recruiting

Greenlee can and is a D1 player. Whether he's a high level B1G player can be a fair discussion. I get your point on recruiting to a point, but I see it more in development personally. I think we have kids who are talented, good citizens, and seem to work hard. I also think our recruiting the last couple years has gotten significantly better because I see a purpose and "type" that we seem to go after. The fact is many recruits will not play or be significant players on your rosters. You look at hope to hit on 1-2 a class as a starter/major contributor and then hopefully 1-2 that can be solid role guys off your bench. What is very hard to overcome is having a IW and Jamir group that didn't have any stay, but we also replaced Jamir with Marcus Carr. I think his early classes were a disaster and he attempted shortcuts, I don't see that as much anymore and personally think recruiting is an area he's improved on. That being said he's still only middle of the pack in our conference because we have some lite recruiters in the B1G

Right. It's hard when you tout someone like IW as the next coming of christ while snubbing a few local guys and he ends up being a mid major streetballer.

I agree with alot of what you said. But when you talk of getting a major contributor + a few role players per class. That is the problem. Where are these role players? This team has been 6-7 at best deep for as long as Pitino has been a coach. To me, that's a huge problem. Agree on the development. If you are going to take reaches or projects, you better be sure you are able to actually develop a few of them from time to time.

Right. It's hard when you tout someone like IW as the next coming of christ while snubbing a few local guys and he ends up being a mid major streetballer.

I agree with alot of what you said. But when you talk of getting a major contributor + a few role players per class. That is the problem. Where are these role players? This team has been 6-7 at best deep for as long as Pitino has been a coach. To me, that's a huge problem. Agree on the development. If you are going to take reaches or projects, you better be sure you are able to actually develop a few of them from time to time.

Yeah I think the lack of depth was some on evaluation misses, but also attributed moreso to development and recruiting guys that didn't fit to a system or a culture. I see that changing with current classes. I see common player traits with Omersas, Oturus, Gabes, Tre, Ihnen, Greenlee, and Mashburn. All are hard workers, smart, and good citizens. That's a path to success imo, but whether that continues to happen or if it's too late are all fair points and criticisms.

Yeah I think the lack of depth was some on evaluation misses, but also attributed moreso to development and recruiting guys that didn't fit to a system or a culture. I see that changing with current classes. I see common player traits with Omersas, Oturus, Gabes, Tre, Ihnen, Greenlee, and Mashburn. All are hard workers, smart, and good citizens. That's a path to success imo, but whether that continues to happen or if it's too late are all fair points and criticisms.
It is why we watch, because we do not know. Perhaps they all come together, become the conferences best defensive team and a conference contender. Living with hope is a good thing.

IU gets Lander on a reclass this year. That gives Archie Miller a loaded class.

Top Bottom