Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went down to the press conference with my nephew. We approached the outside door to be greeted by a De La Salle admin who asked our affiliation, I proudly said "U of MN." He said, "I'm sorry you are not allowed in here." He even told us to leave. I feel completely misled by Reid's poor handling of this situation. I do not wish failure upon Reid, but I sure as he$$ don't wish him success.

I was there as well... Pretty sad to see all those people who came for his "open to the public announcement"... Me and my friend ended up sneaking in a side door and even made it into the room where all the media was only to be kicked out right before he announced. Pretty sad, especially considering there were little kids out there freezing waiting to go inside. At least tell us the decision had been changed & was not open to the public.

I was there as well... Pretty sad to see all those people who came for his "open to the public announcement"... Me and my friend ended up sneaking in a side door and even made it into the room where all the media was only to be kicked out right before he announced. Pretty sad, especially considering there were little kids out there freezing waiting to go inside. At least tell us the decision had been changed & was not open to the public.

Where was it stated that it was "open to the public"? Reidi's tweet may have implied that but it was not explicitly stated. His tweet can be interpreted different ways.

Where was it stated that it was "open to the public"? Reidi's tweet may have implied that but it was not explicitly stated. His tweet can be interpreted different ways.

His tweet? It was out there for a week. There was huge buzz...people of all stripes on social media (including Reid's twitter account) were talking about coming. He created the buzz storm and then changed the plan at the last minute and didn't tell anyone.

If he would have tweeted that the school moved it to the media room and the announcement wasn't open to the public because of safety issues...these people would have stayed home. He didn't. So you can say what you want about the original tweet, but it wasn't news to anyone that there were fans coming to the announcement. It was poorly handled by Reid and his family and it disrespected the Gopher fans who were invited and then turned away at the whims of a family that clearly loved the attention but not the U.

Time to move forward, folks. Travis is going to Stanford.

Game 2 of Gophers season tomorrow night.

Could you give us a list of items that are acceptable topics for discussion? Thanks.

Point taken.

For starters, a topic where grown men (presumably) don't act like children because an 18-year-old decided not to attend their favorite school.

Point taken.

For starters, a topic where grown men (presumably) don't act like children because an 18-year-old decided not to attend their favorite school.

At heart, sports fandom is inherently childish. We're investing emotionally in a group of men throwing an orange leather and rubber ball around on a floor. Might want to be a BIT less judgmental, Mr. Pot.

At heart, sports fandom is inherently childish. We're investing emotionally in a group of men throwing an orange leather and rubber ball around on a floor. Might want to be a BIT less judgmental, Mr. Pot.

no. not even close.

Like many here on GH I have followed this quite closely here and other news sources. After thinking about this for a few days now, I firmly believe Reid had made up his mind to commit to the U but then changed his mind. I believe the parents were the main reason for the change. Just a gut feeling.

I think you're right.

So I take it that you don't believe Reid when he said he chose Stanford because of the school 1st? His brother turned down Northwestern and other top mid-major programs to go to Harvard. JS.

That is correct. The academic differences in my opinion are marginal compared to the practical impact of attending a school and being a college hoops star there, considering that once he gets done playing pro basketball - and yes he is going to play pro basketball somewhere for several years first so basically kids who are top-50 recruits are choosing where to have their basketball apprenticeship - he's probably going to go back to the area where he went to college to try to find his first job after playing, and the notoriety he gets from playing college basketball is going to be the first and foremost reason he gets his second career with his academic credentials being only an underlying requirement as opposed to the factor that separates him and other candidates. So no I don't buy for a second that a top-50 recruit like Travis legitimately finds minor academic superiority to be a decisive factor, because I don't buy that any top-50 recruit who is going to play pro ball thinks like that. His brother obviously was not a top-50 recruit, and Harvard is a better basketball program than Northwestern anyway.

That is correct. The academic differences in my opinion are marginal compared to the practical impact of attending a school and being a college hoops star there, considering that once he gets done playing pro basketball - and yes he is going to play pro basketball somewhere for several years first so basically kids who are top-50 recruits are choosing where to have their basketball apprenticeship - he's probably going to go back to the area where he went to college to try to find his first job after playing, and the notoriety he gets from playing college basketball is going to be the first and foremost reason he gets his second career with his academic credentials being only an underlying requirement as opposed to the factor that separates him and other candidates. So no I don't buy for a second that a top-50 recruit like Travis legitimately finds minor academic superiority to be a decisive factor, because I don't buy that any top-50 recruit who is going to play pro ball thinks like that. His brother obviously was not a top-50 recruit, and Harvard is a better basketball program than Northwestern anyway.

Go back and look at the Rivals top 50 over the past 10 years. Only 5-10 at most per class makes an impact in the NBA. The rest either don't make it or fizzle out after a year or two. Reid has a very slim chance of making it in the pros to begin with, not to mention he is very undersized to to play the 4 in the NBA. Based on those odds why wouldn't you choose the better academic institution in a warmer climate?

Go back and look at the Rivals top 50 over the past 10 years. Only 5-10 at most per class makes an impact in the NBA. The rest either don't make it or fizzle out after a year or two. Reid has a very slim chance of making it in the pros to begin with, not to mention he is very undersized to to play the 4 in the NBA. Based on those odds why wouldn't you choose the better academic institution in a warmer climate?

FWIW a first round pick get guaranteed money. So even if he doesn't make an impact or fizzles out, would have presumably have enough money to go get that degree from a warmer climate if he really wanted it. Even a European contract would pay well enough to afford college at Stanford.

It is more of an insurance policy were he to have a career ending/NBA threatening injury in college I would say.

What does making an impact in the NBA have to do with playing pro ball? All first rounders get 3 year guaranteed contracts and it is a hell of a lot more than any kid from Stanford with a BS in Econ will earn. If he isn't in the NBA he is playing on a top Euro League Team, he still makes a couple hundred grand a year, which again is a butt load more than what he makes in his first year of any job with a degree from Stanford. Truth be told, if he is going to really have the advantages of that Stanford undergrad degree, he has to go to grad school. So after he gets done in basketball he goes to grad school. Maybe he gets the grades and gets into Harvard or Yale B School and has a great career in business. But this kid got a 29 on his ACT. I got a 29 and I was still drunk from the party the night before. He doesn't have the chops for Harvard and probably wouldn't have gotten into Stanford if he couldn't play ball. So maybe he does 4 at Stanford with a 3.8 or better and gets into a prime B school after his playing days are done...but more than likely he graduates with a 2.8 and is at Carlson after 2 years in the D-League, a couple of 14 day contracts and 1 more year in Greece...which is what happens to 6'7 PFs that can't shoot the 3. And like I said, I hope the guy in Mpls. that he interviews with was standing outside DLS with his 9 year old kid when the door was shut in his face so he can tell Mr. Travis to pound sand with his Stanford Diploma. (Sorry, I just couldn't stop with this one...was actually laughing to myself as I wrote this. Feel free to get on a soap box and tell me I should be embarrassed for talking about a 17 year old)

What does making an impact in the NBA have to do with playing pro ball? All first rounders get 3 year guaranteed contracts and it is a hell of a lot more than any kid from Stanford with a BS in Econ will earn. If he isn't in the NBA he is playing on a top Euro League Team, he still makes a couple hundred grand a year, which again is a butt load more than what he makes in his first year of any job with a degree from Stanford. Truth be told, if he is going to really have the advantages of that Stanford undergrad degree, he has to go to grad school. So after he gets done in basketball he goes to grad school. Maybe he gets the grades and gets into Harvard or Yale B School and has a great career in business. But this kid got a 29 on his ACT. I got a 29 and I was still drunk from the party the night before. He doesn't have the chops for Harvard and probably wouldn't have gotten into Stanford if he couldn't play ball. So maybe he does 4 at Stanford with a 3.8 or better and gets into a prime B school after his playing days are done...but more than likely he graduates with a 2.8 and is at Carlson after 2 years in the D-League, a couple of 14 day contracts and 1 more year in Greece...which is what happens to 6'7 PFs that can't shoot the 3. And like I said, I hope the guy in Mpls. that he interviews with was standing outside DLS with his 9 year old kid when the door was shut in his face so he can tell Mr. Travis to pound sand with his Stanford Diploma. (Sorry, I just couldn't stop with this one...was actually laughing to myself as I wrote this. Feel free to get on a soap box and tell me I should be embarrassed for talking about a 17 year old)

Another incorrect post ...The initial term of an NBA rookie contract is two years.

Another incorrect post ...The initial term of an NBA rookie contract is two years.

My apologies...old CBA, new CBA. You are correct, it is two years with team options for year 3 & 4. Which means absolutely nothing in the example I gave. But thank you for being the post police...lord knows we need more Narcs in this world.

If you're trying to combat the people on high horses, you'll be fighting all day. Gopherhole is apparently well-populated with white knights eager to demonstrate their moral superiority. I wouldn't waste the energy.

Point taken, jmag.

This. If recruiting is the lifeblood of any program - and it is - then yes, we DO give more than a crap where 18-year-olds decide to go to school. And we care whether they make baskets, get rebounds, win games. If someone's uncomfortable caring what young adults do and how they perform, then maybe following college athletics isn't for them.

This really seems more than likely...

but more than likely he graduates with a 2.8 and is at Carlson after 2 years in the D-League, a couple of 14 day contracts and 1 more year in Greece...which is what happens to 6'7 PFs that can't shoot the 3.

Dude, do you realize that a guy like Reid Travis can make near $150,000 a year playing basketball overseas for like 10 years? I am being very specific in not saying NBA in my assertions that he will play pro basketball. Even if he got a Stanford degree, he's not going to be using it for about 10 years because his pro basketball career (even one that is likely overseas) will almost certainly pay him more than any job he could get based on his academic merits having graduated in whatever at Stanford.

And BTW, I am still hoping someone will try to dig up an example of an ESPN top-50 prospect going 2,000 miles away to a program that had not made the NCAA tournament in five seasons at the point when the prospect signed with the school. Those are some very measurable and comparable criteria that I don't think will be met by anyone else, and that is even removing the kicker that the coach is on the hot seat.

And BTW, I am still hoping someone will try to dig up an example of an ESPN top-50 prospect going 2,000 miles away to a program that had not made the NCAA tournament in five seasons at the point when the prospect signed with the school. Those are some very measurable and comparable criteria that I don't think will be met by anyone else, and that is even removing the kicker that the coach is on the hot seat.

So, I took your challenge. I looked at the ESPN Top 50 for the last 5 years and found 2 instances (both in 2010) of Top 50 recruits signing with a team that hadn't made the NCAA in the previous 5 years (Marshall & Central Michigan) and both times, it was a hometown kid. There is no other instance of going outside of your hometown, much less across two time zones to play basketball for a school that hasn't been to the tournament in the previous 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom