Realistic expectations

Expectations for Pitino to keep his job. 10 Big Ten Conference wins and an NCAA Tournament bid.

Realistic expectations. 6 Big Ten wins. Pitino will lose his job if this happens and rightfully so.

Pitino is not coaching this team. He is relying heavily on the raw talent on this team to carry it through games. The two Michigan State losses show this. The Penn State loss echos this. He didn't reign this team in and focus them once they showed up in the national rankings. This team played like being ranked was enough to instill fear in Penn State. Their play shows that they don't realize that a national ranking means teams will play harder against you. The players (and coach?) fail to realize that you have to work harder once you are nationally ranked.

It is time for Pitino to show his actual coaching skills or this Big Ten season is lost. He can't rely on manipulating the talent of his players. He has to coach them into being a team. It is now or never for the coaching career of Richard Pitino.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Expectations for Pitino to keep his job. 10 Big Ten Conference wins and an NCAA Tournament bid.

Realistic expectations. 6 Big Ten wins. Pitino will lose his job if this happens and rightfully so.

Pitino is not coaching this team. He is relying heavily on the raw talent on this team to carry it through games. The two Michigan State losses show this. The Penn State loss echos this. He didn't reign this team in and focus them once they showed up in the national rankings. This team played like being ranked was enough to instill fear in Penn State. Their play shows that they don't realize that a national ranking means teams will play harder against you. The players (and coach?) fail to realize that you have to work harder once you are nationally ranked.

It is time for Pitino to show his actual coaching skills or this Big Ten season is lost. He can't rely on manipulating the talent of his players. He has to coach them into being a team. It is now or never for the coaching career of Richard Pitino.

So we're only winning 3 more games out of the 12 we have left? Everyone would've killed for us to be 3-3 at start of season. Remember 2-7 was likely for a lot of people on here? We won a couple we weren't expected to and yesterday we still were underdogs. PSU just beat Izzo a week ago. Is it a game we should've won? No doubt and I was pissed afterwards. But we lost by 2 and got NOTHING from Murphy and to some extent Mason and Murphy.

So Pitino forgot how to coach from the Purdue game until now? Thats hilarious. How about we let the season play out and stop speculating what it will take for RP to keep his job. There's 2 months of hoops to play yet! Ewert, take a deep breath off a bottle of Krazy glue and chill out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we're only winning 3 more games out of the 12 we have left? Everyone would've killed for us to be 3-3 at start of season. Remember 2-7 was likely for a lot of people on here? We won a couple we weren't expected to and yesterday we still were underdogs. PSU just beat Izzo a week ago. Is it a game we should've won? No doubt and I was pissed afterwards. But we lost by 2 and got NOTHING from Murphy and to some extent Mason and Murphy.

So Pitino forgot how to coach from the Purdue game until now? Thats hilarious. How about we let the season play out and stop speculating what it will take for RP to keep his job. There's 2 months of hoops to play yet! Ewert, take a deep breath off a bottle of Krazy glue and chill out.

I'm not doing a Paul Allen on this team. (Reference: After starting the 2016 season 5-0, Vikings radio guy, Paul Allen pronounced "I don't see another loss on the schedule." We know how the Vikings 2016 season turned out.)

However, this team is playing like last season's team. The only difference we do have more talent, but is it enough to be in the upper half of the Big Ten? No, not without solid coaching, which we haven't seen.

I am not seeing this team make enough of a change to be competitive in the Big Ten.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Glad you're keeping a level-headed perspective on things.

FYI, there's a Grand Canyon between Paul Allen and this doomsday view.

Glad you're keeping a level-headed perspective on things.

FYI, there's a Grand Canyon between Paul Allen and this doomsday view.
Doomsday? This is the season after the worst season in the history of Golden Gopher Men's Basketball. Shouldn't we be a little alarmed that we might be back on that path again?

It's pretty unreal. I'm glad all these people jumping off the band wagon are coaching.

It was a ROAD GAME people!!!! They are tough no matter who they play. This team was never gonna be a big ten contender....top 7 ....maybe.

Get a grip!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doomsday? This is the season after the worst season in the history of Golden Gopher Men's Basketball. Shouldn't we be a little alarmed that we might be back on that path again?

They have already exceeded last year's win totals, so that same path is no longer achievable. I take you're point, it's extremely concerning the way in which the team seems to completely deflate and we continue to have a void of leadership that can stem the tide. It's disappointing Mason hasn't been that guy over the past several games, he needs to be the one that recognizes where the ball needs to go to get high % shots when they're in a drought. They showed a lot of mental toughness vs PUR and NW, it exists and can be rediscovered, I hope it is sooner rather than later. I do agree Pitino needs to take a look in the mirror / make the adjustments / reign guys in / define roles. there was recognition in terms of shot selection / execution for the first 10 min, and it's hard to understand how the light switch gets turned off.

Happens to the best of them, did not think OSU would have a chance today. It ebs and flows.

I'm not doing a Paul Allen on this team. (Reference: After starting the 2016 season 5-0, Vikings radio guy, Paul Allen pronounced "I don't see another loss on the schedule." We know how the Vikings 2016 season turned out.)

However, this team is playing like last season's team. The only difference we do have more talent, but is it enough to be in the upper half of the Big Ten? No, not without solid coaching, which we haven't seen.

I am not seeing this team make enough of a change to be competitive in the Big Ten.

I'm watching MSU and one of the best coaches in the country, Tom Izzo, lose to winless Ohio State. Did Izzo forget what solid coaching is? His team was down 4 points with 20 seconds and the ball and looked like they were playing for the last shot.

Take one game at a time folks, it's what coaches do. This team is young and still learning to play with a target on their back. Pitino is also learning what buttons to push with his players and what combo works best and who to trust. I'm optimistic they will win 5-7 more B1G games and make the tourney.

Anything from 7 BT wins on up (coupled with no scandals) will have Pitino returning. ADs look at the where the program is headed. 7 wins - which would be really disappointing at this point would get us to 19 or 20 wins and Pitino would have the whole team coming back next year + Washington, a great point guard, Harris a great shooter and Fitzgerald. This team will be a BT contender next year. Right now we are 3-3 having played 4 road games and 3 of our games are against teams that will end up in the top three of the conference. Pretty good.

*They have already exceeded last year's win totals, so that same path is no longer achievable. I take you're point, it's extremely concerning the way in which the team seems to completely deflate and we continue to have a void of leadership that can stem the tide. It's disappointing Mason hasn't been that guy over the past several games, he needs to be the one that recognizes where the ball needs to go to get high % shots when they're in a drought. They showed a lot of mental toughness vs PUR and NW, it exists and can be rediscovered, I hope it is sooner rather than later. I do agree Pitino needs to take a look in the mirror / make the adjustments / reign guys in / define roles. there was recognition in terms of shot selection / execution for the first 10 min, and it's hard to understand how the light switch gets turned off.

Happens to the best of them, did not think OSU would have a chance today. It ebs and flows.

*This is where I the lightswitch goes off.

We have cleared the lowest bar. People should stop being critical of this team. B as in B, S as in S.

We are finding reasons to take our foot off the gas. We are celebrating the little things like finally being ranked nationally again. Woo-hoo! we're number 24! Woo-hoo! Then what happens? Our play goes straight down into the crapper, again.

Here's an idea, let's celebrate being ranked tenth in the nation, or ninth. That would be an accomplishment from last year.

If you can watch this year's team and think they're on the same path as last year, I can't help you. That's ridiculous.

*This is where I the lightswitch goes off.

We have cleared the lowest bar. People should stop being critical of this team. B as in B, S as in S.

We are finding reasons to take our foot off the gas. We are celebrating the little things like finally being ranked nationally again. Woo-hoo! we're number 24! Woo-hoo! Then what happens? Our play goes straight down the into the crapper, again.

Here's an idea, let's celebrate being ranked tenth in the nation, or ninth. That would be an accomplishment from last year.

Going from our worst season in decades to the top 25 isn't significant progress? You do realize we're one of the most improved teams in the country right? Single digit wins to top 10 ranking is a completely unreasonable expectation. If that's what you're expecting for year over year progress, I don't think you'll ever have fun watching sports.

Going from our worst season in decades to the top 25 isn't significant progress? You do realize we're one of the most improved teams in the country right? Single digit wins to top 10 ranking is a completely unreasonable expectation. If that's what you're expecting for year over year progress, I don't think you'll ever have fun watching sports.
Significant progress? Not for the coach. He has yet to produce teams that were significantly better than the one he had with Tubby's recruits. Pitino put this team solidly in reverse since coming here. So it can appear that he has made significant improvement, but he has yet to do better than his first season when he had players recruited by an experienced coach.

I think they win 5 or 6 more games and are a bubble team. That's a successful season in my book

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Realistic expectations: At least 7-11 in the B1G. Anything less is a major disappointment. My prediction is we end up at 8-10 or 9-9. At 9-9 we would probably be squarely on the bubble and need a win in the B1G tournament to feel good about our chances on Selection Sunday. Also, for those talking about the NIT, we would likely need to be at least 8-10 in the conference to get there, so don't consider that a given.

As far as the discussion of Pitino's job. I think he's safe at 7 or more B1G wins. Think he would survive with six. Fewer than six and I would not be surprised if a change is made. I don't really like the talk of "significant progress" as compared to last season. Think we can all agree that last season was unacceptable. Sort of like how a pitcher cannot create their own save situation in baseball -- a coach shouldn't get credit for improving on their own terrible season. If we were in the midst of another season like that Pitino wouldn't make it through the year. The minimum expectation was that this team would win a lot more games than last year. I think Pitino will be back next year. But I would add that next year the minimum expectation needs to be making the NCAA tournament. If a coach can't make a single NCAA tournament in 5 years there needs to be change.

MSU loses to Ohio State and Iowa crushed by NW - no really great teams or poor teams (Rutgers in Big 10) We are as good or as bad as any team - Need to be able to win games decided at the buzzer.

MSU loses to Ohio State and Iowa crushed by NW - no really great teams or poor teams (Rutgers in Big 10) We are as good or as bad as any team - Need to be able to win games decided at the buzzer.
Agreed. If we can win half, that's a really nice year.

9-9 would be really good.
7-8 wins I wouldn't be upset

Agreed. If we can win half, that's a really nice year.

9-9 would be really good.
7-8 wins I wouldn't be upset

I wouldn't be upset with 8 wins. And I think 8 wins is very attainable. 9 wins gets us in the tournament, which would be great. I think 9 is tough, but doable, especially if Mason and the other guys turn things around. 10 or more is attainable, but will be wildly hard. This is going to be a very topsy turvy year in this league.

I wouldn't be upset with 8 wins. And I think 8 wins is very attainable. 9 wins gets us in the tournament, which would be great. I think 9 is tough, but doable, especially if Mason and the other guys turn things around. 10 or more is attainable, but will be wildly hard. This is going to be a very topsy turvy year in this league.

Mason has not been the same since the end of the Purdue game. If I'm not mistaken that's the game he was grabbing his leg late. I think he might not be 100%

I'm still sticking with 8-10 wins. We'll be a bubble team. Hopefully we land on the good side of that bubble.

Realistic expectations: At least 7-11 in the B1G. Anything less is a major disappointment. My prediction is we end up at 8-10 or 9-9. At 9-9 we would probably be squarely on the bubble and need a win in the B1G tournament to feel good about our chances on Selection Sunday. Also, for those talking about the NIT, we would likely need to be at least 8-10 in the conference to get there, so don't consider that a given.

As far as the discussion of Pitino's job. I think he's safe at 7 or more B1G wins. Think he would survive with six. Fewer than six and I would not be surprised if a change is made. I don't really like the talk of "significant progress" as compared to last season. Think we can all agree that last season was unacceptable. Sort of like how a pitcher cannot create their own save situation in baseball -- a coach shouldn't get credit for improving on their own terrible season. If we were in the midst of another season like that Pitino wouldn't make it through the year. The minimum expectation was that this team would win a lot more games than last year. I think Pitino will be back next year. But I would add that next year the minimum expectation needs to be making the NCAA tournament. If a coach can't make a single NCAA tournament in 5 years there needs to be change.

Seems reasonable to me

I think Pitino will be back next year. But I would add that next year the minimum expectation needs to be making the NCAA tournament.

There is ZERO CHANCE of Pitino losing his job; ZERO. A bad week does not dismantle what is truly building upwards here in the Barn. We'll even lose this Saturday, but again, his seat is not going to be getting hot. The foundation is solid and the incoming pieces are going to be BIG. And we are still going to hit 9 wins in conference and we will slip into the Dance this March. There will be an open bar at my house that week and I'll be dancing my ass off as we upset a 7 seed! Go Gophers!

Going forward?

4-3 at home.

2-3 on the road.

That's a pretty bare minimum expectation. Gophers have progressed enough where anything below .500 in the B1G would be disappointing.

My realistic expectations involve just getting the elements back on track, and the wins and losses will take care of themselves. We know Nate is capable of all-conference caliber play. We've seen them run good offense and get good looks regularly during games. We've seen them defend like the dickens. In most games, they've taken care of the ball.

They're still a relatively young team, and young teams tend to be inconsistent. My overarching expectation is that they mature during the course of the season and perform more consistently. This is a talented squad, a couple disappointing losses notwithstanding.

My fear is the team unraveling and going into the tank the rest of the year, which I could easily see happening. Hopefully Mason and Dupree find what they have lost lost the last three games. Going to need them against Wisconsin or they have no shot.

Yes it was a rough couple of weeks but, 2 months of quality basketball is not ruined by 2 bad games. I think the ranking got to the team's heads and that hurt. According to ESPN braketology we are still a #6 seed with no change to our rating and we are a top 15 in both RPI and SOS, which the committee mostly looks at. We will see how the next few weeks progress but we still should be expecting a tourney berth.

It's virtually impossible not to be disappointed with the loss at home to MSU and this loss to PSU. Should have won both - certainly the PSU game. But trying to keep things in perspective as preseason expectations were relatively low for this team - at least wasn't expecting 15-4. They need to get things figured out offensively though. Tough to watch the past few games. 6 more wins should be feasible, I think.

I still think Minnesota ends up at 8-10 in conference. Which isn't a total failure IMO.

We end up 6-12.

Top Bottom