Reusse on Fleck's stability at the U: "it would take 3 seasons in row of 5-7 or less to face the “heat” associated w/ getting fired."

I think two would do it in year 8-10 of the program. Going 5-7 two straight years after 7-5 or 6-6 would be tough for the AD to sit idle.

It's basically saying back-to-back 3-6 conference records.

I think two would do it in year 8-10 of the program. Going 5-7 two straight years after 7-5 or 6-6 would be tough for the AD to sit idle.

Yup.
Agree

I’d agree. B2B 3-6 conference records could do it. I do think there has been a lack of progress the last 3-4 years and that needs to change

“It’s all on me” is very tired, I agree. Usually a statement prompts one to be better or be different when the same situation occurs again. Guess he's not learning from mistakes since he keeps making the same statement.

I’m with Reusse, it would take at least 3 years like that for him to get shown the door. Between conference expansion, running a clean program, and being a good face for the program, PJ has a very long leash over the next few years.

Hopefully he stumbles across another good OC soon and this is all a moot point.

“It’s all on me” is very tired, I agree. Usually a statement prompts one to be better or be different when the same situation occurs again. Guess he's not learning from mistakes since he keeps making the same statement.

Fleck could express the same sentiment with less formulaic language. It would make him seem less weird.

"Boy, that was a tough one to lose. We didn't score as much as we thought we would, or as much as I think we should have, and since the buck stops here, ultimately I'm responsible."

I’d agree. B2B 3-6 conference records could do it. I do think there has been a lack of progress the last 3-4 years and that needs to change
He's still focuses on being a developmental program and I think that is good, but I think there needs to be some continued tweaking to this process at some positions. That's really hard to do and get HS kids to stick around if they aren't playing by year 3.

To consider

Glen Mason was 7-5, 7-5, 6-7 In last 3 years. They followed his 10-3 season. Obviously some of the epic meltdown losses were the reason he got fired, not the overall record when compared to the previous 10 yrs.

To consider

Glen Mason was 7-5, 7-5, 6-7 In last 3 years. They followed his 10-3 season. Obviously some of the epic meltdown losses were the reason he got fired, not the overall record when compared to the previous 10 yrs.
Would N'western and Illinois games be seen as meltdowns? Definitely dramatic ways to lose. I agree with Pat's scenario. What if Gophs go 5-7 this year and 4-8 next? Still feel they can go 7-5 this season, but who really knows with the NW and Illini loses.

If the
To consider

If there ever was moment in time I could change it would be having Texas tech miss that 50+ yard FG. win that bowl game. And probably never ever see Brewster. Mason would have at least been able to coach the first game in then TCF BANK stadium 🏟️ before leaving or retiring or getting fired.

Always liked Mason as a coach. Even with the handful of epic meltdowns. And he beat the teams he was suppose to beat. I at least could count on that.

Which we will see starting next year with the new conference alignment.

Would N'western and Illinois games be seen as meltdowns? Definitely dramatic ways to lose. I agree with Pat's scenario. What if Gophs go 5-7 this year and 4-8 next? Still feel they can go 7-5 this season, but who really knows with the NW and Illini loses.
Northwestern probably meltdown, Illinois was a horrible last 2 minute, i think those losses(Illinois) if they get more frequent run together and become meltdowns in peoples minds.

Agreed that two 5-7 years would do it, not three

I’m with Reusse, it would take at least 3 years like that for him to get shown the door. Between conference expansion, running a clean program, and being a good face for the program, PJ has a very long leash over the next few years.

Hopefully he stumbles across another good OC soon and this is all a moot point.
When you say "a good face for the program", do you mean the old one, or the one he got after his wife made him get plastic surgery?

He would have done a lot better PR wise if he had jsut siad "tough loss, I'm upset, we got to get back to work".

The "Change Your Best" rhetoric when you are so reluctnat to change what you are doing is trite, and off-putting.

beating Purdue would take some of the irritation off of this up and down season

IMO two in a row of 6-6 or worse gets him on the hot seat. 6-6 this year, bowl loss, and 5-7 next year with that schedule might put it over the edge.

Though I don't think we will collapse. I expect a bounce back year to 8-9 wins in 2024. Very favorable schedule.

Last edited:

IMO two in a row of 6-6 or worse gets him on the hot seat. 6-6 this year, bowl loss, and 5-7 next year with that schedule might put it over the edge.

Though I don't think we will collapse. I expect a bounce back year to 8-9 wins in 2024.

Man, even getting to 5 or 6 wins next year is going to be a heavy lift. In addition to 2 cupcakes at home, we have Carolina, Iowa, @Michigan, USC, @UCLA, @Illinois (we can't beat Bert), Maryland, @Rutgers, Penn State and @Wisconsin. Not saying we're going to lose every one of those games, only that we might have a realistic chance in maybe 3 or 4 of them. The new Big Ten is gonna be a grind.

Man, even getting to 5 or 6 wins next year is going to be a heavy lift. In addition to 2 cupcakes at home, we have Carolina, Iowa, @Michigan, USC, @UCLA, @Illinois (we can't beat Bert), Maryland, @Rutgers, Penn State and @Wisconsin. Not saying we're going to lose every one of those games, only that we might have a realistic chance in maybe 3 or 4 of them. The new Big Ten is gonna be a grind.
People afraid to play Rutgers and Maryland should really shut it down for a few years and come back after they calm down

The new schedule doesn’t mean you play 5 top 10 teams a year.
It does mean schedules like 2022 Minnesota or 2023 Iowa don’t really exist anymore

It also means going 7-2 and being the best team in the west doesn’t necessarily get you in the conference championship game anymore. (Though 10-2 probably gets you in the playoff most years)

People afraid to play Rutgers and Maryland should really shut it down for a few years and come back after they calm down

The new schedule doesn’t mean you play 5 top 10 teams a year.
It does mean schedules like 2022 Minnesota or 2023 Iowa don’t really exist anymore

It also means going 7-2 and being the best team in the west doesn’t necessarily get you in the conference championship game anymore. (Though 10-2 probably gets you in the playoff most years)
By today's AP and Coaches poll our schedule next year includes:
2 top 10 teams in MI and PSU
and a top 25 UNC team
and 3 other teams receiving votes. (IA, UCLA, USC)

Based on the 2023 pre-season poll, this year's schedule included.
2 top 5 teams MI and tOSU
3 top 25 teams in WI, IA, UNC
and 1 other receiving votes Illinois

Based on today's poll this year we have played or will play.
2 top 5 teams in MI and tOSU
1 top 25 in UNC
and 1 other receiving votes in Iowa

Let's say for sake of argument that the Gophers have 2 or three seasons in a row with less than .500 records.

so who is making Fleck's seat 'hot?' Or hot enough to force Coyle to take some action?

fans complaining on Gopher Hole or in the Strib comments section? Nope. in the big scheme of things, we don't move the needle.

The Media - including radio shows, podcasts, blogs, etc? another nope. they might nudge public opinion toward the negative, but that by itself is not enough to get a coach fired.

Boosters? maybe - if the Gophers have Boosters with enough clout to get a coach fired. I'm not sure they have many Boosters in that category. But - if Fund-raising falls or major donors say "no more money if Fleck is the Coach" - then that becomes more possible.

Advertisers? that's a possibility if it causes the U to lose revenue.

Ticket buyers? another possibility if season ticket sales drop and in-game attendance plummets.

Board of Regents/Administrators? how many of them could even tell you what the teams' record is?

My gut tells me that - barring some off-field scandal - it would take a major revolt by all the above groups to rouse Coyle out of his semi-comatose state. Like villagers in a Frankenstein movie marching on the castle with pitchforks and torches.

By today's AP and Coaches poll our schedule next year includes:
2 top 10 teams in MI and PSU
and a top 25 UNC team
and 3 other teams receiving votes. (IA, UCLA, USC)

Based on the 2023 pre-season poll, this year's schedule included.
2 top 5 teams MI and tOSU
3 top 25 teams in WI, IA, UNC
and 1 other receiving votes Illinois

Based on today's poll this year we have played or will play.
2 top 5 teams in MI and tOSU
1 top 25 in UNC
and 1 other receiving votes in Iowa
True. But North Carolina isn’t a big ten team nor will they be as good next year

Let's say for sake of argument that the Gophers have 2 or three seasons in a row with less than .500 records.

so who is making Fleck's seat 'hot?' Or hot enough to force Coyle to take some action?

fans complaining on Gopher Hole or in the Strib comments section? Nope. in the big scheme of things, we don't move the needle.

The Media - including radio shows, podcasts, blogs, etc? another nope. they might nudge public opinion toward the negative, but that by itself is not enough to get a coach fired.

Boosters? maybe - if the Gophers have Boosters with enough clout to get a coach fired. I'm not sure they have many Boosters in that category. But - if Fund-raising falls or major donors say "no more money if Fleck is the Coach" - then that becomes more possible.

Advertisers? that's a possibility if it causes the U to lose revenue.

Ticket buyers? another possibility if season ticket sales drop and in-game attendance plummets.

Board of Regents/Administrators? how many of them could even tell you what the teams' record is?

My gut tells me that - barring some off-field scandal - it would take a major revolt by all the above groups to rouse Coyle out of his semi-comatose state. Like villagers in a Frankenstein movie marching on the castle with pitchforks and torches.
An empty stadium 7 games a year would do it.
It is why this is the basketball coaches last year

Northwestern probably meltdown, Illinois was a horrible last 2 minute, i think those losses(Illinois) if they get more frequent run together and become meltdowns in peoples minds.
Illinois was a 3 play meltdown in an otherwise close game

Northwestern was a 3 touchdown drive meltdown, plus a one-and-done on defense in overtime

It was like the Gophers were playing 7 on 11 on defense for a quarter.

Top Bottom