Rashod Bateman is fast. Source: Rashod Bateman

Yes but the throws are higher percentage when lined up in the slot opposed to outside.
For less yards per catch.

Part of what made our offense so good in 2019 was giving Morgan lots of time to let medium-long routes develop and then be able to hit those longer throws with good accuracy.

For less yards per catch.

Part of what made our offense so good in 2019 was giving Morgan lots of time to let medium-long routes develop and then be able to hit those longer throws with good accuracy.
Less yards per catch but his total yardage was up, which is all that really matters.

Less yards per catch but his total yardage was up, which is all that really matters.
Disagree. All that matters is total touchdowns and wins.

I don’t care that they forced be ball to him 30 times per game, when we lost as much as we did.

For Bateman himself, I think he would choose another year like 2019 over what he achieved per game in 2020.

From CBS Sports:

Minnesota Pro Day
Thursday, April 1

Biggest opportunities:
WR Rashod Bateman

Bateman is billed as one of the most complete wideouts in the class with better size than all the premier receiver prospects bound to go early in Round 1. His objective is an old school one -- run somewhere in the 4.40s, and he'll go in the first round. A vertical above 35 inches would go a long way in reaching that goal too.

PFF's new mock has Bateman going 15th overall to the Pats. First mock that I've seen with him being the third receiver off the board. Ahead of Waddle.
Most mocks I've seen have had him high-to-mid 2nd, but who knows how teams/needs match up. He could easily end up in the 1st round. I don't know how many of the guys publishing mock drafts are living in their mom's basement, but some of the more serious sites (if any of this can be labelled "serious") seem to like Toney out of Florida and Rondell Moore ahead of Bateman.

Most mocks I've seen have had him high-to-mid 2nd, but who knows how teams/needs match up. He could easily end up in the 1st round. I don't know how many of the guys publishing mock drafts are living in their mom's basement, but some of the more serious sites (if any of this can be labelled "serious") seem to like Toney out of Florida and Rondell Moore ahead of Bateman.

I don't know if I've seen many showing him going mid second. Most have been late first or early second. Not sure what constitutes "serious". But I'd think PFF would land there. SI...hard to know.

Tankathon? 19th to Washington.

I have a feeling that the newer mocks are going to have him going mostly first round now that he's posted a sub 4.4. But what he puts up at the combine will probably determine that. Sub 4.4 at the combine and he'll probably be the third or fourth receiver.

Bateman rules. Will be a good/really good pro I think. Hard to argue with that as a 2nd round pick. Receivers in the first are hit and miss.

I don't know if I've seen many showing him going mid second. Most have been late first or early second. Not sure what constitutes "serious". But I'd think PFF would land there. SI...hard to know.

Tankathon? 19th to Washington.

I have a feeling that the newer mocks are going to have him going mostly first round now that he's posted a sub 4.4. But what he puts up at the combine will probably determine that. Sub 4.4 at the combine and he'll probably be the third or fourth receiver.
I'll admit he's higher than when I checked last week. The thing to remember about PFF is that they had Tyler Johnson in the late-1st/early-2nd last year.

I'll admit he's higher than when I checked last week. The thing to remember about PFF is that they had Tyler Johnson in the late-1st/early-2nd last year.
I don’t think that is true. Please provide proof.

I've never heard of that either.....but I feel like I would have remembered that. Even so....I assume that they have different writers that create these mocks.

Just know that there is some skepticism of Bateman's times out there. He ran the 40 at Exos which is also where he pays (agent pays) to train for the draft. Tylan Wallace, the Oklahoma State Wide Receiver, also trains at Exos and also reportedly ran a 4.39. Like Bateman, he wasn't projected to run that fast. The lack of a centralized combine is going to create a lot of issues like this for teams this Spring.

Just know that there is some skepticism of Bateman's times out there. He ran the 40 at Exos which is also where he pays (agent pays) to train for the draft. Tylan Wallace, the Oklahoma State Wide Receiver, also trains at Exos and also reportedly ran a 4.39. Like Bateman, he wasn't projected to run that fast. The lack of a centralized combine is going to create a lot of issues like this for teams this Spring.
I assume Bateman will run at the MN pro day as well

It's gonna be fun watching Bateman win the Lombardi Trophy with TJ, Winfield Jr, and his new best friend Tom Brady next year.

I don't subscribe to PFF, but this is what I could copy from their website regarding Johnson before the last draft. They had him in their Top 50, so I overstated a bit by saying late 1st/early 2nd. But PFF was very high on Johnson as indicated by the italicized text below.

Johnson has been one of college football’s best wideouts over the last two years, posting a two-year PFF receiving grade that is by far the best and a yards per route run total (3.50) that makes him the most productive in that stretch (second is CeeDee Lamb at 3.42). In this year’s historic wide receiver class, Johnson rings in as WR11 and the 49th-best prospect overall. PFF's lead draft analyst Mike Renner compared him to Davante Adams.

Compared to other scouts and experts in the media, PFF is very high on Johnson. Almost every other big board you’ll see views Tyler Johnson as a third-round pick at best, with a majority calling him a Day 3 product. One prominent draft expert went as far as saying he’s not much more than a sixth- or seventh-round pick.

So, why is everyone bearish on Tyler Johnson and hesitant to call him a second-round pick like PFF?

So, there's your proof.

As for my slap at mocks in general, I don't take any of them that seriously.

The lack of a centralized combine is going to create a lot of issues like this for teams this Spring.
It would be a great time for the scouts and teams to realize that the 40 time is not very predictive of NFL success and times that are measured outside the combine are even worse.

Sunday, April 4: Bateman rising up draft boards after pro day​

There aren’t really NFL Draft risers and fallers in the way water-cooler discussions suggest. Sure, there can be horrid interviews with front-office executives, and a shocking pro day workout can alter trajectories. For the most part, prospect evaluations rise and fall as folks pore over more game tape and explore existing information of the hundreds of players in the draft pool.

Take, for example, Minnesota wide receiver Rashod Bateman. Scouts were aware of his route-running panache entering last season, one in which Bateman initially opted out of playing before appearing in five games for the Golden Gophers. Solid work is applauded, but not always coveted, by the highlight-reel scouts on social media, so the 6-foot-3 target isn’t mentioned in the same breath as a member of the elite tier of wide receivers that includes LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase.

That’s fine, but that has probably also led to the undervaluing of Bateman’s potential. After he ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at his pro day, the buzz is back — even though, as NFL.com draft analyst Bucky Brooks noted, many of the reasons to like Bateman have been front and center from the jump.

“The Minnesota standout checks off all of the boxes as a No. 1 receiver with his capacity to play out wide or in the slot while displaying outstanding speed, burst and explosiveness as a crafty route runner and playmaker,” Brooks wrote. “The sure-handed Bateman catches everything within the strike zone while also making the spectacular catch look like a routine play. He displays A-plus hand-eye coordination and snatches balls in traffic prior to absorbing (or avoiding) big shots as he works between the hashes.”

The Athletic’s Dane Brugler slotted Bateman at No. 42 in the most recent update of his top-100 prospects list.

“Bateman is a natural hands-catcher with length and excellent route savvy who relies on tempo and pacing to create separation,” Brugler wrote. “While he is deliberate with his footwork, he lacks explosive burst off the line or out of his breaks and his acceleration falls below NFL standards at the position.”

Consider the teams picking in the late section of the first round. The Ravens, Saints, Packers and Chiefs, all with selections in the Nos. 27-31 range, could take a wide receiver. Bateman’s skill set translates perfectly with all schemes. There’s some sincere momentum with his draft stock — not because teams weren’t aware of Bateman’s game, but side-by-side comparisons with other receivers, and that 40 time, made any re-examinations an enjoyable endeavor.

15. New England Patriots

Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

The Patriots’ biggest weakness in 2020 was their lack of pass-catchers. Bateman is one of the draft’s top receivers. Although many are concerned after his lighter-than-expected Pro-Day weigh-in, the Minnesota product’s 33-inch arms will help him in contested catch situations. What’s more, Bateman’s game is predicated on his excellent route-running. He also answered questions about his speed by running a 4.39 40-yard dash.

15. New England Patriots

Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

The Patriots’ biggest weakness in 2020 was their lack of pass-catchers. Bateman is one of the draft’s top receivers. Although many are concerned after his lighter-than-expected Pro-Day weigh-in, the Minnesota product’s 33-inch arms will help him in contested catch situations. What’s more, Bateman’s game is predicated on his excellent route-running. He also answered questions about his speed by running a 4.39 40-yard dash.

Wouldn't surprise me, but they already signed two WRs and two TEs this offseason. Those are patches though, so maybe they'll draft for the long term with Rashod.

Top Bottom