Reusse: Foolish for Gophers to continue avoiding St. Thomas hoops rivalry

I don’t think you know how economics, especially how media markets and how media money is driving these decisions. UST is in the Twin Cities media market (#15 in the US), Dayton is outside of the Cincinnati media market (#37)… it isn’t even a comparison of what media market would be more attractive to the Big East. And how they would Al be able to leverage the size of a new media market in their next media renegotiate.

St. Louis would be a better option than Dayton, but I’m sure Creighton has a veto on that market with the Big East.

In getting real technical, Cincinnati media market only covers part of Dayton, the rest is covered by the Dayton media market which is ranked #66 in the nation.

Yeah, if only media market was all that mattered.

Not sure you understand all of revenue and what goes into it.

Dayton has sustained success, a built in fanbase, facilities while maintaining all of that in the A10

St Thomas draws 1,200 a game. They dont have the resources of any big east team.

The BE is already struggling with Depaul who has been a trainwreck for over 20 years. They are in a HOT BED of resources whether its media/recuriting etc..

The BE isnt just bringing on some small minnesota school for the media market. Thats laughable that you would even insinuate that.

Great analogy

Not an analogy.

😂 like the MSP media market is clamoring for Gopher basketball.. or giving a phuck however you want to phrase it

Only strengthens my position. MSP media market isn't interested in Gophers basketball.......what makes you think they'd be interested in Gophers basketball leftover players?

Anyone looking at this from a perspective of anything happening soon OR discounting based on UST's current position isn't worth arguing with.
This is at minimum a 10-15 year proposition and assumes significant investments and change, to recruiting, facilities, and fan support. Today's NCAA (will the NCAA exist in 10 years?) is changing so quickly that it's damn near impossible to predict what can or can't happen.

What is clear is UST has a commitment (and committed donors) to making moves and Minnesota is a great basketball state with room for greater fan interest in the sport than what either the Gophs OR the Toms have garnered in recent years. I'd say any moves to develop that interest are going to benefit both teams (at the expense of the Badgers please? We can all agree there i hope). Reasonable minds can disagree on what that means

Why add another weak team to our already weak schedule? Absolutely nothing to gain for the Gophers.

The only benefit would be the extra ticket sales and butts in the seats. Certainly the attendance in a Gopher v Tommies matchup would be higher than the IUPUI game. But, that's the only advantage.
What’s the disadvantage?

It takes Pat 12 paragraphs to get to his thesis:

On Tuesday night, the Gophers — representing a campus with 30,550 undergraduates — were playing a men's basketball game vs. Indiana University/Purdue University Indianapolis, with the initials of IUPUI and the nickname "Oooey-Pooey."

There were a few thousand ticket holders anticipated to be in attendance.

Meantime, the men's team from St. Thomas, the Catholic research university located four miles from Williams Arena, was practicing in preparation for a game Thursday at Marquette.

Go Gophers!!
I love how Reusse takes time to remind the UMN Academics that they also are not the only option in town, too.

Tommies can't even get their best player to stay.
There is a difference in not keeping your best, and having no one interested in your players.

Garcia would’ve been off internet but would’ve had to sit out (since he transfers all the time). Payne will be on the watch this year. Everyone else, meh.

There is a difference in not keeping your best, and having no one interested in your players.

Garcia would’ve been off internet but would’ve had to sit out (since he transfers all the time). Payne will be on the watch this year. Everyone else, meh.
Tommies lost one player to a P5 team last year and the Gophers lost two if I remember correctly....And I believe both Battle and Cooper are having better years statistically than Rohde.

Also JOJ has the most potential on the team so, you're dumb.

Last edited:

Tommies lost one player to a P5 team last year and the Gophers lost two if I remember correctly....And I believe both Battle and Cooper are having better years statistically than Rohde.

3. Henley

Edit - it makes sense for a player to trade up from the Summit League. Why would players getting a lot of minutes for a B1G team want to leave?

Last edited:

MN should play ST Thomas every year. Nothing to lose it would be a fun game. I’d even do a 2 for 1 with them

How has JOJ played against any real teams (I give him credit for a good game against Nebraska, but they are still a bad P5 team) - against San Fran, Ohio State and MIZZOU he put up *8,4,7 points in no particular order* - no team is clamoring for that kind of low level production. These other games against sisters of the blind don’t matter as they are essentially D2 schools. He’s done nothing against real schools

Rhode starts as a true sophomore for one of the best teams in the country. He will have low stats as the a defensive team which doesn’t score much…everyone knows this is their strength…and their weakness, has been for years

There is no "rivalry" with St Thomas. Reusse should use his platform to blast the University of Minnesota for embarrassing itself by finishing below an actual rival in Wisconsin in the B1G standings for two decades straight and falling way behind even Iowa in the last decade. That's what actual followers of Minnesota basketball are annoyed about not some supposed rivalry with a 2nd year D1 team out of the Summit League.

This is especially rich from Reusse who would have one of three reactions from said rivalry game: 1. Praise the Tommies for keeping it close against the Gophers 2. Mock the Gophers for soundly beating the Tommies and point out they never do that against their peers 3. Mock the Gophers for losing to the Tommies and continue to bring up that game for the rest of his life.

There is no "rivalry" with St Thomas. Reusse should use his platform to blast the University of Minnesota for embarrassing itself by finishing below an actual rival in Wisconsin in the B1G standings for two decades straight and falling way behind even Iowa in the last decade. That's what actual followers of Minnesota basketball are annoyed about not some supposed rivalry with a 2nd year D1 team out of the Summit League.

This is especially rich from Reusse who would have one of three reactions from said rivalry game: 1. Praise the Tommies for keeping it close against the Gophers 2. Mock the Gophers for soundly beating the Tommies and point out they never do that against their peers 3. Mock the Gophers for losing to the Tommies and continue to bring up that game for the rest of his life.
The 2nd reaction doesn't make any sense, the other two are obvious reactions that everyone would have because it would be an upset. The first reaction that everyone will have is that it was a fun game and good to see the barn a little more lively. Hopefully the beginning of a great rivalry.

Because the gophers are so good..,? How will they finish in the B10 (projections have us finishing near the bottom *3rd year in a row). At least they go out and play teams. St Thomas isn’t scared of losing, they want the opportunity to compete, whereas the gophers are scared to compete and CBJ wants to save his job with a paper strong win-loss record that may fool non-basketball people, but people who know basketball understand they are essentially beating The Sister’s of the Blind game over game (Nebraska was a okay victory of a bottom level B10 team)
Insightful

Per the Nielsen rankings, the Twin Cities is the 20th DMA (Designated Market Area) in the country; the 20th comes from an article in the Athletic (see below). Not to get too technical😉🤣, but the Nielsen rankings are the definitions advertisers use when buying media in markets, I know this as I spent five years selling OOH (Out of Home) Media in NYC to some of the largest advertising firms in the country, Nielsen is the company which pioneered the TV ratings and defined DMAs, which is still what the industry uses.

https://theathletic.com/5128851/202...-lewis-brooks-lee/?source=user_shared_articleTwins mailbag: Joe Mauer’s first ballot, Royce Lewis’ workload and Brooks Lee’s timeline

Using market sizes as defined by Nielsen, the Twins rank 20th out of 30 teams.
If the Twins rank 20th out of 30 MLB teams, doesn't that make Minneapolis/St Paul 15 or 16 in the United States?

- Toronto is Canada
- New York Mets/Yankees share the same market
- California Angels/Los Angeles Dodgers share the same market
- Chicago Cubs/White Sox share the same market
- San Francisco Giants/Oakland Athletics share the same market (for now)

If the Twins rank 20th out of 30 MLB teams, doesn't that make Minneapolis/St Paul 15 or 16 in the United States?

- Toronto is Canada
You beat me to it. The Twin Cities MSA is 16th in the country, between Seattle at 15th, and Tampa at 17th. The most interesting MSA in that list is the Inland Empire in California at 12th.

- Toronto is Canada
Yes, you are correct and so was Soggy in his original post; alas, my desire to rebuke my Gopherhole foil, lead me to not make the correct calculations which you did. I was attempting to mock his intelligence and instead did so to myself.

I was wrong and childish to deliver such a volley and received “my just desserts 🍨.”

You beat me to it. The Twin Cities MSA is 16th in the country, between Seattle at 15th, and Tampa at 17th. The most interesting MSA in that list is the Inland Empire in California at 12th.

Thanks. Also, just in terms of MLB, I wasn't sure if Baltimore is combined with Washington, DC or if there are other markets without a franchise that are bigger (ie San Antonio/Austin, TX or Charlotte, NC) than the Twin Cities.

since several posters brought up fan interest - or the lack of it in the Twins Cities market --

I submit that if the Gophers played St. Thomas, that matchup would create more fan interest as compared to most of the Gophers' non-conference games.

it would almost certainly get more media coverage than a typical non-conf game.

at this point, anything that gets fans and the media talking about Gopher basketball is a positive.

since several posters brought up fan interest - or the lack of it in the Twins Cities market --

I submit that if the Gophers played St. Thomas, that matchup would create more fan interest as compared to most of the Gophers' non-conference games.

it would almost certainly get more media coverage than a typical non-conf game.

at this point, anything that gets fans and the media talking about Gopher basketball is a positive.
Very true - Pat, of course, also likes to stir the pot whenever possible. I never understood his enmity towards the U.

I get, at least I think I do🥴, what the approach is for the team this season - build up their confidence and allow them to jell with the non-conference schedule and hopefully it bears fruit when it’s B10 time. Bearing fruit to me would be 8+ wins in the conference - there’s a good chance it won’t work, but we’ve already got one of those Ws and with the conference being down this year, it could work.

If it does, I expect we’re on our way to respectability.

Top Bottom