Recruiting the next few years in Minnesota

Formerswish

Reaction score
I went to see Bloomington Jefferson vs Benilde last night, some observations:
Freitag: Very impressive athlete, strong, can shoot it, good handle, good passer. Can score with both hands. He also spent much of the game bitching at his teammates. It was clear that many on his team didn't care for him, and the whole vibe was not good. Granted, he doesn't have a whole lot of talent on his team and it can get frustrating, but there's a way to do it that doesn't tear everyone down. I understand why Johnson has cooled on him. I'd like his talent on the team, but the rest of the package doesn't seem worth it. Maybe Fleck?

Jalen Wilson, Benilde: 24/7 has him as a 4 star , the #1 rated recruit in the MN class of 2025,, and the 16th ranked SG in the country. He's not the most impressive looking athlete, pretty small in the upper body, not a lot of explosive quickness or lift, but he's about 6'7 and does a lot of things well. Very good shooter, handles it well, very hard-nosed, plays hard on defense, and he's a good team guy. They play him more underneath as more of a 4 or 5 on their team, but that's where they need him.

Jaleel Donley, point guard, Benilde: Class of 2025: I think I saw him rated as #5 for that 2025 class in MN. The guy is about 6'1 and has a great handle and really quick. Hard to say about his shot, haven't seen enough, but he can get it off any time he wants. Great crossover move and fun to watch. The thing is, he's probably about 140 lbs, so he'll
have to gain some weight, but the guy can play.

Christian Wiggins, class of 2026: This is a 9th grader, about 6'3, who can really shoot it. He had 6 3pointers in one game this year and has a sweet shot. He also plays really hard on defense and has the type of frame that will put on some weight and muscle.

Former Gopher Damian Johnson is coaching the Benilde team, and I hope the other Johnson is spending some time over there, that's a fun team to watch, with some of the best young talent in the state. And shooters Ben!!

Freitag: Very impressive athlete, strong, can shoot it, good handle, good passer. Can score with both hands. He also spent much of the game bitching at his teammates. It was clear that many on his team didn't care for him, and the whole vibe was not good. Granted, he doesn't have a whole lot of talent on his team and it can get frustrating, but there's a way to do it that doesn't tear everyone down. I understand why Johnson has cooled on him. I'd like his talent on the team, but the rest of the package doesn't seem worth it. Maybe Fleck?

Jalen Wilson, Benilde: 24/7 has him as a 4 star , the #1 rated recruit in the MN class of 2025,, and the 16th ranked SG in the country. He's not the most impressive looking athlete, pretty small in the upper body, not a lot of explosive quickness or lift, but he's about 6'7 and does a lot of things well. Very good shooter, handles it well, very hard-nosed, plays hard on defense, and he's a good team guy. They play him more underneath as more of a 4 or 5 on their team, but that's where they need him.

Jaleel Donley, point guard, Benilde: Class of 2025: I think I saw him rated as #5 for that 2025 class in MN. The guy is about 6'1 and has a great handle and really quick. Hard to say about his shot, haven't seen enough, but he can get it off any time he wants. Great crossover move and fun to watch. The thing is, he's probably about 140 lbs, so he'll

Christian Wiggins, class of 2026: This is a 9th grader, about 6'3, who can really shoot it. He had 6 3pointers in one game this year and has a sweet shot. He also plays really hard on defense and has the type of frame that will put on some weight and muscle.

Former Gopher Damian Johnson is coaching the Benilde team, and I hope the other Johnson is spending some time over there, that's a fun team to watch, with some of the best young talent in the state. And shooters Ben!!
What's that? A ninth grader who can really shoot? Without college coaching?

And thanks for the report. Very happy for Damian Johnson.

What's that? A ninth grader who can really shoot? Without college coaching?

And thanks for the report. Very happy for Damian Johnson.

I coached Christian for a few years, so I’d like to take some credit 😂, just kidding. I did coach him, he’s an amazing young man, outstanding family and I really hope he can grow into a high major D1 player. The Ivy League’s will likely be after him as well, he’s as good of a student as he is young man and basketball player.

Go Gophers!!

I coached Christian for a few years, so I’d like to take some credit 😂, just kidding. I did coach him, he’s an amazing young man, outstanding family and I really hope he can grow into a high major D1 player. The Ivy League’s will likely be after him as well, he’s as good of a student as he is young man and basketball player.

Go Gophers!!
My motto is that lots of people blame you for things that are not your fault, you may as well take some credit for things you had nothing to do with to offset them!

Thanks for the reports and giving us something to look forward to. Having Damian at BSM probably helps, but wondering what club teams they are with and who will have more influence.

Go Gophers!!
If you coached earlier than 9th grade you probably deserve some credit. That is when shooters are made.

Thanks for the reports and giving us something to look forward to. Having Damian at BSM probably helps, but wondering what club teams they are with and who will have more influence.
Pulley and D1 both like Ben and Thorson, so that won’t be the issue. Ben and Thorson will also work in recruiting harder than Pitino locally. It’s if kids want to come here which is nice instead of losing some because we got out worked by other head coaches

They have another 2025 Abu Keita who is a 6’5 athlete who shoots it really well. Kind of reminds me of Ola Joseph as far as his frame

They need to get:

Jayden Moore (FR Hopkins) and Anthony Smith (SO Hopkins).

I’ve been to a few Hopkins games recently, after seeing Bloomington Jefferson earlier this year. I’d argue that Jayden Moore is a better prospect right now than Freitag, as-is. He is incredible quick and an elite passer, still needs to work on his shot, but very very good. Jayden will most likely be one of the most sought after recruits in MN in a long time. Anthony Smith is a little more unique. He is a microwave. Literally a neon green light who can score from anywhere. He has some of the best footwork I’ve ever seen from a high schooler (think Harden). His limitation will be size and how that translates to his defensive ability. But my god can he fill it up in a hurry. (If starting a team id probably also take him over Freitag due to sheer ability to score).

They need to get:

I’ve been to a few Hopkins games recently, after seeing Bloomington Jefferson earlier this year. I’d argue that Jayden Moore is a better prospect right now than Freitag, as-is. He is incredible quick and an elite passer, still needs to work on his shot, but very very good. Jayden will most likely be one of the most sought after recruits in MN in a long time. Anthony Smith is a little more unique. He is a microwave. Literally a neon green light who can score from anywhere. He has some of the best footwork I’ve ever seen from a high schooler (think Harden). His limitation will be size and how that translates to his defensive ability. But my god can he fill it up in a hurry. (If starting a team id probably also take him over Freitag due to sheer ability to score).
Anthony Smith is 5’8 shooting guard. I don’t see that translating at the big ten level

Anthony Smith is 5’8 shooting guard. I don’t see that translating at the big ten level
Hopefully he gets a growth spurt! 😆
He can really light it up. I think I read in the local newspaper that he puts up 500 shots before school each day. That’s impressive work ethic. I also saw he has a George Mason offer.
Definitely agree that 5’8” doesn’t seem likely to translate to B1G as a shooting guard.

Speaking of sophomore shooting guards, I was impressed by Saint Michael-Albertville’s Jordan Holm. Might grow into a forward though I suppose.

You beat me to it. He’s gonna have to grow to be anything about low major D1 or NSIC. Not a knock as he’s a nice player

He can shoot absolutely lights out. I also assume he gets closer to 6ft. The U could move Jayden Moore to SG, and Smith play PG. it would be a great back court. You don’t have to be big to win. But if you’re small, you better better really fast / quick and be able to pass and shoot the lights out. This would be a major shift in the gopher strategy.

Side note: Dug McDaniel at Michigan is only 5’11”…he obliterated our gophers in Williams arena…and he is a short fast guy.

Anyone go to the Wayzata and Hopkins game last night? Tibbits would be a good challenge for this backcourt

He can shoot absolutely lights out. I also assume he gets closer to 6ft. The U could move Jayden Moore to SG, and Smith play PG. it would be a great back court. You don’t have to be big to win. But if you’re small, you better better really fast / quick and be able to pass and shoot the lights out. This would be a major shift in the gopher strategy.

Side note: Dug McDaniel at Michigan is only 5’11”…he obliterated our gophers in Williams arena…and he is a short fast guy.

Braden Smith on Purdue is another example. He's generously listed at 6' on Purdue's roster, but he's not that big. He was listed at 5'10" coming out of high school. He's a legit PG though, super quick, and was Mr basketball in Indiana, but he was lightly recruited due to his size. Worked out for Purdue though since he's been a starter as a freshman from day 1.

Braden Smith on Purdue is another example. He's generously listed at 6' on Purdue's roster, but he's not that big. He was listed at 5'10" coming out of high school. He's a legit PG though, super quick, and was Mr basketball in Indiana, but he was lightly recruited due to his size. Worked out for Purdue though since he's been a starter as a freshman from day 1.
Love Braden Smith. Anthony Smith is not that type of guard.

Last edited:

He is not that consistent or on that level. Very good high school player but more than likely won’t be a mid to high major player. He couldn’t score vs Wayzata last night. He is a streaky guy. When he’s hot hes hot but when he’s not it’s not pretty imo

He is not that consistent or on that level. Very good high school player but more than likely won’t be a mid to high major player. He couldn’t score vs Wayzata last night. He is a streaky guy. When he’s hot hes hot but when he’s not it’s not pretty imo
Again only a sophomore. Pretty good flashes though which I think you can mold / coach the bad basketball out of him

Again only a sophomore. Pretty good flashes though which I think you can mold / coach the bad basketball out of him
Yes he’s a sophomore. Why can you mold the bad basketball out of him and not another 6’2 sophomore instead and just not have the size disadvantage to begin with?

Anyone go to the Wayzata and Hopkins game last night? Tibbits would be a good challenge for this backcourt
Yep, I said it last year and some folks laughed, Tibbets can help a Big 10 team. Maybe it isn’t as a starting PG for an elite team, but he is a good basketball player.

Love Braden Smith. Anthony Smith is not that type of guard.

I agree, but for as good as B Smith was in high school, he was still lightly recruited due to his size. A Smith has a huge uphill battle with both size and developing other skills, but he does have a nice shot.

Yep, I said it last year and some folks laughed, Tibbets can help a Big 10 team. Maybe it isn’t as a starting PG for an elite team, but he is a good basketball player.
Tibbets is a good NSIC player possibly a Ryan Larson type where he gets a low major offer late but we got to start remembering there is 50 states. There are Tibbit types everywhere who bring much more. St. Thomas isn’t even offering him

Tibbets is a good NSIC player possibly a Ryan Larson type where he gets a low major offer late but we got to start remembering there is 50 states. There are Tibbit types everywhere who bring much more. St. Thomas isn’t even offering him
I understand why people disagree with me, I’m just saying in the vast majority of seasons of my Gopher fandom, a player like Tibbets would have helped the Gophers.

As far as your point about there being Tibbets types everywhere who bring much more - whatever that means - then we should go get them. We desperately need PG help and have needed depth for years. I don’t care if that person is Tibbets or one of these guys who “brings so much more”, but we need PGs, even if that player is just a good shooter, good ball handler, good decision maker with limited upside.

I understand why people disagree with me, I’m just saying in the vast majority of seasons of my Gopher fandom, a player like Tibbets would have helped the Gophers.

As far as your point about there being Tibbets types everywhere who bring much more - whatever that means - then we should go get them. We desperately need PG help and have needed depth for years. I don’t care if that person is Tibbets or one of these guys who “brings so much more”, but we need PGs, even if that player is just a good shooter, good ball handler, good decision maker with limited upside.
I can agree that we need PGs. Our PG play this year is non existent. If I’m Asuma I would be licking my chops at an opportunity to play relatively close to home with a chance to play immediately

When I say do more I mean he doesn’t do anything really well. He does a lot of things very solid though

I can agree that we need PGs. Our PG play this year is non existent. If I’m Asuma I would be licking my chops at an opportunity to play relatively close to home with a chance to play immediately
I believe he is licking his chops on that exact point

They need to get:

Jayden is going to be a 5 star

Top Bottom