Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I was originally told that Looney's decision would not factor into Reid's decision and that they were going to pick the school that fit him best and it was down to Minnesota and stanford, with Reid leaning Minnesota and some in the family wanting him to go to stanford, we'll see if that holds up or if Duke somehow changes his mind in the next week

The plot thickens. Thanks for the updates, Guy.

No. Duke does great with big men. Duke simply doesn't play two big men together very well. Coach K puts plenty of big men in the NBA, and his main big man tends to score a lot.

Reid doesn't want to be the 2nd coming of zoubek or a plumlee.
they play four guards and have one dude run down missed shots.. if you are ranked 150th in the land, you'd take the offer.. Reid has higher goals than to be K's lap dog of missed shots.

not sure its been discussed: but why would Reid announce for Stanford or Duke on the day of the Gopher's home opener?

Seems like a classy guy from a classy family and program..

not sure its been discussed: but why would Reid announce for Stanford or Duke on the day of the Gopher's home opener?

Just playing devils advocate, but the blow of him going out of state might be lessened by the excitement of a new season for Gopher fans. It might deter some negative press.

Man, this has been repeated about 10 times already, plus you could have easily used google to check: Duke and Stanford play on November 8th too. As do a large number of teams.

For the love of.... It has been mentioned that Duke plays (on ESPNU) that night. Stanford plays Bucknell that night too!

Oops....Madcow beat me to it.

For the love of.... It has been mentioned that Duke plays (on ESPNU) that night. Stanford plays Bucknell that night too!

Oops....Madcow beat me to it.

he's saying this in reference to reid being from MN and announcing here i'm sure

For the love of.... It has been mentioned that Duke plays (on ESPNU) that night. Stanford plays Bucknell that night too! Oops....Madcow beat me to it.

I didn't take the original post to say minnesota had the only opening night in the country. I took it to mean Reid lives in Minneapolis and not Palo Alto or Durham. The local Papers and media will be focused on the Gophers that day. I read into the post as saying "why would Reid want to rain on the Gophers parade" that day. I think there is some merit to that thought. It's not the be all end all in terms of decisions. But it would be unfortunate timing. Nothing to crucify Reid for though.

Everyone take a breath! We have 7 more days!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QvMq2YZloZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't take the original post to say minnesota had the only opening night in the country. I took it to mean Reid lives in Minneapolis and not Palo Alto or Durham. The local Papers and media will be focused on the Gophers that day. I read into the post as saying "why would Reid want to rain on the Gophers parade" that day. I think there is some merit to that thought. It's not the be all end all in terms of decisions. But it would be unfortunate timing. Nothing to crucify Reid for though.

exactly...
this means a whole lot more here than in Palo Alto or Durham..
the Travis family has had 5 years to plan this.. can't believe they would overlook this detail..

if they haven't overlooked this, then Reid is a Gopher lock.

exactly...
this means a whole lot more here than in Palo Alto or Durham..
the Travis family has had 5 years to plan this.. can't believe they would overlook this detail..

if they haven't overlooked this, then Reid is a Gopher lock.

Gotchya, I hope your right.

I think we are reading way too much into the date he announces. Maybe he wanted his family there for the announcement and this date worked best. Maybe his school impacted his decision. Maybe the media impacted his decision. He's in the public eye locally, regardless if he picked the 8th, 15th, 22nd, or whatever.

I personally think that if he had his mind made up before yesterday's Looney decision, then he is coming to the Gophers.

On the other hand, if he is still wavering and Duke is still in the mix....the Looney decision was a bad break for the Gophers.

The Nov 8 announce date is not set in stone. After that was reported (via his dad's comment), he apparently clarified it to "sometime between the 8th and 15th."

From everything that's been published, I'd confidently guess he was a Gopher lean after visiting here, but that nothing's been firmly "decided" and Stanford or Duke still could possibly change his mind in the next week or so. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

If we get him, that would be awesome and I think it's a really great situation for him to thrive. I'd be really happy with our class at that point, and adding Vaughn later would make it epic. If we don't get him, very disappointing, but it still seems like we have a great shot at Illikainen and Ellenson (and maybe even Elijah) next year, and Vaughn this year. Just will make for a lonngggg wait.

I think we are reading way too much into the date he announces. Maybe he wanted his family there for the announcement and this date worked best. Maybe his school impacted his decision. Maybe the media impacted his decision. He's in the public eye locally, regardless if he picked the 8th, 15th, 22nd, or whatever.

I personally think that if he had his mind made up before yesterday's Looney decision, then he is coming to the Gophers.

On the other hand, if he is still wavering and Duke is still in the mix....the Looney decision was a bad break for the Gophers.

In additon to us focusing too much on the date of an announcement (agreed), I think we are falling into the trap of focusing on where other recruits end up. I think at the end of the day Reid won't care what recruits are where (meaning if another top 100 player in his position ends up at a school), but he will care about comfort, relationship with coach and what his heart says.

My gut says the Gophers are a draw.. home crowd, parents see games, local hero, etc. But its gonna be a long week and anything is possible. If he goes elsewhere, I will not be upset at him... as he at least gave us an official and is seriously considering the school

I still think Duke's likely, but feel a lot better about the Gophers' chances than I did a couple weeks ago. Cautiously optimistic. If Young Richard gets either Travis or Vaughn, in my book he's hit a home run in terms of the Big 3. Getting either one is gravy.

He actually was kind of a guard... How often did you see him bang in the post? I remember him shooting a lot of 3's. Which looks to be right since he finished 4th in most 3's attempted while playing 13 less games than the rest of the starters.

You're right, if a player shoots a lot of 3s he must be a guard.

In unrelated news, I'm excited for the T-Wolves starting backcourt this year of Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love....

You're right, if a player shoots a lot of 3s he must be a guard.

In unrelated news, I'm excited for the T-Wolves starting backcourt this year of Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love....

Way to ignore the point I made about him not playing in the post. Like another poster mentioned, Duke runs an offense that essentially features 4 perimeter three point shooters with a single big in the post. The post player does very little on offense other than setting screens and grabbing rebounds. Kelly was one of the 4 perimeter players, so yes, he was essentially a guard. It's not like he is even some world beater either. He'll be a scrub at the end of an NBA bench for the entirety of his career.

Why should it matter if the gophs play the day he announces? It has no impact on the game and it is insane to think that a player should try to avoid making is choice on the same day a team on his list is playing.

Everyone take a breath! We have 7 more days!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QvMq2YZloZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No one ever thanked you for this. Keep this one in your back pocket; Madcow can be a bit intense sometimes.

Why should it matter if the gophs play the day he announces? It has no impact on the game and it is insane to think that a player should try to avoid making is choice on the same day a team on his list is playing.

I am unsure on this, so fill me in, but doesn't ESPN or some news source ask any top 50 or 100 player that hasn't committed by a certain date to commit on national tv at a certain time? Or did reid actually choose this date?

I am unsure on this, so fill me in, but doesn't ESPN or some news source ask any top 50 or 100 player that hasn't committed by a certain date to commit on national tv at a certain time? Or did reid actually choose this date?

ESPN asked Reid to announce on November 15th. The November 8th date is coming from his dad, so Reid must've declined the ESPN thing and set that date.

I'm still confused to why Travis would want to commit to Stanford now when Johnny Dawkins is in a tournament or fired season.

Stanford is arguably the best school in the country, and it has big time athletics. If I was 18, and I could choose between Minnesota and Stanford I'd have a hard time choosing. Even though I believe it shouldn't matter where you go, it matters where you go. I went to the U of M, and so did all my aunts, uncles, parents, siblings, first cousins, and grandparents. My whole family. I never even applied to another school. But if Stanford offered me a full ride, I probably would have taken it over a full ride from Minnesota.

Stanford is arguably the best school in the country, and it has big time athletics. If I was 18, and I could choose between Minnesota and Stanford I'd have a hard time choosing. Even though I believe it shouldn't matter where you go, it matters where you go. I went to the U of M, and so did all my aunts, uncles, parents, siblings, first cousins, and grandparents. My whole family. I never even applied to another school. But if Stanford offered me a full ride, I probably would have taken it over a full ride from Minnesota.

C'mon man. Top hoops recruits like Reid almost never go to an out-of-state school where the coach is under duress unless that school is a blue blood program. Stanford is not a blue blood program. I can see Duke, I can't see Stanford beating out Minnesota for Reid.

The announcers tonight said that Reid was set to choose between Stanford and Minnesota. No mention of Duke. Was that a mistake on their part or is there new information?

The announcers tonight said that Reid was set to choose between Stanford and Minnesota. No mention of Duke. Was that a mistake on their part or is there new information?

I don't think they knew what they were talking about. They had a pretty lengthy discussion about Tyus removing us from his list, which we know isn't true (yet).

The Gopher All-Access announcers are not going to be people who have classified information that other more reputable reporters don't have. Likely just a mistake on their part!

I don't think they knew what they were talking about. They had a pretty lengthy discussion about Tyus removing us from his list, which we know isn't true (yet).

Tyus told @bobsansevere that the Gophers are officially out.

I didn't catch the game, but from my understanding, from a friend who is really close to the family, is that it is between Minnesota and Stanford, with Reid being a heavy Minnesota lean, but not too long after the Looney announcement, coach K gave Reid a call and talked for a significant time, so I wouldn't count time out completely out yet, Hard to count Duke out when it comes to convincing a recruit to commit to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom