There's quite a list here...

Justin Walley returning

Daniel Jackson returning

Darius Taylor returning

Max Brosmer commit

----------

That's a lot of positive news recently.

----------

Regarding Brosmer: what does Gopher Hole think? Is it likely that Brosmer will be an immediate upgrade at QB, which is often regarded as the most important position in football?

At this point it appears to be a meaningful upgrade. Of course we will know nothing until the spring game at the soonest.

Agreed, lots of good news. It would seem Max is a big upgrade from Athan. I hope it pans out that way. And I hope the coaching staff take full advantage of that instead of wearing out another running back. I’m looking forward to seeing what Max and Jackson can do if given the chance.

RE: Brosmer, seems like a very good get. Everything I've seen says he was sought after, and he put up excellent numbers in the JV division. More importantly, he is a senior, so we won't have to hear "young quarterback" as an excuse every time we lose a game.

Will be curious to see how he is used. Felt like chicken and egg this year where, some said we didn't pass much because AK wasn't playing well, and others said AK wasn't playing well because we weren't throwing much. I've said it before, I don't want to turn into the air raid, but I want to pass often enough that the other team can't just stack the box, and well enough that we can punish them when they do stack the box.

Speaking of Max, I was a little pissed after listening to a different Max--Mike Max--poo-poo the arrival of Brosmer on the news last night. Free press and all, but he just seems so sour when it comes to Gophers' football.

Speaking of Max, I was a little pissed after listening to a different Max--Mike Max--poo-poo the arrival of Brosmer on the news last night. Free press and all, but he just seems so sour when it comes to Gophers' football.
Max does not like the Gophers. He'd rather cover Hamline track and field.

Yep. Just because he can't accept UMN keeping up with the times (which is something new for the U), it has to be a bad thing. Grind the "change is bad axe" at the expense of the player, right out there in public.

It's almost as exciting as last year when BSF skipped out on a sure shot to play in the NFL to come back, Marquese Williams was committed (he had offers from PSU, Iowa and Notre Dame!!!!) and Athan was going to be the first Gopher QB to drafted since 1794.
LOL…this is absolutely true.

But that was last year! This year, Brosmer will be All-B1G, Jackson will put up greater numbers than Bateman, Walley will be a Thorpe finalist, and we’ll all get to relive 2019, but with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin!

It's almost as exciting as last year when BSF skipped out on a sure shot to play in the NFL to come back, Marquese Williams was committed (he had offers from PSU, Iowa and Notre Dame!!!!) and Athan was going to be the first Gopher QB to drafted since 1794.
You are reaching on the Williams one as Taylor was the back people were excited about. And dang people for having hope or actually trying to be positive about things....those jerks.

Yeah, I’m glad we were the only P5 to offer Brosmer and he took it without waiting for anyone else to offer anything, to come to a place that doesn’t throw the ball.

But forgive me please if I’m going to wait until after spring ball to declare him the savior of the program or Vic V 2.0

MNVC, it’s one thing to remain hopeful when the field is actually level, like with the Vikings.

College football is a joke right now, with how badly everything is stacked against non-elite programs.

Based on physical abilities and the little film I've watched, I think AK8 has the higher ceiling vs Brosmer if he can land in the right spot/offense. However, Brosmer's floor is much higher thank AK8. My prediction is we get a game manager that can make those crucial throws and/or have the field awareness to keep and tuck for a big first down. I'm not predicting All-B1G but I do think it is an upgrade.

MNVC, it’s one thing to remain hopeful when the field is actually level, like with the Vikings.

College football is a joke right now, with how badly everything is stacked against non-elite programs.
If your hopeful that the Gophers are going to win a National Championship sure, that isn't realistic.

Being glad BSF came back or thinking AK was going to be good are a different kind of hope though and are totally reasonable. Unfortunately BSF had a rough year (got better later in the season) and AK was never able to put it together.

Some fans however are just wired to always go for the negative spin on everything. Is what it is.

Based on physical abilities and the little film I've watched, I think AK8 has the higher ceiling vs Brosmer if he can land in the right spot/offense. However, Brosmer's floor is much higher thank AK8. My prediction is we get a game manager that can make those crucial throws and/or have the field awareness to keep and tuck for a big first down. I'm not predicting All-B1G but I do think it is an upgrade.
I have no idea about Brosmer, but I really didn't see the supposed athleticism from AK that everyone keeps talking about. I'll be honest, he didn't look any faster than Tanner Morgan.

Now maybe he was injured all season and we just didn't hear about it. Maybe the coaches handcuffed him regarding running...but either way I didn't see much athleticism. I saw that he can throw 100mph but that isn't always the best way to throw a ball.

Unless you have watched multiple New Hampshire games your opinions of new QB aren’t really informed. Mine aren’t.

Only Rutgers, Iowa, and Nebraska didn’t have a QB with a higher passer rating (I think) than AK

I bet New Hampshire guy can be 4th from the bottom or better, sight unseen. But I don’t know

Unless you have watched multiple New Hampshire games your opinions of new QB aren’t really informed. Mine aren’t.

Only Rutgers, Iowa, and Nebraska didn’t have a QB with a higher passer rating (I think) than AK

I bet New Hampshire guy can be 4th from the bottom or better, sight unseen. But I don’t know
Yeah....Brosmer being an upgrade seems like a very safe bet. How much of an upgrade remains to be seen.

If accuracy (skip passes or way over their head) and catchability (velocity and spiral spin rate) are the only metrics, then I agree Brosmer likely will throw more catchable balls more often.

Watch out fatgopher, DPO badly wants the mic so he can give another lecture on how we’ve never had read option in the playbook and anyone who thinks we did is a moron.

Yeah, I’m glad we were the only P5 to offer Brosmer and he took it without waiting for anyone else to offer anything, to come to a place that doesn’t throw the ball.

But forgive me please if I’m going to wait until after spring ball to declare him the savior of the program or Vic V 2.0
I had seen that he got a couple of ACC offers but I couldn't confirm those.

Didn't someone on Gopher Hole post a chart or table that showed the Gophers threw a higher % of passes last season than they had in any other year under Fleck?

LOL…this is absolutely true.

But that was last year! This year, Brosmer will be All-B1G, Jackson will put up greater numbers than Bateman, Walley will be a Thorpe finalist, and we’ll all get to relive 2019, but with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin!
So we'll finish the schedule 12-0! You read it here first folks!

The only question being is will we be snubbed by the CFP committee after winning the B1G and Brosmer suffers an injury?

Didn't someone on Gopher Hole post a chart or table that showed the Gophers threw a higher % of passes last season than they had in any other year under Fleck?
Someone posted that we threw 43% of the time in Big Ten games, which I think would be the most in Fleck's time here. It just didn't seem like it because of the large number of incompletions.

My dad is more of a MIAC/St. Thomas Guy

My dad is more of a MIAC/St. Thomas Guy
Being a MIAC grad, I do enjoy the fact that he does visit those campuses in search of stories and they are usually pretty good. I've just never understood his approach to the U of M. I don't think he should be humming Lesley Gore's "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows," but something a little more than "we'll see how this works out" would be nice to hear.

Being a MIAC grad, I do enjoy the fact that he does visit those campuses in search of stories and they are usually pretty good. I've just never understood his approach to the U of M. I don't think he should be humming Lesley Gore's "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows," but something a little more than "we'll see how this works out" would be nice to hear.
I never understand it as well. You think some Gopher fans never think we can win, the media truly believes it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom