Projected 2 Deep

DE: Striggow - Logan-Redding (he might start because he is better against the run)
DT: Baugh - Eastern/Schuster
DT: Carter - Richter
DE: Joyner - A. Smith
LB: Lindenberg - Williams/LeCaptain
LB: Oliver - Willis
CB: Walley - Stapp
CB: Bishop - Pless
S: Dixon - Gousby
S: Green - Bryson

QB: Athan - Kramer
RB: Potts - Evans - Williams
TE: BSF - Kallerup - Geers
WR: Wright - Allen
WR: CAB - Brockington
WR: Jackson - MBS
LT: Ersery - Guedet
LG: Carroll - Cooper
C: Boe
RG: Shaw
RT: Lewis - Guedet

OL is really hard because it's difficult to really make a guess on any of the rFR or FR. I think we will add at least 1 transfer, probably in the interior.

DL is also tough and "starter" doesn't really mean as much. I think Logan-Redding will play on a lot of first downs and could definitely slide to DT on passing downs.
I just don't buy that Carroll moving to Guard is a thing, even if it makes sense to fans. He started the whole year at tackle, so I think he'll continue being our starting RT.

Guedet hasn't played much in 4 years in the program (2019 redshirt). Has 2 years of eligibility left, so would seem like a transfer candidate to me, unless he really is content riding the bench for his career. Or, he would seem like a better candidate to give guard a shot, than Carroll.

My wild guessing

Agree Boe wins the Center job. Shaw could be 2023's version of (the older) Ruschmeyer. Need another Guard to step up. Maybe transfer in, we'll see.

DE: Striggow - Logan-Redding (he might start because he is better against the run)
DT: Baugh - Eastern/Schuster
DT: Carter - Richter
DE: Joyner - A. Smith
LB: Lindenberg - Williams/LeCaptain
LB: Oliver - Willis
CB: Walley - Stapp
CB: Bishop - Pless
S: Dixon - Gousby
S: Green - Bryson

QB: Athan - Kramer
RB: Potts - Evans - Williams
TE: BSF - Kallerup - Geers
WR: Wright - Allen
WR: CAB - Brockington
WR: Jackson - MBS
LT: Ersery - Guedet
LG: Carroll - Cooper
C: Boe
RG: Shaw
RT: Lewis - Guedet

OL is really hard because it's difficult to really make a guess on any of the rFR or FR. I think we will add at least 1 transfer, probably in the interior.

DL is also tough and "starter" doesn't really mean as much. I think Logan-Redding will play on a lot of first downs and could definitely slide to DT on passing downs.
Hoskins doesn’t crack the 2 deep at wr?

Special teams player.

He technically could have been a 7 year guy, as he redshirted 2018, covid 2020, and then missed 2021 with injury. But roster bio shows 23 is his last year, so they didn't even bother filing for a medical waiver for 2021.

Aune also participated in Senior Day, so I'd say there is a better than 50/50 chance he moves on with his life. If he didn't crack the rotation at LB this year, I don't think he jumps over the guys coming back plus any young guys (Williams, Baranowski, Gerlach, Stolsky) or a potential portal LB this offseason.

Thanks didn't realize that, so then he's done. At least for the Gophers. They need to clear scholarship room, happens every year.

I just don't buy that Carroll moving to Guard is a thing, even if it makes sense to fans. He started the whole year at tackle, so I think he'll continue being our starting RT.

Guedet hasn't played much in 4 years in the program (2019 redshirt). Has 2 years of eligibility left, so would seem like a transfer candidate to me, unless he really is content riding the bench for his career. Or, he would seem like a better candidate to give guard a shot, than Carroll.

My wild guessing

Agree Boe wins the Center job. Shaw could be 2023's version of (the older) Ruschmeyer. Need another Guard to step up. Maybe transfer in, we'll see.
I don't mean this in a bad way, but you realize that's a new Ruschmeyer right?

I put Carroll at guard because he played both in spring game and we have much better options right not at OT than we do at OG. I just think Lewis or even Guedet are closer to being starters than Jackson Ruschmeyer.

I think where Carroll plays next year will depend on what transfers we bring in.

Hoskins doesn’t crack the 2 deep at wr?
He might but he'd have to pass MBS on the depth chart. As of right now, I have no reason to think he has but that is entirely going off what we know now.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but you realize that's a new Ruschmeyer right?

I put Carroll at guard because he played both in spring game and we have much better options right not at OT than we do at OG. I just think Lewis or even Guedet are closer to being starters than Jackson Ruschmeyer.

I think where Carroll plays next year will depend on what transfers we bring in.
Last sentence is correct, no matter what. If an amazing OT transfers falls from the sky into our laps, well then that is that.

Fair enough that he played both in the Spring.

If we have better options at Tackle, then they would've been starting at Tackle this year over Carroll, and Carroll would've started at Guard.

Lewis clearly was the next tackle in. He came in briefly in the Iowa game when Ersery had to come out. So ahead of Guedet who has been here for four years (including redshirt and covid).

I get what you're saying. If Lewis isn't capable of playing guard, but Carroll is, the team is better off with Carroll at G and Lewis at RT. Fine, that seems correct and I could buy that.

If he can catch ... then he should pass MBS on the depth chart.
I agree. I just didn't have any reason to think he has passed MBS on the depth chart, putting him ahead of MBS rather than Ike White or Dino.

I will say this though, I was annoyed with MBS as much as anyone this year, his drops really did change the course of the season. However, he gets open and he does stretch the field a bit.

Aune also participated in Senior Day, so I'd say there is a better than 50/50 chance he moves on with his life. If he didn't crack the rotation at LB this year, I don't think he jumps over the guys coming back plus any young guys (Williams, Baranowski, Gerlach, Stolsky) or a potential portal LB this offseason.

Also sounds like (from elsewhere on the Gopher webs), it's not a 100% guarantee that Oliver comes back for another year. So that will be an interesting development to watch.

If he can catch ... then he should pass MBS on the depth chart.

Let's remember that Ike White actually got more playing time than Hoskins this year as well

My wild guessing

Same- Has he ever played guard?

Also sounds like (from elsewhere on the Gopher webs), it's not a 100% guarantee that Oliver comes back for another year. So that will be an interesting development to watch.
Medically retiring or going for the League early like Nubin?

Medically retiring or going for the League early like Nubin?

I don't think he has a shot at the league at this point. His play was fairly inconsistent this year. This was his fifth year, so I think anytime a guy is considering a 6th year, I'm guessing it's a mutual conversation the staff wants to have. It seems like from a PT standpoint, Oliver would be in a great position to be a top 3 LB next year. But he already has dealt with major injuries and should have his degree AND he also may want to see if we get a portal LB (this is just speculation on my part)?

I think the Gophers should make a bold move for an established RB from another school in the portal. The Gophers have a lot to offer from a system and opportunity standpoint, and I'm not sure we've got a star on the roster for 2023.
How is going to the portal to fill a massive hole a "bold move"? To me it sounds like an action to stay competitive.

SDE Logan-Redding/Anthony Smith
EDGE Joyner/Striggow
DT Carter/Richter
DT Eastern/Schuster
Dline will have alot of bodies, guessing Jeffries, Sugers and Schwartz will battle for some reps as well. Baugh still have another year?
MIKE Lindenberg/Finnessy
SAM Oliver/Williams
WILL Willis/Williams
CB Walley/Flemming/Pless
CB Bishop/Flemming/Pless (Stapp still around?)
Nickel Dixon/Watson (Maybe Flemming plays Nickel if Dixon a Safety?
SS Green/Bryson
FS Maybe Dixon goes here instead of Nickel? Bryson or Gousby in the mix
P Crawford/McGrath
K Dragon/Lewis
LS Weeks

QB Athan/Kramer or Knuth
RB Potts/Evans or Williams
WR CrAB/Allan
WR Wright/Brockington
Slot Jackson/Hoskins (Think MBS Transfers)
TE BSF/Kallerop/Geers
LT Ersery/James or Purcell
LG Cooper/Shaw
C Boe/Shaw
RG Carroll/Shaw/Lawrence
RT Lewis/James or Purcell
* Think Shaw will be the 6th olineman, think it will come down to him or Cooper at LG, or if Shaw wins Center, Boe will play LG. Carroll I think would be better served inside, perhaps Lewis will be ready with another year, he was close last season, battling Carroll in training camp. After that I am just not sure what to expect for backup tackles or if any of James, Purcell or Tony Nelson will be ready to challenge for starting RT. I am assuming JJ transfers, but maybe he sticks around to compete for a starting spot? Not sure what to make of Beers and McConnell other than there's a ton 5th-6th year guys on the interior.
Overall with the schedule next year, couple West teams breaking in new regimes as well. I think this will be an 8-4, 5-4 type of year. Maybe 9-3 6-3 if it breaks right, Floor is 7-5 4-5

LG Cooper/Shaw
C Boe/Shaw
RG Carroll/Shaw/Lawrence
* Think Shaw will be the 6th olineman, think it will come down to him or Cooper at LG, or if Shaw wins Center, Boe will play LG. Carroll I think would be better served inside, perhaps Lewis will be ready with another year, he was close last season, battling Carroll in training camp. After that I am just not sure what to expect for backup tackles or if any of James, Purcell or Tony Nelson will be ready to challenge for starting RT. I am assuming JJ transfers, but maybe he sticks around to compete for a starting spot? Not sure what to make of Beers and McConnell other than there's a ton 5th-6th year guys on the interior.
Cooper, like Guedet, has been in the program for four calendar years, hasn't seen much playing time, and have 2 years of eligibility remaining (redshirt + covid).

Boe played a bit at Guard this year. If Shaw looks good at Center, I could go with Shaw C and Boe G.

SDE Logan-Redding/Anthony Smith
EDGE Joyner/Striggow
DT Carter/Richter
DT Eastern/Schuster
Dline will have alot of bodies, guessing Jeffries, Sugers and Schwartz will battle for some reps as well. Baugh still have another year?
MIKE Lindenberg/Finnessy
SAM Oliver/Williams
WILL Willis/Williams
CB Walley/Flemming/Pless
CB Bishop/Flemming/Pless (Stapp still around?)
Nickel Dixon/Watson (Maybe Flemming plays Nickel if Dixon a Safety?
SS Green/Bryson
FS Maybe Dixon goes here instead of Nickel? Bryson or Gousby in the mix
P Crawford/McGrath
K Dragon/Lewis
LS Weeks

QB Athan/Kramer or Knuth
RB Potts/Evans or Williams
WR CrAB/Allan
WR Wright/Brockington
Slot Jackson/Hoskins (Think MBS Transfers)
TE BSF/Kallerop/Geers
LG Cooper/Shaw
C Boe/Shaw
RG Carroll/Shaw/Lawrence
Overall with the schedule next year, couple West teams breaking in new regimes as well. I think this will be an 8-4, 5-4 type of year. Maybe 9-3 6-3 if it breaks right, Floor is 7-5 4-5

Finnessy had a very bad knee injury in the Iowa game, so he very well may not be part of the 2 deeps for next season unfortunately.

Cooper, like Guedet, has been in the program for four calendar years, hasn't seen much playing time, and have 2 years of eligibility remaining (redshirt + covid).

Boe played a bit at Guard this year. If Shaw looks good at Center, I could go with Shaw C and Boe G.
He has, but he's also a local boy who started off (and might still be?) a walk on, saw him get some run in garbage time, I figured he'd be less likely to leave than JJ. Either way it's going to be an interesting Portal Season, an interesting Spring and an interesting post Spring Portal season. This list might be alot different come training camp

You need to put Knuth behind Athan at QB. Consider Kramer for any wildcat situation.

Agree to disagree. PJ is incredibly conservative, and truly believes the "ball is the program". I don't see him turning to an untested Freshman, over a Senior.

I believe that Knuth has the skill set similar to Athan, and he will need to see some field time and a fair shot, or he will portal out, not unlike Strevler.
No offense, but I don't think they're comparable in terms of skill set. Knuth is good. Athan is special. In terms of ranking, Knuth out of HS is much closer to Kramer, than to Athan.

I agree. I just didn't have any reason to think he has passed MBS on the depth chart, putting him ahead of MBS rather than Ike White or Dino.

I will say this though, I was annoyed with MBS as much as anyone this year, his drops really did change the course of the season. However, he gets open and he does stretch the field a bit.

The Moneyball quote applies here. If he's a good hitter [receiver], why doesn't he hit [receive] good?

The Moneyball quote applies here. If he's a good hitter [receiver], why doesn't he hit [receive] good?
It's not that I'm saying he's a "good hitter", I'm just saying I'm not sure we have a better "hitter".

He has made big plays for us and has a pretty high career YPR. He was our third leading receiver this year and our second leading receiver last year. Don't get me wrong, his drops really bothered me too but we're not talking about a guy who has never produced for us.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Portal is going to shake up the 2-deeps.

my long-shot bet: at least 1 starting OL next year will come from the portal. and I will say 1 LB and 1 DB from the portal will at least be in the 2-deeps.

- If Darius Taylor enrolls early (which I believe is expected), I think he makes an impact at RB

We have an entering freshman RB from PA who is every bit as highly regarded as Taylor (take a look at his offer list). Hardly anyone ever mentions him around here.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Portal is going to shake up the 2-deeps.

my long-shot bet: at least 1 starting OL next year will come from the portal. and I will say 1 LB and 1 DB from the portal will at least be in the 2-deeps.

I would agree that offensive lineman would be primary targets (agree with your other targets as well). Three promising offensive linemen have dropped in the last two days:

A starting offensive lineman from Stanford
A starting offensive lineman from U Cal
A starting, 1st team all conference lineman (sophomore) from Rhode Island. Yes, this is an FCS player but we've managed to recruit a number of them before who have earned substantial playing time

It's not that I'm saying he's a "good hitter", I'm just saying I'm not sure we have a better "hitter".

He has made big plays for us and has a pretty high career YPR. He was our third leading receiver this year and our second leading receiver last year. Don't get me wrong, his drops really bothered me too but we're not talking about a guy who has never produced for us.

MBS is like that baseball reliever who has had a fair enough career but has blown one too many critical save opportunities. He appears to have lost the fans. Whether he has lost Fleck, I don't know but it may be telling that he had no receptions against Wisconsin while Brockington had 2 and Wright had 5.

We have an entering freshman RB from PA who is every bit as highly regarded as Taylor (take a look at his offer list). Hardly anyone ever mentions him around here.

Yes I'm well aware of Marquese Williams and his offer list. I think I actually posted about it this thread or the Transfer Portal Target thread. I just think with Taylor enrolling early and Williams being a bit smaller build, it's more likely Taylor makes an impact next year and maybe Williams redshirts. Just my take

Top Bottom