Roster/Position Breakdown for Next Season

Reaction score
Maybe look something like this at this point? Tarik is probably the biggest stretch, but I'll include him anyway.

Guards-
Dre Hollins, JR. (Starter)
Austin Hollins, SR. (Starter)
Joe Coleman, JR. (Starter)
Mav Ahanmisi, SR.
Malik Smith, SR.
Wally Ellenson, Soph.
Cameron Forte, Soph.
WO Kendal Shell, Jr.

Forwards-
Tarik Black, SR. (Starter)
Charles Buggs, FR.
Rakeem Buckles, SR.
Oto Osenieks, JR.
WO Chris Halvorsen, SR.

Center-
Elliott Eliason, JR. (starter)
Mo Walker, JR.

I like how that team looks! Will look better with Tyus, Reid, and Rashad!

This thread will be bookmarked for next year, and we will see how you did.

Even without any new faces assuming everyone comes back there is enough there to have a solid starting 5 with a few decent options on the bench. However as it sets up right now it is going to be a small fast team as opposed to a big physical team. Given the style Pitino says he wants to run this may actually be a good thing but could be some issues on the rebounding front.

Biggest thing that has to happen is Mo needs to get himself in shape during the off season because this team is going to need him to see lots of minutes next year given the general lack of large bodies on the current roster.

And again all of this is subject to change if guys decide not to come back or the staff is able to find some guys that can step in right away and play.

Maybe look something like this at this point? Tarik is probably the biggest stretch, but I'll include him anyway.

Guards-
Mav Ahanmisi, SR.
Malik Smith, JR.
Wally Ellenson, Soph.
Cameron Forte, JR.
WO Kendal Shell, Jr.

Forwards-
Charles Buggs, FR.
Rakeem Buckles, SR.
Oto Osenieks, JR.
WO Chris Halvorsen, SR.

Center-
Mo Walker, JR.

Believe Malik Smith is a SR and Forte is a Soph. But I agree, it's getting there.

I would certainly suggest that all of the returnees get their tails in the gym and start working on their deficiencies and conditioning. I don't think Pitino will be handing out spots based on seniority or who played last year.

Once Pitino realize we can't guard people off the bounce or take people off the dribble he will bring in two quick guards pronto.

This thread will be bookmarked for next year, and we will see how you did.

Doc - Much like the way I bookmarked the thread you started.....

"Coach search is over - Teague has Wichita State Coach locked up....Mark my words".

Doc - Much like the way I bookmarked the thread you started.....

"Coach search is over - Teague has Wichita State Coach locked up....Mark my words".

So I lied. BFD.

Starting Lineup...

I like Buggs to start at one forward in place of Black...

Guards-
Mav Ahanmisi, SR.
Malik Smith, SR.
Wally Ellenson, Soph.
Cameron Forte, Soph.
WO Kendal Shell, Jr.

Forwards-
Charles Buggs, FR.
Rakeem Buckles, SR.
Oto Osenieks, JR.
WO Chris Halvorsen, SR.

Center-
Mo Walker, JR.

So we're getting every player we've shown (or been rumored) to have interest in? Better add Shane Rector to the list! Gonna be a deep squad before it's all said and done...

If we get Black and Buckles, Elliot will not be starting next season. Both Black and Buckles are 10x the athlete of Elliot. If I'm Pitino, these 8 guys see the floor regularly.

Dre Hollins
Austin Hollins
Joe Coleman
Rakeem Buckles
Tarik Black

Bench:
Malik Smith
Charles Buggs
Wally Ellenson

Josh Davis would have been nice

So we're getting every player we've shown (or been rumored) to have interest in? Better add Shane Rector to the list! Gonna be a deep squad before it's all said and done...

I was hoping for the PF from Tulane, Josh Davis, but I see he's narrowed his list to Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, and Pitt. I'd be curious to know if Pitino contacted him.

If I were Davis I certainly wouldn't go to Pitt. Get the feeling the Jamie Dixon era is on a serious downslide.

I added the people we were most likely to get, not just everyone I wanted

Let's try take 2

Guards-
Mav Ahanmisi, SR.
Daquein McNeil, Fr.
Wally Ellenson, Soph.
Dre Mathieu, Jr.
WO Kendal Shell, Jr.

Forwards-
Charles Buggs, FR.
Oto Osenieks, JR.

Center-
Mo Walker, JR.

Let's try take 2

Guards-
Mav Ahanmisi, SR.
Daquein McNeil, Fr.
Wally Ellenson, Soph.
Dre Mathieu, Jr.
WO Kendal Shell, Jr.

Forwards-
Charles Buggs, FR.
Oto Osenieks, JR.

Center-
Mo Walker, JR.

What happened to Buckles? Is he out

What happened to Buckles? Is he out

He probably has to graduate to transfer and qualify, that probably won't happen, long shot to be a Gopher is my guess.

Why are we favorites to get Black?

Big Ten conference
Exciting upbeat coach working him hard
Tons of guaranteed playing time at PF
Memphis guys already here to sell him on Minny
Team that could be real good with him on board

I know nothing about our chances but it seems like a great one year fit.

It seems strange that Duke is after Black, besides Curry I always thought Coach K wasn't very big on transfers, plus I feel like he would be a bench player there, but it is Duke. Does Kansas have a ton playing time available in the front court?

Big Ten conference
Exciting upbeat coach working him hard
Tons of guaranteed playing time at PF
Memphis guys already here to sell him on Minny
Team that could be real good with him on board

I know nothing about our chances but it seems like a great one year fit.

Gary Parrish (CBS) tweet that my new security settings won't let me link :( Not looking good for the Gophers, imo.

"Source told me Duke put a full court press on Tariq Black yesterday. Mike Krzyzewski, Steve Wojciechowski & Nate James all visited his home"

Gary Parrish (CBS) tweet that my new security settings won't let me link :( Not looking good for the Gophers, imo.

"Source told me Duke put a full court press on Tariq Black yesterday. Mike Krzyzewski, Steve Wojciechowski & Nate James all visited his home"

They did the same thing to Tyus recently, IIRC. They may just be in 'team' recruiting mode. Not sure it means anything. That said, it would be a big upset if we get him.

Here's the good news - They didn't close the deal yet. Still, against Duke that's a tough battle.

Top Bottom