Ra'Shede Hageman's performance so far

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Hey, I always liked this kid. Love the story.

For some of you that know the intricacies of the game, how's he doing this year? I don't need a "Google, copy/paste" of his stats, I am more interested in the "what's it mean".

I think many of us (either on this board or in our head) had unrealistic expectations for him with respect to number of sacks. How's he doing in other areas?

• Taking on double teams
  • Knock-downs
  • Tipped passes
  • Tackles for loss
  • etc

What's your take on big 'Shede?

For some of you that know the intricacies of the game, how's he doing this year? I don't need a "Google, copy/paste" of his stats, I am more interested in the "what's it mean".

I think many of us (either on this board or in our head) had unrealistic expectations for him with respect to number of sacks. How's he doing in other areas?

• Taking on double teams
  • Knock-downs
  • Tipped passes
  • Tackles for loss
  • etc

He's playing lower more consistently. It doesn't always show up in the stats, but I've watched him specifically the first two games, and even while being #AggieVisioned, you can see him driving 1 or 2 players off the line, making it more disruptive in the backfield, and easier for other players to make plays.

• Taking on double teams
  • Knock-downs
  • Tipped passes
  • Tackles for loss
  • etc

One thing I saw when I rewatched the UNLV and NMSU games is that Hageman has struggled with his endurance in these first two very hot games against up tempo offenses, but when he needs to make a play, he's flashed dominance.
I think when the weather cools and he gets to "mash" against B1G opponents rather than run to the flats every other play after another quick pass for 4 yards he'll be a gamechanger.

I also think our Ends haven't done a good job of cleaning up plays when the DT's get pressure. We miss DL Wilhite right now IMO, more than anyone from last year's club.
He'll end up with 6-9 sacks, 15-20 TFL and a bunch of tackles, I'll even say he blocks another FG.

• Taking on double teams
  • Knock-downs
  • Tipped passes
  • Tackles for loss
  • etc

Very solid question and I know there are people in here that are very good at watching for this kind of stuff. It is important to note like you did that a dominant DT is not always going to show up well on the stat sheet just given the nature of the position.

I have not noticed him a ton in the first two games outside of the monster blocked kick against UNLV but that certainly doesn't mean he is playing poorly. Will be very interesting to see how he progresses this year and where he ends up going in the draft next season. He is a virtual lock to get drafted but the round seems pretty up in the air at this point.

I think I saw this correct, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Against UNLV, Ra'shede Hageman blew up the pocket for Nick Sherry causing him to start to scramble. The play ended with Alex Keith getting the sack. That is an example of making a play and getting no statistic for it.

The two plays that stick out for me this season of his dominance are:

1) Blocked FG against UNLV. He got a little help from Roland Johnson on the blowup of the guard, but can you say freaky athleticism!

2) One of the 4th down plays against NMSU he drove his man into the backfield and tackled the RB for a loss. I watched that play over and over again in amazement. It was similar to what I would have done to my 40 lb, 5 year old son if he tried to block me. Definitely fun to watch!

Those two plays stand out in my memory as well.
The two plays that stick out for me this season of his dominance are:

1) Blocked FG against UNLV. He got a little help from Roland Johnson on the blowup of the guard, but can you say freaky athleticism!

2) One of the 4th down plays against NMSU he drove his man into the backfield and tackled the RB for a loss. I watched that play over and over again in amazement. It was similar to what I would have done to my 40 lb, 5 year old son if he tried to block me. Definitely fun to watch!

Mason was really on him negatively on a couple plays against NMSU.

I believe it was the UNLV game where Mase made a few negative comments about Sheed's play. Now, Mase making negative comments about bad defense.....somewhere there is some irony here!

Mason was really on him negatively on a couple plays against NMSU.

If I remember right Mason's comments had to do with Shede not playing within the framework of the defense and getting himself out of position in an effort to make a play. Or something along those lines, didn't really feel like he was being overly negative about him but maybe I missed some of the comments he made.

I believe it was the UNLV game where Mase made a few negative comments about Sheed's play. Now, Mase making negative comments about bad defense.....somewhere there is some irony here!

Beat me to it. Mason doesn't know jack *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about defense.

TBH i play pretty close attention to Shede and he has pretty much stood pat as far as helping his draft stock. the phrase "he's as good as he wants to be" is probably how most would describe him right now as he shows flashes of pure dominance (ie the play against NMSU where he single handedly ended the drive as some are mentioning) as well as moments of laziness/tiredness (ie he disappears at times). undoubtedly the scouts also take into account the plays he blows up but doesn't record a stat as well. overall he's still sitting in that late 1st to 2nd round range it seems. Whether or not it was the heat or whatever, if he wants to make himself into a sure-fire first rounder, he still has work to do on the aspect of his "motor". come big ten time, his stock will rapidly shoot up or down based on his performance. he's got a lot of money riding on his Big ten season this year.

If I remember right Mason's comments had to do with Shede not playing within the framework of the defense and getting himself out of position in an effort to make a play. Or something along those lines, didn't really feel like he was being overly negative about him but maybe I missed some of the comments he made.

this was pretty accurate at the times mason called him out. shede has to get used to teams using his size and aggression against him. he was pretty susceptible to the trap several times in that game.

So arm chair QB's know more than a Division 1 football coach on critiquing a player? Yep..only on The
Hole.

i was wondering this also. considering it was asked by OP how we all thought he was doing, i haven't found anything wrong with anyone's posts

Glad to see I am not the only one trying to figure out what Ruppert was talking about.

Glad to see I am not the only one trying to figure out what Ruppert was talking about.

I think his flywheel came lose on this one. There were 3 posts joking about the irony of Mason critiquing a defensive player . Hum? Then on the other hand perhaps ruppertflywheel is really wren.

Once again, my friends, into the breach we go.
It is almost pointless to read past a certain point on any thread on this board. It is just a matter of time until someone brings up Mason, Brewster, Maturi and/or wren and we go down the freaking rabbit hole.

Maybe that can be Gopherholes New Years resolution, never bring up Maturi, Brewster, or Mason again. W

I didn't really watch him in college, but Shede REMINDS me (I'm not saying he'll be as good as) Kevin Williams. Disruptive, gets a great push, gets his hands up and deflects passes, and disruptive in the FG kicking game.

Here's the thing guys. Why even bring Mason into the conversation? Go ahead and critique RaShede as what you are " arm chair QB " That being said, I'll take the comments of Mason to heart versus someone who probably hasn't played beyond flag football.

does anybody know Rashede's stats? as in tackles, TFLs, sacks and passes batted down? i believe he had a tackle for loss against UNLV and 5 total tackles and a batted down pass, and of course a blocked FG, and in the second game he had either 1 or 2 TFLs, i couldn't tell if it was a TFL or just a normal tackle and don't know if how many total tackles he had that game. it would be great if someone could find that for me, i tried to but it is hard to find tackle statistics since it is not an official stat

Top Bottom