Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rene Pulley is an egotistical *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag who's too good for anyone/anything. Hey Rene, how about letting the kid speak for himself instead talking out of your @ss like you always do. Do everyone a favor and shut up for once. Please.

My guess is Pulley can get more of the best players to play for him if he can say that he sent X# of players to National Champion Y school and a bunch more to the schools that made the final four. For his own marketing purposes it doesn't help him if these players play at the U until the time the U consistently beats Duke, Mich St., Kansas and the like. It is surely about recruiting the top players for his program that he pushes them to go to the most programs with the most prestige. I doubt this has anything to do with the players' best interests but rather Pulley's best interest.

My guess is Pulley can get more of the best players to play for him if he can say that he sent X# of players to National Champion Y school and a bunch more to the schools that made the final four. For his own marketing purposes it doesn't help him if these players play at the U until the time the U consistently beats Duke, Mich St., Kansas and the like. It is surely about recruiting the top players for his program that he pushes them to go to the most programs with the most prestige. I doubt this has anything to do with the players' best interests but rather Pulley's best interest.

Yeah, I think you're spot on with this. Hopefully players like Travis are smart enough to not listen to Pulley when trying to make his decision.

ESPN called every top 25 kid that hasn't announced asking if they would do it nationally. Why wouldn't they? It's a cash cow for a week day advertiser compared to the regular programming.
It has nothing to do with where he's going. Lots of people will watch no matter the school of choice, it just doesn't matter to ESPN, what matters are ratings.

“Reid is probably going somewhere where he can get a great education and play at the highest level of basketball he can,” Pulley said. “When you’re going into it with an open mind like that, it really makes it difficult for Minnesota to compete."

Why in god's name would he say that? Why bash the local D1 institution like that? The Big Ten isn't the highest level of basketball? You can't get a great education at Minnesota? Pulley is inviting ridicule for saying things this absurd. Why would he even open his mouth?

I move in influential circles nationally in my profession. I'm always proud to tell people where I went to school, and people are always impressed with and respectful of the U wherever I go. The reason is that so many impressive and accomplished people have graduated from here and go on to make a big difference in the world. And this two-bit local yokel puts the university down. I've never seen the guy in person, but it would be hard not to slap him now if I did.

Why in god's name would he say that? Why bash the local D1 institution like that? The Big Ten isn't the highest level of basketball? You can't get a great education at Minnesota? Pulley is inviting ridicule for saying things this absurd. Why would he even open his mouth?

I move in influential circles nationally in my profession. I'm always proud to tell people where I went to school, and people are always impressed with and respectful of the U wherever I go. The reason is that so many impressive and accomplished people have graduated from here and go on to make a big difference in the world. And this two-bit local yokel puts the university down. I've never seen the guy in person, but it would be hard not to slap him now if I did.

Don't let him sit on you.

I trust that Pitino is making Travis well aware of what the U has to offer.

I think you and others in this thread are reading what isn't there because of your e-motions. On balance, the Pulley program has helped many kids and helped gain respect for basketball in Minnesota - which benefits everyone. I think Rene is owed a good level of gratitude.

As for his quote, I read it as him saying that he believes Reid is an exceptional talent who is open to going anywhere to the school. Because of his talents and the person he is, Travis has many options. Thus, the home town appeal that the Gophers have to some isn't going to be as significant for Reid because he's got some "elite" options.

I see it as praise for Reid, not a dis of Minnesota. Is he essentially saying Minnesota's basketball program isn't at the same level as Duke? Yes, I think he is. Past that I can't put words into his mouth as some of you have.

If someone saying, "Duke's basketball program is better than Minnesota's" enrages you, then definitely be upset. Otherwise, consider Rene might just be going to bat for the kid, not attacking the U.

Personally have always set my non-crystal ball to Stanford for Travis, but as we should all know, recruiting is fluid. Just about anything is possible.

I move in influential circles nationally in my profession.

:rolleyes:

It sounds like Pulley needs an education on what the U has to offer. To say we can't compete against Duke, Gonzaga academically is absurd. Stanford is great, but it has been very well documented that the relationships you can develop at Carlson with the local companies in MN is second to none. Hey Pulley, do yourself a favor and follow Dre around and educate yourself about the endless possibilities at our school.

Pulley has no idea about the educational strengths of the different institutions, he is basically quoting things a national media member would state without any kind of research. Duke and Stanford are great schools no doubt about that, if Business School as an undergrad is Travis's focus then academically the U is as strong as any of them. In other disciplines it is highly likely Duke or Stanford would be much better. It feels like for Macura and Travis the school fit was/will be more important than any one thing like basketball, I get the opposite from Vaughn. Each kid is different, but each of the top recruits know what is important to them, what they want, and I doubt they would be influenced in any way by someone like Pulley.

Unless Travis can turn himself into an elite SF he won't be going to the NBA so he would be wise to go the Carlson route and take advantage of the business opportunities in the twin cities, like Pitino described in his blog post. The fact that he would be a local legend would only enhance those opportunities.

I think you and others in this thread are reading what isn't there because of your e-motions. On balance, the Pulley program has helped many kids and helped gain respect for basketball in Minnesota - which benefits everyone. I think Rene is owed a good level of gratitude.

As for his quote, I read it as him saying that he believes Reid is an exceptional talent who is open to going anywhere to the school. Because of his talents and the person he is, Travis has many options. Thus, the home town appeal that the Gophers have to some isn't going to be as significant for Reid because he's got some "elite" options.

I see it as praise for Reid, not a dis of Minnesota. Is he essentially saying Minnesota's basketball program isn't at the same level as Duke? Yes, I think he is. Past that I can't put words into his mouth as some of you have.

If someone saying, "Duke's basketball program is better than Minnesota's" enrages you, then definitely be upset. Otherwise, consider Rene might just be going to bat for the kid, not attacking the U.

Personally have always set my non-crystal ball to Stanford for Travis, but as we should all know, recruiting is fluid. Just about anything is possible.

I'm sure Pulley has helped many kids. But can somebody please explain to me how helping to "gain respect for basketball in Minnesota" helps "everybody?" It doesn't help me. I don't want anybody in the nation to respect Minnesota basketball or Minnesota recruits. I want Tyus, and Rashad, and Reid to be overlooked nationally, and come to the U. I've never understood this logic. How does it help me, as a fan of the U, if Minnesota kids go to a blue blood program and succeed, encouraging other blue blood programs to recruit Minnesota more heavily?

Also, you're giving Rene far too much credit. He's quite clearly dissing the U. If you think it's justified, that's a different matter altogether. But he's saying Reid can do better than the hometown school. You can say that as a local basketball figure. He has no reason to have the best interests of the U in mind, and from what I've heard he's had a contentious relationship with various U coaches over the years, and has encouraged his kids to go elsewhere anyway. That's fine, he's not employed by the U. But as a Minnesota fan, I wish he'd do more to support the program in state.

Warrior- there's nothing wrong with what you say there. However, Rene Pulley would be doing the greatest service to local kids if he was positive about the local program. Not falsely positive- just positive. Why would this be good for locals? Because I think a guy like Pulley would be a great influence to help improve the Minnesota program by giving it a positive backing for the locals. And if he helped in that way- the program might be better for the next group of kids who would like to stay near home but also want to win. So there's nothing wrong with him saying that Duke is a good school. But there is no reason to give the U the back of his hand every time he gets the chance- which appears to be the situation.

I'm sure Pulley has helped many kids. But can somebody please explain to me how helping to "gain respect for basketball in Minnesota" helps "everybody?" It doesn't help me. I don't want anybody in the nation to respect Minnesota basketball or Minnesota recruits. I want Tyus, and Rashad, and Reid to be overlooked nationally, and come to the U. I've never understood this logic. How does it help me, as a fan of the U, if Minnesota kids go to a blue blood program and succeed, encouraging other blue blood programs to recruit Minnesota more heavily?

Also, you're giving Rene far too much credit. He's quite clearly dissing the U. If you think it's justified, that's a different matter altogether. But he's saying Reid can do better than the hometown school. You can say that as a local basketball figure. He has no reason to have the best interests of the U in mind, and from what I've heard he's had a contentious relationship with various U coaches over the years, and has encouraged his kids to go elsewhere anyway. That's fine, he's not employed by the U. But as a Minnesota fan, I wish he'd do more to support the program in state.

+1

Pulley can be loyal to his players without being a d-bag to the U. The problem with quoting him as "the local basketball expert" as the local reporters and national recruiting reporters often do, is that there is a conflict of interest with Pulley that none of these reporters seem to take into account. Pulley himself doesn't raise his profile if all his best players go to the U. Pulley raises his profile by his guys being sprinkled all across the country in other elite programs. I don't know the guy, but I've read enough of his quotes over the years to conclude that that his one of his primary interests. I think it's too bad, as he could do a great deal to raise the U program to the level I believe it could be and should be.

I'm sure Pulley has helped many kids. But can somebody please explain to me how helping to "gain respect for basketball in Minnesota" helps "everybody?" It doesn't help me. I don't want anybody in the nation to respect Minnesota basketball or Minnesota recruits. I want Tyus, and Rashad, and Reid to be overlooked nationally, and come to the U. I've never understood this logic.

Obviously not a fan of trickle down economics are you?

Help the unaccomplished by keeping the accomplished down....

Ever think of maybe, perhaps, if Pulley's league develops high level players, the mid tier (which we may have a better shot at) will ultimately be better because of the competition?

Perhaps if Pulley's league gets better recruits, our coach doesn't need to travel as far to see some of these high level athletes play as they will play many of their games in our front yard?

Perhaps if Pulley's league gets these kids to the great state of Minnesota, which they may have never heard of before, they may just come to like it, or maybe like one of our fine young coeds and keep coming back for more?!?

I never understood the logic of make everyone suffer as much as me because I cannot succeed.... If we don't like being under the likes of Duke and Kentucky, lets get up to their level....

I think you and others in this thread are reading what isn't there because of your e-motions.

This is funny. This is really effing funny. We have a guy who needs to blow guys like RP to get access to players so he can come on here to pimp his own blog, and he's telling us that we might not be looking at the quote clearly.

Obviously not a fan of trickle down economics are you?

Help the unaccomplished by keeping the accomplished down....

Ever think of maybe, perhaps, if Pulley's league develops high level players, the mid tier (which we may have a better shot at) will ultimately be better because of the competition?

Perhaps if Pulley's league gets better recruits, our coach doesn't need to travel as far to see some of these high level athletes play as they will play many of their games in our front yard?

Perhaps if Pulley's league gets these kids to the great state of Minnesota, which they may have never heard of before, they may just come to like it, or maybe like one of our fine young coeds and keep coming back for more?!?

I never understood the logic of make everyone suffer as much as me because I cannot succeed.... If we don't like being under the likes of Duke and Kentucky, lets get up to their level....

I like that attitude, I would love to see us take a step to the next level. And then a few more steps to become a national power, but right now I'd like to see us get consistently in the top half of our conference.

He'll probably get real upset while he counts his millions of dollars in New York.

edit: perhaps millionS is the incorrect descriptor of his monetary holdings.

At least he's still a local hero in that bustling metropolis Lawrence. Come to think of it, maybe that's how Hoiberg is trying to sell Vaughn? Come to Ames and you can be Mayor (wait, already taken) or University president or a farmer.

It doesn't seem Pulley knows much about college rankings...the U ranks way, way above Stanford and Duke in business...as neither of them have business programs. The B1G is the strongest conference these days. However, emotions aside...Duke is way on top of this list for basketball. From all the information out there it seems like Reid is undecided. Maybe he is waiting for Okafor and Looney to commit to see where if he can get the playing time he wants at Duke. Maybe he is confused by all the slick sales pitches that everyone gives him and the pressure that coaches, fans, friends and others give him to select the school they want him to. So he seems to be thoughtfully trimming his list. Maybe he's giving the U and official because after watching Pitino in action he liked what he saw and put the U back in the mix. By the time he finishes his officials, more of the top players will have committed and he will be ready to pick a school. But signs do appear to be pointing up for the U...continued unofficial visits, and now an official and Looney still on top of the Duke PF board....

Before leavin practice at the high performance academy I asked a person in the know with the big 3 if we had a dance at any of them, and he said I can tell you that Tyus Jones will not be a gopher. He then stated Reid Travis will also be hard to get because of Stanford and Duke, but he never ruled the gophers out. Rashad Vaughn is who he said was most likely to be a gopher due to Vaughn wanting to be the man and that he is a very selfish player.

I posted this in the2014 recruiting thread and I had already told u tha Mr. Pulley said it would be hard for the Gophes to land Reid but he didn't rule it out. He only ruled out Tyus. Pulley is also a great person for those of you tha don't knw him.

Before leavin practice at the high performance academy I asked a person in the know with the big 3 if we had a dance at any of them, and he said I can tell you that Tyus Jones will not be a gopher. He then stated Reid Travis will also be hard to get because of Stanford and Duke, but he never ruled the gophers out. Rashad Vaughn is who he said was most likely to be a gopher due to Vaughn wanting to be the man and that he is a very selfish player.

I posted this in the2014 recruiting thread and I had already told u tha Mr. Pulley said it would be hard for the Gophes to land Reid but he didn't rule it out. He only ruled out Tyus. Pulley is also a great person for those of you tha don't knw him.

Since you have inside info, why did Vaughn choose not to play for Pulley? What was the conflict between Vaughn and the team/Pulley that we have heard rumors about?

Since you have inside info, why did Vaughn choose not to play for Pulley? What was the conflict between Vaughn and the team/Pulley that we have heard rumors about?

I can't tell you for sure what all went down, but when I talkers the source he not only stated that Vaughn was a selfish player but that he was also a selfish person. With the tone it was said in i would say there is some bad blood between Vaughn and the pulley program.

The thing with Pulley is that they want to be able to say they placed a kid at Duke. The last kid who played for Pulley that went to Duke was Nick Horvath. It's an ego thing and the focus should be on where the kid wants to go versus what will make the coach/director feel better about himself.

I think Rene Pulley's apparent attitude towards Minnesota won't be a problem with Reid (a number of family members have already been through the recruiting process, he seems more mature than the average recruit, etc), but could be a problem in the future. It would be a good idea if someone from the program can start stroking his ego so he becomes a friend to the U.

Mods, not that you'll respond, but why on earth was my comment from earlier (and the one responding to mine) deleted? I guess I'll post roughly the same thing...

Have you noticed that many people assuming that Jones will be one and done? It seems to me that more people on here think that he won't be.

I also don't think it's ridiculous to assume Vaughn can be one and done if he wants to. He's the "prototypical" two guard and he seems to be in a hurry to get out of college. As long as he stays healthy, I would guess most scouts believe he could at least be drafted before the end of the second round (not that it would make sense to leave if he weren't projected to go higher--just saying he could probably go at least end of 2nd after his 1st yr).

This is as ridiculous as everyone assuming that Jones and Vaughn will be one-and-dones.

The thing with Pulley is that they want to be able to say they placed a kid at Duke. The last kid who played for Pulley that went to Duke was Nick Horvath. It's an ego thing and the focus should be on where the kid wants to go versus what will make the coach/director feel better about himself.

I think Rene Pulley's apparent attitude towards Minnesota won't be a problem with Reid (a number of family members have already been through the recruiting process, he seems more mature than the average recruit, etc), but could be a problem in the future. It would be a good idea if someone from the program can start stroking his ego so he becomes a friend to the U.

I don't see how you think Pulley has an issue with the U. Coleman, White, and Rodney all went to the U. I don't buy the fact he wants to to send a kid to Duke just because. He has a hold on MN AAU since he's the only EYBL program in the state. Rene has always been a good guy and loyal to kids who played for him in the cases I have seen.

I can't tell you for sure what all went down, but when I talkers the source he not only stated that Vaughn was a selfish player but that he was also a selfish person. With the tone it was said in i would say there is some bad blood between Vaughn and the pulley program.
I'm sure he is was selfish because he wouldn't play for Pulley. Goes to show Pulley couldn't stand someone wouldn't cowtie to his holy than thou program.. So why not spread the word he is a selfish person? What a joke Pulley is. The source a Pulley flunkie.

Mods delete things sometimes that make you scratch your head. I believe as a forum where people post opinions and facts that all things should be posted, albeit where inapprpriate verbiage and slander may be present.

I wouldn't worry about it. Not every letter to the editor of a newspaper gets printed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom