1991–1992 Wyoming (WR)
1993–1996 Minnesota (WR)
1997 Minnesota (QB)
1998–2000 Purdue (WR)
2001–2002 Texas A&M (Asst/OC)
2003–2005 Oklahoma (ST/TE)
2006–2007 Oklahoma (WR/Co-OC)
2008–present Houston

He was in at OK when Peterson was there....they didn't run a spread then all the time then.

I bet he could adapt to the personel.

Maybe this guy or Venables.

I too agree though we need to can Maturi first.

GM

Obviously they were big mistakes.. But that's not our issue today, is it?

The issue is our non-existent defense.
And the existence of Cosgrove as our defensive coordinator.

I'd be comfortable with Sumlin. Less so with either Johnson or Leach. But we are going to be in the market for a new coach.

I think that the Utah coach Kyle Whittingham would be a decent option as well.

What is the name of that tune?

I don't want a spread coach. Sumlin has performed a nice turnaround at UH but that style won't fly at Minnesota.

Oh Ya BINGO!

If the grand master of the spread can't make it work at MN . . .

The offense yesterday was fine - except when the deviated from what worked and dropped passes that would have changed the game and quite possibly my way of thinking.

i.e. following the interception why not stick with what was working, get the game back to the tempo that we wanted it played at, run the clock and keep the defense, which was clearly the weak point of the experience, on the sideline where they could be coached on screen defense and pass defense.

I think we're going to get a Tubby Smith-like hire. He'll have to be a proven winner. Someone who has been a successful head coach with championship(s).

Sumlin would certainly have an interesting spread QB candidate in Gray to work with. There is no doubt in my mind that Gray would look a lot better running a spread offense. With that being said, I get chills every time I think about the Gophers trying to convert short yardage into first downs out of a spread offense.

Gray is not the kind of spread QB that Sumlin uses. Case Keenum's passing yds by year: 2259, 5020, 5671, 553. His rushing yds by year: 412, 221, 158, 26.

Case Keenum threw the ball 700 times last year. Is that what you think Gray would look good doing?

I think we're going to get a Tubby Smith-like hire. He'll have to be a proven winner. Someone who has been a successful head coach with championship(s).

I think we are at the point where that is what we must do, but I'm not confident it will happen.

I think we are at the point where that is what we must do, but I'm not confident it will happen.

How could it? Why would anyone of any significant accomplishment come here given the recent history of the program?

How could it? Why would anyone of any significant accomplishment come here given the recent history of the program?

Money. Straight cash, homey.

We should do a stadium-styled bond issuance and get a giant fund put together to get and keep an awesome coach. It's really the only way we're going to be able to get talent here given where the program stands nationally.

Chris Petersen

I don't know if we could get him to come to Minnesota, but if we could I would throw in a bit of money to help land him.

At this point I don't care who it is because whoever it is will do a better job than this ass clown.

Ohio State hired the coach from I-AA Youngstown State, and they've done pretty well. We're not likely to get big name coach, and if we do, there's significant possibility of hiring a washed up coach. Hire someone who knows how to do more with less.

petersen or patterson?

How much $ would we have to give either these guys to come to MN?

Spread at Houston != Spread at MN

Don't some of you think some of the reason he runs the spread at Houston is he is adapting to the talents around him?

I'm not an expert...so some research would be appreciated.

He didn't run the spread all the time at Oklahoma...Vikes #28 was there at the time.

GM

We cannot change offensive philosophy again. Wisky and Iowa have proven that the way to win in the Big 10 when you don't have a built in recruiting advantage is to recruit the line positions locally and fill in skill positions from guys across the country. I just don't believe we can recruit the necessary athletes up here in the tundra to run the spread effectively.

I fully agree, Koppco. I really like the offense Horton is installing and I just don't think we can regularly recruit talented enough athletes to successfully run the spread. I would rather go the WI/IA way and recruit line positions locally+other talent as it comes along in-state, and fill skill from around the country. Brew got the right idea eventually, but it took him too long.

I know this is a backward looking statement, but when our coaching job was open I wanted Maturi to hire Bo Pellini... look how that worked out for Nebraska.

What about a guy like Phil Fulmer? He certainly knows how to run a big time football program and is still respected around the game.

Fulmer?

I know this is a backward looking statement, but when our coaching job was open I wanted Maturi to hire Bo Pellini... look how that worked out for Nebraska.

What about a guy like Phil Fulmer? He certainly knows how to run a big time football program and is still respected around the game.

If I recall, Fulmer was dismissed from his job at Tennessee for more than just mounting losses. His team was in disarray and player misconduct was rampant. People down in Knoxville still joke about some of his team photos being more like "Most Wanted" posters...

There is a tongue in cheek award called the Fulmer Cup. It is awarded to the college football program that has the most arrests in a year.

Normally I would have thought Sumlin would be a good candidate... But if Phat Pat is a supporter?????

If I recall, Fulmer was dismissed from his job at Tennessee for more than just mounting losses. His team was in disarray and player misconduct was rampant. People down in Knoxville still joke about some of his team photos being more like "Most Wanted" posters...

There is a tongue in cheek award called the Fulmer Cup. It is awarded to the college football program that has the most arrests in a year.

Geez, good call... can't believe I didn't think of that.

Thinking outside the box a bit, some names that haven't been brought up.

Kirby Smart, D coordinator at Alabama
Todd Grantham, D coordinator at Georgia
Will Muschamp, D coordinator at Texas
John Chavis, D coordinator at LSU

I'd like to see somebody defensive minded, somebody with some coordinator level experience at the major college level, and somebody from a program that has had some recent success.

Thinking outside the box a bit, some names that haven't been brought up.

Kirby Smart, D coordinator at Alabama
Todd Grantham, D coordinator at Georgia
Will Muschamp, D coordinator at Texas
John Chavis, D coordinator at LSU

I don't know these guys personal/job histories, but I am really leary of hiring coaches that are not from the midwest. I fear that the U would simply be a stepping stone for them to get back to where they really want to be.

It seems like all of the successful Big Ten Coaches have been midwestern guys who know they like it here.

Top Bottom