Rossi leaves for $1.5 million

Ok, maybe there's someone who has followed the details of the new Big Ten media deal a lot closer than I have and can explain some details, but how is there any way that we can't pay any assistant coach the money we need to with the tv revenue increase we saw starting in 2023? In the final year of the old media deal that ended after the 2022 season the payout was $58.8M per school. Then with the beginning of the 2023 season we started the new $8.05B contract with FOX/FS1, CBS, NBC and Big Ten Network.

From what I understand, in the first year the amount of the payout to the core Big Ten schools would have been at least $80M per school (Note: I assume that Rutgers and Maryland are now getting a full share as they weren't in the old tv deal and then USC & UCLA are only getting a tiered portion and Oregon & Wash are receiving much less as they were being brought in so late. Even with Fox kicking in extra money I think they are only getting in the mid $50M range). Not to mention, the revenue is scaled so that by the end of the deal the core schools could be getting $90-100M range. So, how is there any way we can't pay a DC an additional $500K with more than $20M additional coming in the door since the 2022 contract ended? We should be able to pay an OC & DC $1.5M apiece no problem. If someone could enlighten me where all this new tv money is going it would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you like to look at the details, please see the link to a site for all the BCS media deals including basketball.
College sports TV contracts

FYI..... this site has a detailed NIL section as well.

No they can't. It's required to be paid via direct donations only. They could have a billion dollars and not pay it off. And what interest rate do you think they're being charged?
Link?

That's just plain silly and absurd, if you're saying they're "not allowed" (by whom??) to, for example, use the $50M a year they get from the Big Ten to help pay it off.

I would be concerned with Rossi leaving if we had defensive players transferring and or following him to Michigan state. What does his players staying tell us? Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

Link?

That's just plain silly and absurd, if you're saying they're "not allowed" (by whom??) to, for example, use the $50M a year they get from the Big Ten to help pay it off.
Why? Again what motivation is there to quickly pay off a low, simple interest loan? Bad business. Should I pay off my car at .9% interest or put extra money into my investments that are making 15% these last 12mths?

Why? Again what motivation is there to quickly pay off a low, simple interest loan? Bad business. Should I pay off my car at .9% interest or put extra money into my investments that are making 15% these last 12mths?
No one said peep about paying off the loan quickly. That has nothing to do with anything. I was saying nothing of the sort that they would or should take the entire $50M to make a $50M payment. Don't be silly.

You claimed they were not allowed to use a single cent of, eg. Big Ten revenue, to make any payment on the loan at all. You said only donation revenue was allowed to be used.

Poppycock. I'll assume you made that up, if you can't supply a link.

back to Rossi.

until he says something publicly, we just don't know what he was thinking. We know that Rossi has applied for - or at least been considered for - other positions, including the DC job at Notre Dame. So it's not like this was the first time he thought about leaving MN.

my gut feeling - a lot of people in the coaching profession move around a lot. some are trying to move up the coaching ladder; others are just looking for a new challenge. and more money doesn't hurt, either. if someone offered you a different job where you would have the same duties but make more money, you'd think about it.

on the salary thing - Ryan Burns has been harping about this for years. He has said that salary concerns factored in the decision by other assistant coaches to leave MN. and now MN is saving $250,000 with the new DC salary compared to what Rossi was making. I would like to see that money used to give a bump to other assistant coaches - but that's not my call. that's up to Fleck and Coyle.

Hopefully they offer you the offensive coordinator position.
If you're ok with an offense based on the halfback option and flea flicker, I'm your guy.

I would be concerned with Rossi leaving if we had defensive players transferring and or following him to Michigan state. What does his players staying tell us? Sometimes actions speak louder than words.
This coupled with key defensive players portalling out last year yields some questions about Rossi’s relationship with his players. However, NIL is most likely the reason for the transfers.

This coupled with key defensive players portalling out last year yields some questions about Rossi’s relationship with his players. However, NIL is most likely the reason for the transfers.
I doubt Dixon left for NIL, ending up at Rutgers. I assume he wanted to be starting safety, but knew that would not happen with Nubin coming back.

Top Bottom