Projected 2 Deep

gopherguy06

Reaction score
Anyone take a stab at the 2 deep with starters returning?

DE: Striggow - Logan-Redding (he might start because he is better against the run)
DT: Baugh - Eastern/Schuster
DT: Carter - Richter
DE: Joyner - A. Smith
LB: Lindenberg - Williams/LeCaptain
LB: Oliver - Willis
CB: Walley - Stapp
CB: Bishop - Pless
S: Dixon - Gousby
S: Green - Bryson

QB: Athan - Kramer
RB: Potts - Evans - Williams
TE: BSF - Kallerup - Geers
WR: Wright - Allen
WR: CAB - Brockington
WR: Jackson - MBS
LT: Ersery - Guedet
LG: Carroll - Cooper
C: Boe
RG: Shaw
RT: Lewis - Guedet

OL is really hard because it's difficult to really make a guess on any of the rFR or FR. I think we will add at least 1 transfer, probably in the interior.

DL is also tough and "starter" doesn't really mean as much. I think Logan-Redding will play on a lot of first downs and could definitely slide to DT on passing downs.

DE: Striggow - Logan-Redding (he might start because he is better against the run)

OL is really hard because it's difficult to really make a guess on any of the rFR or FR. I think we will add at least 1 transfer, probably in the interior.

DL is also tough and "starter" doesn't really mean as much. I think Logan-Redding will play on a lot of first downs and could definitely slide to DT on passing downs.
You need to put Knuth behind Athan at QB. Consider Kramer for any wildcat situation.

You need to put Knuth behind Athan at QB. Consider Kramer for any wildcat situation.
Yeah, possibly.

I tried to just go off the information we know right now. I think it's definitely possibly Knuth moves into the backup position, but that would have been me guessing.

Yeah, possibly.

I tried to just go off the information we know right now. I think it's definitely possibly Knuth moves into the backup position, but that would have been me guessing.
I believe that Knuth has the skill set similar to Athan, and he will need to see some field time and a fair shot, or he will portal out, not unlike Strevler.

Can we at least get to the Spring game first?

Three quick thoughts:

- I hope Booker is a factor at DE
- I think Tariq Watson might be in front of Pless
- If Darius Taylor enrolls early (which I believe is expected), I think he makes an impact at RB

This seems pretty close as the roster stands today. But you only have 10 starters on D. Missing the nickel back, which was mostly Dixon's position this season.

I believe that Knuth has the skill set similar to Athan, and he will need to see some field time and a fair shot, or he will portal out, not unlike Strevler.
He’s either going to be patient and wait or he’s going to leave. No need to get him in the field if AK is better than him and healthy. Outside of blowouts of course. Fleck seems to have been pretty good at adding talented qb prospects.

I think the Gophers should make a bold move for an established RB from another school in the portal. The Gophers have a lot to offer from a system and opportunity standpoint, and I'm not sure we've got a star on the roster for 2023.
Would he do?

Agree. Beef him up a bit and convert Kramer to H-back. Give Athan another weapon.

Would he do?
Probably not. Too many injuries. I’d still take a gamble on him personally. He’s put in a lot of work to overcome some serious injuries. I just don’t know if he’ll ever live up to that 5 stars he once had, but gotta respect him for continuing to work through the rough times.

Last edited:

I know our defense is really good, but I still think we should put 11 players on the field. It’s not fair to the other team, but it’s only fair to the athletes who work their ass off in practice and want to see the field.

I know our defense is really good, but I still think we should put 11 players on the field. It’s not fair to the other team, but it’s only fair to the athletes who work their ass off in practice and want to see the field.
Yeah. Our lineup just fluctuates between adding a third S, third cb, or third LB. So that’s how I laid it out. I really don’t know what our base defensive alignment will look like next year.

I think the Gophers should make a bold move for an established RB from another school in the portal. The Gophers have a lot to offer from a system and opportunity standpoint, and I'm not sure we've got a star on the roster for 2023.
ABSOLUTELY -- 100 PER CENT AGREE!!

I would think the Gophers would be a very attractive landing spot - this is where Ky Thomas would have been the #1 guy instead he is battling 4 other guys for reps in Kansas. Good choice. I would think someone is going to say I can beat out Potts and be their number one guy.

ABSOLUTELY -- 100 PER CENT AGREE!!

I would think the Gophers would be a very attractive landing spot - this is where Ky Thomas would have been the #1 guy instead he is battling 4 other guys for reps in Kansas. Good choice. I would think someone is going to say I can beat out Potts and be their number one guy.
I believe Evans and the incoming freshmen both have significant upside and I’d be very surprised if they didn’t earn at least 50% of Carries next year.

I believe Evans and the incoming freshmen both have significant upside and I’d be very surprised if they didn’t earn at least 50% of Carries next year.
That may very well be true and I sincerely hope so! But they are still question marks and relatively unproven. Potts version 2021 would have been a viable option but Potts after the injury is another question mark.

I would also say if AK does not have that game vs. Wisconsin I might want to bring in a portal QB to compete with him, but that game alleviated some concerns and I do not think it is necessary anymore.

What happened to that 4⭐️ from AZ? I think his name is Ortiz, shouldn’t he be pretty good to start

That may very well be true and I sincerely hope so! But they are still question marks and relatively unproven. Potts version 2021 would have been a viable option but Potts after the injury is another question mark.

I would also say if AK does not have that game vs. Wisconsin I might want to bring in a portal QB to compete with him, but that game alleviated some concerns and I do not think it is necessary anymore.
I could see Evans starting or Potts given the role at the beginning but due to performance it changing to Evans shortly thereafter.

Top Bottom