Reusse: AD announcement Tuesday (Maturi to retire?)

theTurning

Reaction score
1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
Heard this: Announcement coming Tuesday on Gophers' AD situation.

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
Best guess (and only that): Maturi to retire next summer &.search for replacement to begin.

*crosses fingers...

If the announcement is being made now, I think it means he's retiring.

If true, any guesses as to his replacement? Will they try to hire someone with connections to the U or go national and pursue an experienced AD? What do you want to see in the next AD?

Go Gophers!!

I want the best candidate even if that means we poach Barry Alvarez. This is a big hire, new President, football coach, national champ basketball coach, women's basketball and men's hockey decisions, the baseball stadium, and practice facility. There's hope to make leaps forward in football and basketball, as well as challenges. No time to be insular.

I want the best candidate even if that means we poach Barry Alvarez. This is a big hire, new President, football coach, national champ basketball coach, women's basketball and men's hockey decisions, the baseball stadium, and practice facility. There's hope to make leaps forward in football and basketball, as well as challenges. No time to be insular.

I doubt it would be Barry, but I agree with your basic sentiment. No time to go low rent.

I'll probably get flambed and I'm not saying Maturi didn't make some pretty big mistakes, but it's important to remember where things were when he took over. Top-to-bottom, I think the athletic program is in good shape other than on-the-field results (and that is extremely important) and the new guy should be able to build on a fairly solid administrative foundation. No question the on-the-field results have been very disappointing.

Over/under number of threads talking about dungy as the AD is 18.5

Do you suppose

any other school in the BIG has more present and former Head coaches in football and basketball on the payroll than little Joel does? Spare me his accomplishments, add up up the dollar value of his screw ups( not even counting Jimmy Williams) and he should owe us money upon his departure. In over his head, period.

Bud Grant. Then if Kill doesn't work out, we have the inside track with Mike Grant! BRILLIANT!

My Predictions:

- Most GopherHolers will not have heard of the new AD.

- One of the final candidates for AD will be a woman.

- Most GopherHolers will not like who the new AD is.

Someone who meets all the qualifications is:

DAVE MONA !!!!

Now is the time for everyone that has criticized Matrui to put in their resumes because clearly they should be AD

Don Shelby IF Lou Nanne won't take the job...

; 0 )

Rog,

Sid suggested Dave Mona this morning on the Sports Huddle. Dave laughed when Sid said his name. (Mona sounded as though he wasn't interested, however, you never know . . . people like to be asked.)

Go Gophers!!

It seems that Kaler is really engaged in the athletics department and not afraid to make some tough decisions. He just mentioned about a month ago that he would be discussing Joel's future soon, and it looks like he's not going to waste any time letting people know what that decision is.

For the first time since I can remember, I like the leadership coming from the President. Now let's just hope he makes the right call on the next AD...

And just to throw out a name, I like the idea of Peter Najarian... if it's not Lou Holtz.

I don't know who it could be.

But I do know that, as usual, I will be applying.

I've been rejected for the Head Coaching positions in Football and Basketball.

I don't have an Athletic Director rejection letter on the wall yet.

I HAVE A VISION.

Now is the time for everyone that has criticized Matrui to put in their resumes because clearly they should be AD
People who say stuff like this on message boards.

It is possible to recognize someone doing a bad job without being able to do a better job yourself.
That's like saying you can't insult an electrician for messing up your wiring without being able to wire it better yourself. Or telling someone they can't say they dislike the taste of the food unless they are a good cook.

Just idiotic

Chris Voelz, just for the meltdown that would follow on GopherHole.

People who say stuff like this on message boards.

It is possible to recognize someone doing a bad job without being able to do a better job yourself.
That's like saying you can't insult an electrician for messing up your wiring without being able to wire it better yourself. Or telling someone they can't say they dislike the taste of the food unless they are a good cook.

Just idiotic
It was a joke...

*crosses fingers...

I have been saving a bottle of single malt for a special occasion for ~ 3 months, and just about cracked it out of boredom last week. If this presser IS about Maturi's retirement/departure, I will be drinking a celebratory finger (or 6!) that evening on what will be a great, great, great day for all Gopher fans!

Please let this be true.

Amen

I have been saving a bottle of single malt for a special occasion for ~ 3 months, and just about cracked it out of boredom last week. If this presser IS about Maturi's retirement/departure, I will be drinking a celebratory finger (or 6!) that evening on what will be a great, great, great day for all Gopher fans!

Please let this be true.

Amen

If there was ever an occasion for a generous pour of single malt, this would be it. I agree that it's time for Joel to go. He's done some good things, especially pertaining to off-the-field results. I think a lot of people have forgotten (or are blissfully unaware) of how dysfunctional and mismanaged the athletic department was when Joel came on board. And he had a major role in making TCF a reality.

That said, he made some biblically bad coaching hires. And while he may have lucked into a good hire with Kill (I think so), Kill certainly wasn't his first choice, and the hiring process was a textbook example of mismanaging expectations.

I agree with other posters on what the list of finalists will look like. I think the profile they should be looking for would be an AD with a PROVEN record of winning at a BCS conference school. And while I would throw up in my mouth a little bit if they hired Alvarez, he's got the type of resume we need.

Rog,

Sid suggested Dave Mona this morning on the Sports Huddle. Dave laughed when Sid said his name. (Mona sounded as though he wasn't interested, however, you never know . . . people like to be asked.)Go Gophers!!

I was listening to that as well. In no way can I summarize as well as you, but my take was a little different. My take was that Mona was somewhat blushing/embarassed by the comment and was interested.

Good thread

Please no one from savegopherfootball.com

If we can't get Barry, then we can settle for Chad, right?

Kidding aside, whoever gets the job is going to have their plate full - eight-course-dinner-style. Being a band alum, I appreciated Maturi's influence on the enormous improvements in the marching band facilties, etc. But when it came down to directing athletics, he's come up short (probably the 13834th time mentioned on this board). Who's next? I guess I feel like it should be someone who actually graduated from U, but a Barry-like hire might not be a bad idea.

i brought this up over at scout and i know its not the big name hire that most gopher fans want, but what about bob nielson?

i mean, two division ii national championships in football and one in hockey. there are not many gopher fans who would imagine a national title for hockey in minnesota and it not being the gophers.

i am not advocating it, just wondering what other people might think.

Top Bottom