Reusse: AD announcement Tuesday (Maturi to retire?)

i brought this up over at scout and i know its not the big name hire that most gopher fans want, but what about bob nielson?

i mean, two division ii national championships in football and one in hockey. there are not many gopher fans who would imagine a national title for hockey in minnesota and it not being the gophers.

i am not advocating it, just wondering what other people might think.

Not sure Nielson would get a ringing endorsement from his current direct reports...;)

Marc Trestman or Mike Hohensee.

New Gopher A.D.? Maybe Michelle Bachman?.........................

Just kidding. She's kinda cute for an older broad but would probably get us in trouble again! She can just stick to politics! Sorry Michelle. :clap::horse::cheer:

station19,

Your take could very well be the correct one. Mona does care a lot about the U (graduate and long time supporter) and may very well be interested in the position. Body language is so important in communication, which, of course, is lacking when listening to only audio presentations. Your take is very plausible and probably the correct one!

As you said, good thread and with good comments.

Go Gophers!!

Rog,

Sid suggested Dave Mona this morning on the Sports Huddle. Dave laughed when Sid said his name. (Mona sounded as though he wasn't interested, however, you never know . . . people like to be asked.)

Go Gophers!!

If Mona became AD, Sid would crap his Depends from just thinking about all the scoops he'd get from his "Close and Personal Friend."

Dave Mona is NO Moe. I'd rather bring back Tom Moe. Mona has been Sid's straight man for entirely too long. He is the guy who introduces the new AD at the thousand dollar a plate banquet.

Sorry, it would be pretty hard to take Mona seriously.

His tag-a-long gig with b(s)jm pretty much kept him in the
public relations consultant role. He should stick to being an officer
in Alumni Association.

This time the U of M needs a serious Football Man...OR a guy who is much more than just a cheerleader OR a 30 or 40 year Twin Cities Sports Media person.

Dave Mona is a good man, but he is NOT going to be a Football Program Builder who will be the face and the brains behind Golden Gopher Revenue Sports for the next ten to fifteen years.

He has pretty much built himself into a Twin Cities sport media personality and a chamber of commerce type of public relations consultant.

As far as local guys go...Nanne is much more the type to build the revenue sports into the cash cows that they NEED to be. He has a bit more of an "edge" to him that just hollers: "...we ARE going to compete..."

; 0 )

Just kidding. She's kinda cute for an older broad but would probably get us in trouble again! She can just stick to politics! Sorry Michelle. :clap::horse::cheer:

I'm sure if Bachman were to be our new AD she would promise to get the ticket prices down to $2 per.:rolleyes:

I was driving and heard the caller say Dave Mona. I didn't get the impression he would be interested. I only know him from the radio and as a Gopher fan. I know he loves the U and trust he would do his best. IMO, absolutely would not want him for the job. Too much of an insider and part of the current network. Really think we need a visionary that can get our revenue sports to be top tier BT. He does not impress as the guy to do it at all.

FREE TRENT TUCKER. With a CFO as his right hand man to balance books and administrative costs, Trent would absolutely guide the public side of the ship in a grand and positive fashion.

I'm sure I'll get laughed out of here with that one but I don't care.

I would be extremely surprised if Mona would even be on the initial list of candidates. I'm pretty much with the poster who thinks it will be someone we've never heard of.

I would be extremely surprised if Mona would even be on the initial list of candidates. I'm pretty much with the poster who thinks it will be someone we've never heard of.

I think Kaler will turn to Mona to help with the search, though.

needs to be someone who doesn't have any pre-existing relationships with any U of M coaches and/or administrators. that way they are not afraid to make tough decisions when it comes to hiring or firing coaches and other administrators, if they are not getting the job done.

someone who will send pam borton and her femi-nazi, title IX contingent within the athletic department packing. ;-)

I think Kaler will turn to Mona to help with the search, though.

I think you're right and I have no problem with Mona being involved with the search. He knows Minnesota and he knows where the landmines are buried in the athletic department.

Apparently, to not have spat in Maturi's face seems to disqualify people from being the AD here.

b(s)jm both deserved and needed a lot more than just some simple face spatting directed his way for many of the incredibly bad moves he made. He should have been ditched and debussed LONG ago. The revenue sports have suffered too much for entirely too long under his directonless supervision.

; 0 (

b(s)jm both deserved and needed a lot more than just some simple face spatting directed his way for many of the incredibly bad moves he made. He should have been ditched and debussed LONG ago. The revenue sports have suffered too much for entirely too long under his directonless supervision.

; 0 (

Is there an echo in here?

New AD Candidates

My Candidates
Bob Bowlsby (current Stanford AD / Previous Iowa AD / Moorhead St. Grad)

Lou Nanne (the perfect hire -- probably no interest -- he would be terrific)

Mark Dienhart ( St. Thomas ) He never should have been let go before)

Glen Mason ( Football guy/Good Fundraiser/Much improved media skills )

Bob Stein ( Football guy/Attourney/Demonstrated Backer of Athletics/connected to Twin Cities alumni )

Don Shelby ( I love this suggestion - I think he could be terrific face for the Athletic Program -- great personality - could be terrific fundraiser )

Dave Mona ( I believe may get the job if he wants it) Great fundraiser/ media savy/ Knows how important the Football Program is for all other Athletic sports -- a very good hire)

Bob Nielsen (UMD Football Coach/Athletic Director) Has had terricic success in both football and hockey in the last several years - I think he deserves consideration )

; 0 (

Yes, yes, we know, not only should he be hanged, drawn and quartered, and his head put on a pike at the entry to the stadium, but all candidates for the job will be required to urinate on his grave or be rejected...

My Candidates

Bob Stein ( Football guy/Attourney/Demonstrated Backer of Athletics/connected to Twin Cities alumni )

Don Shelby ( I love this suggestion - I think he could be terrific face for the Athletic Program -- great personality - could be terrific fundraiser )

Dave Mona ( I believe may get the job if he wants it) Great fundraiser/ media savy/ Knows how important the Football Program is for all other Athletic sports -- a very good hire)

Bob Nielsen (UMD Football Coach/Athletic Director) Has had terricic success in both football and hockey in the last several years - I think he deserves consideration )

What a "KILLER SHOT" your top candidate would be! And Nanne, Dienhart and Mason would also be great choices!

Stein could be a possibility...and Shelby...would have a great presence.

Mona and Nielsen would not capture my imagination as much as the top four candidates you would list.

But Bowlsby could be an incredible candidate!

Great list of candidates Uffda!

; 0 )

I'd like Maturi to retire, he's become a huge distraction. But the U is going to say a lot of nice things about Maturi when he retires and he's going to get the gold watch rather than being frog marched out of the building.

I was driving and heard the caller say Dave Mona. I didn't get the impression he would be interested. I only know him from the radio and as a Gopher fan. I know he loves the U and trust he would do his best. IMO, absolutely would not want him for the job. Too much of an insider and part of the current network. Really think we need a visionary that can get our revenue sports to be top tier BT. He does not impress as the guy to do it at all.

Exactly Butch.

We need a fresh face and a clean slate with no attachments to the current situation. My only exception to that would be Lou Nanne but the guy is 70 and I think we need to go younger. Or Dienhart but I doubt he has any interest after getting the axe and its best to keep the seperation.

Nielsen has my interest at this point.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the AD of a non-BCS D1 FBS school (BYU, Marshall, Rutgers, Boise State, etc.) I don't see the U hiring a guy who wasn't a head AD somewhere.

It will be an interesting search if it happens!

My Candidates

I'll take the top 2 on that list, but the rest can go to the trash. We need someone with experience/ an authority figure. Don Shelby for AD? Why not just go for the big boys and ask and see if Tom Brokaw wants the job....he's from SD...local enough right?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the AD of a non-BCS D1 FBS school (BYU, Marshall, Rutgers, Boise State, etc.) I don't see the U hiring a guy who wasn't a head AD somewhere.

It will be an interesting search if it happens!

Good point. Maturi made it clear--for good or ill--that Brewster's replacement was going to be someone who had been a head coach and the same logic may apply here.

Dienhart's a decent guy, but I find it hard to believe that the guy who was in the big chair (or near it) during the academic cheating scandal will be seriously considered for the position.

Top Bottom