Reusse: Foolish for Gophers to continue avoiding St. Thomas hoops rivalry

Too soon for me to say losing by 5 to Marquette I guess, but our D1 program is young and we lack signature wins because too many programs that it would be fun and interesting to play refuse "because they would have nothing to gain and Patrick Reusse would make fun of them"
Congrats on covering the +23.5.

Congrats on covering the +23.5.
Like an idiot, I tried to parlay it with the under.

Lost my $1 I had earmarked to help fund UST's bus travel to Williams if BJ went for the insulting low-ball proposal to actually play us

Like an idiot, I tried to parlay it with the under.

Lost my $1 I had earmarked to help fund UST's bus travel to Williams if BJ went for the insulting low-ball proposal to actually play us
The Tommies will have to take the Green Line instead.

Last edited:

Does Creighton play UNO? Does Marquette play UW Milwaukee?

NET rankings through Dec. 14
Gophers #101
Tommies #165

KenPom rankings
Gophers #89
Tommies #185

The premise of the article is that it would be a Gopher Home game.

I think it would have a good chance to hit the 10,000 mark for attendance, but granted the state of the program as a whole, it would not be a guarantied.
I’m sensing that dreaded anti-FGCU/IUPUI hate in this post🧐

The level of hubris some folks have over St. Thomas is so over the top. Sure they're going to go from DIII to dominant program in the state and Big East member all within 7-10 years. Book it.
The Tom Toms have St. Paul envy; not the brainpower of the Scots nor the grit of the Pipers, but rather lots of entitlement.

Creighton and Neb already play every year.
Marquette and UW-Mad already play every year.

How many D1 schools we got in this state?
Those are high major schools playing each other. Not low major vs high major (who's sucked for 20+ years save a few years).

Ya but, if we played better competition we would likely lose. If we played St Thomas this year we'd likely win. And St Thomas is higher rated than the majority of our non conference opponents now.
So there are two advantages with greater attendance.

3rd advantage....gotta be more fun for the players to play St Thomas over UPIUPU especially with 500 people versus 10,000. But also the challenge of beating them because it matters more simulates conference games preparation better than vs Upstate anybody.

AND, with the hockey coach taking on the challenge...basketball looks like a weenie dodging St Thomas.
I wasn’t suggesting improving just a single game of our non conference schedule.

This game could be a lot of fun when UST makes move to Big East.

This game could be a lot of fun when UST makes move to Big East.
Based on last night they're clearly good enough to compete against some of the best teams in the Big East, so I'm not sure why it would matter to us what conference they play in.

Based on last night they're clearly good enough to compete against some of the best teams in the Big East, so I'm not sure why it would matter to us what conference they play in.

Maybe pump the brakes. They played great last night. But they're 6-4 outside of last night's game and their only other power conference game was a loss to a bottom feeding Cal team. I certainly wouldn't say that Chicago State is good enough to compete in the Big Ten by virtue of their win over NW....for example.

Maybe pump the brakes. They played great last night. But they're 6-4 outside of last night's game and their only other power conference game was a loss to a bottom feeding Cal team. I certainly wouldn't say that Chicago State is good enough to compete in the Big Ten by virtue of their win over NW....for example.
We're only talking about making one non-conference game interesting and competitive. They can do that even if they'll be the heavy underdog most years.

The list of good reasons not to play thr Tommies is getting thin. We played Mac (I know it didn’t count) and they beat us for a half. I say play them! Fan interest. It’ll sell more tickets than IUPUI.

IUPUI was the cupcake that got a payday.
St. Thomas is the cupcake that will get a payday.

Is this really that hard to understand, Patrick, you willfully obtuse turd in the punch bowl?
Uh, Maybe to get some fans in the stands?

Creighton played Omaha in 2020, and Nebby played them last year. UW Milwaukee and UW GB have played Wisconsin many, many times. Interestingly, Marquette is a scaredy cat just like you.
Yup. Jboy is an excuse maker, covering for the hc.

Because the gophers are so good..,? How will they finish in the B10 (projections have us finishing near the bottom *3rd year in a row). At least they go out and play teams. St Thomas isn’t scared of losing, they want the opportunity to compete, whereas the gophers are scared to compete and CBJ wants to save his job with a paper strong win-loss record that may fool non-basketball people, but people who know basketball understand they are essentially beating The Sister’s of the Blind game over game (Nebraska was a okay victory of a bottom level B10 team)

They will not be coming to the Big East any time soon, likely ever.

If the BE is hesitant to add Dayton they sure as hell aint going for St Thomas

I don’t think you know how economics, especially how media markets and how media money is driving these decisions. UST is in the Twin Cities media market (#15 in the US), Dayton is outside of the Cincinnati media market (#37)… it isn’t even a comparison of what media market would be more attractive to the Big East. And how they would Al be able to leverage the size of a new media market in their next media renegotiate.

St. Louis would be a better option than Dayton, but I’m sure Creighton has a veto on that market with the Big East.

In getting real technical, Cincinnati media market only covers part of Dayton, the rest is covered by the Dayton media market which is ranked #66 in the nation.

They will not be coming to the Big East any time soon, likely ever.

If the BE is hesitant to add Dayton they sure as hell aint going for St Thomas.
I don’t think you know how economics, especially how media markets and how media money is driving these decisions. UST is in the Twin Cities media market (#15 in the US), Dayton is outside of the Cincinnati media market (#37)… it isn’t even a comparison of what media market would be more attractive to the Big East. And how they would Al be able to leverage the size of a new media market in their next media renegotiate.

St. Louis would be a better option than Dayton, but I’m sure Creighton has a veto on that market with the Big East.

In getting real technical, Cincinnati media market only covers part of Dayton, the rest is covered by the Dayton media market which is ranked #66 in the nation.
Big East already has a southern Ohio school, Xavier.

Because the gophers are so good..,? How will they finish in the B10 (projections have us finishing near the bottom *3rd year in a row). At least they go out and play teams. St Thomas isn’t scared of losing, they want the opportunity to compete, whereas the gophers are scared to compete and CBJ wants to save his job with a paper strong win-loss record that may fool non-basketball people, but people who know basketball understand they are essentially beating The Sister’s of the Blind game over game (Nebraska was a okay victory of a bottom level B10 team)

Scared to compete? Lol. St Thomas would be just another bad team on a bad non conference schedule. Sorry. Doesn't move the meter.

You're making the error of assuming that anyone in the MSP media market gives an eff about St. Thomas basketball.

Just curious, why would Creighton have veto power over St. Louis? They aren't particularly overlapping markets. Probably closer to DePaul, or even Butler. I was surprised that the Omaha market is equivalent to Madison (and behind Dayton).

The other thing to say here is that I'm not sure "major media market" is as important as what it used to be - when the B1G added Rutgers and MD, it was to get their local cable providers in NYC and DC to carry BTN. Cable isn't really a thing any more, is it? If today's environment existed, I don't know that they add Rutgers. A school's brand is probably the deciding factor these days - whatever that means/how one would measure it.

You're making the error of assuming that anyone in the MSP media market gives an eff about St. Thomas basketball.
Anyone who watched them play last night will be developing a strong interest.

Top Bottom