Reusse: Foolish for Gophers to continue avoiding St. Thomas hoops rivalry

Oxford defines "pedant" as "a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning."

As such, the fact that both the Universities of Minnesota & St Thomas have a campus presence in both Minneapolis and St Paul should not fail to escape you.

He was obviously being a bit sarcastic. Geez...

Robe

Robert Morris, Bemidji State, Colorado College and St Thomas. All the others were in conference or required. Mind you there are only 63 other teams to choose from. Hockey is a bad comparison because so few teams plus our conference is loaded.
I enjoy that you left out UND and UMD because they make you look even dumber than your previous post did.

You seem to think one game at the Barn is going to make a huge difference on the athletic department. It wont.
Nowhere did I say or infer "a huge difference". Enough to offset 2 or 3 "buy games", sure.

There are other benefits too.
@60"s Guy post #94, sums it up best.

I think for these buy games against small conferences they pretty much base it on the average viewership of the B1G school and not much on the opponent. Indiana games get the best ratings so they will always pick them. I'm guessing Maryland has badly outpaced us in viewers the last couple years, even though they're not good this year.

That game was at 6:00, so I'm not sure why they didn't just have the Gophers game at 8:00 and televise both, but perhaps Minnesota said no to that? Or BTN didn't care enough about having a second game to bother with the extra costs (more likely.)
With finals approaching, perhaps the Gophers did nix an 8pm start on a mid-December Tuesday.

Also plausible is to even out the quantity of broadcasts for the schools on BTN & BTN+. I would think they want some of each to drive potential subscriptions or justify the price.

Just guessing on both points.

There is no upside for the Gophers to play St. Thomas right now. If they beat them Reusse’s response would be “They should have beat them.” If they lost it would have been doom and gloom from the self proclaimed cynic Reusse.

There is no upside for the Gophers to play St. Thomas right now. If they beat them Reusse’s response would be “They should have beat them.” If they lost it would have been doom and gloom from the self proclaimed cynic Reusse.
Reusse is a UST fan, so this isn't a surprise. How exactly does that differ from playing SC Upstate?

I mean wouldn't the upside be a sold out barn and increased fan interest?

1. I don't know why I'm dignifying this with a response.
2. St Thomas has a campus in Minneapolis and Minnesota has campus in St. Paul.
You didn't have to respond but I am glad you did.

Thanks for posting Point #2. Since the first day I got on campus, I wondered why there were several maroon buses on Washington Ave that indicated "St Paul Campus".

Mystery solved after more than 3 decades.

Having another Division 1 school in the state is even more annoying than I could have ever imagined.

Unfortunately you might as well get used to it. St Thomas fans are going to continue to bombard this site with the same old narrative that the Gophers are too scared to play them until it actually happens. Expect 10+ threads a year on this topic for the foreseeable future.

Battle of the Catholic Research Universities goes to Marquette.

We don't give a lot of credence to "moral victories" around here. Too many opportunities. 🙂
Too soon for me to say losing by 5 to Marquette I guess, but our D1 program is young and we lack signature wins because too many programs that it would be fun and interesting to play refuse "because they would have nothing to gain and Patrick Reusse would make fun of them"

Last edited:

Too soon for me to say losing by 5 to Marquette I guess, but our D1 program is young and we lack signature wins because too many programs that it would be fun and interesting to play refuse "because they would have nothing to gain and Patrick Reusse would make fun of them"

I was making fun of our team, not yours. 🙂

What would you consider the best win in your program's history?
To this point I’d say St. Thomas’ best win was South Dakota State last season or, if not the Jackrabbits, vs. North Dakota State with Grant Nelson (now at Alabama).

In terms of most impactful, winning their first-ever Summit League Tournament game to get a spot in the semifinals.

Baby steps.

Top Bottom