Question for the board: What qualities are important to you in a head coach candidate?

How about we all read this book before we decide what qualities we want in a head coach.
2330103.jpg

I hope the new coach hires Damian Johnson as an assistant. He has experience as a coach and, more importantly, I assume that he's very plugged in with local high school players.
Some have said that, as a young parent, he won't be inclined to move into the meat grinder of college coaching.

On the other hand, when Twitter followers have posted that he should be on the Gopher staff some day, he's liked those tweets. Make of that what you will.

One way or another, he's developing himself as a well rounded coach. In his words, he learned so much about basketball from the professional coaches he played for in Europe. He truly apprenticed in coaching by playing. More important than anything, probably, is that he loves the game and loves coaching. And he does love the Gophers a lot.

Recruiting is #1 I truly think you win with Jim's and Joe's more than x's and o's

2nd, I want him to have a presence. That is kind of vague but some coaches just exude that confidence and thought of Hey we're going to win this! Examples include Fleck, Ryan Day at OSU, Wright at Nova or even like Jessica Allstair when she here with the softball team, I felt her teams overachieved because they felt they should.

Recruiting with a purpose sure. Star rankings don't necessarily correlate as the Texas Techs and other like schools of ours prove. Washington has tons of guys in the NBA and they are awful every year it seems.

Sure, you can pick out a team here or there that dont have as much NBA talent and do good or a team that has NBA talent that fails but overall, talent wins. I do agree the star ratings are not the end all be all but you have to have top end talent. You can say UVa doesnt recruit 5* guys, that may be true, but fact is Hunter/Jerome/Guy are all in the NBA, this year without them UVa is a good but not great team.

I have no idea how much effort Pitino has put into developing good relationships with Minnesota High School programs or other local Basketball programs, but someone that could do that would be nice.

Also, a coach that could recruit more reserve players whose skill sets go beyond merely the ability to keep the bench warm and cozy.

Last edited:

I want a guy who's a great X and O coach who gives us an advantage strategically. Our last 3 coaches have not been that and with our usual average at best talent level, that's a killer.

Sure, you can pick out a team here or there that dont have as much NBA talent and do good or a team that has NBA talent that fails but overall, talent wins. I do agree the star ratings are not the end all be all but you have to have top end talent. You can say UVa doesnt recruit 5* guys, that may be true, but fact is Hunter/Jerome/Guy are all in the NBA, this year without them UVa is a good but not great team.
Ok, then how about Xavier, Purdue, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Cincinnati, and actually the list gets long. They recruit under the radar guys and don't churn out a ton of pros yet are very successful. The list with teams littered with 5 star guys tend to underwhelm a lot of the times. Recruiting matters, but finding guys who stick around and get old is most important for a program like ourselves

How many teams are going to have a bunch of NBA talent once the NBA's one-and-done rule expires?

Actually UVA is extremely limited with one of the worst shooting teams in college basketball but they are so well coached and so great defensively. They win. Even better is what it does for them next year. It is coaching. Plus, they recruit the guys that are 5 stars in their mind, like a Joe Harris, Brogdon, Hunter, Guy and Jerome. They recruit character, skill sets that match, high IQ, unselfish guys.His next is his best class when you factor in the red shirt on Shedrick, plus you add Hauser. The class after is shaping up to be even better. Parents are all in. Every recruit knows what the non negotiables are coming in. They built a identity and now a brand.

Winning is the quality I most want.

The #1 quality is having the blessing of Badger Built. THAT would lead to unending success.

Yes cause Richard doesn't believe free throws are important....
Haha! I love it when people come on here that think richard doesn't work on free throws, or that because were a bad shooting team that he doesn't work on shooting either. Never been associated with a basketball team in my life, whether it be 8th grade girls or high school boys, where they didnt work on free throws at practice.

We need a great recruiter and a great motivator of men.
Second, that person needs to surround him/herself with great X and Os assistants who can breakdown opponents and coach up excellence in players.

UMN should not be getting the scraps that fall to the floor when we recruit. This is a world class University in a world class metropolitan area. Players should be begging to get in.

Haha! I love it when people come on here that think richard doesn't work on free throws, or that because were a bad shooting team that he doesn't work on shooting either. Never been associated with a basketball team in my life, whether it be 8th grade girls or high school boys, where they didnt work on free throws at practice.

Agreed, it's such a simpleton argument.

Top Bottom