Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morris top 250 ESPN 147 rivals not top 100. Mason was good but did not dominate peach jam... 3rd scorer on team 37% from field and 2.3 assists. Martin dropped after a lackluster summer at AAU ball. If Pitino does not grab a 5 star this class will rank near the bottom of the Big Ten. Ok to give Pitino a pass this year but next year he needs to hit a home run on the recruiting trail.

I think most would settle for a ground rule double.

Open Letter to Reid Travis

Dear Reid,

I guess you could say Gopher fans responded a little bit negatively to your decision. But can you resent them for that? Most of the time people react in the worst of ways to the people they actually care about because the emotional stakes are a little bit higher. Is it so bad that so many Gopher fans reacted to your decision the way they did? I didn't see too many Stanford fans applauding your decision. That's just what it is though: your decision. Growing up a loyal Gopher fan I couldn't wait until the day I could attend the U of M and watch the Barn erupt on any given cold winter night. Yet when decision time came I was thrown a curveball. I never thought I would get into any schools academically rated higher than the U of M, and then I got a letter of acceptance from UW-Madison, where I currently go. Looking back I don't regret passing on the chance to go to the U because Madison opened doors for me that the U never would've, much like Stanford might for you. I had never been out of the 612 before I left for Madison. Minneapolis was all I knew, and so leaving was a chance for me to grow as a person. Yet I never go to many Badger basketball games (I was present for the buzzer beater vs. Michigan last year, best game I've ever been to), because it doesn't do it for me. The Kohl center isn't the Barn. The Badgers aren't the Gophers. And no one has any MINNESOTA pride. So I guess my rhetorical question is this: Will people in Palo Alto know about Broadway Pizza when you brag about how great there food is? Will those snobby San Francisco kids (Trust me I know a few) degrade the place your from and tell you Oakland probably has more going on? Will there even be more than 6,000 people at your games? Will your friends back home stay up until 1am to watch you play Oregon State to the wire? Will people in Minnesota even care who you are when you land that business job in San Francisco or Boston or Dallas? You don't do it for other people. You did it for you, just like I did. But sometime, somewhere, you're going to realize that no city compares to Minneapolis. This isn't supposed to be a shot at you, because you DID handle your situation with class, and you ARE a smart young man, and you WILL do great things. But you could've done those great things for YOUR city. Was the resume boost really better than the glory? Best of luck at Stanford, I do hope you succeed. When you and Tyus come back to Minnesota to raise your families though, just don't wear Duke or Stanford gear to the Barn when you take your kids to games. We don't need anyone else to tell us that there are better options, we know it isn't true.

Proud Gopher fan, UW-Madison student, future Minneapolis resident, and a bigger fan of Josh Martin (Bothel, WA), than Reid Travis (Minneapolis, MN)

Again, best of luck. No hard feelings.

Dear Reid,

I guess you could say Gopher fans responded a little bit negatively to your decision. But can you resent them for that? Most of the time people react in the worst of ways to the people they actually care about because the emotional stakes are a little bit higher. Is it so bad that so many Gopher fans reacted to your decision the way they did? I didn't see too many Stanford fans applauding your decision. That's just what it is though: your decision. Growing up a loyal Gopher fan I couldn't wait until the day I could attend the U of M and watch the Barn erupt on any given cold winter night. Yet when decision time came I was thrown a curveball. I never thought I would get into any schools academically rated higher than the U of M, and then I got a letter of acceptance from UW-Madison, where I currently go. Looking back I don't regret passing on the chance to go to the U because Madison opened doors for me that the U never would've, much like Stanford might for you. I had never been out of the 612 before I left for Madison. Minneapolis was all I knew, and so leaving was a chance for me to grow as a person. Yet I never go to many Badger basketball games (I was present for the buzzer beater vs. Michigan last year, best game I've ever been to), because it doesn't do it for me. The Kohl center isn't the Barn. The Badgers aren't the Gophers. And no one has any MINNESOTA pride. So I guess my rhetorical question is this: Will people in Palo Alto know about Broadway Pizza when you brag about how great there food is? Will those snobby San Francisco kids (Trust me I know a few) degrade the place your from and tell you Oakland probably has more going on? Will there even be more than 6,000 people at your games? Will your friends back home stay up until 1am to watch you play Oregon State to the wire? Will people in Minnesota even care who you are when you land that business job in San Francisco or Boston or Dallas? You don't do it for other people. You did it for you, just like I did. But sometime, somewhere, you're going to realize that no city compares to Minneapolis. This isn't supposed to be a shot at you, because you DID handle your situation with class, and you ARE a smart young man, and you WILL do great things. But you could've done those great things for YOUR city. Was the resume boost really better than the glory? Best of luck at Stanford, I do hope you succeed. When you and Tyus come back to Minnesota to raise your families though, just don't wear Duke or Stanford gear to the Barn when you take your kids to games. We don't need anyone else to tell us that there are better options, we know it isn't true.

Proud Gopher fan, UW-Madison student, future Minneapolis resident, and a bigger fan of Josh Martin (Bothel, WA), than Reid Travis (Minneapolis, MN)

Again, best of luck. No hard feelings.

Need a poem from the guy who writes them on the site across the street!!!

Just let it go. Stanford is a good school too. It's not like we lost him to Iowa or Nicholls state. We have a good class coming in so let's cheer on Richard and move on. Some kids want education, some kids want parties, and some kids want to make it to the NBA. Every kid's different. Travis is making a good business decision for his life and I wish him the best. I suggest you do the same.

I'd hate to see what happens when a girl says she isn't interested after the 3rd date to you.

Signed,

A grown up man

Just let it go. Stanford is a good school too. It's not like we lost him to Iowa or Nicholls state. We have a good class coming in so let's cheer on Richard and move on. Some kids want education, some kids want parties, and some kids want to make it to the NBA. Every kid's different. Travis is making a good business decision for his life and I wish him the best. I suggest you do the same.

I'd hate to see what happens when a girl says she isn't interested after the 3rd date to you.

Signed,

A grown up man

No, you're right. Grown men wish EVERYBODY the best. I hope you were as appalled as I was at the thousands of grown adults SHAMELESSLY rooting against Penn State at the Bank today! Imagine! Grown adults wanting young student athletes to not fulfill their athletic dreams? Disgusting.

Reid who?

Wish I could block this thread the same way I blocked GopherProf.

A real man doesn't go to a girls home (the barn) a few days before prom.... A man doesn't hang out with her parents(Professors) a few days before prom... or tells this girl he dropped other girl(duke) from prom list.... Then says hey girl come over to my house (high school) so I can tell you I am going with other girl(Stanford) to prom... yeah I don't think you girl will take it very well...

But more power to you!

I don't root against any high school kids.. once they sign letter to play D1 ball guess what you are now free game... I am a gophers fan not a Reid travis fan... Your not one of us u are against us I am against you!

Just like I am not a fan of Cole Aldrich... Not good enough for us then I am not good enough for u!

A chance to be a home town hero! lost your chance now u are just another player

Morris top 250 ESPN 147 rivals not top 100. Mason was good but did not dominate peach jam... 3rd scorer on team 37% from field and 2.3 assists. Martin dropped after a lackluster summer at AAU ball. If Pitino does not grab a 5 star this class will rank near the bottom of the Big Ten. Ok to give Pitino a pass this year but next year he needs to hit a home run on the recruiting trail.

Correct. I'm not going after Pitino for having a mediocre recruiting class this season. He didn't get a shot at recruiting these guys for very long. His real recruiting test starts next season. I'm not disappointed, but I'm not heartened. If we want to win big, then we'll need to do better than this.

The-Real-Truth said:
I was waiting for a post like this. Yes, it was Tubby's mistake that cost many recruits for Richard. It is also Tubby's fault that Viks are playing like this. People, please get a clue. Some here are saying that Richard didn't have enough time. Tubby had the same amount of time in his 1st year to bring a top 25 class. Richard is not a proven coach. Until he wins here, big players won't come in. Stop making excuses. Being son of Rick doesn't cut it these days.

Chill out, I'm not here to start a Tubby flame-war.

My cousin heard directly from one of the Travises after Tubby was canned that they didn't like him because he didn't recruit the older brothers. I have no idea if or how much that played into Reid's decision, since that attitude certainly seemed from the public's perspective, to leave with Tubby. But someone asked the question of why the parents seemed to dislike the U, so I answered.

Regardless, it's hard to hate a kid for going to Stanford, I'm just bothered by the way it went down this week. I don't think it was intentional, but inviting the public to your announcement when it's obvious that only Gopher fans will be able to attend... then moving at the last second from the gym to the media room so that most of the fans are left standing in the hallway... that's a dick move. As I said, it's probably not intentional, and I suspect that he originally did plan on being a Gopher when he made the announcement, then switched to Stanford late. But the end result was pretty dickish.

I don't root against any high school kids.. once they sign letter to play D1 ball guess what you are now free game... I am a gophers fan not a Reid travis fan... Your not one of us u are against us I am against you!

Just like I am not a fan of Cole Aldrich... Not good enough for us then I am not good enough for u!

Fair enough.

I think you got this backwards...

I am not hating on Stanford, I just don't think they're a good enough basketball program for a player of Travis' caliber to go halfway across the country for. Find me another example of a player who is a top-50 recruit going to a school 2,000+ miles from his hometown and who hadn't made the NCAA tournament in five years whose coach is popping up on hot seat lists. I can't think of one.

Again, I'm not buying the academic justification here because Reid is going to be playing pro basketball somewhere and that is going to be his first career and the notoriety he gets from playing college ball may well be what helps him get his first job after basketball and drives his success in it. I think it is extremely rare for top-50 recruits go two thousand miles away to struggling programs whose coaches are in jeopardy of being fired at the end of the season. I think it's fair game to be critical of a decision of a top-50 prospect to go so far for a struggling program whose coach is on the hot seat considering the rarity of it. If Reid were a lesser recruit, I wouldn't be as critical, but he had his pick of many programs in better shape than Stanford - some of which were much closer to home.

I am not hating on Stanford, I just don't think they're a good enough basketball program for a player of Travis' caliber to go halfway across the country for. Find me another example of a player who is a top-50 recruit going to a school 2,000+ miles from his hometown and who hadn't made the NCAA tournament in five years whose coach is popping up on hot seat lists. I can't think of one.

Again, I'm not buying the academic justification here because Reid is going to be playing pro basketball somewhere and that is going to be his first career and the notoriety he gets from playing college ball may well be what helps him get his first job after basketball and drives his success in it. I think it is extremely rare for top-50 recruits go two thousand miles away to struggling programs whose coaches are in jeopardy of being fired at the end of the season. I think it's fair game to be critical of a decision of a top-50 prospect to go so far for a struggling program whose coach is on the hot seat considering the rarity of it. If Reid were a lesser recruit, I wouldn't be as critical, but he had his pick of many programs in better shape than Stanford - some of which were much closer to home.

You're the only one. And pro basketball is a possibility for Reid, not a guarantee. He's smart enough to realize this, which is why he chose Stanford. For academics.

It is the only hope that their coach gets fired. Then Travis can re-open his recruitment. Fingers crossed....

So I take it that you don't believe Reid when he said he chose Stanford because of the school 1st? His brother turned down Northwestern and other top mid-major programs to go to Harvard. JS.

So I take it that you don't believe Reid when he said he chose Stanford because of the school 1st? His brother turned down Northwestern and other top mid-major programs to go to Harvard. JS.

If Reid would have chose Harvard I would have believed this was all about academics.

Like many here on GH I have followed this quite closely here and other news sources. After thinking about this for a few days now, I firmly believe Reid had made up his mind to commit to the U but then changed his mind. I believe the parents were the main reason for the change. Just a gut feeling.

Like many here on GH I have followed this quite closely here and other news sources. After thinking about this for a few days now, I firmly believe Reid had made up his mind to commit to the U but then changed his mind. I believe the parents were the main reason for the change. Just a gut feeling.

I'm sure he appreciates your speculation and the trashing of his parents. Well done.

I'm sure he appreciates your speculation and the trashing of his parents. Well done.

Is it wrong for me to post my speculation? How is this trashing his parents? Would it be better if I just hoped he failed in his basketball career now that he chose a different school like others have done? Is it better if I hope the Stanford coach gets fired. Would it be better if I accused Reid of just stringing the U along?

Is it wrong for me to post my speculation? How is this trashing his parents? Would it be better if I just hoped he failed in his basketball career now that he chose a different school like others have done? Is it better if I hope the Stanford coach gets fired. Would it be better if I accused Reid of just stringing the U along?

I went down to the press conference with my nephew. We approached the outside door to be greeted by a De La Salle admin who asked our affiliation, I proudly said "U of MN." He said, "I'm sorry you are not allowed in here." He even told us to leave. I feel completely misled by Reid's poor handling of this situation. I do not wish failure upon Reid, but I sure as he$$ don't wish him success.

Go back and look at past NBA drafts, only a handful of players from each draft have any impact in the NBA. How many 6-7"/6-8" PFs make it in the NBA? Very few. The odds are stacked against Reid making the NBA and he knows it. This was 100% an academic decision.

Go around metro high schools and give kids who grew up in Minnesota the option to have a full ride to Stanford or have a full ride to stay home and go to the U. Stanford wins 99 out of 100.

Just stop already....your "high horse" is neck-deep in the mud. Station simply implied that his parents were probably involved in his decision to choose Stanford. Last time I checked, parents play a role in a helping their children make decisions regarding their future. At no point did Station imply that Reid's parents were "evil" so stop trying to add lighter fluid to fire.

Just stop already....your "high horse" is neck-deep in the mud. Station simply implied that his parents were probably involved in his decision to choose Stanford. Last time I checked, parents play a role in a helping their children make decisions regarding their future. At no point did Station imply that Reid's parents were "evil" so stop trying to add lighter fluid to fire.

If you're trying to combat the people on high horses, you'll be fighting all day. Gopherhole is apparently well-populated with white knights eager to demonstrate their moral superiority. I wouldn't waste the energy.

couldn't agree more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom