Recruiting the next few years in Minnesota

Recruiting focus needs to be to offer every point guard imaginable and hope you land one with some semblance of skill

This is dumb. A basic Google search shows hundreds of workouts to improve athleticism. A certain level of athleticism might be god given, but it can absolutely be improved.
There is a difference between athleticism and athletic skills. One is natural and the other is developed and improved with hard work.

We disagree on the god given part and it’s more the definition of god given. Rodney’s genetics allowed him the potential to be that level of athlete. He still put in a lot of work to get there. When I read god given it means there was no work or development/learning required to attain it
God given refers to base/natural athleticism, musical talent, voice, or intelligence. Hard work develops and enhances skills associated with those attributes.

God given refers to base/natural athleticism, musical talent, voice, or intelligence. Hard work develops and enhances skills associated with those attributes.
Agreed. It’s why I disagree when we we say it’s god given and they are 18 years old and a college athlete. At that point their daily habits have something to do with where they are even if their training wasn’t formalized.

Can we rename this thread? I'm thinking we could go with: "Crabbily arguing semantics with people we have no chance to convince" or "Beating our heads against the wall" or "Continuing to touch the red-hot stove". Anyone else have ideas?
This tunes title and artist at (Soggy @Wet_Blanket_Guy )both work for the thread of the group of Anti-Beninites

Last edited:

This is why Ben was hired. Go get him!
at what point do we hire D. Johnson to get Doley and Wilson on board?
Might as well grab the Klabo kid from Fargo as well in that class and we got 2 PG and a wing covered

at what point do we hire D. Johnson to get Doley and Wilson on board?
Might as well grab the Klabo kid from Fargo as well in that class and we got 2 PG and a wing covered
BSM has the best young talent in the state. 3 Players on Howard Pulley top '25 team and 1 Player on D1MN top '26. There were also 2 of the top 5 Freshmen in the state who transferred out. I don't know what his connection is to all these kids, but for him to get all the top guys to come to a private school that was 5-21 the year before he was hired is huge. BSM is currently 18-3 with only losses coming to Wayzata, Middleton Wisconson top 5 team in the biggest class of Wisconsin Hoops, & Waconia (still confused by this one)

BSM has the best young talent in the state. 3 Players on Howard Pulley top '25 team and 1 Player on D1MN top '26. There were also 2 of the top 5 Freshmen in the state who transferred out. I don't know what his connection is to all these kids, but for him to get all the top guys to come to a private school that was 5-21 the year before he was hired is huge. BSM is currently 18-3 with only losses coming to Wayzata, Middleton Wisconson top 5 team in the biggest class of Wisconsin Hoops, & Waconia (still confused by this one)
Damian has proven himself as a good coach, has been around quite a while, and is a genuinely likable guy. I can see players, and maybe as important, parents, wanting to be part of his program.

The talk of his becoming a college coach is frequent, but the only time I ever herd him say anything about it (in an interview with Nadine I think) was years ago and his being a dad was more important than the career and the demands of college coaching would be too much. Things change, and from a distance, it seems like he would be a great college coach if he wanted to pursue that.

Damian has proven himself as a good coach, has been around quite a while, and is a genuinely likable guy. I can see players, and maybe as important, parents, wanting to be part of his program.

The talk of his becoming a college coach is frequent, but the only time I ever herd him say anything about it (in an interview with Nadine I think) was years ago and his being a dad was more important than the career and the demands of college coaching would be too much. Things change, and from a distance, it seems like he would be a great college coach if he wanted to pursue that.
I have been to a couple of games this year, and he always has his kids behind the bench or going into the Locker Room with the players during halftime.

I'll never understand how we were unable to retain the tre hollamans of the world, I mean sure Michigan state is a better program, but they haven't exactly been THAT much better than us recently

I don't know, I think Patinos strategy of ignoring Minnesota was unsustainable, but you also can't win with just Minnesota players. Ben has to lock down a high caliber pg, not a marcus carr or even an Andre hollins but a decent starter if he wants to go anywhere.
MSU and MN are not even in the same stratosphere. Way, way better

Pretty revealing that somebody would know this band exists. :) I know the video is from Cool Hand Luke but that's good useful information. Enjoyed the post is my intended takeaway.
Cool Hand Luke?

Uh...no.

Minnesota connection though.

MSU and MN are not even in the same stratosphere. Way, way better
No kidding. Where are people coming up with this nonsense? Michigan State is 16-9 overall and 8-6 in the Big Ten. And this is a down year for them. If we had this record, people would be calling for parades and statues of the coach. Just bonkers.

No kidding. Where are people coming up with this nonsense? Michigan State is 16-9 overall and 8-6 in the Big Ten. And this is a down year for them. If we had this record, people would be calling for parades and statues of the coach. Just bonkers.
No doubt. They’ve had ONE losing big ten record over 30 years. I don’t know where people come up with this stuff.

they’re going to be absolutely unstoppable in like 2 years

Recruiting focus needs to be to offer every point guard imaginable and hope you land one with some semblance of skill

I'm assuming transfer recruits count for this thread.

Wonder if this kid is interested in coming home?

Curtis Jones

Played at Cretin-Derham Hall. Spent one year at Indian Hills CC and the last two years at Buffalo. Has two years of eligibility after this season.

He's having a pretty good year this season (PER - 19.2 (14th in the MACC), WIN SHARES PER 40 - .158 (11th in the MACC), 4th in the MACC in 3 pointers made, 8th in steals, 7th in Box plus/minus, 3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio, and 76.9% free throw shooter).

Curtis Jones

Played at Cretin-Derham Hall. Spent one year at Indian Hills CC and the last two years at Buffalo. Has two years of eligibility after this season.

He's having a pretty good year this season (PER - 19.2 (14th in the MACC), WIN SHARES PER 40 - .158 (11th in the MACC), 4th in the MACC in 3 pointers made, 8th in steals, 7th in Box plus/minus, 3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio, and 76.9% free throw shooter).
Interesting find. He went from 2ppg last year to 15 ppg this year 36% 3 point shooter. Does his game translate in terms of speed?

Curtis Jones

100% transfers would count. Need a PG however it comes.

Jones I dont know much about.

My reseravations would be 1. Is he even a PG? He doesnt turn it over much but 3 assists and taking over 13 shots he seems more combo. and 2. Not the best efficiency inside the arc while being in the MAC. Nothing terrible but when moving up a level thats where weve run in trouble with guys in past.

Again, I dont know much at all about him though. Maybe he can play some PG if asked.

Top Bottom