charged with, I did. I'm sure he stands out, a rather tall kid, I am 6' 2'. I didn't exactly walk into someones room I didn't know, but I peered in the doorway, and that may be all he really did as well. If that's all he did then this thing is a real joke.

Are trepassing charges pressed by the police are do the occupants of the rooms have to say they want charges filed and sign a complaint?

I think* I understand what you're asking. No, the people in the rooms (i.e., witnesses) would not need to say they want charges filed, but they are witnesses with their witness accounts captured in a police report. If that did not exist, there would not be charges being brought forth at this stage.

Disagreement is one thing, insinuating that our program is an asylum is moronic. Tubby's been an upstanding guy his entire career.

Quit calling anyone who disagrees with you a troll or I will have to escalate this matter to higher authorities. You remember the days of Bronco (He's gone now)? We will be saying "remember the days of Showing Goldy Love". What you suffer from is "New Blogger Derangement Syndrome (NBDS) caused when your comfort zone becomes invaded, power structure has become threatened, and your ideas challenged and possibly even changed. Its better to accept the change and figure out how to survive in this new environment that is GH or to do other things with your time then calling everyone a troll.

If it gets too out of hand I will have to escalate this up to the campus police then nothing will happen....

As a former prosecutor (now retired), let me state that the misdemeanor trespassing charges are less than trivial. The treatment that Mr. White has received by our justice system is an outrage. It sure looks to these old eyes like the UMPD badly wanted to convict Royce of theft, knew it didn't have the evidence, and dragged the investigation out to punish him anyway, knowing that his suspension was a form of punishment in itself. People everywhere, not just Gopher BB fans, should be outraged by this. The UMPD should be investigated for it's mis-handling of this matter. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Mr. White has already been punished more than would be appropriate for two misdemeanor trespassing convictions (and he hasn't been convicted, only charged). It is time to let the young man play.

I don't post much, and I'm not a Royce appologist, but this is so appalling that I had to speak up.

Thanks for the expert opinion and shedding some light on this.

Let me run this scenario for your opinion, (I think it matches with what you concluded) :
0. White and friends enter this dorm to meet girls, find parties, or possibly steal some stuff including laptops
1. Suppose A Laptop was stolen from this girls room at the time these people entered her room uninvited (So campus police knows someone took it from this group of people)
2. The only person identified for obvious reasons was White (He's Famous)
3. The police interrogate White and he does not talk
4. Being pissed he won't talk, trying to bring justice to this girl and find the laptop, the campus police think if they put pressure on White, he will talk, which he does not.
5. Campus police are stuck pinning this on White as the story blows up and the story gets bigger then they expected but they also know he stole the laptop, knows who did, or was part of a diversion that was used to steal the laptop
6. White gets suspended
7. Trying to save "face" the Campus police keep pressuring White and can only come up with these 3 trespassing charges. (They likely feel justified because he stole the laptop, knows who did, or was part of a diversion that was used to steal the laptop).

- Do you think this is a fair assessment of the situation?

So, uh, what can we do about getting an investigation started on UMPD's handling of this debacle? 4 months for 3 counts of trespassing in a freshman dorm where random kids are in and out randomly? sounds like they were holding him purposely to inflict much more punishment than the only charges they could get away with.

p.s. the whole stolen laptop, iirc she got the laptop back that weekend. possible a friend borrowed it without asking, she calls police, police bumble around, leave, friend returns with laptop, she goes..oh *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

honestly im 100% convinced that the dorms have hallway cams so seeing these tapes of the hallway after the theft would have cleared this up in 2 days, tops. reported time of theft til when occupant returned > tape time > people entering/leaving room around then > bam, nailed.

Top Bottom