Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looney to UCLA, Michael humphrey to Stanford

i was definitely surprised by looney, both just commited today

Josh Martin. He's already committed. We'll focus on Rashad after Reid makes a commitment.

Martin's not a "fallback," he is a good prospect regardless of whether we get Travis. And we are going after Rashad regardless, as well.

The 'fallback' to Travis probably is that 7 footer that's been mentioned a few times (Gueye or something like that, I forget).

It will be interesting to see if any of the 10 that currently are picking the Gophers now flip to Duke.

Well they were literally all wrong on Looney, and Travis has kept his recruitment just as quiet, so I'm not putting any stock in the crystal ball on him.

I believe Travis already know where he's going. He's a top 25 player. he shouldn't be threatened by anyone else's decision. You think Coach K is going to lose out on Looney then Coach K comes back on his knees? He's going to make his choice regardless of who commits to what school. Let's hope he see's that he's the Gophers #1 recruit and he would be the man and that Pitino already has good pieces to put around him. If that fails he can always fall back on being a local hero!

I wouldn't downplay Duke's chances too much now. It's apparent that Minnesota and Duke are VERY much in the race for Reid, and Stanford shouldn't be counted out either.

I don't get that Looney decision, has he watched a Steve Alford coached team before, it's an excruciating experience.

In predictable fashion Meyer is back on Duke bandwagon, personally if we're truly still in it at this point, he's coming here, otherwise it be like it is with Tyus IMO

Actually Wisconsin would be a better comparison since he didn't even take an official to Wisconsin. His last official was UCLA.

I don't think that's accurate, as I believe Tyus to Minnesota would have been a bigger surprise than Looney to UW. Kevon visited Madison in August with a few other high level prospects and there had been some buzz from local guys that UW was genuinely in the mix for Kevon of late. Everyone knew it was still an uphill battle but I don't recall hearing any of that positivity between Tyus and UM. It obviously doesn't matter now, and I wish Looney the best of luck, but it's definitely not what I expected.

I don't get that Looney decision, has he watched a Steve Alford coached team before, it's an excruciating experience.

As Andy Enfield said, "if you want to play slow, go to UCLA".

I don't think that's accurate, as I believe Tyus to Minnesota would have been a bigger surprise than Looney to UW. Kevon visited Madison in August with a few other high level prospects and there had been some buzz from local guys that UW was genuinely in the mix for Kevon of late. Everyone knew it was still an uphill battle but I don't recall hearing any of that positivity between Tyus and UM. It obviously doesn't matter now, and I wish Looney the best of luck, but it's definitely not what I expected.
I think everyone thought he was going else where. Tyus has been on campus somewhat recently as well. I'll concede that Looney had a fractionally better chance of landing at UW simply because of the Okafor factor. But at the end of thr day elite recruits don't commit to a local school when they take 5 officials outside the state.

In predictable fashion Meyer is back on Duke bandwagon, personally if we're truly still in it at this point, he's coming here, otherwise it be like it is with Tyus IMO

It is like it is with Tyus. He's going to Stanford.

No. Duke does great with big men. Duke simply doesn't play two big men together very well. Coach K puts plenty of big men in the NBA, and his main big man tends to score a lot.

I think great is an overstatement. Only PF/C with any future from the last 11 years is Miles Plumlee. Had a few 10-20 years ago (Boozer, Brand etc) but not much player development lately- just a bunch of benchwarmers and role players.

Tyus didn't visit, Travis took an official and has frequently been on campus

It won't matter in the end. Him not staying home may end up being a blessing in disguise with Pitino and the gang going after Elijah Thomas, Henry Ellenson and Illikainen.

Coach K called Reid Travis today and had about an half hour chat with him according to a friend who has close ties to the Travis family.

Coach K called Reid Travis today and had about an half hour chat with him according to a friend who has close ties to the Travis family.

So what's the deal with your last tidbit of inside info? Duke back in it?

I know people think its between Duke and Minnesota, but my source(hate saying that but don't know what else to call it) says its down to Minnesota and Stanford, and he also said that it seems like he is a "heavy Minnesota lean right now" with some member/members in the family preference being Stanford (he did not say what members). He said that the Travis family is not concerned with the decision of Looney. Also added that if there were odds on what school a recruit will pick , he would be comfortable putting a significant amount of money on Minnesota being the school Travis picks. Compared it to the odds of Amy Klobuchar winning re-election in 2012. "unless something crazy happens, he will be a gopher"

I will add that I trust this person's word a lot,he is very close to the Travis family, and everything he has told me to date has been accurate regarding Reid and his brother back when he was being recruited

Haven't heard anything new, still think he is leaning Minnesota, but you can tell Duke is an all out mode now for Travis after the Looney news we'll see if coach K can get him back on the Duke bandwagon

Haven't heard anything new, still think he is leaning Minnesota, but you can tell Duke is an all out mode now for Travis after the Looney news we'll see if coach K can get him back on the Duke bandwagon

You have to wonder if Travis has it in the back of his mind that he was Duke's Plan C at PF or something like that. I know that'd turn me off if I were being recruited. So maybe he wants a school that has always stuck with him and made him a #1 priority.

You have to wonder if Travis has it in the back of his mind that he was Duke's Plan C at PF or something like that. I know that'd turn me off if I were being recruited. So maybe he wants a school that has always stuck with him and made him a #1 priority.

well I was originally told that Looney's decision would not factor into Reid's decision and that they were going to pick the school that fit him best and it was down to Minnesota and stanford, with Reid leaning Minnesota and some in the family wanting him to go to stanford, we'll see if that holds up or if Duke somehow changes his mind in the next week

It is like it is with Tyus. He's going to Stanford.

You've been saying that since before Travis even took his official to Minnesota. There may be a 33% chance that this turns out to be correct after the fact, but as of right now I don't think you know anything.

I'm still confused to why Travis would want to commit to Stanford now when Johnny Dawkins is in a tournament or fired season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom