Question for the board: What qualities are important to you in a head coach candidate?

EG#9

Reaction score
A lot of posters are throwing out their lists, or just their number one choice, for the Gopher basketball job. Because so many posts (I had some of these years ago believe it or not) start with "I really like Pitino", I wonder how many really value liking something about the coach's personality? I think it's fair to assume that a history of a strong defense is important to builtbadgers. Does a style of play or a particular strength on one side of the ball carry a specific weight for you? How about being from Minnesota or the midwest? Is it important that the coach recruit the best players from Minnesota or would you be just as happy with equally talented/rated players from elsewhere wearing the Maroon and Gold?

I remember really not being excited by the idea of Tony Bennett (I believe this was when Tubby was hired). I didn't want to watch his style of play and thought it had a clear ceiling to it because top talent wouldn't want to play games in the 40's and 50's. Not only was I proven wrong by his success, but I've since realized (or a decade more of disappointments changed my mind) that I really care far more about just winning the most possible games however it's done than watching basketball that I consider good or entertaining. We can play like the 7 seconds or less Suns (or Loyola Marymount from back in the day) or grind it out like Virginia and I'll take whatever style wins. I use this example because I want it to be ok in this thread for people to say " I want to watch an offensive power house" or " I want to watch a team that grinds out every possession on defense" and for that to be ok and not be challenged by other posters. I'd prefer for this thread to just be people sharing their thoughts on their own preferences and biases and not about debating who has the right set of preferences.

Someone that can recruit and construct a roster where the starters do not have to play 38 minutes every game.....Leading them to be dead-dog tired down the home stretch...Someone who is smart enough to realize that maybe we shouldn't be shooting 30 threes a game considering the 3-pt percentage is god awful....Finally, someone who has established a winning culture and will not be learning on the job for 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Good topic.

#1 priority. If hiring a current head coach, I want a program-builder, a guy that built a program from the ground up, even better a guy that's done that at multiple places. That doesn't necessarily mean they've won a bunch of NCAA Tournament games or even got their team(s) to the NCAA Tournament, but they've done grunt work and their program(s) improvement is obvious. That's why guys like Scott Nagy (South Dakota State, Wright State), Niko Medved (Furman, Drake for 1 year, Colorado State), and Bobby Hurley (Arizona State) appeal to me. And though not a requirement, a coach that has Big Ten/Midwest ties.

For starters, I've been one of those people who've been on the record that Bennett's or his dad's or Bo Ryan's offensive styles suit me just fine. To me, the most beautiful basketball is where the players know what they're doing out there and conduct/move with a purpose. And that they've been taught well enough that they do it without the bench holding their hand.

To the question of the OP: this is going to sound like a copout answer, but a major conference caliber coach should be able to do everything well. They should be a total package: recruiting, coaching, PR, program and roster management, the works. Big picture and details. So that's the first thing I'd look for as an AD: someone who's complete and well rounded without holes in his game.

Specifically...
-Enough experience that they know what they're doing and have developed a way of doing things before they come here
-Their way of doing things is a combination of historical practice, borrowed material, and their own creations and wrinkles; anybody who's innovated new styles and tactics automatically goes to the top of my list, especially if those tactics throw things at the other team that they're not used to seeing or need to specially prep for; Bo's Swing Offense is an obvious example
-Generally inclined to innovate and grow; one thing I loved about Bud Grant was that he insisted his coaches be innovative; his teams and staff were innovating and inventing up til the end of his tenure; he hired young, energetic coaches with fresh ideas
-Analytics oriented; I want the next Brad Stevens or Rocco Baldelli in any sport
-Can teach, especially with the limited practice time allowed
-Is not just an offense guy or a defense guy; needs to be an enthusiast for both sides of the court
-Knows what to look for in evaluating talent; not that I'm any kind of savant, but I found myself at a Hill-Murray girls game several years ago, and Tessa Cichy knocked my socks off; I said, she's gonna be a D1 standout, and sure enough, she had a nice career at UW; did the Gophers even offer her?
-Effortlessly connects with people of all stripes; and to be clear, you don't have to be an extrovert to do this, but it is a talent

I'm starting to feel like I could go on and on with these bullet points, so I'll cut it off here (and maybe edit more in later!)

I think Pitino's inability to construct a roster has actually been his biggest failure at the U. It would have been nice to land on some of those good local players, but I know that's difficult - - especially when you aren't winning many games.

Our lack of depth has cost us, severely throughout his time here. All coaches have some misfortune (injuries) and have turnover, we are the least prepared program I have ever seen when it comes to making adjustments.

If we had depth this year, I honestly believe we make the NCAA tournament. If we had depth last year, who knows? We had our best player playing out of position to overcome Pitino's recruiting blunders/roster mismanagement. 2016-2017 team essentially played 7 players.

Good topic.

#1 priority. If hiring a current head coach, I want a program-builder, a guy that built a program from the ground up, even better a guy that's done that at multiple places. That doesn't necessarily mean they've won a bunch of NCAA Tournament games or even got their team(s) to the NCAA Tournament, but they've done grunt work and their program(s) improvement is obvious. That's why guys like Scott Nagy (South Dakota State, Wright State), Niko Medved (Furman, Drake for 1 year, Colorado State), and Bobby Hurley (Arizona State) appeal to me. And though not a requirement, a coach that has Big Ten/Midwest ties.
Agree with this.

Bobby Hurley is an interesting name. He is on the verge of getting that program to three consecutive NCAAs for the first time in 60 years. . Though I would find it hard to believe Hurley would make a move form ASU to Minnesota.

I hope the new coach hires Damian Johnson as an assistant. He has experience as a coach and, more importantly, I assume that he's very plugged in with local high school players.

Agree with this.

Bobby Hurley is an interesting name. He is on the verge of getting that program to three consecutive NCAAs for the first time in 60 years. . Though I would find it hard to believe Hurley would make a move form ASU to Minnesota.
Almost zero chance he comes here. He has his eyes on jobs that will come next.

Runs an honest program clearly within NCAA rules.

I would like a coach who has a defense first mentality. Recruits towards it and makes it his priority. I could care less if there is one MN kid on the roster, so ties to here aren't important to me. Want a person who teaches well and uses analytics on offense. Lastly I want someone who doesn't cheat as well.

experience and track record in building a competitive team (not at a div. 2 school in a small conference).

Runs an honest program clearly within NCAA rules.

Win at all costs and don't get caught when you cheat to do so. This is entertainment and a business first and foremost. Not some noble rah-rah play for your alma mater nonsense.

An acceptable level of experience (at least four or five years of head coaching and at least as many years of assistant coaching) for this league

An acceptable level of coaching achievement within the sport; the coach should have at least 2 or 3 twenty + win seasons

Preferably has a style that is entertaining but effective defense is even more important in this conference

Has an eye for talent but also cares even more about building a complete team (yes, a couple of really good players are not enough

Believes in establishing a program of skill development

Has good interpersonal skills to be able to handle young athletes

Believes in the importance of establishing a culture (like Fleck)

experience and track record in building a competitive team (not at a div. 2 school in a small conference).

In general, yes, but I wouldn't rule out a coach like that. Prior to arriving at Wisconsin, Bo Ryan spent all but two years of his head coaching at the DIII level.

I would like a coach who has a defense first mentality. Recruits towards it and makes it his priority. I could care less if there is one MN kid on the roster, so ties to here aren't important to me. Want a person who teaches well and uses analytics on offense. Lastly I want someone who doesn't cheat as well.

All good traits but don't get too carried away on the analytics. A team can't live on layups and 3 pointers alone.

All good traits but don't get too carried away on the analytics. A team can't live on layups and 3 pointers alone.

So you don't want an analytically driven coach offensively? Any good one is

Someone who doesn't let the other team needlessly extend the game in 5 second increments and can coach the last 5 minutes without their hand around their neck.

I hope the new coach hires Damian Johnson as an assistant. He has experience as a coach and, more importantly, I assume that he's very plugged in with local high school players.

This is the kind of mentality that needs to go away. Former players, ties to Minnesota may be nice, but they should not be the main qualification for a job as a head coach or assistant. No heart strings.

Yes cause Richard doesn't believe free throws are important....

Most of his teams have shot around 70%.

If it was a priority that number would increase over time as he recruited and coached. If he recruits and plays guys that can't hit free throws that's 100% a coaching problem.

I think Pitino's inability to construct a roster has actually been his biggest failure at the U. It would have been nice to land on some of those good local players, but I know that's difficult - - especially when you aren't winning many games.

Our lack of depth has cost us, severely throughout his time here. All coaches have some misfortune (injuries) and have turnover, we are the least prepared program I have ever seen when it comes to making adjustments.

If we had depth this year, I honestly believe we make the NCAA tournament. If we had depth last year, who knows? We had our best player playing out of position to overcome Pitino's recruiting blunders/roster mismanagement. 2016-2017 team essentially played 7 players.
I agree 100% with your take on not being prepared for injuries/suspensions. Rosters are always a disaster after 2 or 3 players. He is a bad recruiter overall. That is a fact at this point. He is a terrible game coach. That is reflected with his record and blown games late. What is to like? His personality? Please. .

Someone with a clear vision for the identity they want to establish for their program, and a track record showing they can actually do it.

I don't think Pitino is a bad recruiter, I actually think he's done a decent job. He just flat out struggles in-game coaching. At the college level you cannot roll the ball out and expect the players to win games for you. The good coaches win close games in the last 5 minutes. Mediocre and bad coaches just hope the players can pull it off. You don't often see home teams give up 10-0 and 10-1 runs to end games, and that's coaching. Usually it's the other way around when you're at home. Gotta bring somebody in who can help will guys to win down the stretch. That's not inherent in college players. If we lose this roster, we lose it. It's time to implement a new mentality with the program. Bring in some intensity and consistency.

Good topic.

I'm with you on Scott Nagy. Having a great year with Wright State, and has progressed year by year (now in Year 4). I'd like to think this is a job he would stay through retirement, and also has local ties being at South Dakota St. Craig Smith interests me too being from Minnesota and having the continued success now at Utah St. after South Dakota. Nagy seems more established but I think it's a plus to find a successful guy from Minnesota or with strong ties. Easier for fans to rally around. Success (wins) being number one though.

Recruiting is #1 I truly think you win with Jim's and Joe's more than x's and o's

2nd, I want him to have a presence. That is kind of vague but some coaches just exude that confidence and thought of Hey we're going to win this! Examples include Fleck, Ryan Day at OSU, Wright at Nova or even like Jessica Allstair when she here with the softball team, I felt her teams overachieved because they felt they should.

Top Bottom