Reusse Makes Call...Next Gophers Coach Will Be

akgopher

Reaction score
Kevin Sumlin. Says boosters will need to get on board to get him $10 mill for 5 years.

If we could afford him, I would be extremely happy with this choice. This dude can coach. He put UH on the map.

In. Hope the fat guy is right and the boosters can come through.

Damn, I wish I was a high-rollin' booster. Get wined and dined for a night and then write a check for $2MM to buy out the coach's contract. I'd also like to own a floating castle.

Kevin Sumlin. Says boosters will need to get on board to get him $10 mill for 5 years.

Kevin Sumlin would be a great hire imo. Would bring back an exciting offense but i think we said that about the spread when Brewster came in.

If you compare Sumlin's credentials today vs Brewster's when he was hired it isn't even close. Sumlin has done very well in Houston. I'm curious if he would have any interest.

If you compare Sumlin's credentials today vs Brewster's when he was hired it isn't even close. Sumlin has done very well in Houston. I'm curious if he would have any interest.

I think he would have interest, but if he turned the program around he would likely jump ship at the first opportunity. But I can live with that if we are going to the rose bowl.

Sumlin would certainly have an interesting spread QB candidate in Gray to work with. There is no doubt in my mind that Gray would look a lot better running a spread offense. With that being said, I get chills every time I think about the Gophers trying to convert short yardage into first downs out of a spread offense.

The only guy I want is Mike Leach. After watching a few youtube clips, I can definately see him lighting a fire under these guys a**es! Also, if he were the coach Gray would have been starting last year.

His resume is head and shoulders above Brews, but do we really want to completely change the offense around, again? I feel like that would not be beneficial for us to go back to something that clearly failed for us just two years ago. I would really like to see someone come in and leave the offensive scheme RELATIVELY untouched. Going back to the spread just contributes to the feeling of the program going in circles. Find something and stick with it. Plus we produce less local talent that fits the spread. I like the offense we have now, we just need good coaches run it.

Going back to Metrodome beer sales policy might pay for Sumlin's deal and bring back the students. They could make a Captain Morgan Deck like Target Field has too. In this economy, you've gotta be creative.

If Sumlin has another good season at UH, he will have better options than MN, unfortunately.

Sumlin does not exicte me at all. Runs the spread and just like Leach (why would anyone want him) only plays defense because he has to.

This would be exposed in the B10 where defense is a lot more than just required.

I don't want a spread coach. Sumlin has performed a nice turnaround at UH but that style won't fly at Minnesota.

Yep, take advive from a guy(Reusse) who could care less about college football?

Other ideas that I think are crazy ...Corey Sauter? UMD Coach? Sumlin - go back to the spread??? No WAY!

A spread system can work at Minnesota. We tried to run it without the right personnel and then ditched it before the kids recruited to play in it had a shot.

Sumlin was here for most of the Wacker era and no doubt there are folks who know him and would be able to reach out and gauge his interest. I don't know if he'd want to come here all things considered, but we gotta hire someone.

If we could afford him, I would be extremely happy with this choice. This dude can coach. He put UH on the map.

I think he's the top candidate too. And if we can't coax the coach from Houston who's a former assistant we have big problems. However, I think Andre Ware and David Klingler would argue that Houston was already on the map.

I like Sumlin. He is a good coach and he has some ties to MN. I am not 100% sure that is the brand of football that will be the most effective. Then again, I am not ecstatic about the idea of a the wishbone with Paul Johnson.

I like the idea of Gus Malzahn, even though he hasn't been a college coach in his career (so I doubt he would be hried).

I could be ok with this...

....how have his defenses been?

I don't like the spread 100% of the time....I like being able to get 1 yard with 2 TE, FB, and RB.

GM

Even after watching that awesome game between Mich and ND, I don't want to go back to the spread. Maybe on 40% of the offensive plays, I'd be ok with it.. But not like we did a few years ago where it was ALL we ran.

I like our offense.. Even today. Take away those 2 fumbles that Weber had (who was just trying to make something happen, BTW), and we win the game.

The only changes I'd like to see are Brew getting demoted at best (he doesn't coach his talent up at all) to maybe recruiter and a defensive coordinator that can make adjustments (like getting out of the zone when SOUTH DAKOTA is hitting their WRs in the soft spots or puting a spy on their QB). I'm not quite ready to throw Cosgrove under the bus yet, despite his sucknitude today.. To be fair we don't have any defender that knows what he's doing back there (especially the safeties). But he needs to pull his head out and do something, NOW, about his defense.

I do NOT want to see another offensive scheme change.. I don't care WHO we bring in at HC.

I think most fumbles happen we players are merely "trying to make something happen". They were both mental mistakes that a 5th yr player and 4th yr starter shouldn't make. They were the least of our problems for why we lost, but lets not ignore reality, they were big mistakes.

Paul Johnson gets paid pretty well at GT (about 2.5 mill/season), so I don't think that is a possibility.

Our best bets would be Leach, Malzahn, maybe Kirby Smart?

We cannot change offensive philosophy again. Wisky and Iowa have proven that the way to win in the Big 10 when you don't have a built in recruiting advantage is to recruit the line positions locally and fill in skill positions from guys across the country. I just don't believe we can recruit the necessary athletes up here in the tundra to run the spread effectively.

Paul Johnson gets paid pretty well at GT (about 2.5 mill/season), so I don't think that is a possibility.

Money aside, why would he leave his Georgia roots and a GT program that he has already built into a perennial BCS bowl contender to move north and try to rebuild Minnesota?

It is so far out of the scope of possible, it isn't even funny.

I think most fumbles happen we players are merely "trying to make something happen". They were both mental mistakes that a 5th yr player and 4th yr starter shouldn't make. They were the least of our problems for why we lost, but lets not ignore reality, they were big mistakes.

Obviously they were big mistakes.. But that's not our issue today, is it?

The issue is our non-existent defense.

Top Bottom