Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amelia Blog: Travis may announce on Nov. 15 on ESPN

The elder Travis told Gonzalez that ESPN called last night to ask if Reid would wait until Nov. 15 – two days after the start of the fall signing period – to announce his college decision, which ESPN wants to broadcast nationally.

“He is giving that some thought,” Nate Travis said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/227697461.html

According to Amelia Reid is going to the public scrimmage at Williams Arena Friday, but also taking an official to Stanford this weekend. Is that right? Or did she mix up some dates.

What am I missing here? Why would it be more/less interesting to ESPN viewers if he committed to Duke vs if he committed to the Gophers? Was the Mudiay commitment less interesting to people because he spurned Kentucky to go to SMU? I would argue it was more interesting.

Not that I think ESPN has any inside info, but I could see them pumping up younger Pitino's first 5-star commit. That would be quite the story and create some serious buzz for them. I think they just want to have the top kids in the country announce on their channel.

What would be ESPN's motivation for that?

What am I missing here? Why would it be more/less interesting to ESPN viewers if he committed to Duke vs if he committed to the Gophers? Was the Mudiay commitment less interesting to people because he spurned Kentucky to go to SMU? I would argue it was more interesting.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why people would even begin to think this is a kill shot.

I seriously doubt ESPN knows where he's going, but they probably THINK he's going to Duke, just like a lot of people do.

That's a better way of putting it than I did. If there's an opportunity to give Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc., a little free publicity, ESPN will hop all over it. Let's hope Travis surprises 'em (and me).

Because our coach's last name is Pitino. If he gets a 5-star commitment in his first season with a big school it's a good headline.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Richard Pitino. This is all about the high ranking of the player.

Did you read the story. It's not a story just about Pitino. He is mentioned once. Asking Reid Travis to announce on ESPN is not ESPN's way of trying to pump up Pitino

Is he or is he not on the front page?

I think you guys are reading wayyyyy too much into this whole possible ESPN announcement. Doesn't indicate his school choice one way or the other in my opinion.

I think you guys are reading wayyyyy too much into this whole possible ESPN announcement. Doesn't indicate his school choice one way or the other in my opinion.

Agreed. He's a 5-star in their rankings and a lot of people are interested in his recruitment. That's about it IMO.

I think most people agree with you.

wrong sir! we aren't reading enough into it! like what time is the announcement on that particular day? what phase is the moon in, on that day? which coach recruiting travis has the closest birthday to said date? All these questions will hint at which school travis chooses.

Reid is the recruit that I want the most to sign with the Gophers of the big 3 and the one that I have a feeling will. Here's to hoping he puts on a maroon and gold "M" cap on ESPN!

Say what you want but Reid isn't spending all this time on campus for nothing. I'll represent the optimistic approach and predict he's coming to the U and will be treated like a kid that decides to stay home should be. Book it.

Is anyone else getting tired of all this TV hoopla with players commit announcements?

Say what you want but Reid isn't spending all this time on campus for nothing. I'll represent the optimistic approach and predict he's coming to the U and will be treated like a kid that decides to stay home should be. Book it.

I'd say we have as good a chance as anyone at this point.

That's a little skeptical of you. I'll admit that I haven't watched many of their announcements, but what seems more reasonable is that ESPN televises the top 25 or so players' decisions when they wait long enough and want to, and top 25 players tend to go to brand-name schools. I don't know why you would assume they have a heads up. Who knows if Reid has even made up his mind at this point.

Apologies... this post has basically already been said like 10x.

Uh oh.

That's pretty much a dead give-away that it won't be Minnesota. For the most part with regards to football and basketball verbals on ESPNU, they're not gonna' televise verbals for anyone not going to a brand-name school. ESPN probably knows from a pretty good source (the family?) that it's a done deal he's going to a brand name. In this case that's probably good news for Duke.

Let's hope his ESPNU announcement is one of the exceptions and not the rule.

Marcus blog: AAU coach compares Reid Travis' talent to Humphries

Howard Pulley AAU program founder Rene Pulley compares Reid Travis to former Gopher and current Boston Celtics forward Kris Humphries, who also played for Pulley.

“Reid is the next local player to come along in a Kris Humphries mold physically,” Pulley said. “But Reid is more skilled. Kris Humphries was just bigger, and cut up like an Adonis. Reid is truly skilled. He can shoot the outside shot and put the ball on the floor. He’s a smaller but better version of Kris Humphries.”

“Reid is probably going somewhere where he can get a great education and play at the highest level of basketball he can,” Pulley said. “When you’re going into it with an open mind like that, it really makes it difficult for Minnesota to compete. He’s not running from Duke with a different agenda.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...les-four-star-pf-reid-travis-to-visit-oct-25/

Go Gophers!!

Marcus blog: AAU coach compares Reid Travis' talent to Humphries

Howard Pulley AAU program founder Rene Pulley compares Reid Travis to former Gopher and current Boston Celtics forward Kris Humphries, who also played for Pulley.

“Reid is the next local player to come along in a Kris Humphries mold physically,” Pulley said. “But Reid is more skilled. Kris Humphries was just bigger, and cut up like an Adonis. Reid is truly skilled. He can shoot the outside shot and put the ball on the floor. He’s a smaller but better version of Kris Humphries.”

“Reid is probably going somewhere where he can get a great education and play at the highest level of basketball he can,” Pulley said. “When you’re going into it with an open mind like that, it really makes it difficult for Minnesota to compete. He’s not running from Duke with a different agenda.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...les-four-star-pf-reid-travis-to-visit-oct-25/

Go Gophers!!

It sounds like Pulley needs an education on what the U has to offer. To say we can't compete against Duke, Gonzaga academically is absurd. Stanford is great, but it has been very well documented that the relationships you can develop at Carlson with the local companies in MN is second to none. Hey Pulley, do yourself a favor and follow Dre around and educate yourself about the endless possibilities at our school.

Why is it that every time I hear a quote from Rene Pulley, it's negative towards the U?

Why is it that every time I hear a quote from Rene Pulley, it's negative towards the U?

Exactly, makes you kind of not like the guy. He is basically saying Reid is going to Duke. Who knows if he is, but we know what he's been telling Reid. Sounds like he wanted Humphries to go to Duke too.

Exactly, makes you kind of not like the guy. He is basically saying Reid is going to Duke. Who knows if he is, but we know what he's been telling Reid. Sounds like he wanted Humphries to go to Duke too.

And Humphries listened ... Until he changed his mind.

No matter your opinion on how or why he played here, Kris stayed home and is now involved with the program again, is having a fairly successful NBA career and was a reality TV star for awhile. Kris had the personal success he was looking for at his home state school. He was a 5-star, local recruit that stayed.

Compare that to 5-star local recruit Cole Aldrich, anyone heard from him lately?

Pulley doesn't want the "his" best players to go to the U. He does expect the Gophers to take his mid major type guys. He's a jerk who's ego feeds off these players like a parasite. The bright side is I would think most players are smart enough that what Pulley thinks means nothing in regards to were they go to school.

Pulley doesn't want the "his" best players to go to the U. He does expect the Gophers to take his mid major type guys. He's a jerk who's ego feeds off these players like a parasite. The bright side is I would think most players are smart enough that what Pulley thinks means nothing in regards to were they go to school.

It would still be nice if he could at least be neutral.

He pushes kids away from here and then relishes in their failure when they do come here. It is a really weird obsession the guy has.

Luckily, the U now has Rick Pitino (met with Richard and Reid) and Ben Johnson encouraging Reid to come here. Guessing their words hold a little weight as well. His high school coach being a former Gophers assistant can't hurt either and his teammate (Jarvis) being heavily recruited by MN as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom