Royce Charged

Myron Tweet

Royce White has been charged with two counts of misdemeanor trespassing related to laptop theft investigation.

Before you post things make sure the facts are correct. He has 3 counts according to the Star and TRibune.

mikeeeee S...look yourself in the mirror before you condemn a kid.We are talking about tressssssspessssing! The MOA incident is done. You are a very judgemental and I would even suspect have issues with race. I would say, this kid deserves a chance to play.

Let royce play

I think the fact that the investigation was so long and he wasn't charged with worth shows that the UMPD didn't have any other options. If he was slapped with a trespassing charge the week after the incident, it would be easier to argue that he got off because of his high profile status.

It is obvious the police believe he is guilty of the theft. They were unable to obtain enough solid evidence to charge him with the theft. He was charged with what they believe can be proven.

So trespassing is no big deal? I sure don't want strange people coming into my apartment or dorm room uninvited, but I guess I'm in the minority.

It is obvious the police believe he is guilty of the theft. They were unable to obtain enough solid evidence to charge him with the theft. He was charged with what they believe can be proven.
That's generally how the American justice system works. :eek:

Of course, you may prefer a country where people are charged and found guilty with things that can't be proven?

That is not right at all. The police do NOT believe Royce stole the laptop. That has been clear from nearly the beginning. What it appears they are doing is trying to shake him down to have him flip on a buddy or two whom the cops think MAY have taken the computer (which was returned a day, maybe two days later, btw). Royce has not been a "suspect" in the actual theft from almost the beginning. He was removed from their internal "suspect" list long ago and that's why Tubby & Company have been getting frustrated with the slowness of this. They were apparently informed early on that Royce was not suspected of the actual theft.

The cops lone "tool" in the shakedown was knowing Tubby wasn't playing Royce and that Royce wanted to play. They felt they might get him to roll on a couple of his friends who the police aren't even sure took the computer. Now, word gets out that Tubby has Royce practicing and likely will be playing soon, and lo and behold, the cops file the trespassing charges because they know they no longer have the hammer of the suspension. They're trying to save face and it is a joke, really.

Now, that said, Royce absolutely has some maturing to do. Never should have been in the dorm in the first place. Hopefully, this puts him on the right path. Maybe getting to actually play will motivate him to fly right. If not, he is obviously out of chances.

How about suspending him for road games or not at all like UW? BTW, check Samthebutcher's post history, very evident he's a badger fan so just ignore...

I dont feel sorry for him

if he was ordered to stay out of the dorm. After all the trouble he was in he should know to keep his nose clean. Who does he think he is? If he wasnt ordered to stay out of the dorm then its weak. I have a feeling there is more than just walking around a dorm. He needed this wake up call in my opinion. I get the feeling he thinks the law is not meant for him.

Before you post things make sure the facts are correct. He has 3 counts according to the Star and TRibune.

Are you calling me out? Or Myron? I just copy and pasted a "tweet" by Myron minutes after he posted it. I made no claims to its validity.

I'm calling you out to the extent of you should post the story from the paper. Some of your "facts" are wrong. Not a big deal except you have some lug heads in here doing research thinking they are Perry Mason thus you wasted their time.

"Court documents: White entered a dorm room "uninvited" and told female occupant: "Hey, I'm Royce. Do you know who I am?""

Haha, he played the "Don't you know who I am?" card

It's about frickin time! Even if its a trumped up charge.How sad can the umpd be?Let this poor kid do what he does best , which is to entertain us. But now let him entertain us ON the court.

That is not right at all. The police do NOT believe Royce stole the laptop. That has been clear from nearly the beginning. What it appears they are doing is trying to shake him down to have him flip on a buddy or two whom the cops think MAY have taken the computer (which was returned a day, maybe two days later, btw). Royce has not been a "suspect" in the actual theft from almost the beginning. He was removed from their internal "suspect" list long ago and that's why Tubby & Company have been getting frustrated with the slowness of this. They were apparently informed early on that Royce was not suspected of the actual theft.

The cops lone "tool" in the shakedown was knowing Tubby wasn't playing Royce and that Royce wanted to play. They felt they might get him to roll on a couple of his friends who the police aren't even sure took the computer. Now, word gets out that Tubby has Royce practicing and likely will be playing soon, and lo and behold, the cops file the trespassing charges because they know they no longer have the hammer of the suspension. They're trying to save face and it is a joke, really.

Now, that said, Royce absolutely has some maturing to do. Never should have been in the dorm in the first place. Hopefully, this puts him on the right path. Maybe getting to actually play will motivate him to fly right. If not, he is obviously out of chances.

Most intelligent, well thought out and informed post I've read on here in a bit. The UMPD were using Royce as a chess piece, not guilty of the theft. He was guilty of idiocy -- when you aren't supposed to be in the dorm, don't enter the dorm. Easy as that.

I hope this was the kick in the pants he needed to motivate himself.

I'm calling you out to the extent of you should post the story from the paper. Some of your "facts" are wrong. Not a big deal except you have some lug heads in here doing research thinking they are Perry Mason thus you wasted their time.

I posted the first information I had at the time. I accessed the StarTribune web site at that time and Myron had not yet posted a story. Had a story been posted I would have provided a link. Apparently, between the time he "tweeted" and the time he posted the Strib story, he discovered a third charge existed. You then started a new thread with the link and the third charge information. If it had been me, I would have just added to the current thread.

Dude, go back to post on the Bucky sites. Is your life so boring?

I posted the first information I had at the time. I accessed the StarTribune web site at that time and Myron had not yet posted a story. Had a story been posted I would have provided a link. Apparently, between the time he "tweeted" and the time he posted the Strib story, he discovered a third charge existed. You then started a new thread with the link and the third charge information. If it had been me, I would have just added to the current thread.

Not a big deal. And that is what I should have done.

Gophers' White charged in laptop case

By ROCHELLE OLSON and MYRON P. MEDCALF, Star Tribune
Last update: January 22, 2010 - 1:46 PM

Print this story
E-mail this story
Save to del.icio.us
Share on Facebook
Share on Digg
Follow Myron on Twitter
Related Content
NCAA reviewing Gophers' request for waiver on Nolen
More from Sports
Henin is exception to comebacks rule
Isner, Roddick only US men left at Aussie Open
Ski federation launches safety research project
Major league manager Bobby Bragan dies at 92
Harvin still out; Edwards, Williams practice
Suspended Gophers basketball player Royce White has been charged with three misdemeanor counts of trespassing related to what had been described as the theft of a laptop computer, his lawyer said Friday.

F. Clayton Tyler said he is hoping to move up White's court date for the alleged trespassing. He said the date is a few weeks away.

White began practicing with the team this week, but has been barred from playing in games. When asked Friday morning if White would play in Minnesota's game Saturday against Michigan State, coach Tubby Smith said: "No.''

The laptop incident had been hanging over White's head and the charges appear to be significantly lighter than what he could have faced. "It's a far cry from a felony for stealing a computer," Tyler said.

He said the charges relate to him being in a dorm room when he was not welcome.

Tyler said White was charged by the city attorney's office.

In December, White pled guilty to theft and disorderly conduct from an October incident at the Mall of America. White told the Star Tribune that he expected to serve a two-game suspension for that incident, but after the laptop case he was suspended indefinitely.

White received a stayed sentence in the Mall of America case, meaning he serves no time and his record will be cleared provided he does not get into any similar trouble in the next year.

Associate Bloomington city attorney Erica Glassberg said Friday that being charged in the latest incident will not be a probation violation because it occurred before the plea in the Mall of America incident, and everyone was aware of it at the time he entered his plea in that case.

White has maintained that he was innocent in the laptop incident.

How about suspending him for road games or not at all like UW? BTW, check Samthebutcher's post history, very evident he's a badger fan so just ignore...

You mean like Diamond Taylor and Jeremy Glover? Even the guy you refer to (Lance Smith) was kicked out off the team eventually. But I guess not everyone can be as harsh as UM was on Tinsley and Carter.

Quote from the Strib article:

"He said the charges relate to him being in a dorm room when he was not welcome."

Is this a case where he simply was at fault for being in a dorm he was not supposed to be in or was he in a room that he had been asked to leave by the person whose room it was?

If it was the latter and especially if it was a female student I would think this would be a more serious issue than just being in the dorm.

I am not an attorney and I have no information so I am just asking.

Oh goody!!! The Badger fans are back to tell us how morally bankrupt we are. This should be entertaining. :clap:

PP story

University of Minnesota freshman basketball player Royce White was charged with three counts of misdemeanor trespass today by the Minneapolis city attorney's office. He faces a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for each count.
White, who was allowed to return to practice with the Gophers this week despite remaining on indefinite suspension, was the suspect in a stolen laptop case on campus, but was not charged with theft.
It is the second time White will face misdemeanor charges this season. The former Hopkins High School standout pleaded guilty to shoplifting and fifth-degree assault for an Oct. 13 incident at Macy's at Mall of America.
On the night the laptop was stolen at Territorial Hall on Nov. 7, White was among a group of males identified by witnesses as entering dorm rooms without permission, according to a complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court.
White, who never lived in Territorial Hall, told University Police investigators that he was in the dormitory on the date of the incident. White said he goes there to introduce himself and meet new people, according to the complaint. One witness told police that she was in her dorm room when a group of males entered at 8 p.m. without knocking and closed the door. One of the males said, "Hey, I'm Royce. Do you know who I am?" The witness then asked them all to leave, according to the complaint. A friend of that witness told police she noticed the same group of males trying other
door handles in the dormitory hallway that night.

Another witness said she and her roommate were in their dorm room that night when two people entered, according to the complaint, one she immediately recognized as White. She said White asked what was going on and inquired about a party before eventually realizing he wasn't welcome and left.
Another witness told police that she also was with her roommate that night when White stepped into their room and asked, "Hey, guys, what are you doing?" The witness said she recognized White, according to the complaint, because three weeks prior he had introduced himself, walked into her room and sat on her futon. She then asked him to leave, according to the complaint.
White has not played for the Gophers this season while under suspension. This week, Gophers coach Tubby Smith allowed him to return to practice because he was handling himself well and succeeding in school. Earlier today, Smith had said White would not play Saturday against Michigan State.

Not sure why so many people still think this is an issue of him entering the dorm itself.. White has freely admitted that he did that 'every weekend'.

The issue is that he went into the private rooms of three individuals without permission.

PP story

University of Minnesota freshman basketball player Royce White was charged with three counts of misdemeanor trespass today by the Minneapolis city attorney's office. He faces a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for each count.
White, who was allowed to return to practice with the Gophers this week despite remaining on indefinite suspension, was the suspect in a stolen laptop case on campus, but was not charged with theft.
It is the second time White will face misdemeanor charges this season. The former Hopkins High School standout pleaded guilty to shoplifting and fifth-degree assault for an Oct. 13 incident at Macy's at Mall of America.
On the night the laptop was stolen at Territorial Hall on Nov. 7, White was among a group of males identified by witnesses as entering dorm rooms without permission, according to a complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court.
White, who never lived in Territorial Hall, told University Police investigators that he was in the dormitory on the date of the incident. White said he goes there to introduce himself and meet new people, according to the complaint. One witness told police that she was in her dorm room when a group of males entered at 8 p.m. without knocking and closed the door. One of the males said, "Hey, I'm Royce. Do you know who I am?" The witness then asked them all to leave, according to the complaint. A friend of that witness told police she noticed the same group of males trying other
door handles in the dormitory hallway that night.

Another witness said she and her roommate were in their dorm room that night when two people entered, according to the complaint, one she immediately recognized as White. She said White asked what was going on and inquired about a party before eventually realizing he wasn't welcome and left.
Another witness told police that she also was with her roommate that night when White stepped into their room and asked, "Hey, guys, what are you doing?" The witness said she recognized White, according to the complaint, because three weeks prior he had introduced himself, walked into her room and sat on her futon. She then asked him to leave, according to the complaint.
White has not played for the Gophers this season while under suspension. This week, Gophers coach Tubby Smith allowed him to return to practice because he was handling himself well and succeeding in school. Earlier today, Smith had said White would not play Saturday against Michigan State.

This is what I was asking about in a post I made a few minutes ago at the end of the thread. Seems to me that if he was in a room uninvited and asked to leave(can't tell if he did leave in each instance) that this would be a different issue than just being in a dorm where he wasn't supposed to be.

Not an attorney, just curious.

I guess I should have pressed charges against random people that stumbled into my room freshman year?

people who are flipping out over this are clearly uneducated and never went to college, because during the first couple of months everyone knows that random people end up in your dorm room all the time and NO ONE BATS AN EYE.

I got a misdemeanor by cutting the parking lot with my moped...kick me out of school

Top Bottom