Rossi leaves for $1.5 million

gophernut1

Reaction score
"Joe Rossi, who was hired away from Minnesota as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, leads the way with a three-year deal that will pay him $1.5 million in 2024 and increase by $100,000 each of the following two seasons. Rossi, who spent the last six seasons with the Golden Gophers, earned a raise after making $1.1 million in 2023, according to a USA TODAY salary database. That database also listed only 10 assistants in the nation who made more than $1.7 million last season."

Rutgers defensive coordinator Joe Harasymiak has agreed to a contract extension, as Rutgers athletics announced in a press release this afternoon. Under the new extension, Harasymiak will be under contract until Feb. 28, 2027 and will make $1.25 million until 2026 and $1.5 million on the final year of his contract.

So he wasn't gonna leave to come here and be underpaid to Fleck, either.

Fleck should take a pay cut to bump up the assistant pool.

Rutgers defensive coordinator Joe Harasymiak has agreed to a contract extension, as Rutgers athletics announced in a press release this afternoon. Under the new extension, Harasymiak will be under contract until Feb. 28, 2027 and will make $1.25 million until 2026 and $1.5 million on the final year of his contract.

So he wasn't gonna leave to come here and be underpaid to Fleck, either.

Fleck should take a pay cut to bump up the assistant pool.
He shouldn't have to

Sure!

So what is the roadblock then for why we have such a low assistant pool?

You can't tell me we take in less money than Rutgers??
Yeah, I'm not sure who specifically is tightening the purse strings but a lack of commitment to winning is par for the course for this university unfortunately. You're right, we should not be getting outbid by Rutgers.

Yeah, I'm not sure who specifically is tightening the purse strings but a lack of commitment to winning is par for the course for this university unfortunately. You're right, we should not be getting outbid by Rutgers.
I realize it's just one piece of the puzzle, but you've got to assume that the U takes in more from ticket sales/season tickets than Rutgers does.

"Joe Rossi, who was hired away from Minnesota as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, leads the way with a three-year deal that will pay him $1.5 million in 2024 and increase by $100,000 each of the following two seasons. Rossi, who spent the last six seasons with the Golden Gophers, earned a raise after making $1.1 million in 2023, according to a USA TODAY salary database. That database also listed only 10 assistants in the nation who made more than $1.7 million last season."

I like how people were theorizing his decision was about anything other than money.

It's been pretty widely reported that there was money left in the coaches pool that Fleck was not using.

Similar or better money at a program starting from zero, closer to home in PA. Leaving a program nearing a crossroads moment of the coach cycle. Can’t fault him for going. MN would have needed to make him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

It's been pretty widely reported that there was money left in the coaches pool that Fleck was not using.
700k unused this past season.
It's been reported and sourced here at GH about 100 times.

I would have done the job for half that.
Sure you would. But I'll bet everyone would be after your head during an in game chat and then a fire Word thread would be going. Could and should are two different things. Sorry Word, its not always easy.

700k unused this past season.
It's been reported and sourced here at GH about 100 times.
So, I don't think Rossi left because of money per se...did he leave because he was pissed PJ got a raise but withheld a raise to the assistant coaches? Seems like that could leave a mark...show me, don't tell me how much you like me as the DC.
100% Minnesota would of could of matched the Michigan St money if those numbers are accurate, which they seem to be.
And come on...we are moving to Michigan because it's closer to PA. ??? That ain't a reason to take the kids out of school.

Is this 700k use it or lose it money? Could there be a strategy invovled in this if it isn't?

PJ wants to be a Triple-A club for coaches too, I guess.

This thread is a long list of very weird PJ related hallucinations... wtf

If it was just for the money, which we don't have concrete evidence pointing one way or the other at this point, this is on PJ or whoever didn't authorize giving Rossi more. However, it's possible there were other factors that lead to Rossi leaving, but that's all speculation at this point.

PJ having 700k left over this season is annoying. I understand wanting to have some buffer for giving position coaches raises if they deserve it, and some of that left over is likely from having some new position coaches who's salary likely started lower than the salary the person they replaced had, but 700k is a lot to go around and some of it could have been spent giving Rossi a raise while still having enough left over to give position coaches raises too.

Obviously how large the pool of money for salaries is is dictated by the AD and the University, and it is smaller than the schools we want to compete with and that's always going to hurt us with respect to retaining good coaches who don't have aspirations to be in a different role (i.e. they want to stay a position coach, or if they are a coordinator they don't want to become an HC). Obviously this has been argued ad nauseam on this forum, but I think we're stuck in a chicken and egg situation. The U would likely increase the pool some if the team did well for long enough, but to do well for long enough to increase the salary pool we need good coaches to stay here, which isn't happening because they get hired away for a bigger salary by a school willing to pay.

So, I don't think Rossi left because of money per se...did he leave because he was pissed PJ got a raise but withheld a raise to the assistant coaches? Seems like that could leave a mark...show me, don't tell me how much you like me as the DC.
100% Minnesota would of could of matched the Michigan St money if those numbers are accurate, which they seem to be.
And come on...we are moving to Michigan because it's closer to PA. ??? That ain't a reason to take the kids out of school.
I thought all the coaches received raises last year, including Rossi, and I imagine he would have received another 200k or so after this past season.

Fleck hanging on to some money isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Maybe he didn’t want to overpay some of his assistance, or wanted some money in the bank if he had to replace a coach with someone that warranted more money.

When Kirk C was hired away for $1.5 Million, I knew Rossi was underpaid at $1.1 Million. Fleck should have given him a bigger raise.

They took out loans to pay for it.

You don't think that the contractors who put it up are still waiting to be paid??

Just part of the business. These coaches have such little job security they usually jump at opportunities for a raise/promotion. He a had some good years previous to this one and I think he just striked while the iron was still hot.

Were paid by loan from university. The owed part is back to the university.
They took out loans to pay for it.

You don't think that the contractors who put it up are still waiting to be paid??

Were paid by loan from university. The owed part is back to the university.
What part of TNgopher's post #9 is negated by this information?

The athletic department pays dept service on the loan. They can use revenue that they take in to pay for that.

What part of TNgopher's post #9 is negated by this information?

The athletic department pays dept service on the loan. They can use revenue that they take in to pay for that.
No they can't. It's required to be paid via direct donations only. They could have a billion dollars and not pay it off. And what interest rate do you think they're being charged?

Top Bottom