Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

this thread is as stupid as the program.

No doubt we are a laughing stock, but those that are suggesting that Pitino hasn't made mention about behaving while out at night are ****ing clueless morons. You either have never managed an employee, raised a child, or had a friend to not understand that sometimes people just don't listen.... Especially drunk 20 somethings. Something else takes over.

Those suggesting that they see basketball players out more often than football players, is it possible you recognize basketball players a big easier? Is it possible that the 6ft+ guys stand out a bit more? Or the simple fact that there are only 12 faces to remember rather than what? 80+??

Joke of a program
Joke of a thread
Joke of a fanbase

just a goddamn joke.

Why am I a Gopher fan and why do we put ourselves through this?

I don't know if you've ever managed an employee or raised a child.

Mistakes happen. We all look at what was done before bringing in these players and how the coaches react to the situation. I can't really fault Pitino for any of that. However, at some point, the blame runs up. If you are the head of a department that is continuously underperforming and having continuous bad situations, eventually, the blame is on you. The blame is on you, even if the employees all looked good on paper. The blame is on you, even if you reprimanded those failed employees as best you could. Eventually, you're the head of the operation, it's on you.

I'm not sure if it's entirely fair or not, it's possible to just have a run of really bad luck. But in almost any management situation, the blame would start going to the manager at his point.

I don't know if you've ever managed an employee or raised a child. Mistakes happen. We all look at what was done before bringing in these players and how the coaches react to the situation. I can't really fault Pitino for any of that. However, at some point, the blame runs up. If you are the head of a department that is continuously underperforming and having continuous bad situations, eventually, the blame is on you. The blame is on you, even if the employees all looked good on paper. The blame is on you, even if you reprimanded those failed employees as best you could. Eventually, you're the head of the operation, it's on you. I'm not sure if it's entirely fair or not, it's possible to just have a run of really bad luck. But in almost any management situation, the blame would start going to the manager at his point.

Agreed. I don't think Pitino has done a single thing wrong to cause these problems or in his handling of them. I think he's been quick to act and hasn't tolerated the issues. I'm fine taking risks on some kids to give them a second chance and he's also had issues with kids who had zero blemishes. But at the end of the day, it is his team and his program. And he is ultimately responsible for the performance of his team. And when you have this bad behavior and you're losing like he is. That's a bad combo. While I don't think these are his fault he also can't use player behavior problem as an excuse for losing over and over. At some point he has to perform regardless of the circumstances. That time is now IMO.

I don't know if you've ever managed an employee or raised a child.

Mistakes happen. We all look at what was done before bringing in these players and how the coaches react to the situation. I can't really fault Pitino for any of that. However, at some point, the blame runs up. If you are the head of a department that is continuously underperforming and having continuous bad situations, eventually, the blame is on you. The blame is on you, even if the employees all looked good on paper. The blame is on you, even if you reprimanded those failed employees as best you could. Eventually, you're the head of the operation, it's on you.

I'm not sure if it's entirely fair or not, it's possible to just have a run of really bad luck. But in almost any management situation, the blame would start going to the manager at his point.

Agreed. I don't think Pitino has done a single thing wrong to cause these problems or in his handling of them. I think he's been quick to act and hasn't tolerated the issues. I'm fine taking risks on some kids to give them a second chance and he's also had issues with kids who had zero blemishes. But at the end of the day, it is his team and his program. And he is ultimately responsible for the performance of his team. And when you have this bad behavior and you're losing like he is. That's a bad combo. While I don't think these are his fault he also can't use player behavior problem as an excuse for losing over and over. At some point he has to perform regardless of the circumstances. That time is now IMO.

Both of these posts are spot on. Couldn't agree more. Well done. :clap:

Update:

"Lynch, 21, was arrested at 1:24 p.m. Sunday by University of Minnesota police, according to booking records at Hennepin County Jail, for allegedly raping a 19-year-old woman in an apartment on the 1200 block of Unversity Ave. in Minneapolis. He is being held without bail on probable cause.

Hennepin County Attorney spokesman Chuck Laszewski said the office has 36 hours to bring charges from the time of an arrest. Lynch is being held without bail, a common practice in the immediate wake of an arrest."

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/08/gophers-basketball-player-arrested-for-criminal-sexual-conduct/

Per Doogie-

Regents Chairman Dean Johnson told @JayKollsKSTP the pattern of issues w/ #Gophers hoops is "embarrassing." He's talking to Kaler later.

Both of these posts are spot on. Couldn't agree more. Well done. :clap:

Agreed. It may not be Pitino's fault but ultimately it is his responsibility when players screw up. These are not public intoxication tickets, these are serious felonies.

I want Coach to create a culture where getting into issues is just not acceptable. Especially at a time when the university and athletic department in particular are under the microscope. College kids partying is a normal thing, but maybe these guys should dial it back for a year? Or better yet, perhaps their coach, who got another raise a year ago, should create the culture that makes them dial it back.

Fair or not, in big time college sports (and in life often times) crap flows up hill. I think it's time for a new coach.

So somehow Pitino has made this culture acceptable by consistently suspending and/or kicking players off of the team when they get in trouble?

1:24AM should be an interesting rest of the day. They could always charge later as well, they'll just have to cut him loose in the interim. Wonder what Pitino would do if he isn't charged. I know he's punished guys for way less, but he needs to win and were up **** creek if Konate and Diediou are our options at center

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hard to argue.

The combination no coach wants. ... losing and a laundry list of off-court issues. You can get away with the latter if you're winning.

Per Doogie-

Regents Chairman Dean Johnson told @JayKollsKSTP the pattern of issues w/ #Gophers hoops is "embarrassing." He's talking to Kaler later.
Do you think the will have an effect on Beth Goetz getting the interim tag removed from her title?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So somehow Pitino has made this culture acceptable by consistently suspending and/or kicking players off of the team when they get in trouble?

Culture is not created by how you react to a bad situation. A program with a positive culture is one when you don't allow them to happen. If Pitno needs some help in bringing discipline to a program, he could call Coach Kill.

I would suggest we wait for details of the situation before opening our mouths Mr Chairman

Oh really? Well why don't we all just listen to you then. This statement should have come a while back! The program has been a major dumpster fire for some time now. I'm no Dean Johnson fan but am glad someone has the guts to finally say something. The program is an embarrassment !

Oh really? Well why don't we all just listen to you then. This statement should have come a while back! The program has been a major dumpster fire for some time now. I'm no Dean Johnson fan but am glad someone has the guts to finally say something. The program is an embarrassment !

Don't have to listen to me at all. My opinion. If Lynch is guilty he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But nobody on this board knows at this time what happened. Maybe Dean Johnson does but I doubt it. Have a great day.

Innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. But in terms of maintaining a spot on the roster, I would not blame Pitino one bit if he just axed him right now. At the very least, Lynch put himself in a really bad situation, especially after all that has happened. It boggles my mind how many of these guys put themselves in situations where they can A) make a horrific life altering decision like he's accused or B) get falsely accused of a crime like this from a random and/or crazy chick looking to take down an athlete. It's a really bad situation regardless of whether or not he is guilty. Everyone else on the team should take note and clean up their weekend activities. You can have a ton of fun going out, meeting chicks, etc. without risking trouble. You just have to be smart.

Pitino can't be blamed for the problems the players are getting themselves into but this is happening under his watch. Ultimately at some point enough is enough and he will have to take the blame. Are we at that point now regardless of the outcome of this latest arrest?

Innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. But in terms of maintaining a spot on the roster, I would not blame Pitino one bit if he just axed him right now. At the very least, Lynch put himself in a really bad situation, especially after all that has happened. It boggles my mind how many of these guys put themselves in situations where they can A) make a horrific life altering decision like he's accused or B) get falsely accused of a crime like this from a random and/or crazy chick looking to take down an athlete. It's a really bad situation regardless of whether or not he is guilty. Everyone else on the team should take note and clean up their weekend activities. You can have a ton of fun going out, meeting chicks, etc. without risking trouble. You just have to be smart.

+1

Don't have to listen to me at all. My opinion. If Lynch is guilty he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But nobody on this board knows at this time what happened. Maybe Dean Johnson does but I doubt it. Have a great day.

So we should just pretend all the other crap never happened? If this was an isolated incident , that's one thing. But the program is circling the drain. Dean has every right to comment. Have a nice day as well.

There is a lot more to culture than doling out punishments. I'm not saying this should all fall on Pitino, because it is true that he can't follow them around 24/7. But the simple fact that he has doled out punishments does not mean he's done a good job setting the culture. A culture is set with what is said and done inside the locker room long before an incident happens. A good culture exists when a team respects their coaching staff and teammates enough to make good decisions off the court so as not to make their coaches and teammates look bad in the first place. Doesn't mean that there won't be a slip-up every now and then, but look at sheer number of issues over the last couple years -- this is more than a slip-up or two.

Also, as far as punishments go, I'm not really so sure Pitino is in control of most of these punishments. When a player is arrested for criminal sexual conduct I would assume it is athletic department policy to suspend them until the investigation is complete. I don't think that players' coach has much of a choice. And as far as the threesome, Pitino publicly said he thought they would be back after one game. Then all of a sudden a couple days later the suspensions were extended for the remainder of the season. Common sense indicated that those suspensions were controlled by the athletic department and not the team.

So we should just pretend all the other crap never happened? If this was an isolated incident , that's one thing. But the program is circling the drain. Dean has every right to comment. Have a nice day as well.

It think his point is we don't even know if there really was an incident at all in this situation.

It think his point is we don't even know if there really was an incident at all in this situation.

There was most definitely an incident, we just don't know what it was. The police don't arrest someone unless there was an incident and they have a reasonably good idea of what happened.

There is a lot more to culture than doling out punishments. I'm not saying this should all fall on Pitino, because it is true that he can't follow them around 24/7. But the simple fact that he has doled out punishments does not mean he's done a good job setting the culture. A culture is set with what is said and done inside the locker room long before an incident happens. A good culture exists when a team respects their coaching staff and teammates enough to make good decisions off the court so as not to make their coaches and teammates look bad in the first place. Doesn't mean that there won't be a slip-up every now and then, but look at sheer number of issues over the last couple years -- this is more than a slip-up or two.

Also, as far as punishments go, I'm not really so sure Pitino is in control of most of these punishments. When a player is arrested for criminal sexual conduct I would assume it is athletic department policy to suspend them until the investigation is complete. I don't think that players' coach has much of a choice. And as far as the threesome, Pitino publicly said he thought they would be back after one game. Then all of a sudden a couple days later the suspensions were extended for the remainder of the season. Common sense indicated that those suspensions were controlled by the athletic department and not the team.

On the flip side of the coin- regardless of where the decision came from- as soon as it became apparent that Dorsey wasn't turning over a new leaf- adios Kevin. Is there any doubt at all that this team has probably been lectured as much as any college team in America over that past few months about the issues that can arise over sexual conduct. And even if they hadn't been lectured (which you can be certain they were) - would it take a brain surgeon to figure out that anything less than good conduct would be severely and quickly punished by the coaches, administration and the media? These things don't happen as a result of a thought process occurring- they happen when the thought processes are not functioning, like when a kid is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This ain't on the coaches- especially in the summer-it's on the kids. And we don't know what happened yet. This could be all on Lynch or it could be a Duke Lacrosse type of situation. We don't know.

I have been a very vocal supporter of coach Pitino. I think he will be a very good coach and can be the one to build a good program at the U.

With that said, I think there has to be a cultural change in the way these players interact with women. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And just because a person shows interest, doesn't mean you can. The players need to show discipline off the court. I know it may difficult to get a horny, big man on campus to understand, but they can not always follow the desires of their *****. If coach needs to bring in a life coach each week, so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooner or later one of you is going to propose we only recruit eunuchs. And I will say, "We already have a women's team."

More importantly, when did DinkyTown get a Target? Kids are so spoiled these days.

Pitino can't be blamed for the problems the players are getting themselves into but this is happening under his watch. Ultimately at some point enough is enough and he will have to take the blame. Are we at that point now regardless of the outcome of this latest arrest?

Until I know more, I'm blaming the women.

Top Bottom