Rating Leidner's skills...

You may be right about Streveler, though I think its fair to say he had a nice 70 td run and a very accurate long completion in the spring game. Perhaps he's a better thrower than we realize?
In some ways, he reminds me of a Beathard as compared to a Rudock for Iowa. And they finally made the switch.

You're just trolling us at this point arent you?

You may be right about Streveler, though I think its fair to say he had a nice 70 td run and a very accurate long completion in the spring game. Perhaps he's a better thrower than we realize?
In some ways, he reminds me of a Beathard as compare to a Rudock for Iowa. And they finally made the switch.

Weren't you just saying that calling out "one game" doesn't represent ability?

Leidner is what he is. A game manager. Can he become more than that, I don't see why not? His amazing leadership, work ethic, etc. No doubt it's all true, but I've heard that same thing about every QB we've ever had, so I take it with a grain of salt. He's good enough to win games with right now though, has the physical tools to get better & still has two whole years left at the helm. I like where we're sitting with Mitch.

Beat Bucky is related to Strevler (dad uncle brother)

his hatred for Mitch has to come from somewhere

He compares Mitch to some of the best (as they were as seniors) while he was a RS Sophomore and had limited PT as a RS freshman

For me I like ML7 and i will give him time as the Guy for this season. CS5 should actually have talked to the coaches for a move to TE and this kid would be going to the NFL, Big fast and should have good hands

Our team hope is to be a head enough to get the 2nd team some PT so that we can see them in real game situations.

looking at the Spring game and talking about Chris' long run and a completing a pass or two when he cant get hit is not something i would bring up.

Leidner is what he is. A game manager. Can he become more than that, I don't see why not? His amazing leadership, work ethic, etc. No doubt it's all true, but <b>I've heard that same thing about every QB we've ever had</b>, so I take it with a grain of salt. He's good enough to win games with right now though, has the physical tools to get better & still has two whole years left at the helm. I like where we're sitting with Mitch.

I agree with all this. Especially the bold part.

Honestly, I'd be satisfied with him if he plays ONE great game against Wisconsin. Haven't seen that yet.

Well, he's only played ONE game against Wisconsin ever in his life. You're acting like Leidner has played many times against them.

Mitch Leidner is still growing in the position of QB and there is no reason to think that his play continues to improve. He fits well into Kill's system. He is certainly better than Marquies, Nelson or Shortell. Yes, he can be frustrating at times, but he will keep getting better and my guess is the guy who follows Mitch at QB will be more athletic and an upgrade at the position. Like Kill said, it's about recruiting better players! And by the way, there aren't that many great QB's in the college game, I would say Mitch is about average among Power 5 players at his position and probably ends up better than avg before his career is done.

GO GOPHERS!

Mitch Leidner is still growing in the position of QB and there is no reason to think that his play continues to improve. He fits well into Kill's system. He is certainly better than Marquies, Nelson or Shortell. Yes, he can be frustrating at times, but he will keep getting better and my guess is the guy who follows Mitch at QB will be more athletic and an upgrade at the position. Like Kill said, it's about recruiting better players! And by the way, there aren't that many great QB's in the college game, I would say Mitch is about average among Power 5 players at his position and probably ends up better than avg before his career is done.

GO GOPHERS!

+1. The coaching staff likes to keep pressure on players as well. If one of the backup QB's is killing it in practice this year he will see some time on the field.

+1. The coaching staff likes to keep pressure on players as well. If one of the backup QB's is killing it in practice this year he will see some time on the field.

That's a good take, I think. If you listened carefully to Jerry Kill at the BigTen meetings, he made a special point that "Mitch has to get better" and "We need more out of our passing game." I think even coach realizes that qb play like we saw in the Wis and OSU and TCU games is not going to cut it at this point in the program.

Who made you Propaganda Minister? Take your censorship back to China or Saudi Arabia or the campus:)

Speaking of a Propaganda Minister your ongoing tirades on a variety of subjects qualifies you as one, especially when it comes to Leidner.

Leidner is what he is. A game manager. Can he become more than that, I don't see why not? His amazing leadership, work ethic, etc. No doubt it's all true, but I've heard that same thing about every QB we've ever had, so I take it with a grain of salt. He's good enough to win games with right now though, has the physical tools to get better & still has two whole years left at the helm. I like where we're sitting with Mitch.

I don't disagree with your take at all.
But what I was asking in the original post is...is Leidner good enough to get the program to the next level, into championship play and winning the Axe and a big bowl game? Or is the ceiling another 8 win season and maybe Floyd or the Governor's Bell? Or might another qb be given that opportunity?

I don't disagree with your take at all.
But what I was asking in the original post is...is Leidner good enough to get the program to the next level, into championship play and winning the Axe and a big bowl game? Or is the ceiling another 8 win season and maybe Floyd or the Governor's Bell? Or might another qb be given that opportunity?

Nothing like starting a QB controversy in July....

I have been a Leidner critic at times, but here's the reality: barring injury, he will start every game for the rest of his career. Bring the back-up QB talk to the amateur board, because he is the best we have and will be until he leaves.

Nothing like starting a QB controversy in July....

I have been a Leidner critic at times, but here's the reality: barring injury, he will start every game for the rest of his career. Bring the back-up QB talk to the amateur board, because he is the best we have and will be until he leaves.

There's some truth in that but I have to ask...How do you know "he's the best we have?" They said the same thing about Philip Nelson didn't they? And Christian Ponder.

You rate quarterbacks by how many games they win. Leidner has led the team to 8 wins two years in a row. Joe Kapp was a lot uglier as a QB and was named NFL Player of the year in 1969. He was named team MVP and turned it down. Leidner is becoming comparable in his ability to lead. Leidner will get better on the field and his leadership will remain his strength.

Jeff George, Jay Cutler two guys with 10x the talent can't win nothun' Judge quarterbacks by winning...it's the only measure that matters.

Joel Stave may have more wins than any other Big Ten QB...is he the best?

Evidently he is the best for his team

Joel Stave may have more wins than any other Big Ten QB...is he the best?

You don't judge anything strictly on one thing. But, when it comes to quarterbacks they have a major influence in who wins the game. They make critical plays in big moments or you lose.
Might not even be noticeable to anybody, but maybe the QB, your leader, fired up a lineman before the 3rd down play with a glare or a comment and you just got the first down running over that guy clearing space.

You play to win. You play the quarterback who gives you the best chance to win. Intangibles are pretty hard to rate from the stands. Sometimes the only way is results.

I do think Leidner benefits from a very good defense. He also benefits from a good scheme. But lets say we can't run versus TCU. Let's say Leidner can't move the ball and we are down by two touchdowns or more in the second half. If Perra is healthy and looks good in August and the situation is as outlined, I believe he will play because he gives the team the best chance to win through the air. Quarterbacks are judged on winning and coaches realize they are too.

There's some truth in that but I have to ask...How do you know "he's the best we have?" They said the same thing about Philip Nelson didn't they? And Christian Ponder.

What I do know is that the coaches know a hell a lot more than you do. That is enough for me.:rolleyes:

You don't judge anything strictly on one thing. But, when it comes to quarterbacks they have a major influence in who wins the game. They make critical plays in big moments or you lose.
Might not even be noticeable to anybody, but maybe the QB, your leader, fired up a lineman before the 3rd down play with a glare or a comment and you just got the first down running over that guy clearing space.

You play to win. You play the quarterback who gives you the best chance to win. Intangibles are pretty hard to rate from the stands. Sometimes the only way is results.

I do think Leidner benefits from a very good defense. He also benefits from a good scheme. But lets say we can't run versus TCU. Let's say Leidner can't move the ball and we are down by two touchdowns or more in the second half. If Perra is healthy and looks good in August and the situation is as outlined, I believe he will play because he gives the team the best chance to win through the air. Quarterbacks are judged on winning and coaches realize they are too.

We may see multiple QBs in the game anyway. Leave it to Kill & Limegrover to to devise a surprise for TCU. We've got to start using multiple weapons both on the ground and in the air.

Get this information to Coach Kill ASAP. It's likely he and his staff have never considered evaluating the back-ups.

Kill has said that this year's personnel is closer to what they had with their good teams at Northern Illinois (in terms of depth). Don't forget - they used two QB's at Northern when they had two guys who could both play at a quality level and help the team win. There is no reason to think that they wouldn't do the same thing with the Gophers. As others have stated, QB depth (and quality of play) has been one of the bigger issues for Kill & Staff at MN.

I, for one, would like to see them use more than one QB to give opponents a different look, and limit the number of hits on the starter. We will have to wait and see what happens during practice to see whether Perra can leapfrog Streveler into the #2 spot. I don't think Croft sees the field this year - unless he is clearly better than the other candidates - or (hope not) there are injury issues.

Get this information to Coach Kill ASAP. It's likely he and his staff have never considered evaluating the back-ups.

You hit the nail right on the head. It always feels like beat bucky is auditioning for the lead role in a film called "Clueless at The Gopher Hole."

1. Because he started every game last year when healthy.
2. Because he is always with the 1s at practice.
3. Because he's clearly the best QB at practice.
4. Because he's a team captain.
5. Because of the 100+ guys on the team, they just brought him to Chicago Media Days.
6. Because Streveler went 1-7 passing against SJSU in his only start.
7. Because the staff has consistently talked about his improvement.
8. Because he is clearly viewed as a leader on the team by both the staff and his teammates.
9. Because Perra is a walk-on from Roseville with no other offers.
10. Because if it isn't clear that Leidner is the best QB on the roster right now, you really have no clue what you're talking about.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/7/31/9073381/analyze-this-mitch-leidner

Facts:

Mitch is entering his third year of play for the Gophers, having played in 22 games the previous two years, starting 16. Mitch's career line is 165 completions in 315 attempts for a completion percentage of 52.4%. Mitch has thrown for 2,417 yards, 7.7 YPA, 14 TDs, and 9 interceptions. In 2014, Mitch's line was 122/237 for a 51.5% completion percentage and 1,798 yards to go along with 7.59 YPA, 11 TDs and 8 interceptions.

Question:

Is it reasonable to believe that Mitch Leidner will be a QB who can complete 60% of his passes, throw for enough yards to maintain a balanced offensive attack, and lead this team to another year of improvement on the offensive side of the ball?

Conclusion:

It is very reasonable to expect a statistical improvement, but the burden is on Mitch to prove he can be consistent and reliable when his team needs him most. To get to that point, Mitch needs help from his line and his coaching staff.

Reasoning:

Follow the link and read for yourself

Top Bottom